Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard on The Herd

This is great. Should be up on YouTube later. Here are some highlights. 

He laughs at Colin was pumping up Pittman because he was afraid we would lose out on him.

Ballard talks again about Eason needing a lot of work. Say they feel good about the situation they are putting him into.

Always take the best player despite need.

Talks about Rivers. He is going to play to win. Feel the colts can protect him.

54 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is great. Should be up on YouTube later. Here are some highlights. 

He laughs at Colin was pumping up Pittman because he was afraid we would lose out on him.

Ballard talks again about Eason needing a lot of work. Say they feel good about the situation they are putting him into.

Talks about Rivers. He is going to play to win. Feel the colts can protect him.

He’s impressive as always with his chats. Pretty straightforward with BPA, Eason at the time we picked him up was #2 or #3 for players left on the board I believe. 

6 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

He’s impressive as always with his chats. Pretty straightforward with BPA, Eason at the time we picked him up was #2 or #3 for players left on the board I believe. 

ESPN had he and Fromm with similar grades (Fromm 82 and Eason 81) and no one else left was close to that grade. 

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I look forward to watching/hearing this.   I'm such a Ballard fan.

So many GM's say take the best player despite need.   I don't really feel they truly believe that.  We all know that it depends on the desperation of the need.  The Colts desperately needed a D-lineman so they used their 13th pick on Buckner.  Great move to fill a position of need.   Maybe Buckner was also the best player they could get with that pick too.  

I would agree that "best player" is the go to for later round picks.  

20 minutes ago, Myles said:

So many GM's say take the best player despite need.   I don't really feel they truly believe that.  We all know that it depends on the desperation of the need.  The Colts desperately needed a D-lineman so they used their 13th pick on Buckner.  Great move to fill a position of need.   Maybe Buckner was also the best player they could get with that pick too.  

Basically if you have two players graded the same you take need.  Buckner was already proven. Kinlaw is only hoping to be as good as Buckner.

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Basically if you have two players graded the same you take need.  

I agree.    Even a lesser graded player at times will get taken based on desperation of the need.   Now a good GM may trade down to take that lesser player.  

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

I agree.    Even a lesser graded player at times will get taken based on desperation of the need.   Now a good GM may trade down to take that lesser player.  

Ballard basically said in that interview if a player has unique traits you take him no matter if you need that  position or not. Basically that’s how you get stars on this roster. 

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard basically said in that interview if a player has unique traits you take him no matter if you need that  position or not. Basically that’s how you get stars on this roster. 

I'm not sure I believe him though.   Granted for his time in Indy, nearly every position was a position of need so it would work.   I don't think there is any chance that Ballard would have taken a LB or LG in the 1st even if they were the best player available.   Once all the holes are filled, it is another story.  I think Taylor was on a short list of "best available players when Ballard took him, but he does fill a need since Mack is on his last year.  

I think ballard is trying to let fans know Eason isn’t ready. That’s why he says pump the breaks. He doesn’t want fans to think he is going to come in right away and be the savior. It just sounded really harsh the other night. 

I didn't think it came across harsh the other night. They had just asked him three or four questions in a row about Eason, and Ballard was just saying 'he's a 4th rounder, we have a starter and a backup already, at best he's QB3, and we'll see what happens, let's move on.' 

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'm not sure I believe him though.   Granted for his time in Indy, nearly every position was a position of need so it would work.   I don't think there is any chance that Ballard would have taken a LB or LG in the 1st even if they were the best player available.   Once all the holes are filled, it is another story.  I think Taylor was on a short list of "best available players when Ballard took him, but he does fill a need since Mack is on his last year.  

It also depends who is already on your roster. I mean we have Leonard with unique traits so taking a clone wouldn’t make sense.

Ballard is doing exactly what I expected him to do and what I wanted him to do with his statements about Eason. It serves purposes on multiple levels - tempering expectations by fans, setting a narrative(or rather killing one preemptively) with the media, sending a message to Eason himself...

I don't mind any of it... 

13 minutes ago, Myles said:

I disagree with your last sentence.  Best player is the go for all rounds.  When there is a desperate need you trade or sign a vet, which they (as well as many fans) thought DT was a desperate need and Ballard has said it takes those guys a couple of years to really hit their stride, so you can't, IMO, use Buckner as an example of not drafting BPA.

Now need factors into a players grade because they give weighted averages to positions that are more of a need.  For example, DT is considered the top need, so it has a weight of 1.0.  DE is considered the 2nd need so it has a weight of 0.99, so and so fourth.  That is how teams balance need with BPA.  Also the weights are developed more on needs in the next 1-3 years not the needs for the upcoming season.

14 minutes ago, Myles said:

He did trade up to get Taylor.  He must have been on the top of his BPA list and he took no chances on losing him.  

I think ballard is trying to let fans know Eason isn’t ready. That’s why he says pump the breaks. He doesn’t want fans to think he is going to come in right away and be the savior. It just sounded really harsh the other night. 

Hmmm, I think most of the fans know that he's not ready, rather a project QB.  We shall see how this project pans out. 

20 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It also depends who is already on your roster. I mean we have Leonard with unique traits so taking a clone wouldn’t make sense.

Exactly.   The lack of "need" made it extremely unlikely of drafting a player if he was a Leonard clone even if he was the best available player.  

16 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I disagree with your last sentence.  Best player is the go for all rounds.  When there is a desperate need you trade or sign a vet, which they (as well as many fans) thought DT was a desperate need and Ballard has said it takes those guys a couple of years to really hit their stride, so you can't, IMO, use Buckner as an example of not drafting BPA.

I disagree.   "Need" is factored into any equation.  Just not as much in the later rounds.   I think it is a very thin line in most cases.  Had Love dropped to the 34th pick, I'm not so sure Pittman would have been drafted even though Pittman was the BPA in many people minds.  

