Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Parris Campbell

Flash7

No doubt, Parris Campbell did not have the season we were hoping for last year. Since he wasn't a major part of the offense last year (due to a multitude of injuries) and eventually ended up on IR, it almost feels like he is an additional drafted player this year.

With the addition of P. Rivers, Pittman and Taylor, the offense has more firepower and much more potential. Parris Campbell has been quietly forgotten about. I think he will have a break out season and develop into the receiver we were hoping for. He's too talented not to.

Now with T.Y., Campbell, and Pittman, we have a formidable receiving corps, not to mention the other guys (Pascal, Fountain, Dulin, TEs and RBs etc.).

I'm excited to see what he can do this year.

2 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Hope for everything, count on nothing

I hope so but I am worried about his fumbling issues and I thought he seemed soft when watching him play last year. Hopefully last year was a learning curve and he can stay healthy this year

I can't look to much into last season. Guy just continually got injured. Total fluke thing, hopefully it doesn't become the norm obviously.

He's definitely a burner with talent. Most fans and media loved the guy during the draft.

He was never a good route runner at OSU. He was "good enough" at it, but certainly not among the best. That's what always limited him in the ways they could use him. I don't know how many times I watched him try to run a deep route to utilize his elite speed, and no matter the route, he always looked "uncomfortable" doing it.

I hope that's something he continues to develop and improve, because with the ball in his hands, you're all correct, he is electric. And I mean just a handful of guys in the league electric.

15 minutes ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

He was never a good route runner at OSU. He was "good enough" at it, but certainly not among the best. That's what always limited him in the ways they could use him. I don't know how many times I watched him try to run a deep route to utilize his elite speed, and no matter the route, he always looked "uncomfortable" doing it.

I hope that's something he continues to develop and improve, because with the ball in his hands, you're all correct, he is electric. And I mean just a handful of guys in the league electric.

That's a pretty common issue with receivers who have elite speed coming out of college. They often didn't need to worry much about route-running--they could just outrun most, if not all, of the college defenders trying to cover them. Several of the receivers in this year's draft (e.g., Denzel Mims) fall into the same category: using elite speed + simple route trees in college.

Pittman, on the other hand, is almost the exact opposite: a non-burner with excellent hands and route-running skills who may be the most NFL-ready receiver in the 2020 draft. With enough size/length to physically dominate DBs who try press-man coverage against him.

1 hour ago, Colts1324 said:

I agree. If he can just stay healthy and learn to hold onto the ball, he should have a solid 2nd year!

I mean everybody worrying  about taylor hanging on to the ball I'm worried  about Campbell  hanging  on to ball and staying  healthy. 

8 minutes ago, CelticColt said:

That's a pretty common issue with receivers who have elite speed coming out of college. They often didn't need to worry much about route-running--they could just outrun most, if not all, of the college defenders trying to cover them. Several of the receivers in this year's draft (e.g., Denzel Mims) fall into the same category: using elite speed + simple route trees in college.

Pittman, on the other hand, is almost the exact opposite: a non-burner with excellent hands and route-running skills who may be the most NFL-ready receiver in the 2020 draft. With enough size/length to physically dominate DBs who try press-man coverage against him.

Also said that mims had some drops

20 minutes ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

Saying he was never a good route runner at OSU, is a bit misleading. 1) OSU's scheme pretty much limits all their WRs in the route tree area, and 2) Campbell was even a bit more limited by OSU's scheme because he was the gadget guy.

Not too worried about him looking uncomfortable. He was ramped up slowly (first 4 games), then hurt for 3 weeks, then ramped back up 2 weeks, then hurt for 4 weeks, then back 1, then out for the rest of the season. Not really a lot of time to get comfortable, nor did he get great targets.

He was also moved around a bit too much with TY also being out (he only played one week with TY after his first injury), so that likely impacts the comfort level too. Then add in JB struggled with anticipation (needed in a typical route Campbell ran), and rarely threw it to the seam or deep anyway.

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Today Campbell posted on Instagram  him working out with Scary Terry and Deon Cain. I hope he is staying in good condition. With his injury history and no off season workouts I worry about injuries again. Your right it’s like a extra draft pick.

This is sort of related to one of the standard post-draft activities that to me gets annoying: so many of the "experts" giving each team's draft class a "grade" that essentially just rehashes their own pre-draft rankings.

