Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Steve Smith commenting on Pittman & Taylor

What’s up with this dude? I hesitate to call national commentators “haters” but I didn’t think his “analysis” was very objective.

I wonder if he will be big enough (pardon the pun), to eat crow, should both do well.

Colts comments start at 5:22

• Like 1

haha  Not a whole lot of in depth analysis here. From my POV it sounded like he didn’t have much notes about the pics or how the colts will utilize them. Just another talking head with a very low pulse on what’s happening in Indy. 

• Like 4
30 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

What’s up with this dude? I hesitate to call national commentators “haters” but I didn’t think his “analysis” was very objective.

I wonder if he will be big enough (pardon the pun), to eat crow, should both do well.

Colts comments start at 5:22

It seems that Steve Smith is an *.  

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Superfly said:

I think I Had a flashback, when Eric Dickerson tried his hand being a sideline reporter. 

It was brutal. 

Just looked it up on YouTube for nostalgia sake. Oh dear god was that painful to watch.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

For some reason, Steve Smith is basing his opinion of Pittman on TY. Everyone knows Pittman isn't a burner and nobody expects him to fill that role. We have burners with TY and Campbell. What we needed was a prototypical X and that's exactly what we got with Pittman.

Charles Davis' analysis following Steve Smith's comments was night and day. He gave an informed analysis that highlighted where these players fit on our offense.

I’ve got no problem with anything Smith said.   He was not caught off guard.   

Honestly, as a former player who has turned to being an analyst, Smith us one of my favorites.  Does far more homework than most former players. 

Don’t judge Smith by one appearance.  Judge by his body of work.   I think if you do that, you’ll be very impressed with him.   Honestly. 

• Haha 1

It was nothing but him deciding to focus on the 1 major criticism on both players. 

Taylor catching the football has been questioned.

Pittman is said to have everything but "quickness." 

Where I think Smith is unreasonable is these were not top 10 draft picks. They have so many more positives than these 2 negatives. The video of some of Pittman's catches on Stampede Blue are really super impressive. Great routes , body control and hands.

To me this was just a crappy 2 minute blip . No great analysis would be an understatement . Other words ... ehhh .. what else ya got Steve ?

He says Mack "struggles"when he's injured and Taylor "doesn't really catch the ball out of the backfield"... 

That's his criticism of the Taylor pick......not very insightful.

• Like 1

If the big knock on a back is that he didn’t catch passes out of the backfield in college, then I think he is in pretty good shape. It’s not that hard to pick up. 

• Like 1

I don't understand how he says the Taylor pick is bad because Mack cant stay healthy... that is the reason we NEEDED to pick him.  

Pittman doesn't look fast when he runs... ya, he really doesn't "look" like he is running extremely fast but he is pulling away from DBs in his highlights.   Steve seems to not realize his long strides make him fast

Also... did anyone else notice he is trying really hard not to smirk or laugh before his comments?  kinda seems he was forcing the negative POV for the show

I didn't think he said anything bad at all.    I don't see why anyone would be upset with what he said.   

Just because the Colts draft someone it doesn't mean they are the greatest players ever drafted.   

Silly how some of you get your feelings hurt over stupid stuff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Steve Smith has a few screws loose.

No, seriously... i think he does.
And he has Chihuahua (little guy) syndrome where you “bark out” at everyone bigger than you.  For him, thats most over 12 years old. 

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, LockeDown said:

If the big knock on a back is that he didn’t catch passes out of the backfield in college, then I think he is in pretty good shape. It’s not that hard to pick up. 

Yeah, I wouldn't really even consider it much of a knock after last year considering he had 26 rec, 252 yards and 5 TDs.  I recall reading an article where one of the coaching staff was mentioning his improvement with regards to catching the ball last year.  Definitely still plenty of room for even greater improvement though.  

Seems like his main knock fumbles and pass protection.  Definitely areas the coaching staff can fix.  I'm super pumped to see this guy on the Colts.  

LaDainian Tomlinson seemed to speak pretty highly of him as well. 

• Like 2

Know Steve well living here in N.C. he’s a great guy intense and has a sneaky DRY humor lol Steve’s hating on Pitt for two reasons both funny 1 Steve was called slow and a huge underdog going into the pros Pitt is tall and Athletic and sneaky fast lol Steve then says he was avoiding the Utah game with Pitt because he flat out DESTROYED Them lol .Guys lighten up everyone knows the player we got he’s not a burner but the most NFL ready WR in the draft .He will kill it with Rivers think the Next Vincent Jackson .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Malakai432 said:

Yeah, I wouldn't really even consider it much of a knock after last year considering he had 26 rec, 252 yards and 5 TDs.  I recall reading an article where one of the coaching staff was mentioning his improvement with regards to catching the ball last year.  Definitely still plenty of room for even greater improvement though.  

Seems like his main knock fumbles and pass protection.  Definitely areas the coaching staff can fix.  I'm super pumped to see this guy on the Colts.  

LaDainian Tomlinson seemed to speak pretty highly of him as well. 

Hmmm...

26 receptions for 252 yards and 5 tds in 13 games. (9.69 yd/reception)

Thats 2 receptions, for 20 yards, and .38 tds Per Game

Last year(2019), Hines had 44 receptions for 320 yards and 0 tds in 16 games. (7 yd/reception)

Thats 2.75 receptions,  20 yards, and .0 tds Per Game. 

In 2018, , Hines was 63 for 425 yards and 2 tds in 16 games. (6.74 yd/reception)

Thats 4 receptions,  26 yards, and .125 tds Per Game.

