Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Flash7

Parris Campbell

Recommended Posts

No doubt, Parris Campbell did not have the season we were hoping for last year. Since he wasn't a major part of the offense last year (due to a multitude of injuries) and eventually ended up on IR, it almost feels like he is an additional drafted player this year.

 

With the addition of P. Rivers, Pittman and Taylor, the offense has more firepower and much more potential. Parris Campbell has been quietly forgotten about. I think he will have a break out season and develop into the receiver we were hoping for. He's too talented not to.

 

Now with T.Y., Campbell, and Pittman, we have a formidable receiving corps, not to mention the other guys (Pascal, Fountain, Dulin, TEs and RBs etc.).

 

I'm excited to see what he can do this year.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree. If he can just stay healthy and learn to hold onto the ball, he should have a solid 2nd year!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Hope for everything, count on nothing

I hope so but I am worried about his fumbling issues and I thought he seemed soft when watching him play last year. Hopefully last year was a learning curve and he can stay healthy this year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't look to much into last season. Guy just continually got injured. Total fluke thing, hopefully it doesn't become the norm obviously.

 

He's definitely a burner with talent. Most fans and media loved the guy during the draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was never a good route runner at OSU. He was "good enough" at it, but certainly not among the best. That's what always limited him in the ways they could use him. I don't know how many times I watched him try to run a deep route to utilize his elite speed, and no matter the route, he always looked "uncomfortable" doing it.
 

I hope that's something he continues to develop and improve, because with the ball in his hands, you're all correct, he is electric. And I mean just a handful of guys in the league electric.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

He was never a good route runner at OSU. He was "good enough" at it, but certainly not among the best. That's what always limited him in the ways they could use him. I don't know how many times I watched him try to run a deep route to utilize his elite speed, and no matter the route, he always looked "uncomfortable" doing it.
 

I hope that's something he continues to develop and improve, because with the ball in his hands, you're all correct, he is electric. And I mean just a handful of guys in the league electric.

That's a pretty common issue with receivers who have elite speed coming out of college. They often didn't need to worry much about route-running--they could just outrun most, if not all, of the college defenders trying to cover them. Several of the receivers in this year's draft (e.g., Denzel Mims) fall into the same category: using elite speed + simple route trees in college.

 

Pittman, on the other hand, is almost the exact opposite: a non-burner with excellent hands and route-running skills who may be the most NFL-ready receiver in the 2020 draft. With enough size/length to physically dominate DBs who try press-man coverage against him.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Colts1324 said:

I agree. If he can just stay healthy and learn to hold onto the ball, he should have a solid 2nd year!

I mean everybody worrying  about taylor hanging on to the ball I'm worried  about Campbell  hanging  on to ball and staying  healthy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CelticColt said:

That's a pretty common issue with receivers who have elite speed coming out of college. They often didn't need to worry much about route-running--they could just outrun most, if not all, of the college defenders trying to cover them. Several of the receivers in this year's draft (e.g., Denzel Mims) fall into the same category: using elite speed + simple route trees in college.

 

Pittman, on the other hand, is almost the exact opposite: a non-burner with excellent hands and route-running skills who may be the most NFL-ready receiver in the 2020 draft. With enough size/length to physically dominate DBs who try press-man coverage against him.

Also said that mims had some drops

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today Campbell posted on Instagram  him working out with Scary Terry and Deon Cain. I hope he is staying in good condition. With his injury history and no off season workouts I worry about injuries again. Your right it’s like a extra draft pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

He was never a good route runner at OSU. He was "good enough" at it, but certainly not among the best. That's what always limited him in the ways they could use him. I don't know how many times I watched him try to run a deep route to utilize his elite speed, and no matter the route, he always looked "uncomfortable" doing it.
 

I hope that's something he continues to develop and improve, because with the ball in his hands, you're all correct, he is electric. And I mean just a handful of guys in the league electric.

Saying he was never a good route runner at OSU, is a bit misleading. 1) OSU's scheme pretty much limits all their WRs in the route tree area, and 2) Campbell was even a bit more limited by OSU's scheme because he was the gadget guy.

 

Not too worried about him looking uncomfortable. He was ramped up slowly (first 4 games), then hurt for 3 weeks, then ramped back up 2 weeks, then hurt for 4 weeks, then back 1, then out for the rest of the season. Not really a lot of time to get comfortable, nor did he get great targets.