It's especially annoying in the case of CB and the Colts because these guys usually don't include Buckner in their grading since Ballard didn't actually draft him. But because CB's 1st pick was used directly to get Buckner, IMO he should be included in any evaluation of the Colts' 2020 draft class, which would then be Buckner, Pittman, Taylor, Blackmon, Eason, Pinter, Windsor, Rodgers, Patmon and Glasgow, in addition to some intriguing UDFA's.

I didn't even like the Blackmon pick all that much (still would've preferred Elliott) but overall to me that's still a draft class that deserves a pretty high grade--higher than the B- or B that some "experts" have given it.

50 minutes ago, CelticColt said:

This is sort of related to one of the standard post-draft activities that to me gets annoying: so many of the "experts" giving each team's draft class a "grade" that essentially just rehashes their own pre-draft rankings.

It's especially annoying in the case of CB and the Colts because these guys usually don't include Buckner in their grading since Ballard didn't actually draft him. But because CB's 1st pick was used directly to get Buckner, IMO he should be included in any evaluation of the Colts' 2020 draft class, which would then be Buckner, Pittman, Taylor, Blackmon, Eason, Pinter, Windsor, Rodgers, Patmon and Glasgow, in addition to some intriguing UDFA's.

I didn't even like the Blackmon pick all that much (still would've preferred Elliott) but overall to me that's still a draft class that deserves a pretty high grade--higher than the B- or B that some "experts" have given it.

A TON of experts are saying the colts nailed this draft. So I think it’s a matter of who you chose to listen to and believe. 

I think we know very little about Campbell as an NFL receiver.  The number of games he played his rookie season is just not enough to judge the type of route runner and big play guy he will become. This is his rookie season effectively.

6 minutes ago, bleevit said:

I think we know very little about Campbell as an NFL receiver.  The number of games he played his rookie season is just not enough to judge the type of route runner and big play guy he will become. This is his rookie season effectively.

Wouldn't call it rookie.. I'd say he took a redshirt lol... Was in the system for a year, just not on the field. Just hope he doesn't continue to have freak injuries...

2 hours ago, CelticColt said:

I think most of us completely understand what you're saying. I don't think anyone is discounting the Buckner trade at all, but just grading the rookies added through the draft when not including the Buckner trade. That's all.

If it helps, and it should, I've seen multiple people so far rank the Colts as having the best moves of all teams in the league across the entire offseason, including trades, free agency and the draft. And that trumps any grade of any one individual part of it.

I understand he was injured but it’s going to take awhile for me to get my hopes back up on Campbell.  I wasn’t that impressed with what I saw from him last season.  I’m hoping he has a bounce back season and establishes himself as that slot game changer that many envisioned him to be. If he doesn’t then I think Pascal will do well enough as our three.  He is under rated in my opinion. 

The Steelers game gave us a very good glimpse of what we will do with Campbell. Reich figured out by that game to just get the ball in his hands instead of trying to make him a WR right away. We will see a lot of sweeps , him rushing the ball and slot WR. He is so much of s threat just get him the ball in open space. Very similar to what we saw from Deebo Samual last season. Especially in the SB. Hopefully he is staying in condition and keeping himself healthy with no off season programs.

31 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The Steelers game gave us a very good glimpse of what we will do with Campbell. Reich figured out by that game to just get the ball in his hands instead of trying to make him a WR right away. We will see a lot of sweeps , him rushing the ball and slot WR. He is so much of s threat just get him the ball in open space. Very similar to what we saw from Deebo Samual last season. Especially in the SB. Hopefully he is staying in condition and keeping himself healthy with no off season programs.

We did what we did, not because he was struggling as a WR, but because our QB was struggling. The entire playbook was dumbed down passing, and we went run heavy. And Pitt is not a good example because of the QB injury situation that game.

I'm not saying we won't see him on sweeps, etc.. but... I'd bet they prioritize him as a WR this year. They don't want to get him injured again and they likely have him tagged as TY's eventual replacement. I'd also bet they do what Ballard and Reich hinted to last year, which is moving him outside to Z (from slot) more and more as the year goes along. TY's health will likely dictate the speed at which they do that, but unless Fountain steps up (and assuming they use Fountain at Z), Campbell is the likely option there.

Nothing would make me happier if Campbell developed at WR for TY replacement. He has Reggie’s size with Hilton’s speed. My main point is Reich kept saying it might take awhile to develop him as a route runner.  He seemed to forget early on how he could be used until that developed   Injuries then slowed him down more once Reich started using him more. 

