Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Second Round 34Th Pick...

Indeee

I think Minnifield is a 3rd rounder now. I easily see him making it to the 65th pick. Seems like his stock just hasn't gone up since the combine or his pro day.

I don't think he goes to the 3rd round. A lot of teams have CB as one of their needs so expect the 1st and 2nd round to be CB heavy. I think he goes in the mid 2nd round if he does not get drafted by us. I think he's more proven than risers like Robinson or Hosley. He's a good consistent player.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wasn't referring to minnifield. he said the colts should take the best cb left...which would be a horrible idea.

Depending on the talent available. In my opinion, talent trumps need when it comes to drafting. It's great when the two come together (like last year with Castonzo), but you can't always expect that to happen

One thing I know for sure, at least a few players that we all think will be 1st round picks will fall to the second round. Barron the SS from Alabama might fall, he's worth looking into. I read that Floyd will go any where from the top 15 to the second round. Of course we could trade down and pick up a lower second rounder and a 3ed, we need bodies, lots of them.

Couple things I would like to see:

1st: trade down the 34th pick in hopes to gain an extra pick unless someone slips to 34 that has great value. I would like to see Stephen Gilmore first then best available CB or Kevin Zetler

2nd: not draft our #1 WR this year but draft a WR later in either 3rd or 4th round. Jenkins or Broyles. Then next year with our top pick take a true #1 WR. We still have Reggie for 3 years.

3rd: Not draft Alameda Ta'amu. It would be to much of a reach for a player with mixed reviews. Instead wait a another week or 2 to sign a vet NT on a 2 year term. By waiting we will get a better deal and a lot of players have been doing 2 year terms because of the projected cap increase for them. Draft our future NT either next year or the year after.

2nd round should be a cb either or better hopefully derek wolfe in 3rd round either nt nick baptiste or fangano in 4th wr t.j. graham in 5th rb robert turbin, te james hannah, and cb trevin wade in 6th round......does anyone see something they could better plz post

If you read my thread in the NFL Draft Section, I've stated that Minnifield could be drafted in the 3rd round by the Colts, conversely of what I said a little earlier today. I say the Colts should target a guy like Jayron Hosley.

One thing I know for sure, at least a few players that we all think will be 1st round picks will fall to the second round. Barron the SS from Alabama might fall, he's worth looking into. I read that Floyd will go any where from the top 15 to the second round. Of course we could trade down and pick up a lower second rounder and a 3ed, we need bodies, lots of them.

No Barron please. We signed Zbikowski and I would like us to see what he can do. Guy has lots of heart and a great motor.

I think the one certain thing in the NFL is that you choose the best player overall with whatever pick you have unless you feel you can move back and still get that need/player. Drafting needs almost always means reaching for a player. Usually it means passing up on players with higher upside and taking a player that fits a need rather than taking him where his talent dictates he should go. If your talking a few picks thats fine but if you start reaching on a player is it really worth it to take a 3rd round TE at the start of the 2nd round just because you need one? The one thing that we definately know is that we have TONS of needs on this team. In fact outside the first pick in the draft at qb we have needs at EVERY SINGLE POSITION. We don't have one single every down position that we don't have needs at or could upgrade. If we were one or two players away like say New England or Green Bay than you can target a position but when you have multiple needs you take the best player available and if you have multiple guys graded the same than you take the bigger perceived need. CB, DT, LB, SS, TE, WR all are huge needs for us and whoever is ranked highest on the board at ANY of those positions should be the one we take. That pick should land us a quality player that has the skills/ability to be a pro bowler some day and a starter right away and if we take a lesser quality player just to fill a need that doesn't become a pro bowler/starting quality player in the league in a couple years than the pick is a bust.

Does anybody think we could trade our 2nd and 3rd rounders for the two 2nd rounders Philly has (46th and 51st). The picks we would get from Philly would most likely be starters from day one.

I'm not sure but we could definately trade our 2nd rounder to say a team like the Saints who will not have a 1st or 2nd rounder this year and no 2nd rounder next year....say for like a 3rd rounder this year and 1st rounder next year...or say a 1st rounder of the raiders next year and a 3rd rounder this year. We have a lot of options and stock piling draft picks should be a definate option for this team. We have SO MANY needs one player will not answer those and getting more picks to address more issues should be an option. If we trade up or start reaching for players than I will be sorely disappointed. We cleaned house. The team has low expectations set for it (owner said this is going to take a few years to get back) so stock piling picks for the next few years and trading back would definately be an option I would look at. We are not a few players away from anything....not even midiocraty so since we decided to rebuild we need to load up on picks.

CB and WR are both needs. However the WR class is way deeper with talent than CB's this year. On the one hand I don't want the secondary to suck. On the other, you have to provide Luck with some weapons, and more importantly, one that can take over for Reggie in a few years.

Depending on the talent available. In my opinion, talent trumps need when it comes to drafting. It's great when the two come together (like last year with Castonzo), but you can't always expect that to happen

I actually disagree, to a certain extent, with the notion that you go for talent over need.