 

He was also moved around a bit too much with TY also being out (he only played one week with TY after his first injury), so that likely impacts the comfort level too. Then add in JB struggled with anticipation (needed in a typical route Campbell ran), and rarely threw it to the seam or deep anyway.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm excited to see what he can do.  Hoping now that we have Rivers we'll see more deep routes utilizing his speed.  If nothing else he's a decoy the DB's have to account for every play.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Today Campbell posted on Instagram  him working out with Scary Terry and Deon Cain. I hope he is staying in good condition. With his injury history and no off season workouts I worry about injuries again. Your right it’s like a extra draft pick.

This is sort of related to one of the standard post-draft activities that to me gets annoying: so many of the "experts" giving each team's draft class a "grade" that essentially just rehashes their own pre-draft rankings.

 

It's especially annoying in the case of CB and the Colts because these guys usually don't include Buckner in their grading since Ballard didn't actually draft him. But because CB's 1st pick was used directly to get Buckner, IMO he should be included in any evaluation of the Colts' 2020 draft class, which would then be Buckner, Pittman, Taylor, Blackmon, Eason, Pinter, Windsor, Rodgers, Patmon and Glasgow, in addition to some intriguing UDFA's.

 

I didn't even like the Blackmon pick all that much (still would've preferred Elliott) but overall to me that's still a draft class that deserves a pretty high grade--higher than the B- or B that some "experts" have given it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, CelticColt said:

This is sort of related to one of the standard post-draft activities that to me gets annoying: so many of the "experts" giving each team's draft class a "grade" that essentially just rehashes their own pre-draft rankings.

 

It's especially annoying in the case of CB and the Colts because these guys usually don't include Buckner in their grading since Ballard didn't actually draft him. But because CB's 1st pick was used directly to get Buckner, IMO he should be included in any evaluation of the Colts' 2020 draft class, which would then be Buckner, Pittman, Taylor, Blackmon, Eason, Pinter, Windsor, Rodgers, Patmon and Glasgow, in addition to some intriguing UDFA's.

 

I didn't even like the Blackmon pick all that much (still would've preferred Elliott) but overall to me that's still a draft class that deserves a pretty high grade--higher than the B- or B that some "experts" have given it.

A TON of experts are saying the colts nailed this draft. So I think it’s a matter of who you chose to listen to and believe. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we know very little about Campbell as an NFL receiver.  The number of games he played his rookie season is just not enough to judge the type of route runner and big play guy he will become. This is his rookie season effectively.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bleevit said:

I think we know very little about Campbell as an NFL receiver.  The number of games he played his rookie season is just not enough to judge the type of route runner and big play guy he will become. This is his rookie season effectively.

Wouldn't call it rookie.. I'd say he took a redshirt lol... Was in the system for a year, just not on the field. Just hope he doesn't continue to have freak injuries...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CelticColt said:

This is sort of related to one of the standard post-draft activities that to me gets annoying: so many of the "experts" giving each team's draft class a "grade" that essentially just rehashes their own pre-draft rankings.

 

It's especially annoying in the case of CB and the Colts because these guys usually don't include Buckner in their grading since Ballard didn't actually draft him. But because CB's 1st pick was used directly to get Buckner, IMO he should be included in any evaluation of the Colts' 2020 draft class, which would then be Buckner, Pittman, Taylor, Blackmon, Eason, Pinter, Windsor, Rodgers, Patmon and Glasgow, in addition to some intriguing UDFA's.

 

I didn't even like the Blackmon pick all that much (still would've preferred Elliott) but overall to me that's still a draft class that deserves a pretty high grade--higher than the B- or B that some "experts" have given it.

 

I think most of us completely understand what you're saying. I don't think anyone is discounting the Buckner trade at all, but just grading the rookies added through the draft when not including the Buckner trade. That's all.