I hate not having off season programs. It’s going to slow rookies development and players like Campbell. Hopefully they have some private coaches they are working with.  Hopefully they.m can start some in person work by June. The gov of Indiana today says he wants all sporting events back in stadiums by July 4th. Hopefully some of these govs in other states don’t drag their feet. 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

A TON of experts are saying the colts nailed this draft. So I think it’s a matter of who you chose to listen to and believe. 

I don't believe any of them--I just monitor how the draft picks actually play, as rookies and beyond, and then give each draft class my own "grade"

And when I do that for this draft class in the future, my class will definitely include Buckner.

We really don't have much luck with OSU WR. Remember Tony Gonzalez with Peyton? Now politician. Paris's availability is Key. Being a speed guy the hamstrings are their weak point. The OSU player that really wanted to be a Colt last year was Terry McL. that landed with the Redskins. 

6 hours ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

I’m worried if he can really develop that part of the game. OSU’s receiver coach is former NFL WR Brian Hartline. He’s been commended for how polished OSU receivers have been coming into the league (Thomas, Hill, McLauren). Parris is the only one who can’t run routes, despite having amazing coaching.

18 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I agree. If he can just stay healthy and learn to hold onto the ball, he should have a solid 2nd year!

Campbell did very well at Ohio State

Very reliable, very dynamic, never injured.....

I hope people don’t count him out

10 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Parris is the only one who can’t run routes, despite having amazing coaching.

Are you 100% sure of that?

Needs to work on routes, or needs some improvements in route running... maybe.... but... CANT? 

That seems very definitive......  Did you come to that conclusion by observation? Or by restating others?

Watch some OSU game highlights....... the kid can play football...

10 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’m worried if he can really develop that part of the game. OSU’s receiver coach is former NFL WR Brian Hartline. He’s been commended for how polished OSU receivers have been coming into the league (Thomas, Hill, McLauren). Parris is the only one who can’t run routes, despite having amazing coaching.

Hopefully it was just him getting injured so much why he wasn’t able to show it off. I remember Campbell mentioning he worked a lot on his route running at OSU on his off time in case he was needed in a different role. 

12 hours ago, CelticColt said:

I don't believe any of them--I just monitor how the draft picks actually play, as rookies and beyond, and then give each draft class my own "grade"

And when I do that for this draft class in the future, my class will definitely include Buckner.

Like your take on this. Have to see it to believe it. This team has to stay healthy. We have depth this year. 

12 hours ago, AustexColt said:

We really don't have much luck with OSU WR. Remember Tony Gonzalez with Peyton? Now politician. Paris's availability is Key. Being a speed guy the hamstrings are their weak point. The OSU player that really wanted to be a Colt last year was Terry McL. that landed with the Redskins. 

Lmao Roy Hall has to be added as well

I have high hopes for him. Injuries and a lousy QB caused Year 1 to be a do over. But he’s had top coaching over the past year, participated in a top strength and conditioning program, and been surrounded by pros who have shown him what it takes to succeed both on O and D.  It’s not a rookie year for him in 2020, and this kid has genuine talent. I think he’ll be a pleasant surprise to all the grumpy cynics on this Board 

If he doesn’t fall down in the Steelers game going in for a score, we’re likely talking about what a stud he is.  The entire season turned on that play.  Jacoby hurt on next play, never regains mobility or confidence, and well, we end up with the 13th pick.  PC actually had a great game and was utilized how we envisioned...as a ‘do all’ type of player.  5 catches, 3 runs, and 2 returns, all resulting in chunk yardage and showcasing his speed and elusiveness.  If he stays healthy going forward, I think he’ll be fun to watch.

Historically receivers take a year or two before showing their value.  This last year was either an aberration or a result of the changes in the rules.  

im just saying to temper your expectations and don’t be disappointed if Pittman and/or Campbell don’t light it up this year.   I hope they do though! 

11 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Are you 100% sure of that?

Needs to work on routes, or needs some improvements in route running... maybe.... but... CANT? 

That seems very definitive......  Did you come to that conclusion by observation? Or by restating others?

Watch some OSU game highlights....... the kid can play football...

Being a playmaker/good football player does not mean you can run routes.

I watched him at OSU. He mostly just ran past everyone. Pittman is bigger than him but not as fast, yet is far more polished as a route runner.

Archived