Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Alex Smith Injury

danlhart87

Yeah, the compartment syndrome of Rahim Moore probably is worse than this one:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1856201-breaking-down-rahim-moores-injury-compartment-syndrome-and-limb-saving-surgery

We all may remember Rahim Moore for his failed defense on the Joe Flacco Hail Mary but things like these remind you life is bigger than football. That is why they hold out and fight for contracts with more guaranteed money because that is all they can hang on to.

9 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Ouch.... That is very gruesome. Who was the one who made the tackle on Alex Smith? I couldn't remember.

JJ Watt. I went against my better judgment and looked at the picture...he really is a blessed man. That was one horrific infection. 

Yes, his injury was very significant, and treatment needed heroic efforts including throwing the kitchen sink at it.  Here's an x-ray (the lower part of the broken fibula was what people saw sticking out) of his type of injury-

gl81NsP.jpg

and items needed to fix it. Plate and screws (internal fixation). Yes, confirmed-

vwoYfyb.jpg

Eventually, an intramedullary nail-

x4spCDY.jpg

I understand external fixation of the Tibia was also used at some point. 

sUJOMhB.jpg

A lot of necrotic tissue and muscle was cut out during treatment/recovery, including his tibialis anterior muscle.  If that is true, I'm sure there is going to be some 'right side foot slap' when he runs/jogs. I know how it feels, as I had left side foot drop when my peroneal nerve (it also controls that muscle) was damaged in a bad lower back disc protrusion injury two years ago. I slowly recovered the nerve function a good amount, so I improved a lot. Not sure how Smith performs with his muscle removed.

Found the video special-

Archived