Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should the Colts sign D.J. Fluker

8 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

He was bad with San Diego and average with Seattle. Just a big guy but nothing special..

I disagree. That is guy that allowed  the chargers  running backs to destroy us a few years back A great run blocker.

He was good his rookie year as the Chargers starting right tackle, but then he got progressively worse every year after that, including after he was moved inside to guard. The primary reasons were that he continually let his weight balloon and got in worse and worse shape, and he's also not, hmmm.... how shall I say this kindly.... not the brightest bulb in the pack. So I don't know if it's because it took him far too long to learn how to play guard for the first time in his life, or what it was, but he became a real disaster before they let him go.

I haven't followed him since, so I have no idea what he's like now. But I can just imagine what Philip might think if he suddenly saw Fluke on the practice field with him again one day, "Oh gosh darn dagnabbit, what's HE doing here?!!!"

39 minutes ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

He was good his rookie year as the Chargers starting right tackle, but then he got progressively worse every year after that, including after he was moved inside to guard. The primary reasons were that he continually let his weight balloon and got in worse and worse shape, and he's also not, hmmm.... how shall I say this kindly.... not the brightest bulb in the pack. So I don't know if it's because it took him far too long to learn how to play guard for the first time in his life, or what it was, but he became a real disaster before they let him go.

I haven't followed him since, so I have no idea what he's like now. But I can just imagine what Philip might think if he suddenly saw Fluke on the practice field with him again one day, "Oh gosh darn dagnabbit, what's HE doing here?!!!"

You do make a great point here. Rivers knows him well; if he has any qualms about the guy he’s already in the “Never Gonna Happen” category.   

I don’t understand all the love here for Fluker?

Drafted by San Diego in the first round, let go after 4 years.

Signed by the Giants, let go after one year.

Signed by the Seahawks, a team that lives to run the ball, let go after two years.

He’s 0 for 3.   So why do we want him again?   Maybe Glowinski had a poor year because he was hurt?  Maybe?  But we liked him enough after his first season to give him a 3/16.2 mill contract.  So we clearly like him. 

Then again, we may have just drafted his future replacement?  Ballard said he loves Pinter and tried to trade UP to make sure we got him.   We did.  So Glow is likely on notice. 

So why the Fluker Love here?  

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Signed by the Seahawks, a team that lives to run the ball, let go after two years.

He’s 0 for 3.   So why do we want him again?   Maybe Glowinski had a poor year because he was hurt?  Maybe?  But we liked him enough after his first season to give him a 3/16.2 mill contract.  So we clearly like him. 

Then again, we may have just drafted his future replacement?  Ballard said he loves Pinter and tried to trade UP to make sure we got him.   We did.  So Glow is likely on notice. 

I agree. The only way I would think Fluker is at all an option is if Phillip really loves the guy and wants him. Outside if that I'd rather give the roster spot to a young guy with upside. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Backup/competition for our current starters, he can play guard or RT and he's only 29 so he still has 4 or 5 good years in him. He wouldn't be an immediate upgrade over our starters but if one (not named Castonzo) went down he would fill in nicely as a swing backup. 

23 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Good backup if nothing else. He has been better since he switched to guard and more depth at tackle.

The positive insight we have as an organization is Frank and Nick were in San Diego.  If their time overlapped with Fluker's (I believe it did but now 100% sure), we'll know their thoughts of him as a "fit" rather quickly.  No conversation?  Wasn't thought of very highly.  Reach out for interest?  They believe he's worth it.  

5 hours ago, joecolts said:

The positive insight we have as an organization is Frank and Nick were in San Diego.  If their time overlapped with Fluker's (I believe it did but now 100% sure), we'll know their thoughts of him as a "fit" rather quickly.  No conversation?  Wasn't thought of very highly.  Reach out for interest?  They believe he's worth it.  

Reich's first year on the Chargers staff (2013) under first year head coach Mike McCoy was also the first year of your former guy Telesco as Chargers GM, and their first pick as a new "braintrust" was none other than DJ Fluker at pick 11. As I said, he actually played solid his rookie year as their new starting right tackle, but it went nowhere but downhill from there, culminating in them letting him go after just 4 years. And with very good reason, too. Not a good resume item to be dumped so soon when you were the very first draft pick in the career of the guy who then cut you loose.

Archived