Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recommended Posts

So I am super pumped for the Eason pick. He seems to have a chip on his shoulder and is ready to learn and work. I think sitting behind Rivers and JB in 2020 and then potentially Rivers in 2021 is perfect for him. His biggest issues were maturity. With Rivers, Brissett, Reich and Siranni working with him, the sky is the limit. 
 

My question is who do you see him being the most like. The best comp I think I heard is a higher ceiling, bigger Jay Cutler. I think that is pretty spot on and I would take it. I’m bias, I must admit I love me some Jay Cutty. 
 

What do y’all think. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, taking away the mental side and just talking physical attributes, he’s a lot like Rivers. The question is does he have the fire and the will that Rivers does. Rivers is the ultimate competitor and also puts in the work needed to get better. Can Eason do the same is the big question mark!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

High - Drew Bledsoe

 

Middle - Joe Flacco

 

Low - Brock Osweiler

I was going to say Joe Flacco as well. I like this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

So I am super pumped for the Eason pick. He seems to have a chip on his shoulder and is ready to learn and work. I think sitting behind Rivers and JB in 2020 and then potentially Rivers in 2021 is perfect for him. His biggest issues were maturity. With Rivers, Brissett, Reich and Siranni working with him, the sky is the limit. 
 

My question is who do you see him being the most like. The best comp I think I heard is a higher ceiling, bigger Jay Cutler. I think that is pretty spot on and I would take it. I’m bias, I must admit I love me some Jay Cutty. 
 

What do y’all think. 

Flacco.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Prolly somewhere in between Peyton Manning and Curtis Painter. 

So, Eason draws comparisons to a QB who can make a roster eh?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Joe Flacco comes to mind which is above average/borderline good for his career. He won a SB and many playoff games. 

I'm hoping for so much more than a Shane Falco comparison but after reading many opinions on this board I guess I would be grateful for any kind of success.  I'm trying to compare a prior qb to the arm that Eason has & coming up blank?  It's not everyday 6'6", 231 with a 62mph fastball is available but when it does, make sure you jump on it!  Did you see the spin on that dart?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are some.

 

Height wise: 6’ 5” and taller 

 

Carson Wentz

Philip Rivers

Big Ben

Blake Bortles

Cam Newton

Carson Palmer

Drew Bledsoe

Vinnie Testaverde  

Derek Anderson

Matt Schaub

Nick Foles

Scott Mitchell

Joe Flacco

Ryan Mallet

Jamarcus Russell

Josh Freeman

Marc Wilson 

Brock Osweiller

 

My first instinct was Ryan Mallet but I hope he’s a better version.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

So I am super pumped for the Eason pick. He seems to have a chip on his shoulder and is ready to learn and work. I think sitting behind Rivers and JB in 2020 and then potentially Rivers in 2021 is perfect for him. His biggest issues were maturity. With Rivers, Brissett, Reich and Siranni working with him, the sky is the limit. 
 

My question is who do you see him being the most like. The best comp I think I heard is a higher ceiling, bigger Jay Cutler. I think that is pretty spot on and I would take it. I’m bias, I must admit I love me some Jay Cutty. 
 

What do y’all think. 

Johnny Unitus

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fran Tarkenton 6'

Sonny Jurgenson 5'11"

Drew Brees 6'

Russell Wilson 5'11"

Len Dawson 6'

Joe Theismann 6'

Michael Vick 6'

Billy Kilmer 6'

Doug Flutie 5'10" 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I will probably get blasted for this, especially on this forum...but the QB he reminds me most of is Jacob Eason.

 

Ceiling - Jacob Eason

Floor - Jacob Eason

 

But I think when it's all said and done, he will have a career like Jacob Eason.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

So I am super pumped for the Eason pick. He seems to have a chip on his shoulder and is ready to learn and work. I think sitting behind Rivers and JB in 2020 and then potentially Rivers in 2021 is perfect for him. His biggest issues were maturity. With Rivers, Brissett, Reich and Siranni working with him, the sky is the limit. 
 

My question is who do you see him being the most like. The best comp I think I heard is a higher ceiling, bigger Jay Cutler. I think that is pretty spot on and I would take it. I’m bias, I must admit I love me some Jay Cutty. 
 

What do y’all think. 

Oh I hope not.   I've never liked Cutler on the field.   Made a career off of potential.   Would show flashes but then go back to being an INT machine.  Losing record for his career.  Career passer rating of 85.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

So I am super pumped for the Eason pick. He seems to have a chip on his shoulder and is ready to learn and work. I think sitting behind Rivers and JB in 2020 and then potentially Rivers in 2021 is perfect for him. His biggest issues were maturity. With Rivers, Brissett, Reich and Siranni working with him, the sky is the limit. 
 

My question is who do you see him being the most like. The best comp I think I heard is a higher ceiling, bigger Jay Cutler. I think that is pretty spot on and I would take it. I’m bias, I must admit I love me some Jay Cutty. 
 

