Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL.com Power Rankings Post Draft

ProblChld32

Not really shocking, to me.  

With 3 games lost by kicking last year, we were 7-9 and in the race (could easily have been 9-6-1 or 10-6).  We were depleted at WR and TE (at least after Ebron hung them up).  Our QB play declined over the course of the year.  Our DBs were young and our DL took a major step back.

We added a potential HOF QB (granted late in his career, but he should be an immediate upgrade).  I have to assume our FG/XP game can't get worse than it was last year.  We added a 26 year old monster (coming off two consecutive all-pro years) to the middle of our DL.  We've added two veteran CBs and our young guys should be better with more experience plus a better DL.  And we have Hilton and Campbell coming into the season healthy along with a big bodied early 2nd rounder, the return of Pascal, potentially Fountain, and another big bodied (and fast) WR in Patmon... making guys that were our sometimes 2nd-4th WRs last year be pushed back to 5th-8th WRs going into training camp.  We get Turay back healthy.

In all honesty, if this team stays healthy, they should be a lot better than they were last year with the offseason Ballard has strung together.

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I put the over/under wins at 9.5. On paper we look like a 10 win team. Early prediction, I say 10-6. I think we make the playoffs at 10-6.

If we stay healthy, I think we're closer to an 11 win team.  

Think we should beat Jax 2x, and split with Tenn and Houston (so that's 4-2 in division -- maybe better).

We should be able to beat NYJ, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Cincinatti.  That's another 5 wins to bring us to 9 total.

Then we have Green Bay, Minnesota, Raiders, Ravens, Pittsburgh.  The Ravens are very tough and I expect Green Bay will be very tough.  Let's call them losses.  If we can get 2-3 wins among Minn, Raiders and Pitt. we should be in good shape to get 11-12 wins.

Also, based on the way the schedule is, we have our 6 division games.  All other AFC South teams get the entire NFC North (Bears, Lions, Packers, Vikings) and AFC North (Ravens, Steelers Browns, Bengals).  Since we were 3rd in our division we get 3rd from AFC East (Jets), 3rd from AFC West (Raiders).  HOU gets to play NE and Kansas City.  Tenn gets to play Denver and Buffalo from the AFC West and East, respectively.  I think we have a better shot at being OAK than HOU has at KC.  I also think we have a better shot at beating NYJ than HOU has at New England (even though Brady's gone).  I think we have a better shot at beating NYJ than Tenn has to beat Buffalo and I'd call it a toss up between us vs. Raiders and Tenn vs. Denver at this point.

Of course things can change, but I don't see the Jets, the Bears, the Browns, the Lions or the Bengals being any sort of a threat this year.  I also think Pittsburgh is on the decline, and we should've beat them last year save a missed FG late in the game.  

While all teams in AFC South have improved, I think we made the most improvements (assuming we stay healthy).  Now, I just hope no major setbacks happen from postponing mini-camps and other off-season activities.

3 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

If we stay healthy, I think we're closer to an 11 win team.  

Think we should beat Jax 2x, and split with Tenn and Houston (so that's 4-2 in division -- maybe better).

We should be able to beat NYJ, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Cincinatti.  That's another 5 wins to bring us to 9 total.

Then we have Green Bay, Minnesota, Raiders, Ravens, Pittsburgh.  The Ravens are very tough and I expect Green Bay will be very tough.  Let's call them losses.  If we can get 2-3 wins among Minn, Raiders and Pitt. we should be in good shape to get 11-12 wins.

Also, based on the way the schedule is, we have our 6 division games.  All other AFC South teams get the entire NFC North (Bears, Lions, Packers, Vikings) and AFC North (Ravens, Steelers Browns, Bengals).  Since we were 3rd in our division we get 3rd from AFC East (Jets), 3rd from AFC West (Raiders).  HOU gets to play NE and Kansas City.  Tenn gets to play Denver and Buffalo from the AFC West and East, respectively.  I think we have a better shot at being OAK than HOU has at KC.  I also think we have a better shot at beating NYJ than HOU has at New England (even though Brady's gone).  I think we have a better shot at beating NYJ than Tenn has to beat Buffalo and I'd call it a toss up between us vs. Raiders and Tenn vs. Denver at this point.

Of course things can change, but I don't see the Jets, the Bears, the Browns, the Lions or the Bengals being any sort of a threat this year.  I also think Pittsburgh is on the decline, and we should've beat them last year save a missed FG late in the game.  

While all teams in AFC South have improved, I think we made the most improvements (assuming we stay healthy).  Now, I just hope no major setbacks happen from postponing mini-camps and other off-season activities.

If everything goes right we can win 11, I have us at 10 as an early prediction. I think our ceiling is 11, our basement is 8 even if Brissett plays some games due to Rivers being injured. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If everything goes right we can win 11, I have us at 10 as an early prediction. I think our ceiling is 11, our basement is 8 even if Brissett plays some games due to Rivers being injured. 

I just hope things get back to normal sometime soon.  We've got a lot of new pieces.  IMO, the two biggest threats to ruining our season are (1) injury bug again, and (2) not enough time to develop team chemistry.

I know a lot of teams are in that boat, but how many who are expecting to compete for the post-season are going into the season with a new QB.  Two rookie WRs.  A new TE.  Potentially a new RB.  Then likely at least 2 (Buckner and Rhodes) starters at key positions on D.  I think with all that going on, it may be a bit more important for our team to get reps earlier than other teams who are returning their starting QBs and likely to have a bit more continuity than us.

6 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I just hope things get back to normal sometime soon.  We've got a lot of new pieces.  IMO, the two biggest threats to ruining our season are (1) injury bug again, and (2) not enough time to develop team chemistry.

I know a lot of teams are in that boat, but how many who are expecting to compete for the post-season are going into the season with a new QB.  Two rookie WRs.  A new TE.  Potentially a new RB.  Then likely at least 2 (Buckner and Rhodes) starters at key positions on D.  I think with all that going on, it may be a bit more important for our team to get reps earlier than other teams who are returning their starting QBs and likely to have a bit more continuity than us.

Health is always a huge part, that is why I just put our win total at 10 as a safety. Rivers rarely gets injured and I like our younger guys talent wise. I hope TY can stay healthy, maybe Pittman will get a lot of targets to keep him fresher?

9 wins is the floor.

We should do way better in our division this year because the Jaguars and Texans both got worse. Should be able to sweep them both tbh. Probably split with Tennessee though. They’re good.

The hard part will be the other teams outside of our division because so many teams had good drafts and offseasons. Gotta play teams like the Ravens, Vikings, and Steelers who we can never beat.

Archived