Indianapolis Colts
Indeee

A Day Later

My position has not personally changed. I was not in favor of the Colts drafting a QB this year. I didn't care who the QB was, I just didn't want to happen what now faces this team. The following bolded is what I responded to @stitches yesterday when speaking of A FAIR SHOT to win the QB job in reference to Kelly.

If Eason was a 6th-7th round pick I would feel better, but he was a fourth meaning he will at least get a guaranteed couple of years or at least length of rook deal. So unless Colts dump JB as post June 1st cut, Kelly seems odd man out. If there is no NFL season this year though it would favor Kelly more as JBs contract is good through this year. If NFL cancels season,  JB would be FA next year and not resigned making it Rivers(they would resign him in no season scenario), Kelly, and Eason. Then I would be fine as Kelly would outplay Eason then. But no way they keep 4 QBs if season goes on as usual and I'm not sure I trust Colts dumping JB even if Kelly has great offseason or not. That was why I didn't want a QB drafted,  to eliminate this scenario the Colts now face

For me, this has always been about Kelly getting a fair shot to win the QB job. However I'm not sure that will be possible, as stated above. Forget what Ballard says as each person on here should know most 1st-4th round rookie QBs at least get a couple years, that's a given.

Taking Ballard at face though, Considering this is a potential truncated season, where does the improvement opportunity for Kelly come into play? And in the opposite scenario, does anyone on here rightfully believe that the Colts wouldn't also take into consideration the "Truncated season" when evaluating if Eason had a fair shot as well? One way or another, a decision will have to be made, but first I will say this.

I DON'T KNOW if Kelly would be good or bad. I think he could be, just like some of you think Eason could be. My grief again is where did Kelly get a REAL shot? On the Practice squad? In the film room?

Kelly's unfortunate ordeal here started with HIS OWN doing, that is true. The suspension, IMO cost him the back-up gig, as when the Colts knew he would not be available for the two games, coupled with not knowing what they had or did not have in Kelly, they signed Hoyer. And Hoyer's price tag ultimately took Kelly out of any possible chance of being the back-up last season short of Hoyer falling off a cliff. That is a fact. Should Kelly be crucified his REAL shot because of an immature act that got him suspended for 2 games? So where was the REAL shot in all of that? Let's fast forward to when JB stunk up the joint for the final 5-6 games, yet the Colts kept JB in. Why? We all know, it was so the Colts could've never been accused of not giving JB a full season REAL shot. If you think otherwise, you're lying to yourself. Hoyer was terrible, so he wasn't going to JUST replace JB without injury circumstance, yet because of the Colts underlying deal in JB having an entire season, barring injury, Kelly did not receive a REAL shot. Kelly could have had a real shot in the last two games at minimum, but nope. 

Now let's move onto this offseason. Forget that the Colts signed Kelly for a couple years. They signed Rivers. Ok, Rivers IS the starter. So, this means Kelly and JB battle for the back-up position. I'm GOOD with that as I know Kelly beats out JB easily. Enter the draft, and the Colts look like they won't be taking a QB and it's looking like that shot that I believe Kelly AT LEAST deserves, will come to pass if training camps ever open, but NOPE because in the 4th round Colts take Eason.

Again, I explained the scenario the Colts now face in my response bolded above to @stitches yesterday, and how it most likely will play out regardless of what Ballard stated yesterday. We all should be smart enough to realize that, except for a couple of drastic pipe dream scenarios, that Kelly in all tense and purpose will be the odd man out and I think it's GARBAGE.

There are Kelly fans on here and now there are Eason fans. Some of which liked Eason from the start, some that just wanted a fresh QB situation and are starting to come around on the NEW guy, and some who are like myself. It doesn't matter who you like or do not like, this is about getting a FAIR shot and I know full well that if the Colts cut Eason during Training Camp this year, whenever that might be, ALL of you Eason fans will be screaming the same thing that I have been for months and that is Eason didn't get a REAL shot.

So taking the popularity out of it, answer me this?

Where in all that has gone on in the timeline of Kelly being with the Colts do any of you think this kid got a REAL shot?

Answer: He hasn't and it's *.

We all deserve/deserved a chance to see if this kid could lead this team and if he couldn't, then so be it, but based on the Colts wasting a pick on Eason, it looks like we never will.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, CR91 said:

For God sakes :facepalm:

I really don't understand why Chad Kelly has such a following. 

