Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Packers draft

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

While not impossible, it would’ve been very hard and very expensive to trade up to get Love AND take Pittman at 34.

Because we likely would have used pick 34 in a package to trade up for Love.   So we could do one or the other — but not both.   

With the way receivers went after Higgins and Pittman, we might have still gotten Pittman at 44.  Claypool  & Mims were still available too.  But we would have missed out on Taylor, who I think is gonna help us win NOW.  And I'm just throwing things out there.  But I honestly wouldn't have hated moving up for Love at then end of the 1st but is there that big of a gap between him and Eason in the 4th??  Value wise probably Eason is the better value unless Love becomes the next great Packers QB. 

We and the Packers have a recent history of following legendary QB's with a top flight replacement.  I hope they didn't out-maneuver us and it's gonna be Favre to Rodgers to Love when it could have been Manning to Luck to Love.  Hopefully Eason realizes his potential.  The id sure can spin it like Favre, Rodgers, and Luck.

23 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

It could be.  I just think Jordan Love's best fits were gonna be places where he could go sit and learn for a year or 2.  We and GB both fit the bill.  Saints as well.  But I think CB stayed calm and played it perfectly though.  Getting Pittman, Taylor, and Eason was a nice haul.  Got needs and guys who will contribute this season and still got a potential future QB...  Couldn't have worked out much better unless Love fell to 34. 

Only way it would have worked out  better is if the packers picked eason  and love fell to the 4th lol 

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

People keep saying that the Colts had no interest in Love.  I think if he was there at 34 we were gonna take him.  And if you go back and watch draft night, Pete Carroll looked kinda disheartened when it was there turn to pick.  I believe that we very well were gonna trade up with them for Love.  Regardless, we definitely would have pulled the trigger at 34.  No hesitation. But we wold have missed out on Taylor and the value of getting Eason in the 4th.  The Packers probably did us a serious favor because our draft turned out pretty well with them taking Love off the board.

Well if we were we get to pay the packers back this year as we play them and they can't  stop the run.

54 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

That very well cold explain the look.  But would Ballard come out and say yes we wanted to move up into the end of the 1st for Love but Packers beat us to it?  Not being a smart alleck.  Just wondering what your opinion or is it better to just say we never were interested because with him gone it was a lost cause anyway?

Well...  over time Ballard has talked about his trading up and down.

For example, he was asked about his 5th round pick, Pinter, the guard from Ball State.   He volunteered that he spent 30 minutes trying to move up to draft him.   For a GM, Ballard is pretty forthcoming.  

50 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

With the way receivers went after Higgins and Pittman, we might have still gotten Pittman at 44.  Claypool  & Mims were still available too.  But we would have missed out on Taylor, who I think is gonna help us win NOW.  And I'm just throwing things out there.  But I honestly wouldn't have hated moving up for Love at then end of the 1st but is there that big of a gap between him and Eason in the 4th??  Value wise probably Eason is the better value unless Love becomes the next great Packers QB. 

We and the Packers have a recent history of following legendary QB's with a top flight replacement.  I hope they didn't out-maneuver us and it's gonna be Favre to Rodgers to Love when it could have been Manning to Luck to Love.  Hopefully Eason realizes his potential.  The id sure can spin it like Favre, Rodgers, and Luck.

Hearing the colts scout talk about Eason and junior QB I will bet Ballard had the same grade on Love that he had on Eason. I agree I don’t think there is a big gap. They just have different play styles. Packers overdrafted Love seeing how how the draft played out. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well...  over time Ballard has talked about his trading up and down.

For example, he was asked about his 5th round pick, Pinter, the guard from Ball State.   He volunteered that he spent 30 minutes trying to move up to draft him.   For a GM, Ballard is pretty forthcoming.  

That's with a guy we picked.  Has he ever said he wanted a guy and someone else took him?  I don't think he would because then you make the guys you did take feel like they were your 2nd choices...  Ballard is the real deal at GM.  Once GB took him it was dead and done.  No need to speak on would of's and could of's and should of's...  He's all in with the guys he took as he should be...  We get to play these arm chair games.  

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

There is a difference between training and being a mentor. 

I don't expect Rivers to train Eason but IMO his personality he will be a mentor. Rivers has always set an example of being a leader. 

I got what you re saying. Training was a bad way of putting it. I have always been curious if we had kept Manning, drafted.Luck, if he would have accepted that role of being mentor. 

1 hour ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

I got what you re saying. Training was a bad way of putting it. I have always been curious if we had kept Manning, drafted.Luck, if he would have accepted that role of being mentor. 

Hard to say because Manning knew Luck from the Manning's Passing Academy. 

1 hour ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Not sure we'd have been able to make that work, we were in cap hell around the time Luck arrived and had to let go a lot of players that had been core players with Manning.

5 hours ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

I wonder if Peyton would have had TY watching tape of Marv?

The Packers should have drafted Patrick Queen. If not him at least a WR like Tee Higgins. Jordan Love won’t see the field for years. This was by far the worst draft of any team. The Vikings draft was great and the Lions will be desperate to make the playoffs with coaches job on the line. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if the Packers missed the playoffs next year. 

10 hours ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

The Packers should have drafted Patrick Queen. If not him at least a WR like Tee Higgins. Jordan Love won’t see the field for years. This was by far the worst draft of any team. The Vikings draft was great and the Lions will be desperate to make the playoffs with coaches job on the line. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if the Packers missed the playoffs next year. 

From the negative issues I have been reading about between Rogers and the FO of the Packers I wouldn't be surprised to see Rogers moved at the end of this season. 

Even with the trade up to get Love they still needed a couple of offensive skill players for whomever the QB is. 

Archived