Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
Coffeedrinker

Isiah Rodgers

He doesn’t look 5’10’’...or at least doesn’t play like it. 

• Like 2

Yep, it's a rarity to see highlight tape of a late round pick that catches my attention quite like this one did. There are multiple WOW moments that any R1 athlete would be proud of on that tape. Not only does Rodgers jump off of that tape, but the tape itself jumps off the numerous other highlight tapes you would see on day 3. I cannot wait to find full game tape of him and watch some of it this week. He's on top of my list. 

• Like 2

I am really, really impressed by his ability to play the ball in the air.

It just looks effortless for him to turn and find it when running at full speed.  Many CBs struggle with that. 

Here's a nice interview with Rodgers:

Every single one of the picks this year seems extremely bright and well-spoken. 

• Like 2

Wow!  Lightning fast!  Those two plays where he caught a receiver who broke away from other defenders and then he forced fumbles on both...he came out of nowhere!

This man looks fast on tape.  Check that.  Super fast on tape.  His ACCELERATION is amazing.  On that kick off return towards the end of the video he turned on the jets and destroyed the angle so quickly...  Wow.  His speed is real.  He has potential to flash in camp and make the squad.

Looooovvve that play at about 1:50 where he catches the player headed for the end zone and chops the ball away. That....is speed and determination you can't teach.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LockeDown said:

Isn’t he related Rodgers Cromarti? That’s what I read.

Yes they are cousins

Just now, LockeDown said:

You are correct they are cousins.

I know it can be fools gold to fall for a late round pick but from highlights only I am looking forward to watching him the most of our rookies this preseason. I know our first 2 picks SHOULD have the greatest impact on our season but I hope he makes the squad and can contribute in some capacity as well.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

I think he said they were together for the draft.  I hope his cousin Antonio didn’t come over with his kids.  They definitely would have violated the “10 People in one room” rule.  

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, M0NEYdontLIE said:

You are correct they are cousins.

I know it can be fools gold to fall for a late round pick but from highlights only I am looking forward to watching him the most of our rookies this preseason. I know our first 2 picks SHOULD have the greatest impact on our season but I hope he makes the squad and can contribute in some capacity as well.

I would really like to see him take some punt returns. That could be really entertaining. 

13 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I think he said they were together for the draft.  I hope his cousin Antonio didn’t come over with his kids.  They definitely would have violated the “10 People in one room” rule.  

DRC is his cousin. You're thinking of Antonio Cromartie, who is DRC's cousin.

From DRC's last name(s), I'm assuming Isaiah is on the Rodgers side of DRC's family and not the Cromartie side.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Every single one of the picks this year seems extremely bright and well-spoken. 

I like that about Ballard/Reich.  It seems like just about every player they've brought into this organization since being here is well-spoken and has high character.  I imagine some of that is due to the organization having Brian Decker help vet new-comers.... but come to think of it, I can't think of a single (negative) off-field incident being reported by any of our players since Ballard's been GM.  Not that we had a lot, but with Grigs there was LaVon Brazil, Da'Rick Rogers, John Boyett, Landry/Art Jones(more steroids than arrests for those two), Jonathan Newsome, etc.

In terms of Isaiah Rodgers - the guy is blazing fast.  He had the most return yards in the country last year.  He has also said repeatedly in interviews he's ready to come in here and be a gunner, returner, or whatever they need on D or STs.  

He is a freak athlete, that is for sure.  I don't think his height is much of a concern -- 5'10" is fairly average for a CB (Kenny Moore is 5'9").  Rodgers also has very long arms, despite being shy of 6'0", which is something Ballard seems to covet.  He is a playmaker (as evidenced in that video by his forced fumbles, INTs and returns).  I think what's more concerning is his weight (170 lbs), though he didn't seem to have durability issues in college... no reason the Colts shouldn't be able to bulk him up slightly without having him lose his speed.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

I would really like to see him take some punt returns. That could be really entertaining. 

Yes, I'll be interested how/if this impacts Hines' role on the team at all.  He struggled early in his career muffing some punts, etc.. but late last year he was dynamite (2 PR return TDs in one game vs. Carolina for example).  I would expect Isaiah R. will be given a shot to compete at both KR and PR, though I tend to envision him as having a better shot at KR and Hines at PR next year... i guess we'll wait to see it play out.

21 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

no reason the Colts shouldn't be able to bulk him up slightly without having him lose his speed.

...and even if he did lose a little speed...he's got speed to spare. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Shive said:

DRC is his cousin. You're thinking of Antonio Cromartie, who is DRC's cousin.

From DRC's last name(s), I'm assuming Isaiah is on the Rodgers side of DRC's family and not the Cromartie side.

Correct

38 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

...and even if he did lose a little speed...he's got speed to spare. 

True -- I guess my point is, don't want him to bulk up too much as that can impact both speed and agility... regardless, there's a reason why NFL teams have strength and conditioning programs that are almost always better than college programs -- I'm sure they won't ruin him.

• Like 2