Because he IS talented. In the small moments he showed more promise than most "project"/ camp arms normally do. That's why, IMO. 

• Like 3

I'm neither an Eason or a Kelly fan as it stands at the moment, but I can't understand why some people are so hung up on Kelly. What have you seen that makes you think he's worth a shot? He wasn't even that impressive at a college level from what I've read and seen and has played little serious reps pro wise to show otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Because he IS talented. In the small moments he showed more promise than most "project"/ camp arms normally do. That's why, IMO. 

Based on what? Some plays in the dirt moments against 3rd stringers

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, DoubleE Colt said:

I'm neither an Eason or a Kelly fan as it stands at the moment, but I can't understand why some people are so hung up on Kelly. What have you seen that makes you think he's worth a shot? He wasn't even that impressive at a college level from what I've read and seen and has played little serious reps pro wise to show otherwise.

Objectively and open minded watch his game moments from last preseason. Forget about the competition level and focus on his play. He flashed a lot in all phases of play

Haha at the OP.

Chad Kelly = barely qualified to clean toilets for the team.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Based on what? Some plays in the dirt moments against 3rd stringers

You have to be open minded and not just say oh he played well because it was against 3rd stringers. That is moot.  These are all pros and any QB, even Eason will have to play against 3rd stringers. Are you going to praise Eason if he lights up 3red stringers or better yet, give him a pass if he does not? It's all relative 

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

Objectively and open minded watch his game moments from last preseason. Forget about the competition level and focus on his play. He flashed a lot in all phases of play

Means nothing

31 brain trusts passed on him for how many weeks

• Confused 1

I’m in the camp that I hope Kelly gets a shot

But.... I’m not invested in any way,  

I have always thought that we needed someone new to compete at QB.

I think if both Kelly and Eason do REALLY well.....  you may see JB get an opportunity elsewhere 

But, if CK and Eason stink it up, we will have to get a QB next year

• Like 1

A 2020 season is far from certain.  Who knows what will happen.  If it rolls through to 2021, you might re-sign Rivers and Kelly and go with Rivers/Eason/Kelly.  Of course if there is no 2020 season and a draft lottery, you may have a shot at a high end QB in the draft.  Who knows.

3 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I’m in the camp that I hope Kelly gets a shot

But.... I’m not invested in any way,  

I have always thought that we needed someone new to compete at QB.

I think if both Kelly and Eason do REALLY well.....  you may see JB get an opportunity elsewhere 

But I get your point on Eason

He has a long shot to hold the clipboard and make sure the tablet is set up for PR and possibly Eason in the future

9 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Means nothing

31 brain trusts passed on him for how many weeks

Who cares? 32 teams for 4 rounds passed on Eason. What's your point? Kelly is a COLT. Any other team should not even matter, nor should their opinion of the player

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Indeee said:

You have to be open minded and not just say oh he played well because it was against 3rd stringers. That is moot.  These are all pros and any QB, even Eason will have to play against 3rd stringers. Are you going to praise Eason if he lights up 3red stringers or better yet, give him a pass if he does not? It's all relative 

I don't know what we have in Eason. What I do know is Kelly is a preseason QB and nothing better. You thinking he's a franchise QB because he made a few schoolyard throws is absurd.

• Sad 2

Eason is only 22 yrs old, he's learning from a future hall of fame QB, will gain valuable experience along the way, hone in his skills ready for either 2021 or 2022.  Colts QB of the future...Go Colts!!!

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

Who cares? 32 teams for 4 rounds passed on Eason. What's your point? Kelly is a COLT. Any other team should not even matter, nor should their opinion of the player

It does when he plays a position that everyone wants and was “made” available on the PS for multiple weeks plus the waiver wire

Players drop all the time in the draft; talented guys rarely survive PS time

This is why teams often carry some players in their active rosters but never dress them

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Indeee said:

We all deserve/deserved a chance to see if this kid could lead this team and if he couldn't, then so be it, but based on the Colts wasting a pick on Eason, it looks like we never will.