Mack, last year(2019), was 14 receptions for 82 yards and 0 tds in 14 games.

Thats 1 reception, 5.85 yards, and 0 tds / Per Game.

Mach in 2018 had 17 catches for 103 yards and 1 td in 12 games.

Thats 1.4 carches, for 8.5 yards, and .08 tds Per Game.

I dont see a weakness.  Seems as good, or better production per reception.  Most of these are caught behind the line if scrimmage anyway.

37 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Good thing we don’t need Pittman to be fast we need him to get open and catch the ball. We have ty to be fast. Steve sounds stupid.

Campbell ran a 4.31 40.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Hmmm...

Last year(2019), Hines had 44 receptions for 320 yards and 0 tds in 16 games. (7 yd/reception)

In 2018, , Hines was 63 for 425 yards and 2 tds in 16 games. (6.74 yd/reception)

I dont see a weakness.  Seems as good, or better production per reception.  Most of these are caught behind the line if scrimmage anyway.

Campbell ran a 4.31 40.

Good breakdown, yeah I don't see his passing game being a knock but some analyst, critics do, ect.  I think he can even get much better which is scary.  Maybe not Zeke or Barkley level but who knows.  I don't think he'll really need to pull that much weight with our system.  

• Like 1

I wasn't that bothered by what he said.  I don't think he was knocking Pittman so much as he didn't think he was fast enough to be a fit.  And that has some merit.  When interviewed prior to his 40 run at the Combine even Pittman himself didn't give a real answer as to what he thought his goal was.  I get from the interview he was hoping for sub 4.5, but he was just over it, which is still very good for a guy his size.  But Smith did praise his ability to go up and get the ball, which is probably difficult for him seeing as Michael tore up his alma mater and a pretty good defense that day.  As for Taylor, I didn't get the feeling he was trashing Taylor so much as questioning the fit and the fact that it doesn't bode well for Mack's future in Indy, which is probably true.  Many people say Taylor cant' catch but the reality is he rarely got the opportunity.  They just don't throw to the RB's at Wisconsin, so the jury is still out on his hands.  When I saw him in drills at the Combine he looked good though.

Smith didn't really say anything that out of line IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Hmmm...

Campbell ran a 4.31 40.

As Malakai said good breakdown.

Very well thought out. Our offense didn't really play to it, bit neither did Wisconsin's. So comparison is valid imo. 

I think Hines about to blow up a little this year.

• Like 1

Some of the comments here make me wonder how many of you actually have the NFL Network and actually,  you know,  watch it?

Or do you base your opinion only by the clips that are posted here?

Seriously I'm curious.

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

He says Pittman is fast but not that fast? Ok.

Mack has been hurt and we can't rely on him. Ok.

When he said Mack's fantastic but doesn't look good when he's hurt, "you can't help the club when you're in the tub"  to me that's just a cliche statement.  It's true, but it seems like reading the horoscope in the newspaper.  A very broad statement that anyone can relate to, but really doesn't provide much insight.

11 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Maybe because Smith is a small WR...he naturally doesn’t like big WRS.

I am joking...but I do remember him not being a fan of Funchess.

He says closer to the end "when I watch TY's tape, Pittman doesn't look TY fast."  Yes, TY is a WR in the mold of Smith.  It's very hard to watch an NFL player's tape (who Smith has also seen live as an opponent) and compare it to college film.  And, TBH, very few WRs look 'TY fast' in the NFL (when TY's healthy).  

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Some of the comments here make me wonder how many of you actually have the NFL Network and actually,  you know,  watch it?

Or do you base your opinion only by the clips that are posted here?

Seriously I'm curious.

I like NFL Network- with the exception of GMFB, which is at times, over-the-top banter, hyperbole and silly analogies.

I guess they have to fill the time with something and I do like the interviews but it’s just hard for me to get into. 
  As far as Steve Smith, I find him to be halarious at times and although his points could be accurate, I think time will show his concerns to be unwarranted.

I actually think Steve Smith is one of the better WRs I have ever seen play. I would label him as very good, better than good, but not great. He was very good though. As a media guy he has had some odd takes but everyone has opinions.

He didnt really knock anyone. And his mention of their shortcomings? I'd be surprised if our own staff didnt mention it already. 

Just because you arent praising doesnt mean you're hating. 

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

Good breakdown, yeah I don't see his passing game being a knock but some analyst, critics do, ect.  I think he can even get much better which is scary.  Maybe not Zeke or Barkley level but who knows.  I don't think he'll really need to pull that much weight with our system.  

Certainly not Zeke or Barkley level. . . that's a big reason why he was available at 41.  Zeke and Barkely I think both went in the top 5.  

I am skeptical of Wisconsin RB's though.  They never seem to live up to their college hype.  But I hope Taylor does.  

• Like 1
10 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I like NFL Network- with the exception of GMFB, which is at times, over-the-top banter, hyperbole and silly analogies.

I guess they have to fill the time with something and I do like the interviews but it’s just hard for me to get into. 
  As far as Steve Smith, I find him to be halarious at times and although his points could be accurate, I think time will show his concerns to be unwarranted.

I'm not saying I agree with him....   I'm only saying I'm not bothered too much by him.    But having worked with former athlete's I find Smith much better than most, who rely mostly on opinion without doing much homework.  

I think Smith does plenty of homework.   He works at his craft.   But I think he takes himself way too seriously,  and needs to relax a little bit.    I agree this appearance was not a good one,  but I don't like judging anyone on a bad day.    I've seen him enough to know most of his days and appearances and work,  even his written work on the dot-com site is quite good.    This was a poor effort.    I suspect he knows it.

• Haha 1