Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
Rally5

Colts sign UDFA Rodrigo Blankenship UGA (Merge)

Recommended Posts

This could be our kicker of the future.  Smart UDFA signing, if it counts, I thought we would draft him...I was almost right about something!  :)  Really solid effort by the front office this year, hope it works out to its full potential! -Go Colts

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YES!!!

 

 Full disclosure:  I guess I’m partial because I’ve become a Georgia Bulldogs pseudo fan (my brother went to Georgia). 
 

  But this kid is pretty reliable. I guess this could signal the end for AV, but maybe it just means there’s going to be competition at the K spot.

   If he does win the job, there’s got to be a good nickname for Roberto & Rodrigo duo.

 

   Thoughts??

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hilarious a kicker is getting more praise then our new QB haha

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Chase, he's reliable on the PAT. But could work on the long ball, but he's young, he'll get better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like the signing. Has made big clutch kicks in his career. 
 

Also have stuck in mind the fg miss vs S Carolina this year in OT that cost UGA the game. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like that pick up, I always mocked him as our last pick, I think competition in camp for kickers and punters is important. 

 

Like Pat McAfee talked about he didn’t try to learn how to do directional punts till they brought in someone who could for competition and it made him evolve his game as a punter 
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bravo4460 said:

Dude was a good kicker. His goggles made him a legend.

The last guy we had that wore goggles, was too bad...


 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know how talented he is but if this face isn’t how the rest of the league views kickers I don’t know what it.

D5D4BB42-E8F6-495C-98A2-91754ACAA0E8.jpeg

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rally5 said:

This could be our kicker of the future.  Smart UDFA signing, if it counts, I thought we would draft him...I was almost right about something!  :)  Really solid effort by the front office this year, hope it works out to its full potential! -Go Colts

Ballard said  they may bring  back vinatieri 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

I know how talented he is but if this face isn’t how the rest of the league views kickers I don’t know what it.

D5D4BB42-E8F6-495C-98A2-91754ACAA0E8.jpeg

 

I'm pretty sure this guy was in the movie The Comebacks. :)

ZCUDkMe.png

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vinny ain't coming back guys....only for colts conventions and motivational speeches. Otherwise, he has kicked his last NFL kick.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both this thread and the UDFA thread seem to be most excited about Blankenship from the UDFAs. I don't want to pour cold water on that excitement but it's very possible Blankenship is not better than Chase. He got somewhat of a cult following during Georgia's playoff runs and he seems like a very likeable character overall, but he actually has missed multiple very important kicks which worries me(game winners, crunch time kicks, etc). His last year wasn't his best either. That's not to say he doesn't have talent - he obviously does as he's the current holder of the Lou Groza award for best place kicker in the nation. It will probably be a real competition for the starting spot this year. He has a chance to win it, but IMO he's not close to a no brainer winner of that competition. 

 

I'd love to see what % of the money designated for UDFAs he got. I saw the Canadian OT got a huge bonus, I wonder if Blankenship did get similar one. Usually the Colts telegraph their intentions and just how much they like a player by the bonus they give them as UDFA. For example, Rigoberto got the most money in his UDFA class and noone knew who he is and then he beat Jeff Locke, who was a vet and we got the same year to compete in camp. Last year, similarly, Hale Hentges got the most money from the UDFA class and made the roster initially. It's going to be an interesting battle to follow for sure.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stitches said:

Both this thread and the UDFA thread seem to be most excited about Blankenship from the UDFAs. I don't want to pour cold water on that excitement but it's very possible Blankenship is not better than Chase. He got somewhat of a cult following during Georgia's playoff runs and he seems like a very likeable character overall, but he actually has missed multiple very important kicks which worries me(game winners, crunch time kicks, etc). His last year wasn't his best either. That's not to say he doesn't have talent - he obviously does as he's the current holder of the Lou Groza award for best place kicker in the nation. It will probably be a real competition for the starting spot this year. He has a chance to win it, but IMO he's not close to a no brainer winner of that competition. 

 

I'd love to see what % of the money designated for UDFAs he got. I saw the Canadian OT got a huge bonus, I wonder if Blankenship did get similar one. Usually the Colts telegraph their intentions and just how much they like a player by the bonus they give them as UDFA. For example, Rigoberto got the most money in his UDFA class and noone knew who he is and then he beat Jeff Locke, who was a vet and we got the same year to compete in camp. Last year, similarly, Hale Hentges got the most money from the UDFA class and made the roster initially. It's going to be an interesting battle to follow for sure.

Of course it's possible and yes, there will be a competition, that doesn't require explanation.  The good news is we have two good kickers in camp, a position that cost us meaningful wins last year and should prove to be an upgrade.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He could easily win the job. Good pick up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Good pick up

 

 

love that song/album

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

love that song/album

It was one of my favs back in the day. Cumbersome is still one of my fav "turn it up loud" songs.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe I called this last season.  His first year as a starter was rough for the Dawgs, but then Kevin Butler came in as a student assistant & mentored Hot Rod and made one hell of a difference the following year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stitches said:

 

Like the confidence.  Hopefully he shows us his best.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...