Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Derrick Henry

Horseshoelife19

Yeah. We finally got us a back that will be talked about and hyped up non stop on all the talk shows and the pregame shows, The NFL network and On Our prime time games lol. I love it. Everybody’s about to know who JT is. Even the casual fans. But for real. Man JT is gonna be an absolute STUD for us. I love this kid. I had him as the best RB ahead of Swift and CEH. But I mean I wasn’t even wanting him or hoping for him, and definitely not expecting us to grab him, but I immediately liked it. We got a 1st round talent in the mid 2nd and he’s about to be a household name. 

13 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Yeah. We finally got us a back that will be talked about and hyped up non stop on all the talk shows and the pregame shows, The NFL network and On Our prime time games lol. I love it. Everybody’s about to know who JT is. Even the casual fans. But for real. Man JT is gonna be an absolute STUD for us. I love this kid. I had him as the best RB ahead of Swift and CEH. But I mean I wasn’t even wanting him or hoping for him, and definitely not expecting us to grab him, but I immediately liked it. We got a 1st round talent in the mid 2nd and he’s about to be a household name. 

He is NOT the starter.  He is brought in to learn from Mack.    I am not a Mack supporter but I will say he is a legit pass pro protector and the rook needs to learn from him 

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Mack will not be resigned.  They r going to run him into the ground.  Taylor was drafted in case Mack gets hurt, which is inevitable, and as his replacement for next year.

wut... How are they going to run him into the ground? Are they not going to give Taylor carries?

I do think they'll start Taylor off slow (25ish % of snaps/carries), but they'll likely be 50/50 by mid season. They're all in on winning this year, and will run whatever back gives them that best chance.

Just now, EastStreet said:

wut... How are they going to run him into the ground? Are they not going to give Taylor carries?

I do think they'll start Taylor off slow (25ish % of snaps/carries), but they'll likely be 50/50 by mid season. They're all in on winning this year, and will run whatever back gives them that best chance.

I think Mack will get majority of the carries.  I could see Taylor breaking out in the post season,if they make it, or towards the end of the year

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think Mack will get majority of the carries.  I could see Taylor breaking out in the post season,if they make it, or towards the end of the year

He's a ready now back. He's much more advanced than Mack was in terms of patience and knowing when to pick his hole. He's perfect for what we do most of the time (zone blocking), and would probably do even better in a man blocking scheme with our OL....

As long as he doesn't start fumbling (which is possible), his carries will increase as the year goes along. He's faster and more powerful and will likely look better than Mack very early. At the end of the day, even if they slow play him, he'll still cut down on Mack's carries. And with the improved passing game, it's likely that Hines gets more touches too, further decreasing Mack's touches. In short, not close to running him into the ground.

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He's a ready now back. He's much more advanced than Mack was in terms of patience and knowing when to pick his hole. He's perfect for what we do most of the time (zone blocking), and would probably do even better in a man blocking scheme with our OL....

As long as he doesn't start fumbling (which is possible), his carries will increase as the year goes along. He's faster and more powerful and will likely look better than Mack very early. At the end of the day, even if they slow play him, he'll still cut down on Mack's carries. And with the improved passing game, it's likely that Hines gets more touches too, further decreasing Mack's touches. In short, not close to running him into the ground.

I think the Colts know that Mack will get hurt or miss a game or 2 in the upcoming season. If Taylor is as good as we all hope, he will probably take over the position. 

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think the Colts know that Mack will get hurt or miss a game or 2 in the upcoming season. If Taylor is as good as we all hope, he will probably take over the position. 

I think they simply use a committee. Keep both fresh, and simply pound the hell out of teams late in games. Not saying we won't throw a lot, our improved passing will make it easier on the running game. I expect to probably run a little less  (% wise) than last year perhaps, just improve our YPC by a good amount. I can see us being in that 5.0 or more range (we were 4.5 last year good for 11th). If one of them starts catching balls better than the other, that could tilt the snap share.

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think they simply use a committee. Keep both fresh, and simply pound the hell out of teams late in games. Not saying we won't throw a lot, our improved passing will make it easier on the running game. I expect to probably run a little less  (% wise) than last year perhaps, just improve our YPC by a good amount. I can see us being in that 5.0 or more range (we were 4.5 last year good for 11th). If one of them starts catching balls better than the other, that could tilt the snap share.

I def expect  an improved  playaction game

14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I am sure Taylor will get his snaps.  I am curious how they are going to use Hines. I could see Taylor going in whem it is 3 and 4 as he appear to b a good pass catcher

9 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I def expect  an improved  playaction game

Everything on O should be much improved IMO. TE might take a step back, but I don't think by much. Assuming not the same level of injury as last to WRs, having Pittman, TY, Campbell, Hines, Pascal, and Doyle catching is PLENTY of targets. Even if TY misses a lot, the rest still should be plenty. I expect either Fountain or Dulin to make some noise too. And if either RB (Mack or Taylor) can catch, Lord have mercy. Rivers might look 10 years younger. I would almost guarantee our O scheme alone cuts down on his INTs in a big way from last year. And he's going to love our OL. I really can't wait to see Hines, Campbell, and Pittman... 

giphy.gif

20 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I am sure Taylor will get his snaps.  I am curious how they are going to use Hines. I could see Taylor going in whem it is 3 and 4 as he appear to b a good pass catcher

Taylor doesn't have much pass catching experience from Wiscy. Last year was the first year he had any real yards, and it was 250ish. Not bad at all, as a lot of RBs in college don't have crazy catching stats (unless your a scat back or McCaffrey). We'll see how that translates up a level. 