Dang, and I thought I liked Kelly. I felt like I seen enough good from Kelly to give him the shot at leading the team this year, or at the very least, the opportunity to try. You win the dedicated fanship though I believe. What I would say is for Kelly to make sure he has buckled down all offseason and make sure he knows that playbook so that come time to play in TC or PS, if we have either, he will stand out to everyone. I don’t mind true competition and may the best of the best stay. I could still see JB cut and them rolling with Rivers, Kelly and Eason. Of course one or both could absolutely look like poo at the same time and then we are all going crap, now what. Lol 

17 minutes ago, CR91 said:

For God sakes :facepalm:

I really don't understand why Chad Kelly has such a following. 

Some of us Kelly fans see talent. Others see a past of the kid screwing up and not letting his current part of life dictate how you view him. I’ll be fine with whatever happens during the competition of who to keep. 

• Like 4

On 4/26/2020 at 2:47 PM, Indeee said:

My position has not personally changed. I was not in favor of the Colts drafting a QB this year. I didn't care who the QB was, I just didn't want to happen what now faces this team. The following bolded is what I responded to @stitches yesterday when speaking of A FAIR SHOT to win the QB job in reference to Kelly.

If Eason was a 6th-7th round pick I would feel better, but he was a fourth meaning he will at least get a guaranteed couple of years or at least length of rook deal. So unless Colts dump JB as post June 1st cut, Kelly seems odd man out. If there is no NFL season this year though it would favor Kelly more as JBs contract is good through this year. If NFL cancels season,  JB would be FA next year and not resigned making it Rivers(they would resign him in no season scenario), Kelly, and Eason. Then I would be fine as Kelly would outplay Eason then. But no way they keep 4 QBs if season goes on as usual and I'm not sure I trust Colts dumping JB even if Kelly has great offseason or not. That was why I didn't want a QB drafted,  to eliminate this scenario the Colts now face

For me, this has always been about Kelly getting a fair shot to win the QB job. However I'm not sure that will be possible, as stated above. Forget what Ballard says as each person on here should know most 1st-4th round rookie QBs at least get a couple years, that's a given.

Taking Ballard at face though, Considering this is a potential truncated season, where does the improvement opportunity for Kelly come into play? And in the opposite scenario, does anyone on here rightfully believe that the Colts wouldn't also take into consideration the "Truncated season" when evaluating if Eason had a fair shot as well? One way or another, a decision will have to be made, but first I will say this.

I DON'T KNOW if Kelly would be good or bad. I think he could be, just like some of you think Eason could be. My grief again is where did Kelly get a REAL shot? On the Practice squad? In the film room?

Kelly's unfortunate ordeal here started with HIS OWN doing, that is true. The suspension, IMO cost him the back-up gig, as when the Colts knew he would not be available for the two games, coupled with not knowing what they had or did not have in Kelly, they signed Hoyer. And Hoyer's price tag ultimately took Kelly out of any possible chance of being the back-up last season short of Hoyer falling off a cliff. That is a fact. Should Kelly be crucified his REAL shot because of an immature act that got him suspended for 2 games? So where was the REAL shot in all of that? Let's fast forward to when JB stunk up the joint for the final 5-6 games, yet the Colts kept JB in. Why? We all know, it was so the Colts could've never been accused of not giving JB a full season REAL shot. If you think otherwise, you're lying to yourself. Hoyer was terrible, so he wasn't going to JUST replace JB without injury circumstance, yet because of the Colts underlying deal in JB having an entire season, barring injury, Kelly did not receive a REAL shot. Kelly could have had a real shot in the last two games at minimum, but nope. 

Now let's move onto this offseason. Forget that the Colts signed Kelly for a couple years. They signed Rivers. Ok, Rivers IS the starter. So, this means Kelly and JB battle for the back-up position. I'm GOOD with that as I know Kelly beats out JB easily. Enter the draft, and the Colts look like they won't be taking a QB and it's looking like that shot that I believe Kelly AT LEAST deserves, will come to pass if training camps ever open, but NOPE because in the 4th round Colts take Eason.

Again, I explained the scenario the Colts now face in my response bolded above to @stitches yesterday, and how it most likely will play out regardless of what Ballard stated yesterday. We all should be smart enough to realize that, except for a couple of drastic pipe dream scenarios, that Kelly in all tense and purpose will be the odd man out and I think it's GARBAGE.

There are Kelly fans on here and now there are Eason fans. Some of which liked Eason from the start, some that just wanted a fresh QB situation and are starting to come around on the NEW guy, and some who are like myself. It doesn't matter who you like or do not like, this is about getting a FAIR shot and I know full well that if the Colts cut Eason during Training Camp this year, whenever that might be, ALL of you Eason fans will be screaming the same thing that I have been for months and that is Eason didn't get a REAL shot.