What do y’all think. 


Why do you think this?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BProland85 said:

High comps for him in my opinion are Carson Palmer and Matthew Stafford. 

Stafford for sure. Didn’t watch enough of Palmer to know much about his game.

Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I have noticed about Eason is how skinny he is. He needs to get in the weight room and put on about ten pounds. I am so excited to see him in a preseason game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Prolly somewhere in between Peyton Manning and Curtis Painter. 

Nah between peyton and scott tolzien

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Stafford for sure. Didn’t watch enough of Palmer to know much about his game.

A stafford flacco cross

Link to post
Share on other sites

Brock Osweiler <= Eason < Jeff George

 

Closest to Osweiler, not as good as Jeff George.  Hard to say at this point, but honestly, I don't see Eason beating out Chad Kelly (if Kelly is given a chance with the Colts in 2020).

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we comparing potential? Or his play style on the field. I don’t see the Drew Bledsoe comp, he threw more from the side like Stafford and Rivers. 
 

Throwing motion is similar to Cutler in a way, but Jays non throwing arm was always much lower to his waist. 
 

As others have stated, his happy feet footwork seems similar to Manning’s. Which isn’t always a bad thing as it allows you to always be ready to set your feet and throw. I’ve also seen some footage where Eason barely moves his feet at all ala Brady. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I want Eason to reach his potential as much as anyone but I think many have unrealistic expectations for him. If Eason turns out as good as guys like Flacco and Cutler he will have outplayed his draft position at a historic level.

 

QBs are rarely underdrafted. From a historical perspective QBs not picked in the first round who are successful starters have a reason for being overlooked. For example:

 

- Tom Brady (Michigan had a strange QB situation IIRC)

- Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, Jimmy G (overlooked played at smaller schools)

- Drew Brees and Russel Wilson (undersized)

 

Jacob is known to have the physical tools, nice arm talent, but is said to have a poor work ethic. Not the type of QB prospect that has historically outplayed where they are drafted. 

 

Super Bowl quarterbacks since 2000 and where they were drafted are below. Yes, exception in there as far as non round 1 QBs go but for the most part reasons why they got overlooked.

 

Aaron Rodgers (Round 1 Pick 24)

Ben Roethlisberger (Round 1 Pick 11

Brad Johnson (Round 9 Pick 227)

Cam Newton (Round 1 Pick 1)

Colin Kaepernick (Round 2 Pick 36)

Donovan McNabb (Round 1 Pick 2)

Drew Brees (Round.2 Pick 32)

Eli Manning (Round 1 Pick 1)

Jake Delhomme (Undrafted)

Jared Goff (Round 1 Pick 1)

Jimmy Garoppolo (Round 2 Pick 62)

Joe Flacco (Round 1 Pick 18)

Kerry Collins (Round 1, Pick 5)

Kurt Warner (Undrafted)

Matt Hasselbeck (Round 6 Pick 187)

Matt Ryan (Round 1 Pick 3)

Nick Foles (Round 3 Pick 88)

Patrick Mahomes (Round 1 Pick 10)

Peyton Manning (Round 1 Pick 1)

Rex Grossman (Round 1, Pick 22)

Rich Gannon (Round 4, Pick 98)

Russell Wilson (Round 3, Pick 75)

Tom Brady (Round 6, Pick 199)

Trent Dilfer (Round 1, Pick 6)

 

When Ballard said that he has to beat out Chad Kelly for the 3rd QB spot I don't think it was just about trying to motivate Eason. I think the Colts, despite drafting him, have serious doubts about him and he very well might not make the team. They are rolling the dice and seeing what happens but Eason has a ton to prove. 

 

I just think we should pump the brakes and have more realistic expectations about Eason.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe he is a good comparison to myself except you Know tall, young, athletic, good at football, and in shape... but besides those few differences pretty close!Bill Murray GIF by Groundhog Day

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

I believe he is a good comparison to myself except you Know tall, young, athletic, good at football, and in shape... but besides those few differences pretty close!Bill Murray GIF by Groundhog Day

I used to be just like Eason until the ....accident.O.o 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ar7 said:

 

When Ballard said that he has to beat out Chad Kelly for the 3rd QB spot I don't think it was just about trying to motivate Eason. I think the Colts, despite drafting him, have serious doubts about him and he very well might not make the team. They are rolling the dice and seeing what happens but Eason has a ton to prove. 

 

So you think Ballard drafted Eason (or any player for that matter) and has serious doubts about him making the roster? 

I don't buy that for one second.

What Ballard said about Eason is standard GM/coach speak. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ar7 said:

I want Eason to reach his potential as much as anyone but I think many have unrealistic expectations for him. If Eason turns out as good as guys like Flacco and Cutler he will have outplayed his draft position at a historic level.