 

If it helps, and it should, I've seen multiple people so far rank the Colts as having the best moves of all teams in the league across the entire offseason, including trades, free agency and the draft. And that trumps any grade of any one individual part of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand he was injured but it’s going to take awhile for me to get my hopes back up on Campbell.  I wasn’t that impressed with what I saw from him last season.  I’m hoping he has a bounce back season and establishes himself as that slot game changer that many envisioned him to be. If he doesn’t then I think Pascal will do well enough as our three.  He is under rated in my opinion. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Steelers game gave us a very good glimpse of what we will do with Campbell. Reich figured out by that game to just get the ball in his hands instead of trying to make him a WR right away. We will see a lot of sweeps , him rushing the ball and slot WR. He is so much of s threat just get him the ball in open space. Very similar to what we saw from Deebo Samual last season. Especially in the SB. Hopefully he is staying in condition and keeping himself healthy with no off season programs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The Steelers game gave us a very good glimpse of what we will do with Campbell. Reich figured out by that game to just get the ball in his hands instead of trying to make him a WR right away. We will see a lot of sweeps , him rushing the ball and slot WR. He is so much of s threat just get him the ball in open space. Very similar to what we saw from Deebo Samual last season. Especially in the SB. Hopefully he is staying in condition and keeping himself healthy with no off season programs.

We did what we did, not because he was struggling as a WR, but because our QB was struggling. The entire playbook was dumbed down passing, and we went run heavy. And Pitt is not a good example because of the QB injury situation that game.

 

I'm not saying we won't see him on sweeps, etc.. but... I'd bet they prioritize him as a WR this year. They don't want to get him injured again and they likely have him tagged as TY's eventual replacement. I'd also bet they do what Ballard and Reich hinted to last year, which is moving him outside to Z (from slot) more and more as the year goes along. TY's health will likely dictate the speed at which they do that, but unless Fountain steps up (and assuming they use Fountain at Z), Campbell is the likely option there.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing would make me happier if Campbell developed at WR for TY replacement. He has Reggie’s size with Hilton’s speed. My main point is Reich kept saying it might take awhile to develop him as a route runner.  He seemed to forget early on how he could be used until that developed   Injuries then slowed him down more once Reich started using him more. 

 

I hate not having off season programs. It’s going to slow rookies development and players like Campbell. Hopefully they have some private coaches they are working with.  Hopefully they.m can start some in person work by June. The gov of Indiana today says he wants all sporting events back in stadiums by July 4th. Hopefully some of these govs in other states don’t drag their feet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, csmopar said:

A TON of experts are saying the colts nailed this draft. So I think it’s a matter of who you chose to listen to and believe. 

I don't believe any of them--I just monitor how the draft picks actually play, as rookies and beyond, and then give each draft class my own "grade"

 

And when I do that for this draft class in the future, my class will definitely include Buckner.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We really don't have much luck with OSU WR. Remember Tony Gonzalez with Peyton? Now politician. Paris's availability is Key. Being a speed guy the hamstrings are their weak point. The OSU player that really wanted to be a Colt last year was Terry McL. that landed with the Redskins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

I hope that's something he continues to develop and improve, because with the ball in his hands, you're all correct, he is electric. And I mean just a handful of guys in the league electric.

I’m worried if he can really develop that part of the game. OSU’s receiver coach is former NFL WR Brian Hartline. He’s been commended for how polished OSU receivers have been coming into the league (Thomas, Hill, McLauren). Parris is the only one who can’t run routes, despite having amazing coaching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s a bust.

 

Soft, can’t run routes, and one dimensional.

 

No clue why Ballard wasted a second  rounder on him.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I agree. If he can just stay healthy and learn to hold onto the ball, he should have a solid 2nd year!

Campbell did very well at Ohio State

 

Very reliable, very dynamic, never injured.....

 

I hope people don’t count him out

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Parris is the only one who can’t run routes, despite having amazing coaching.

Are you 100% sure of that?
 

Needs to work on routes, or needs some improvements in route running... maybe.... but... CANT? 
 

That seems very definitive......  Did you come to that conclusion by observation? Or by restating others?
 

Watch some OSU game highlights....... the kid can play football...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’m worried if he can really develop that part of the game. OSU’s receiver coach is former NFL WR Brian Hartline. He’s been commended for how polished OSU receivers have been coming into the league (Thomas, Hill, McLauren). Parris is the only one who can’t run routes, despite having amazing coaching.

Hopefully it was just him getting injured so much why he wasn’t able to show it off. I remember Campbell mentioning he worked a lot on his route running at OSU on his off time in case he was needed in a different role. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

He’s a bust.

 

Soft, can’t run routes, and one dimensional.

