Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Most likely number to be re-issued

CR91

2 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

I don’t think anybody should wear 98, 88 or 87 again. 

4 and 12 can be reused.

AV is a HoF but most of his career was spent with another team.

And Al was a great QB but left the game early and without a title.

Not sure the colts are ready to move on with 12. If they were, they would have let Patmon wear it.

3 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

4 and 12 can be reused.

The observation on Vinatieri is actually incorrect.    His famous years were with the Pats,  but he only had 10 years with New England.   1996-2005.

He has been with Indy for 14 years.  2006-2019.   I know,  surprised me too. 

19 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Not sure the colts are ready to move on with 12. If they were, they would have let Patmon wear it.

They will move on from Luck soon enough.   The moment they use a high pick for a player who wants to use 12, my hunch we will either let him, or we will call Andrew and get his blessing — and he will give it.  

I think the others will remain unused or retired for a long time. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

They will move in from Luck soon enough.   The moment they use a high pick for a player who wants to use 12, my hunch we will either let him, or we will call Andrew and get his blessing — and he will give it.  

I think the others will remain unused or retired for a long time. 

Maybe, but Irsay has a strong relationship with Andrew so there might be a little convincing needed.

26 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

4 and 12 can be reused.

Not a big fan of retiring herseys UNLESS its a once in a lifetine player.

I also enjoy seeing those numbers again.  It brings back memories and gives me flashbacks.

I LOVE MATHIS, reggie, and marvin, but #18 is the only number i would retire.  Similar to how i feel about #19.

no disrespect to 87,88,and 98.

Perhaps wait until we have more success.

#4and#12, i wouldnt retire.

It’s like Y2K, someone should have had the foresight that one day we would run out of numbers...especially with only 2 numbers allowed.  Unless you want to start allowing letters, symbols, hexadecimal, etc...boy, that would be funny calling out @2 for the tackle or 

EE for the sack. 

I will say I like the way Dallas has done # 88. That # means something to the franchise. Drew Pearson, Irvin, Bryant and now Lamb is wearing it. It has a legacy. 

Some high pick rookie wants to wear 87?  Sure - but there is a standard of what it means to wear that number for this franchise. 

Retiring a number, for a lot of franchises, is a symbolic thing. Some numbers are un-retired 40 or 50 years later (when allowed by the player or franchise). That's fine, the player was shown respect in their era and then the team needed the number to be available again in a much different era. 

That said, 18 already is and should be retired.

I'd be pleased if they also retire 87, 88, and 98, but I wouldn't be upset if they show respect by not issuing them to anyone for a decade.  

Perhaps hold off for a 3-4 seasons on issuing 4, but not a biggie, especially if he signs elsewhere for 2020.

I wouldn't hold off on using 12, but perhaps Irsay wants to keep it available to keep his unrealistic dream of a return alive.

Unretire 19,22,24,70,77,82,and 89.   They are all Baltimore Colts jersey numbers, very few fans have connection to them in Indy. The Ravens already put a Johnny Unitas statue outside of their stadium in 2002.

most likely to be retired 4

least likely 12, i think it will be reissued if a good player really wants it

the other three will probably be very hard for a new player to get but not officially retired 

8 hours ago, CR91 said:

Maybe, but Irsay has a strong relationship with Andrew so there might be a little convincing needed.

I think re-issuing 12 for Irsay would be sort of an admission that Luck is gone and he's not coming back.  I'm not sure if he's ready to do that yet.  

4 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I will say I like the way Dallas has done # 88. That # means something to the franchise. Drew Pearson, Irvin, Bryant and now Lamb is wearing it. It has a legacy. 

Some high pick rookie wants to wear 87?  Sure - but there is a standard of what it means to wear that number for this franchise. 

I was going to say the same thing. It's the only cool thing going in Dallas but the 88 legacy has something to it. 

Not every guy can have his number retired, especially as the games history grows. 12 will certainly be in rotation again, just maybe right away.

9 hours ago, TheNextGM said:

4 and 12 can be reused.

Actually AV played here longer than he did in New England......14 years to 10 years.

6 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Nailed it. 

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I think re-issuing 12 for Irsay would be sort of an admission that Luck is gone and he's not coming back.  I'm not sure if he's ready to do that yet.  

It wouldn't surprise me if Irsay feels partly to blame for Andrew retiring. He could see the beatings Andrew was taking.

2 hours ago, gnet550 said:

93 has been worn I believe but Freeney was pretty iconic here

Love the fact you brought that up. 93 shouldn’t be thrown around like it has been. Dwight has done more here than Andrew Luck. Stats, and contributions don’t lie. 

4 hours ago, ar1888 said:

Unretire 19,22,24,70,77,82,and 89.   They are all Baltimore Colts jersey numbers, very few fans have connection to them in Indy. The Ravens already put a Johnny Unitas statue outside of their stadium in 2002.

Absolutely NOT!!!!!!

3 hours ago, a06cc said:

Love the fact you brought that up. 93 shouldn’t be thrown around like it has been. Dwight has done more here than Andrew Luck. Stats, and contributions don’t lie. 

I know Sheard wore it but when I see 93 in Blue all I can think is Freeney

I am not a fan of permanently retiring a #.....however, Hall of famers with long and storied carriers should be honored. I wish we would set a time period for players jersey numbers we hold with high esteem. So for instance a 20 year period for say Manning's #18. That length of time would honor who he was and what he did for the remainder of his generations fandom. 20 years removed new generation and the chance for someone else to build a storied carrier in that #. The practical side to this kind of approach there are only 99 Jersey #'s and team size, will probably only grow if they successfully add more games to the season in the future...pretty soon the math wont work if you keep setting aside #'s for all eternity. 

Soon there will only be the “ugly” numbers.

But seriously, I’d be all for being more strict on retiring numbers. Maybe even un-retire some. Our WR’s only have the options of 10-17, 80-81, 83-86 (if you officially retire Wayne/Harrison’s numbers)

On 5/1/2020 at 2:04 AM, TheNextGM said:

4 and 12 can be reused.

I would agree with this if I had to.  I’m personally not a fan of retiring numbers. I think putting their name and number in the rafters to honor them should be enough. But let the numbers continue to be used. 

Cliff Odom wore 93 from 1984 to 89. Ralph Jarvis in 90, Freddie Joe Nunn from 94-96, Jason Chorak in 98, Lionel Barnes 2000-2001, then 

Dwight Freeney 2002-2012

Then, Erik Walden wore it 13-16, Jabaal Sheard from 17-19, and now it's been assigned to rookie Trevon Coley.

That 93 has been assigned to Coley makes me think the FO has no intention of resigning Sheard.

Of note, Odom, Freeney, Sheard, and Walden all had reasonable or better value for the Colts.

Archived