I will qualify that by saying that if there is a player available at a particular spot that just screams out as being clearly the best player available, then yes, I may generally agree that is who you should draft (or trade back depending upon need).

However, usually there is NO clear cut choice. More likely, there is a grouping of similarly talented players with similar upside potentials. In this instance, which is the norm, best player must be weighed with pronounced team need. If in such a grouping of players is a player at a position of extreme need, then clearly that is the player that should be chosen. However, if there is no player at the position of first need, then one must consult a check down list of need to see if the available comparable talent intersects with the team's other most paramount needs. If so, then that's who you go for. If not, then you go for the best player available or you work out trade back.

A direct excerpt from the chapter "championship drafting strategies" in the book of championship franchise building.

:)

I actually disagree, to a certain extent, with the notion that you go for talent over need.

I will qualify that by saying that if there is a player available at a particular spot that just screams out as being clearly the best player available, then yes, I may generally agree that is who you should draft (or trade back depending upon need).

However, usually there is NO clear cut choice. More likely, there is a grouping of similarly talented players with similar upside potentials. In this instance, which is the norm, best player must be weighed with pronounced team need. If in such a grouping of players is a player at a position of extreme need, then clearly that is the player that should be chosen. However, if there is no player at the position of first need, then one must consult a check down list of need to see if the available comparable talent intersects with the team's other most paramount needs. If so, then that's who you go for. If not, then you go for the best player available or you work out trade back.

A direct excerpt from the chapter "championship drafting strategies" in the book of championship franchise building.

Every team when getting ready for the draft grade every player possible. They rank them like a mock draft basically and give them a draft grade/position. For a team that has needs in EVERY position as we do you will simply take the best player available that fit our schemes (we aren't going to target DE or a qb obviously). We have ONE pro bowler on the team and he doesn't even have a POSITION on our team and may not be on our team by then and definately won't be on our team next year lol. Obviously you draft needs...your not going to draft 7 DTs just because they are all the highest rated players left when we choose but as far as needs go we don't have one position ranked higher than another. Again if we were a few players away we would do this but this early in building a franchise you get the most talent you can at as many positions as you can. Just because we need a TE doesn't mean we take the best one available if we think he will just be an avg player....and pass on someone we see as a long time starter/pro bowl ability CB just because we think TE is a bigger need. You take the CB and you address the TE position later. If you focus on simply just position you end up with a team full of avg talent and no stars. We have to take the players we think will have the most upside this year. We need CB, LB, DT, NT, G, just as much as TE or WR. As long as we get a difference maker at whatever position we choose than I am happy...no matter what position he plays.

Couple things I would like to see:

1st: trade down the 34th pick in hopes to gain an extra pick unless someone slips to 34 that has great value. I would like to see Stephen Gilmore first then best available CB or Kevin Zetler

2nd: not draft our #1 WR this year but draft a WR later in either 3rd or 4th round. Jenkins or Broyles. Then next year with our top pick take a true #1 WR. We still have Reggie for 3 years.

3rd: Not draft Alameda Ta'amu. It would be to much of a reach for a player with mixed reviews. Instead wait a another week or 2 to sign a vet NT on a 2 year term. By waiting we will get a better deal and a lot of players have been doing 2 year terms because of the projected cap increase for them. Draft our future NT either next year or the year after.

I don't know anything, but I like the 3rd and 4th round value in this draft more than the 2nd round value. So if there was a way to add an extra pick by trading out of #34, provided we're not in love with a player that is available at that spot, then I think it would be advisable to do so. JMO. I'd definitely rather trade down than up, that's for sure.

I don't know anything, but I like the 3rd and 4th round value in this draft more than the 2nd round value. So if there was a way to add an extra pick by trading out of #34, provided we're not in love with a player that is available at that spot, then I think it would be advisable to do so. JMO. I'd definitely rather trade down than up, that's for sure.

I agree. This is a deep draft at positions we have needs at. Specifically, DB, DT, and WR. I would actually prefer we trade back to get more depth those 3 positions specifically.

It would of been nice if we didn't beat Houston in week 16. We could of got that 33rd pick and started to auction if off at the end of day 1 of the draft. I can see the rams getting some more good picks from their 2nd rounder.

Just imagine if we would have won week 17....lol. We would have had the 2nd pick in the draft and could have traded down with Washington and got all of those picks plus kept Peyton.....oh wait we could still have done that with the first pick. Guess I just would have done things differently.

I like the trade down idea too. For CB I think the good value is towards the end of round 2; Dennard, Minnifield, Gilmore. At DT and WR I see some good value in rounds 3/4. Of course, I'm not GM with a fancy board, I can only use the internet and other peoples' boards to get an idea of where people are projected to go. I'm sure Grigson's board looks a little different to Mel Kiper's.

I agree with you. It's very rare that you will get someone who is way more talented than anyone else available at that point. Like you said, most of the time, it is players with similar talent levels. At that point, other factors come into consideration, like their attitude/work ethic, how well they fit into what system you want to run, etc.