 

QBs are rarely underdrafted. From a historical perspective QBs not picked in the first round who are successful starters have a reason for being overlooked. For example:

 

- Tom Brady (Michigan had a strange QB situation IIRC)

- Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, Jimmy G (overlooked played at smaller schools)

- Drew Brees and Russel Wilson (undersized)

 

Jacob is known to have the physical tools, nice arm talent, but is said to have a poor work ethic. Not the type of QB prospect that has historically outplayed where they are drafted. 

 

Super Bowl quarterbacks since 2000 and where they were drafted are below. Yes, exception in there as far as non round 1 QBs go but for the most part reasons why they got overlooked.

 

Aaron Rodgers (Round 1 Pick 24)

Ben Roethlisberger (Round 1 Pick 11

Brad Johnson (Round 9 Pick 227)

Cam Newton (Round 1 Pick 1)

Colin Kaepernick (Round 2 Pick 36)

Donovan McNabb (Round 1 Pick 2)

Drew Brees (Round.2 Pick 32)

Eli Manning (Round 1 Pick 1)

Jake Delhomme (Undrafted)

Jared Goff (Round 1 Pick 1)

Jimmy Garoppolo (Round 2 Pick 62)

Joe Flacco (Round 1 Pick 18)

Kerry Collins (Round 1, Pick 5)

Kurt Warner (Undrafted)

Matt Hasselbeck (Round 6 Pick 187)

Matt Ryan (Round 1 Pick 3)

Nick Foles (Round 3 Pick 88)

Patrick Mahomes (Round 1 Pick 10)

Peyton Manning (Round 1 Pick 1)

Rex Grossman (Round 1, Pick 22)

Rich Gannon (Round 4, Pick 98)

Russell Wilson (Round 3, Pick 75)

Tom Brady (Round 6, Pick 199)

Trent Dilfer (Round 1, Pick 6)

 

When Ballard said that he has to beat out Chad Kelly for the 3rd QB spot I don't think it was just about trying to motivate Eason. I think the Colts, despite drafting him, have serious doubts about him and he very well might not make the team. They are rolling the dice and seeing what happens but Eason has a ton to prove. 

 

I just think we should pump the brakes and have more realistic expectations about Eason.

Well if that follows him to the pro's Ballard wont put up with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Popular Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I tell you one thing.  I am much more confident in a victory than I was the first time around
    • That is a moving target.  We have no idea today which College QBs will even be in the draft.  We also don't know which ones might rise up from unexpected places.  The favorite for the Heisman wasn't on many people's radar just a couple months ago.     We also have no idea how our 4th round pick is performing.  We don't have a single hint even.  He could look like a washout or he could look like Mahommes Pt, 2.   Additionally, we have no idea what other QBs will be on the market for trade.  Would Matt Ryan be an option? Sam Darnold? etc. etc.  Those are just names we have no idea who will actually be available.  We also do not know for sure that Rivers will want to keep playing.  There's still at least 6 weeks to go.  Anything could happen.  Injury could quickly make him decide to move on.  He's never been hurt enough to miss a game.  A significant injury could make him pack it up.  We also don't know if he will hold up in general.  What if his arm fades significantly? It happens to the best.  Brady looked awful.  Manning got benched and barely made it through the playoffs his last year.  He was awful in the Super Bowl even though his defense won the game.     We just don't know what options we'll have or what the circumstances will be.  We may see a massive salary cap reduction and they may go with a cheaper option out of necessity.  We have a lot of young players that need to be resigned.  One year QB versus 8+ more years with a key young player can change things.     I am not anti Rivers, just the opposite.  I have said all year that when the oline was struggling early, his quick release made all the difference.  When people were calling for Jacoby, I said his slow release will no longer fly.   But I am also a realist.  We need a long term answer at QB.  Year to year is bad for everyone.  Each QB has pros and cons and we need to build a team that works with our QB's strengths.  I hope that Eason is thriving.   Otherwise, I hope we draft a young guy who is ready to go.  I am not a Darnold fan, but Ballard has a good track record at most positions.  Let's hope when he picks someone, whether it is Rivers or an unknown, they can keep this train rolling.  All that said, it is WAY too early to hitch the wagon for one last year with an immobile elderly RB.      
    • Sorry but that was funny. Lighten up Francis 
    • There are so many variables in football, that you have to pretty much go with points allowed and ypg, but even then things get convoluted.   High scoring teams tend to give up garbage points and yards.  Some defenses willingly allow yds between the 20s knowing their shells will minimize the possiblities of touchdowns.  Some offenses are really good at moving the ball between the 20s, but lack a playmaking touchdown producer.  I think the Colts suffer from this offensively.   I think it's hard to argue definitively.   What I see is an offense that has bascially had one poor game scoring wise v. Balt, and a couple of other weaker days v. Jax and maybe Cle, but I think it is better than significantly more than half the teams, and under the circumstances personnel wise I find it hard to validate the argument that the offense is not a good one overall.  
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...