Where in all that has gone on in the timeline of Kelly being with the Colts do any of you think this kid got a REAL shot?

:puhleeze:

im not a fan of either Kelly or Eason. Nor do I want JB to be on this roster. That said, Kelly has had more than enough time to show the coaches something, anything, to get a chance at starting and thus far, it appears he’s not measured up. You’re basing your entire opinion of his talent level based on 15 minutes in a 4tj quarter of the 3rd preseason game, playing against guys who were mostly cut and out of the league just hours later. 

• Like 1

He's a gonner. Move on.

17 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It does when he plays a position that everyone wants and was “made” available on the PS for multiple weeks plus the waiver wire

Players drop all the time in the draft; talented guys rarely survive PS time

This is why teams often carry some players in their active rosters but never dress them

And yet, the Colts found it necessary to keep him off the PS at some point, for some reason.

And then there's always the old counter arguments of Rogers, Brady, Unitas, etc, etc, etc.

I'm not a Kelly home boy, but I don't think he should be discounted either. Right now it's just a competition, and it'll be interesting to see how this turns out. 

• Like 2

OK Jim. Sorry about those 4 Super Bowls and hope you are in good health.

• Haha 1

After reading you book up top Indee I get you are quit frustrated. I also like Kelly and would like to see him get a chance and if he really is good I have enough faith in the Colt organization that they have seen it and will give him a chance.

My feeling is this:

1. Eason was just too good to pass on in the 4th round

2. The Colts would jettison JB if they had a chance

3. If they can't find a taker for JB they may cut him after June 1

Winston got a new job with the Saints after the draft so we will see if there is movement in the QB market now. As I stated above, if he has shown the organization through his actions, work ethic and talent that he deserves an opportunity they will give him that chance.

• Like 2

:violin:

I think you(and some others) are way too invested in Kelly and don't see the picture clearly with him. (more on this below)

Kelly has been in the league for 3 years. After next year he would have had 4 years in the league and entering his 5th year. With ZERO starts! While playing behind QBs like Jacoby Brisset, Brian Hoyer, Brock Osweiler, Case Keenum, Paxton Lynch, Trevor Semien, Kevin Hogan... He has been on teams with at best mediocre quarterbacking and he will be behind 38 year old Rivers next year if he keeps his spot on the roster(for the record I think I prefer we keep him than Brissett if possible(if we get an offer for JB)). For the life of me I cannot figure out where the idea comes from that he's not getting a fair shot. He was drafted as a 7th round pick, he has had off-field issues, he has been on teams with bad QBs and never started on any of them. Why would you want the Colts to clear the lane for him? This would be incredibly irresponsible from Ballard and the front office.

Tell me the last late round pick in the NFL who was on a roster for 4 years without any starts and then suddenly became a franchise QB in his 5th year? Tell me one of those. I don't need more. A SINGLE ONE would do. And why do you think it's a good idea for the Colts to make that experiment? I realize this would be good for Kelly. Tell me why this would be good idea for the Colts? Why should the Colts be making ANY decision about the future starting spot at the QB position with Chad Kelly in mind? This is where it looks to me that you have unhealthy fixation with Kelly. (unless you are a relative or a friend of his). Ballard has been hired to make the best decisions for the Colts, not for any specific player and definitely not for a 7th round cast off with laundry list of off-field issues. To me it sounds like you are more interested in Kelly's success than in Colts' success.

Of course Ballard should be getting a QB for the team from the draft. The Colts right now are a team without a clear long-term solution at the most important position in football. Until we have such a player, we should keep trying to acquire one and the draft is the best place to do it. If not taking a QB high as the presumptive successor at the position, then taking shots at players with high end traits and high end pedigree like Eason is precisely what Ballard should be doing.

Chad Kelly has spend numerous hours on practice fields, in film rooms, weight rooms, pre-season games etc. with the Colts coaches and trainers. Why do you think he's not being evaluated in those meetings and those practices and pre-season programs? Why do you think he has not gotten a real shot? Maybe he has... and he's just not good enough.  Is that even possible according to you? That the coaching staff has seen enough to not put their chips on him and to continue seeking their long-term franchise QB elsewhere? 

