Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hated playing against him just because we always had trouble with the Chargers. But off the field I’ve secretly liked him a lot. The family man. 

• Like 2

You guys know I'm here now because Philip's here. And that's the thing about him. I'm a lifelong Buckeyes and Steelers fan. Grew up in Ohio from the mid 60s through the mid 80s, and grew up with the Scarlet and Gray and the Black and Gold. I then moved to Alabama for my first job out of college, and eventually found our family living in Athens, Alabama when this lanky #17 played quarterback for the hometown team. And though I've never met him, because of the kind of person he was and still is, I followed him from there to NC State to all the way out in San Diego.

For the ONLY time in my life, I was torn as to the outcome I wanted to see in September of 2003 when his Wolfpack visited the 'Shoe, and almost singlehandedly took my Buckeyes down in triple overtime (I found out years later that he played that and his other early season games so brilliantly just a short time after he and his wife Tiffany had lost the baby she had been carrying, which would have been their 2nd child).

When he first played my Steelers on a Monday night game early in the 2006 season, his first as the starter, I wasn't torn any more. I was pulling for the Chargers. I couldn't help it.

You see, that's just the way it is with this guy. Once most get to know even a little bit about who he really is, we're hooked. I don't know how long he'll be in Indy, but I have no doubt about one thing. The people there who do get to know anything about him during that time are going to understand what I'm typing here.

You really just can't help it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
35 minutes ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

You guys know I'm here now because Philip's here. And that's the thing about him. I'm a lifelong Buckeyes and Steelers fan. Grew up in Ohio from the mid 60s through the mid 80s, and grew up with the Scarlet and Gray and the Black and Gold. I then moved to Alabama for my first job out of college, and eventually found our family living in Athens, Alabama when this lanky #17 played quarterback for the hometown team. And though I've never met him, because of the kind of person he was and still is, I followed him from there to NC State to all the way out in San Diego.

For the ONLY time in my life, I was torn as to the outcome I wanted to see in September of 2003 when his Wolfpack visited the 'Shoe, and almost singlehandedly took my Buckeyes down in triple overtime (I found out years later that he played that and his other early season games so brilliantly just a short time after he and his wife Tiffany had lost the baby she had been carrying, which would have been their 2nd child).

When he first played my Steelers on a Monday night game early in the 2006 season, his first as the starter, I wasn't torn any more. I was pulling for the Chargers. I couldn't help it.

You see, that's just the way it is with this guy. Once most get to know even a little bit about who he really is, we're hooked. I don't know how long he'll be in Indy, but I have no doubt about one thing. The people there who do get to know anything about him during that time are going to understand what I'm typing here.

You really just can't help it.

I remember watching NC State way back when and came away impressed at this no name qb that gave it his all and willed his team to victory gainst the odds!!!  I hated him as a Charger, mainly because Peyton couldn't beat him but always had great respect for his Alpha male type mentality.  This guy gives it his ALL and will let you know when he beats you.  You HATE him when he is against you but LOVE him when he is on your side!!!  Dont worry Athens, this Colt Nation will get behind Rivers Nation before too long as were all very pro for who puts on our uniform!!!  

• Like 1
14 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Yea, i used to hate the guy (football-wise).

i have a strong feeling that will change.

we need this in the locker room.

I hated him too, I hated every time we faced him

2 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Dadgumit! I can't help but like this guy! I'm really looking forward to seeing him put on the Horsehoe. Go Rivers! Go Colts!

He had me at dadgumit! Lol. Always loved his fire. Never liked playing against him. 

I have to say, I'll always love the many friends I made over the years on multiple Chargers boards, as they are first class all the way (plus, there are more of them with more knowledge about this game than the entire collection of decision makers their team has had during my time following them, too). And with their mostly miserable history, I sure hope they one day can all enjoy a Chargers title.

But in my short time here, I am thoroughly enjoying all the comments about this team and the game in general, and while I have become very disillusioned with the NFL in recent years (compounded by having to follow the worst mess in it that is that Chargers organization), all of you have my spirits trending back up again. I thank you all for that. I have even SERIOUSLY considered dropping my interest in the league once Philip retires, but who knows? Maybe this "second chapter" of his (and mine by extension) with Indy will put an end to those thoughts.

We shall see...

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

I have to say, I'll always love the many friends I made over the years on multiple Chargers boards, as they are first class all the way (plus, there are more of them with more knowledge about this game than the entire collection of decision makers their team has had during my time following them, too). And with their mostly miserable history, I sure hope they one day can all enjoy a Chargers title.

But in my short time here, I am thoroughly enjoying all the comments about this team and the game in general, and while I have become very disillusioned with the NFL in recent years (compounded by having to follow the worst mess in it that is that Chargers organization), all of you have my spirits trending back up again. I thank you all for that. I have even SERIOUSLY considered dropping my interest in the league once Philip retires, but who knows? Maybe this "second chapter" of his (and mine by extension) with Indy will put an end to those thoughts.

We shall see...

Glad to have you on board, seriously. You bring a different viewpoint which is always welcome. I’ve been on and off this forum for years. Started way back in ‘08 before the new version of the forum. Don’t even remember my username at this point, but what I’ll tell ya is that the people on this board can be some of the most informed and knowledgeable out there. We have our ups and downs, but we’ve got good people here. I learn something new every single time I log in. You might find yourself on here for years in a blink of an eye!

On 4/30/2020 at 5:42 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Eason is going to learn so much from him. I think our team needed this.

Honestly  as much as a pain as he's been in the  colts side he has the brady and big ben arch nemesis 

As much as we miss and loved Luck he didn’t even provide that kind of leadership to this team. Rivers wants to be a coach after he quits playing so hopefully he works with Eason well. If Eason doesn’t learn about leadership watching Rivers he won’t ever be a successful QB. He has all the right mentors. This team needs this really bad. Even him and Jacoby will have a lot to talk about since they went to the same college. Hopefully that helps with any tension there is. 

31 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

As much as we miss and loved Luck he didn’t even provide that kind of leadership to this team. Rivers wants to be a coach after he quits playing so hopefully he works with Eason well. If Eason doesn’t learn about leadership watching Rivers he won’t ever be a successful QB. He has all the right mentors. This team needs this really bad. Even him and Jacoby will have a lot to talk about since they went to the same college. Hopefully that helps with any tension there is. 

Whoa Nelly. Andrew Luck was a leader of men in his own way... 

Now. Philip Rivers brings FIRE that this team has lacked. I think Justin Houston brought fire last season. You could see it on the field. You could hear it in the pregame. That’s infectious. 

I am new to this site for one reason and one reason only.  Philip Rivers.  I have been a lifelong season ticket Charger fan.  I was in Balboa Stadium when John Hadl and Lance Alworth took on Joe Namath.  (yeah I'm old)  The Chargers are dead to me since they left San Diego.  I think Colt fans (I am now one) will find out there is no one else quite like Philip Rivers.  If you Colt fans have the passion I think you have you are going to love this guy!

• Like 2
10 hours ago, ColtUp said:

The Chargers had a hilarious tweet and at the end it said Philip Rivers: "Fiddlesticks" and I couldn't stop laughing because I could see him saying FIDDLESTICKS lol.

Hahahaha, you pie licker! Would be hilarious listening to him talk