Impact to Hines..... I think the improved passing game will allow Hines to play more downs in general, have more success running, and perhaps not be so limited to being a 3rd down back. Honestly I'd love to see some sweeps or screens to him on 1st or 2nd down every once and a while. We need a good mix.

Mack will be the starter. He had zero. Read that zero fumbles in 2019. He has also learned to pass protect. That will be very important for Rivers who isn't all that mobile.

Taylor will learn and become valuable. Hopefully, he will.also learn how not to fumble. In the NFL they stand you up for a while and rip at the ball. Mack has that all figured out. Taylor will have to figure it out.

I think they were going to draft a running back all along. It just so happened to be JT. The reason i say this is because we aquired a pro bowl fullback which nobody has mentioned. I think we will have a top 3 run game. Let's go Colts!

2 hours ago, WifiGuy said:

He is NOT the starter.  He is brought in to learn from Mack.    I am not a Mack supporter but I will say he is a legit pass pro protector and the rook needs to learn from him 

No, he will learn primarily from his coaches, not from Mack. Mack's job is to keep his roster spot, not run a school for rookie running backs. If Mack mentors him by helping him adjust to life in the NFL, great.  Just don't expect him to be out there coaching him up or reading him bedtime stories from the playbook. I also don't think the term "starter" has as much meaning as it used to. The depth chart may say one thing, but both of these guys should be prepared to take the first offensive snap of every game, barring injury. 

2 hours ago, WifiGuy said:

Not saying he will start or carry the load early in the season, but he is way more ready-now than Mack was out of college. And he get a lot of praise for his blocking. Fumblitis is the flag to worry about.

26 minutes ago, joeb said:

I think they were going to draft a running back all along. It just so happened to be JT. The reason i say this is because we aquired a pro bowl fullback which nobody has mentioned. I think we will have a top 3 run game. Let's go Colts!

Very true.  To me that was a big signal we were taking a RB early.  If we only keep four Wilkens is most likely the odd man out.  

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Not saying he will start or carry the load early in the season, but he is way more ready-now than Mack was out of college. And he get a lot of praise for his blocking. Fumblitis is the flag to worry about.

I think Tom Rathmans 24 years of experience should help with any fumble problems. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

I agree with you 100%. Taylor is a talent from college. It took Mack a few years to develop into what he is. And he is a top 10 RB in my opinion. I think Taylor is further along coming out of college than Mack was. But, he still has to learn how not to fumble in the NFL and how to pass protect. Mack has that figured out already.

7 minutes ago, TrueBlue12 said:

I agree with you 100%. Taylor is a talent from college. It took Mack a few years to develop into what he is. And he is a top 10 RB in my opinion. I think Taylor is further along coming out of college than Mack was. But, he still has to learn how not to fumble in the NFL and how to pass protect. Mack has that figured out already.

I'm not worried about his pass pro. Take a look at his film and you'll like what you see. Several highlights showing him totally take guys out. Several where they lose their legs altogether. 

Fumbling is the only thing I'm worried about.

I agree, but I also know some guys never get over slippery fingers. I think Taylor will be fine though.

Not to be harsh on college coaches but the pro coaches are the best in the business. Positional coaches don't get the credit they deserve but the players get very attached to them. 

Just now, EastStreet said:

I agree, but I also know some guys never get over slippery fingers. I think Taylor will be fine though.

I agree with you on that too. Taylor is a talent. No doubt. He might still have problems with pass protection and preventing costly fumbles in his rookie year though.

people need to seriously pump the breaks on this guy i loved the pick too but damn the guy hasn't even had 1 NFL practice and he was also ran into the ground at Wisconsin 

if he was anything like EE he sure as he'll wouldn't have been pick in the 2nd round and would have easily been the 1st RB taken in the draft 

I'm not worried about his pass pro. Take a look at his film and you'll like what you see. Several highlights showing him totally take guys out. Several where they lose their legs altogether. 

Fumbling is the only thing I'm worried about.

You may be absolutely right. Heck, I hope he can stand up pass rushers. Wisconsin was a run heavy offense led by Taylor. I don't know they had NFL caliber pass rushers to defend in pass protection.

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I think he'll run similar to EE, but a bit less power, and doubt he catches near as much (EE has averaged 400+ receiving a year). But yes, much closer to EE than DH.

Hey ES, i’m sure you have an opinion.

How do Taylor and Dobbins stacknagainst each other in your eyes?  I’m just curious as it seems more in media had Dobbins over Taylor.  Their stats are nearly identical.  Size too.

I'm pretty sure he will run very well for us right away. I think we will see more of him on first and second down then people think.  But I remember  Bill Polian  saying that most good running backs come into the league and they are ready to run at an NFL level. What ends up determining how much playing time they get ( putting health aside for a second) is weather or not they learn how to pass protect and slip open for a check down even if they are not great receivers.  How quickly he progresses, in this regard, I have no idea. But I have no doubt that he will be a beast with the ball right out of the gate. 

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I think Rathman will coach him on the fumbling problem. Wasn't most of his fumbles his 1st season in college anyway, I am not sure? 

Archived