53 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Here it is.

Honestly, every position coach should be happy. Jim Irsey should be especially happy. I feel as though CB was like, "Jim, I have a gift for you I bought in the 4th round. A shiny talented, strong armed QB that just needs adequate coaching/development.

Here's the recap:

1st  - All Pro DT (NFL top 3) 

2nd - top 5-7 WR (at least) 

2nd - top 3 RB (at least/ "guaranteed")

4th - arguably top 5 QB

Also DBs x2, a Outside LB (Glassgow), DT, and Olineman. Every position coach has something to coach/play with. 

Maybe he didn't mean it as a direct comparison but when he was talking about it being undervalued that Rivers isn't afraid to take chances if the games on the line and isn't interested in looking after his own stats, I couldn't help but think he was referencing what they didn't have in Brissett.

41 minutes ago, Superman said:

I didn't think it came across harsh the other night. They had just asked him three or four questions in a row about Eason, and Ballard was just saying 'he's a 4th rounder, we have a starter and a backup already, at best he's QB3, and we'll see what happens, let's move on.' 

I think it’s the term “ Messiah” that may have resonated so strongly. Lol. 

2 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

He could of just said we like his traits but has a lot of upside. There was no reason to say he still has to make the team and talk down to him by saying he is a 4th rd pick. Just say they like his traits and he has to work hard. 

6 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

For sure, and I got why he used it. I felt he was trying to shut down the hype, because it was like 'hey, you drafted a QB, you must think he's the guy right?'

He drafted a QB in the fourth round. And he has two veterans ahead of him. He's not solving all of our perceived issues at QB, especially not in Year 1. Let's slow everything else down. That's what I got from Ballard's response. 

A fun interview.
  I agree that during the draft it was a good thing watching the coach and GM at home, and so often with their kids around. Great that Ballard said his kid was questioning his moves. I got a laugh out of that.
 More cameras at home with the draftees showing them getting the call sounds great to me.
  And i got a kick out of Collin talking about how much of the draft he watched, eating chips etc.
 I did the same and really enjoyed this draft.

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

For sure, and I got why he used it. I felt he was trying to shut down the hype, because it was like 'hey, you drafted a QB, you must think he's the guy right?'

He drafted a QB in the fourth round. And he has two veterans ahead of him. He's not solving all of our perceived issues at QB, especially not in Year 1. Let's slow everything else down. That's what I got from Ballard's response. 

Even even said, "Slow your roll..."  I agree with your take.  I think Eason is like any other 4th round pick, the team hopes they work hard and you found a diamond in the rough but you don't count on it.

31 minutes ago, Superman said:

Exactly. He was asked about 5 consecutive questions about Eason, as if he were the only draftee that mattered. He may have been getting a bit annoyed. I know I was.

49 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

A fun interview.
  I agree that during the draft it was a good thing watching the coach and GM at home, and so often with their kids around. Great that Ballard said his kid was questioning his moves. I got a laugh out of that.
 More cameras at home with the draftees showing them getting the call sounds great to me.
  And i got a kick out of Collin talking about how much of the draft he watched, eating chips etc.
 I did the same and really enjoyed this draft.

It was my favorite draft setup. I wish they would do it again next year. I liked the kid that was making faces behind his Dad. Lol

20 minutes ago, egg said:

Exactly. He was asked about 5 consecutive questions about Eason, as if he were the only draftee that mattered. He may have been getting a bit annoyed. I know I was.

Annoyed?   Seriously?   Over what?

people here get kissed when the media doesn’t ask enough questions, or the right questions.   Now you’re not happy because they asked too many questions.

Damned if they do.  Damned if they don’t. 

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard has always had a good relationship wirh Colin. If you here Herd talk about rumors for the colts you listen. After Luck retired Colin mentioned how his usual sources weren’t talking and he knew something was up. 

Colin was pretty adamant we were signing Rivers.  Predicted it a long time ago based on his sources.  

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Exactly.   The lack of "need" made it extremely unlikely of drafting a player if he was a Leonard clone even if he was the best available player.  

I disagree.   "Need" is factored into any equation.  Just not as much in the later rounds.   I think it is a very thin line in most cases.  Had Love dropped to the 34th pick, I'm not so sure Pittman would have been drafted even though Pittman was the BPA in many people minds.  

I think I covered that.  But believe what you want.. I will believe Ballard and every other successful GM I've read or listened to... and that is you draft best player available regardless of need (and definitely not based on fan's perceived need).  The two reasons they always give are... because need is temporary and there are other ways to address needs., mainly free agency and trades, or you trade back, so the BPA lines up with the need..  Ballard even said that in the conversation on the Herd.

40 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Annoyed?   Seriously?   Over what?

people here get kissed when the media doesn’t ask enough questions, or the right questions.   Now you’re not happy because they asked too many questions.

Damned if they do.  Damned if they don’t. 

Yeah, you media people are so misunderstood. :).

10 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I think I covered that.  But believe what you want.. I will believe Ballard and every other successful GM I've read or listened to... and that is you draft best player available regardless of need (and definitely not based on fan's perceived need).  The two reasons they always give are... because need is temporary and there are other ways to address needs., mainly free agency and trades.  Ballard even said that in the conversation on the Herd.

I agree that the BPA is the most likely to be drafted by a GM.   I'm just saying that it is not set in stone as it depends on the needs of a team.   Had the Colts O-line not been as bad, I don't think Nelson, a guard, would have been taken with the 6th pick.  Same with Smith in the 2nd round.  The need was there and Ballard knew it.

I will admit that some of my arguing is coming from a poster who was arguing that the Colts should have drafted Darnold instead of Nelson because he was the better player available.   

Archived