Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Closer Look: Danny Pinter OL (R5•P3)

EastStreet

A Closer Look: Danny Pinter OL (R5•P3)  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What's your 2020 Projection for Danny Pinter?

• Cut
    • Practice Squad
    • Roster - Depth C/G
    • Roster - Depth OT
    • Roster - Starting C/G

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/01/2020 at 02:21 PM

Name: Danny Pinter
Twitter: @dannypinter75
Hometown: South Bend, Indiana
Height: 6' 4"
Weight: 306 lbs
School: Ball State
School2: NA

College Position (latest): RT
College Position2: TE
Likely NFL Position: G/C

Pick: Round 5 • Pick 3 (149)
40 Time: 4.91
Vert: 29.5
Draft Grade: 5.82
Draft Projection: 175 / 5-6 Round
Taken Higher Than Projected: No
HS 247 Grade: TE 0.7481 (2 Star)

Captain: No
Injury Flags: 2017 left foot ligament (season ending)
Attititude or Behavior Flags: NA

School Awards:
2019 Ball State John Magnabosco Award (most outstanding player)
2019 Paul Schudel Strength & Conditioning Award
2018, 2019  Dave McLain Leadership Award
2017 Ray Louthen Award (most improved player)
Conference Awards:
2019 All-Mid-American Conference First Team
National Awards: NA

Family History: NA

Academic:
Business Administration 2018 (3.718 GPA)
2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 Academic All-Mid-American Conference

Stats
Year1: RS
Year2: TE
Year3: TE
Year4: RT
Year5: RT

School Bio:
https://ballstatesports.com/sports/football/roster/danny-pinter/8324

NFL.com Bio:
Pinter was a two-time All-State selection as a tight end/defender at South Bend's John Adams High School, but Notre Dame did not come calling for his services. He redshirted for Ball State in 2015 before starting five of 12 games played the following year at tight end (three receptions, 10 yards). Pinter started six of seven games played at tight end as a junior (six receptions, 46 yards, 7.7 average, one touchdown) but was injured on the first play of the game against Central Michigan and missed the rest of the year. Coaches moved Pinter to right tackle for 2018 and he played well enough to earn the team's Dave McClain Leadership Award, named after the former head coach at Ball State and Wisconsin who passed away from heart failure. He completed his career as a first-team All-MAC pick, team Most Outstanding Player, and 12-game starter on the right side.

NFL.com Overview:
Converted from tight end to tackle two years ago and will need to keep sliding inside as a zone-scheme blocker. His understanding of angles improved rapidly in-season, allowing his athleticism and agility to do their things as a move blocker. He sustains with grip strength and balance, but needs to be on the move and working away from stack-and-shed defenders. His short arms and substandard core strength got him bullied into the pocket by average MAC rushers and there is no guarantee that additional strength and technique work will fix it against pro rushers. He faces an uphill battle, but has developmental potential that could interest zone-scheme teams at either guard or center.

NFL.com Strengths:
Added almost 50 pounds since 2017 but wears it well
Good improvement as run blocker as season progressed
Athleticism stands out once he's beyond line of scrimmage
Nimble feet and fluidity to adjust his path in space
Able to slide into cut-off position or transition into wash-down blocks when needed
Shows grip strength and sustain grit needed to play guard
Keeps back flat and chin tucked in pass pro
Flashes hands to bait early reaction from rusher
Quick eyes to locate incoming T/E bulldozers

NFL.com Weaknesses:
Underwhelming physical traits
Technique in pass protection is way behind
Short arms will get him in trouble at tackle or guard
Inconsistent distribution of weight in pass sets
Deposited into pocket too often by speed-to-power
Excessive outside hands force him to maul at times
Needs to guard against hurrying and over-extension in run game
Sits on second-level climb blocks rather than moving them

East Street's Worthless Opinion:
Talent Grade (O or D): C+
Talent Grade (STs): C
Team Need Grade: B
Round Value Grade: B
55 Man Chance: 50%
Practice Squad Chance: 90%
Floor : Cut
Ceiling: Starting C or RG
Year 1 Prediction: Practice Squad
Long Term Prediction: Depth C or G

East Street's Hot Take:
Still a raw OL given he just transitioned to OL 2 years ago, and still developing his body (gained 50lbs in last 2 years). Smart kid who works hard in the class and weight room. Might take a year or two to develop, but might turn out to be a long term depth guy or starting C or RG. Better run blocking that pass blocking, but technique coaching can help with that. First Team All Conference is pretty impressive given the position switch and weight gain. I won't count him out.

Links:
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/danny-pinter?id=32195049-4e82-2310-34ae-931c132fa606

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/25/2020-nfl-draft-colts-danny-pinter-things-to-know/

http://collegiate.nflpa.com/2019/12/25/nflpa-collegiate-bowl-spotlight-ball-state-ot-danny-pinter/

https://www.ballstatedaily.com/article/2018/08/achbws2bs9nkq41

Vids:

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

Drafted due to the loss of Joe Haeg and Josh Andrews.  Should fit into the primary backup slot of any of the interior line within a year.  Will he compete with Glowinski for a starting job?  Doubtful.

I fully expect Glow to keep his job this year. A year of S&C plus technique coaching though might help Pinter out a lot, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if Pinter came on strong in 21 or 22.

8 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

He’s an exceptional leader, and extremely tough. If anything he will make Glow work harder. He’ll need development in pass protection... Ball State has not been much for throwing since Brady Hoke and Nate Davis left.  

I really hope it does push Glow. He had a pretty good PFF grade in 2018, and took a step back last year. I do think he was a little hobbled for a few weeks but played through. 

As I said in my draft recap posts in other threads, I'd have liked to see them get someone a little better, but I really like Pinter. Agreed that he likely isn't starting his rookie year (except for injury to a starter, of course), but this kid can definitely play in this league. Like everyone else, I love how he moves for an interior lineman, and while every player, especially rookies, need development, I think his movement and athleticism will really help speed that development, especially in pass protection.

What's going to be really fun seeing with this kid, though, is when he pulls and leads on running plays. With his movement ability, I can see some really nice downfield blocks in his future. :thmup:

55 minutes ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

As I said in my draft recap posts in other threads, I'd have liked to see them get someone a little better, but I really like Pinter. Agreed that he likely isn't starting his rookie year (except for injury to a starter, of course), but this kid can definitely play in this league. Like everyone else, I love how he moves for an interior lineman, and while every player, especially rookies, need development, I think his movement and athleticism will really help speed that development, especially in pass protection.

What's going to be really fun seeing with this kid, though, is when he pulls and leads on running plays. With his movement ability, I can see some really nice downfield blocks in his future. :thmup:

If he weren't a conversion player (TE to OT), I wouldn't be nearly as high on him TBH. And knowing he'll continue to slide in gives me more hope as well. 

Archived