Medicore? You clearly have no idea who this guy is. Watch some highlights, read some articles and read some quotes from his coaches, and come back to me.

i wasn't talking about minnifield... you said you just wanted the colts to take a cb at 34...that part is the horrible idea.

I'm new on the board so i can't start a topic yet, but would like to see the Colts take Dale Moss for South Dakota State in the later rounds. He is a tall & very athletic receiver with great hands!! Here are some of his stats from his pro day.

Scott Smith @XAMSports SDSU WR Dale Moss Pro Day, 6'03 1/4", 213 lbs, 4.45 40-yd, 41.5" vert, 10'10" broad, 6.32 3-cone, 4.08 20 sh, 10.82 60 sh, 11 repsro day today.

you have to go bpa at 34 we have soo many holes.

I'm afraid taking the bpa is exactly what won't happen. Holes mean needs, and needs means the potential to over-value players who fit the holes. The Colts had the luxury of taking the bpa for years at the back end of drafts. They didn't need Brown or Hughes, as examples, yet took them because of where Polian had them valued, and as eventual replacements - depth perhaps. The Colts almost have to draft QB, TE, CB, DT, and WR in my opinion. And maybe more than one of some of those posiitons. If there is a serious run on TEs, for example, I am worried the Colts will pull the trigger early on one. And the TE depth in this draft is dreadful in my estimaiton. Of all drafts in the last 15 years, this is the one I fear won't at all be about the best player available, but filling roster spots/positions which are wide open right now.

These are the guys that I think might fall to us in round 2. EVERY year there's a guy or 2 that is projected to go in the 1st round that falls and falls and falls. I like the idea of trading Freeney for a swap of picks. We send our 4th for a teams 2ed.

Andrea Branch, DE Clemson

Kendall Wright, WR Baylor

Mark Barron, SS Alabama

Janoris Jenkins, CB North Alabama

Brandon Thompson, DT Clemson

Alshon jeffery, WR South Carolina

I think the one certain thing in the NFL is that you choose the best player overall with whatever pick you have unless you feel you can move back and still get that need/player. Drafting needs almost always means reaching for a player. Usually it means passing up on players with higher upside and taking a player that fits a need rather than taking him where his talent dictates he should go. If your talking a few picks thats fine but if you start reaching on a player is it really worth it to take a 3rd round TE at the start of the 2nd round just because you need one? The one thing that we definately know is that we have TONS of needs on this team. In fact outside the first pick in the draft at qb we have needs at EVERY SINGLE POSITION. We don't have one single every down position that we don't have needs at or could upgrade. If we were one or two players away like say New England or Green Bay than you can target a position but when you have multiple needs you take the best player available and if you have multiple guys graded the same than you take the bigger perceived need. CB, DT, LB, SS, TE, WR all are huge needs for us and whoever is ranked highest on the board at ANY of those positions should be the one we take. That pick should land us a quality player that has the skills/ability to be a pro bowler some day and a starter right away and if we take a lesser quality player just to fill a need that doesn't become a pro bowler/starting quality player in the league in a couple years than the pick is a bust.

you could repeat this a million times but some people just won't get it....

i wasn't talking about minnifield... you said you just wanted the colts to take a cb at 34...that part is the horrible idea.

Well, let me just say this now. Yesterday, the Colts should have taken a CB at 34 b/c they need one badly. They have no CBs except Powers.

Today, now that Tamme is gone, it must be spent on a TE like Fleener or Allen (if he has a good pro day). If Fleener isn't there and Allen doesn't have a good pro day, then take Hosley. They NEED A CORNERBACK!

Well, let me just say this now. Yesterday, the Colts should have taken a CB at 34 b/c they need one badly. They have no CBs except Powers.

Today, now that Tamme is gone, it must be spent on a TE like Fleener or Allen (if he has a good pro day). If Fleener isn't there and Allen doesn't have a good pro day, then take Hosley. They NEED A CORNERBACK!

like i said in the post above.....

like i said in the post above.....

Even if they take Minnifield in the 3rd round, with the release of Lacey, they're still thin at CB. The Colts must spend two picks on CBs this year and I think they should go in Rounds 2 & 3 so it eliminates CBs from a list of needs. We could find a TE in the mid rounds if Fleener isn't there in round 2.

Even if they take Minnifield in the 3rd round, with the release of Lacey, they're still thin at CB. The Colts must spend two picks on CBs this year and I think they should go in Rounds 2 & 3 so it eliminates CBs from a list of needs. We could find a TE in the mid rounds if Fleener isn't there in round 2.

i give up

i give up

That's alright, but let's look at last year's draft. OT was arguably the Colts' biggest need with Johnson playing badly and on the way out and Diemo not doing well. They needed to address that position and what they did do, they drafted two tackles in the first 2 rounds. You know what that did, it eliminated OT from a list of needs. Now Ijalana and Castonzo are developing nicely and are probably going to be good tackles for a long time. If we want to eliminate it as a need, you must address and be willing to spend a lot on it. They did last year and it looks like it may pay off, but we'll have to see this year.