Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign UDFA Rodrigo Blankenship UGA (Merge)

This could be our kicker of the future.  Smart UDFA signing, if it counts, I thought we would draft him...I was almost right about something!  :)  Really solid effort by the front office this year, hope it works out to its full potential! -Go Colts

• Like 1

YES!!!

Full disclosure:  I guess I’m partial because I’ve become a Georgia Bulldogs pseudo fan (my brother went to Georgia). 

But this kid is pretty reliable. I guess this could signal the end for AV, but maybe it just means there’s going to be competition at the K spot.

If he does win the job, there’s got to be a good nickname for Roberto & Rodrigo duo.

Thoughts??

• Like 1

I really like that pick up, I always mocked him as our last pick, I think competition in camp for kickers and punters is important. 

Like Pat McAfee talked about he didn’t try to learn how to do directional punts till they brought in someone who could for competition and it made him evolve his game as a punter 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Rally5 said:

This could be our kicker of the future.  Smart UDFA signing, if it counts, I thought we would draft him...I was almost right about something!  :)  Really solid effort by the front office this year, hope it works out to its full potential! -Go Colts

Ballard said  they may bring  back vinatieri 

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

I know how talented he is but if this face isn’t how the rest of the league views kickers I don’t know what it.

D5D4BB42-E8F6-495C-98A2-91754ACAA0E8.jpeg

I'm pretty sure this guy was in the movie The Comebacks. :)

ZCUDkMe.png

• Haha 1

Both this thread and the UDFA thread seem to be most excited about Blankenship from the UDFAs. I don't want to pour cold water on that excitement but it's very possible Blankenship is not better than Chase. He got somewhat of a cult following during Georgia's playoff runs and he seems like a very likeable character overall, but he actually has missed multiple very important kicks which worries me(game winners, crunch time kicks, etc). His last year wasn't his best either. That's not to say he doesn't have talent - he obviously does as he's the current holder of the Lou Groza award for best place kicker in the nation. It will probably be a real competition for the starting spot this year. He has a chance to win it, but IMO he's not close to a no brainer winner of that competition. 

I'd love to see what % of the money designated for UDFAs he got. I saw the Canadian OT got a huge bonus, I wonder if Blankenship did get similar one. Usually the Colts telegraph their intentions and just how much they like a player by the bonus they give them as UDFA. For example, Rigoberto got the most money in his UDFA class and noone knew who he is and then he beat Jeff Locke, who was a vet and we got the same year to compete in camp. Last year, similarly, Hale Hentges got the most money from the UDFA class and made the roster initially. It's going to be an interesting battle to follow for sure.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, stitches said:

Both this thread and the UDFA thread seem to be most excited about Blankenship from the UDFAs. I don't want to pour cold water on that excitement but it's very possible Blankenship is not better than Chase. He got somewhat of a cult following during Georgia's playoff runs and he seems like a very likeable character overall, but he actually has missed multiple very important kicks which worries me(game winners, crunch time kicks, etc). His last year wasn't his best either. That's not to say he doesn't have talent - he obviously does as he's the current holder of the Lou Groza award for best place kicker in the nation. It will probably be a real competition for the starting spot this year. He has a chance to win it, but IMO he's not close to a no brainer winner of that competition. 

I'd love to see what % of the money designated for UDFAs he got. I saw the Canadian OT got a huge bonus, I wonder if Blankenship did get similar one. Usually the Colts telegraph their intentions and just how much they like a player by the bonus they give them as UDFA. For example, Rigoberto got the most money in his UDFA class and noone knew who he is and then he beat Jeff Locke, who was a vet and we got the same year to compete in camp. Last year, similarly, Hale Hentges got the most money from the UDFA class and made the roster initially. It's going to be an interesting battle to follow for sure.

Of course it's possible and yes, there will be a competition, that doesn't require explanation.  The good news is we have two good kickers in camp, a position that cost us meaningful wins last year and should prove to be an upgrade.

• Like 1

I believe I called this last season.  His first year as a starter was rough for the Dawgs, but then Kevin Butler came in as a student assistant & mentored Hot Rod and made one hell of a difference the following year.