 

No clue why Ballard wasted a second  rounder on him.

Man.... we have prophets here....

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CelticColt said:

I don't believe any of them--I just monitor how the draft picks actually play, as rookies and beyond, and then give each draft class my own "grade"

 

And when I do that for this draft class in the future, my class will definitely include Buckner.

Like your take on this. Have to see it to believe it. This team has to stay healthy. We have depth this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, AustexColt said:

We really don't have much luck with OSU WR. Remember Tony Gonzalez with Peyton? Now politician. Paris's availability is Key. Being a speed guy the hamstrings are their weak point. The OSU player that really wanted to be a Colt last year was Terry McL. that landed with the Redskins. 

Lmao Roy Hall has to be added as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  I will take him on every bubble screen opportunity that has been going to TY.
  Our offense will be more diverse and TY has NO CHANCE of earning his salary.
   Take the under on 65 catches or 850 yds.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have high hopes for him. Injuries and a lousy QB caused Year 1 to be a do over. But he’s had top coaching over the past year, participated in a top strength and conditioning program, and been surrounded by pros who have shown him what it takes to succeed both on O and D.  It’s not a rookie year for him in 2020, and this kid has genuine talent. I think he’ll be a pleasant surprise to all the grumpy cynics on this Board 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he doesn’t fall down in the Steelers game going in for a score, we’re likely talking about what a stud he is.  The entire season turned on that play.  Jacoby hurt on next play, never regains mobility or confidence, and well, we end up with the 13th pick.  PC actually had a great game and was utilized how we envisioned...as a ‘do all’ type of player.  5 catches, 3 runs, and 2 returns, all resulting in chunk yardage and showcasing his speed and elusiveness.  If he stays healthy going forward, I think he’ll be fun to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s amazing how fast some people here jump off the bandwagon of young players.

 

One season and gone.

 

Frankly it’s embarrassing.....

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

He’s a bust.

 

Soft, can’t run routes, and one dimensional.

 

No clue why Ballard wasted a second  rounder on him.

After 1 whole year you know this, amazing thinking skills you have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

He’s a bust.

 

Soft, can’t run routes, and one dimensional.

 

No clue why Ballard wasted a second  rounder on him.


C’mon man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Historically receivers take a year or two before showing their value.  This last year was either an aberration or a result of the changes in the rules.  
 

im just saying to temper your expectations and don’t be disappointed if Pittman and/or Campbell don’t light it up this year.   I hope they do though! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Are you 100% sure of that?
 

Needs to work on routes, or needs some improvements in route running... maybe.... but... CANT? 
 

That seems very definitive......  Did you come to that conclusion by observation? Or by restating others?
 

Watch some OSU game highlights....... the kid can play football...

Being a playmaker/good football player does not mean you can run routes.

 

I watched him at OSU. He mostly just ran past everyone. Pittman is bigger than him but not as fast, yet is far more polished as a route runner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I didn’t say you did.  I said they were.   Marvin is fifth in career catches and Wayne is 10th.  Bruce is 13th and Holt doesn’t make the top 13.   Holt is 16th in career yards and 36th in TDs.     So Harrison tops Bruce in catches and TDs while Bruce has the edge in yards.  I think TDs and catches are much more important than yards. Wayne tops Holt in everything and tops Bruce in catches.     As a duo give me Harrison and Wayne.   Moss and Carter is another good duo although it was short lived and the Steelers had Stallworth and Swann.  Those are the best sets I can come up with.     The Steelers have been good at producing stud WRs as a franchise but I am not sure I would take them over Harrison and Berry who are probably two of the top 10 WRs to ever play the game and Wayne who is also probably going to end up a Hall of Famer.  
    • Where did I say they were?  Harrison and Wayne were 9th and 10th in career yards while Bruce was 5th. Harrison was 5th in TDs while Wayne was 24th. Bruce was 12th.  So it's debatable.   
    • Wayne and Harrison were just as good.
    • The St. Louis Rams had a couple of great WRs with Holt 1999-2008 and Bruce 1994-2007. Kind of hard to beat those two at the same time. Add Faulk 1999-2005 as he was maybe the best RB receiver in history. 
    • I love what Ballard has done with the roster, but honestly could care less about rankings.  Give me Ws...   Sorry man, couldn't help myself!  
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...