Kelly's unfortunate ordeal here started with HIS OWN doing, that is true. The suspension, IMO cost him the back-up gig, as when the Colts knew he would not be available for the two games, coupled with not knowing what they had or did not have in Kelly, they signed Hoyer. And Hoyer's price tag ultimately took Kelly out of any possible chance of being the back-up last season short of Hoyer falling off a cliff. That is a fact. Should Kelly be crucified his REAL shot because of an immature act that got him suspended for 2 games? So where was the REAL shot in all of that? Let's fast forward to when JB stunk up the joint for the final 5-6 games, yet the Colts kept JB in. Why?

Because they thought JB was a better QB than Chad Kelly? Is this possible? Is it possible the coaches have seen enough of both of them to think JB was giving us better chance to win games?

We all know, it was so the Colts could've never been accused of not giving JB a full season REAL shot. If you think otherwise, you're lying to yourself. Hoyer was terrible, so he wasn't going to JUST replace JB without injury circumstance, yet because of the Colts underlying deal in JB having an entire season, barring injury, Kelly did not receive a REAL shot. Kelly could have had a real shot in the last two games at minimum, but nope. 

I agree on the last part. I thought we could have given Kelly the last 2 games, but again - it looked like the Colts were still trying to win(at least the coaches)... and if they were... is it possible that the coaches thought JB was giving them better chance to win than CK? 

I've covered this above already - Eason or QBs like him are precisely the shots Ballard should be taking until he finds the next franchise QB for the Colts. Because right now we don't have one. 

Chad Kelly has gotten his real shots throughout his career. One might say he's gotten more than his fair number of chances for the number of transgressions he's had. He has had the chance to impress different teams for 3 years going on 4 now. I'm sorry, I'm just not that bothered by Chad Kelly not being treated like some player picked in the 1st round that gets a chance automatically no matter what he does. Hell even players at different positions with much better performance in the league so far don't have this type of treatment. Marlon Mack has played great for us but doesn't have the luxury of just being given the spot regardless of what he's showing in practice or film room. He had to fight it out of Gore's hands and now he will have to do it again with Taylor. Similar situations happen all over the roster. Competition everywhere. Everybody competes for snaps and for starting slots. Every year we get new players in the draft or in FA that challenge the starters and we've had a bit of a turnover over the last several years and IMO this has improved the team. And you want Chad Kelly of all people to be the exception here? Really? You don't want us to draft QBs high, so Chad Kelly will just slide in as the starter after Rivers is gone? Come on... you cannot be serious. Tell me how this is a good idea for the Colts? (I know how it is good for Chad Kelly)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

44 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Yes, he played well. But stating that Ballard and Reich didn't give him a fair shot is not true. Nobody else wanted him. He cleared waivers and made it to the PS. If he was that good, that wouldn't have happened. He could be a back-up, but even then, who knows.

i like the dude, but he hasn't shown anything that grants him to be the QB of the future. I trust Ballard more than any of us. He obviously knows whether Kelley has it or not over one of us. 

I like Kelly too, I think Ballard just can't make peace with him...I hope he gets a fair shot as he's the best play maker at the position we have but his past simply haunts him.  Ultimately as a Colts fan, I think we can be excited that we have four guys who can play the position,  let's see how it plays out, the cupboard isn't bare and that's really good news!

My only issue is that if they cut Kelly and Eason becomes our QB3, then how do we know if you were right or if Eason just genuinely won the spot. So this hardly matters anymore. I would just get used to the fact that we may be without Kelly be the start of the year. For what it's worth, I agree to degree. I do think it's more Eason's job to lose than Chad's to win. Ballard is typically a really honest guy it has seemed, but this was a statement he made that I call a wee bit of bull on. I feel like it's just one of the political statements that's meant more to push Eason than to comfort Kelly. Either way, big whoop. I hope they both kill it and give us a really tough choice to make. But yeah, I imagine Eason will be the guy.

I guess I fall somewhere in the middle of all this.

Could they and should they have given Kelly a regular season look-see the last week or two of the season? Sure....why not?

But they didn't.... so let's not mince words..... it's clear Reich was NEVER going to trust Kelly as our long-term answer at QB. 

And now, Kelly's only chance to even start a single game is for Eason to stink so horrendously that he doesn't even make the team.... AND.... for Rivers and JB to both get maimed.

Can we move on now? :sleepy:

• Like 1

Chad Kelly doesn’t even like Chad Kelly as much as the OP does.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

31 minutes ago, buccolts said:

And yet, the Colts found it necessary to keep him off the PS at some point, for some reason.

And then there's always the old counter arguments of Rogers, Brady, Unitas, etc, etc, etc.

I'm not a Kelly home boy, but I don't think he should be discounted either. Right now it's just a competition, and it'll be interesting to see how this turns out. 

Just for fun, care to lay a wager on how that competition turns out? I’d be more than happy to take Eason and give you Kelly with almost any odds you’d care to suggest,but I suspect no one will take that bet. 

28 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Aaron Rodgers was a 1st Round QB 

255 picks in the NFL draft and Kelly wasn't one of them. He goes to Denver and gets cut, no team picks him up. The Colts try him out and sign him, he looked ok during mop ups. Colts cut him, once again 31 others teams pass.

I think the OP is overrating him..

Has their been a player in Indy Colt's history that has garnered the kind of blind praise that Kelly gets from the OP???  Regardless, it kind of seems like Kelly may have been brought in as a favor from Reich to Jim Kelly.  The kid has talent but Frank clearly didn't think he was ready yet. 

Either he didn't want to throw him out there and have Kelly fail miserably and then Chad's probably out of the league for good.  Or Frank knows he's not ready and if he basically "gives" Kelly the job like you want him to, since you say it's a guarantee he's gonna win "any QB competition", then Frank could lose the locker room and the respect of his players once Kelly fails. 

Maybe Frank doesn't want to be that attached to the hip with Kelly?  There's more to playing QB than just being able to spin it.  Gotta be a leader of other men.  If Kelly is smart, he'll know that playbook in and out.  Showing Frank & CB that he's matured enough to be QB 2.  Then CB can have enough trust in the QB room to move JB.

And you know what, in that scenario, Eason can come in the following season improved so much with his howitzer arm and 5* pedigree and leapfrog him and be the new QB1 and Kelly would be stuck at QB 2 again (maybe fairly or unfairly). 

And maybe that's what Frank is ultimately trying to get Kelly to understand.  Like him in his career, he may never truly get "his shot".  But if he's smart, humble, and works hard he could be a backup QB in the league for a decade and bank 20+ million and still have a great football career. 

Because the truth is he's closer to being out of the league then he is to being a starter.  And if the OP is kin to Kelly, then I understand his desire for him to get a chance...  Tell him he better be doing all the little things to up his value and to stick around.

• Like 1

@stitches in response to part stating Reich wanted to win games and he left JB in as best chance to win. You cant be serious? If you honestly think that you have lost all credibility with me entirely. They left JB in for the entire season as the reason I gave being so no one could cause them of not giving him the real shot full season especially after they hyped him for 2 years and anybody who has any ounce of common sense knows this. Its why they keep propping this guy up even after signing Rivers and drafting Eason. For some reason they know this guy is fragile, or don't want a player revolt because of his lockeroom presence, or like him in general or whatever but it clearly isn't about him being a good QB now and most certainly was not about winning games then. The rest is what it is, but do I think getting a fair shot means only practice and film room, absolutely not. Playing experience is the number one equalizer. Without REAL game time experience you wont know and Kelly shouldve been able to play last couple games when the season was meaningless. Games are different then practice and film study. Not discounting those 2, but playing time trumps all

52 minutes ago, csmopar said:

:puhleeze:

im not a fan of either Kelly or Eason. Nor do I want JB to be on this roster. That said, Kelly has had more than enough time to show the coaches something, anything, to get a chance at starting and thus far, it appears he’s not measured up. You’re basing your entire opinion of his talent level based on 15 minutes in a 4tj quarter of the 3rd preseason game, playing against guys who were mostly cut and out of the league just hours later. 

To be somewhat fair Kelly has a past in terms of his behavior that warrants a team slow playing and being hesitant about allowing him to be the starter or the primary backup for that matter. He could be totally living up to and measuring up to what we think he is on the field behind the scenes. Youve got to be cautious about handing the leadership of the team to a guy who is one significant mistake away from being out of the league.  I think the Colts are correct in how theyve handled him so far. Im not totally certain that he hasnt lived up to xyz performance wise. The fact thst hes being kept around and allowed to compete says hes doing something right somewhere. We'll see what happens in the preseason.