Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2020 Colts Draft: What's your grade?

EastStreet

2020: What is your draft grade?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. What is your grade of the Colts draft

2. 2. To you, what is the biggest head scratcher pick of the draft?

• 2/34 WR Pittman
    • 2/41 RB Taylor
    • 3/85 S Blackmon
    • 4/122 QB Eason
    • 5/149 OG/C Pinter
    • 6/193 DT Windsor
    • 6/211 CB Rodgers
    • 6/212 WR Patmon
    • 6/213 LB Glasgow
  3. 3. Who is your favorite pick of the draft?

• 2/34 WR Pittman
    • 2/41 RB Taylor
    • 3/85 S Blackmon
    • 4/122 QB Eason
    • 5/149 OG/C Pinter
    • 6/193 DT Windsor
    • 6/211 CB Rodgers
    • 6/212 WR Patmon
    • 6/213 LB Glasgow

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/2020 at 03:27 AM

9 minutes ago, twfish said:

I went with an A just because there where a couple guys i wanted instead, but I will say this is by far my favorite draft i have witnessed to date. I am so much more pumped for this season now

Who are your favorite 4 picks/players we drafted?

OK, the more I read about Blackmon, the more I'm warming up. 

Guessing this is bad news for Geathers being resigned (has he ended up in the news at all). 

I like that he came from Utah who had a good backfield for the PAC, and also like his speed (4.46 if accurate). A little concerned with the late/December injury, and weight. I still think he could have been had a bit later, but warming up. 

Anyway, should be good comp for Willis. I think Blackmon could end up more well rounded than Willis, and be the primary SS, limiting Willis to box play. That won't happen early though.

13 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Gave the draft a B. Only pick I dislike is Blackmon. However, taking Blackmon and Eason in the third and fourth with little contributions in year 1 makes me drop the grade to a B. If you count Buckner, it's an A-.

I'm liking Blackmon a bit more now that I've read up, and watched some film. Not sure yet how I feel about Eason to be honest. 

I gave a C+/B- as I thought we really needed TE and OT. I think we could have gotten more impact from the middle rounds for 2020. Not a fan at all of late round picks Windsor (DT) or Glasgow (LB). The rest I'm Ok with for the most part. 

I gave it a preliminary B. I'll be going through a watch of each player and giving my grades, probably over the next month or so. 

Favorite pick is Pittman. He makes a ton of sense, he'll have a chance to contribute right away, and he has a ton of upside.

Biggest head scratcher is Blackmon. I see why they liked him, but most of what they've done so far this offseason has shown an effort to get guys who don't have major injury concerns. Blackmon just tore his ACL and quite possibly won't play this season. 

I would have gone with Taylor because of the trade up, but it's not really a head scratcher, just a difference in philosophy. But not only is he a stud, they explained why they traded up, and they still wound up with nine total picks. And I think some of my "why trade up for a RB" is influenced by my preconceptions of what they'd do in the second round. Overall, using a mid second rounder on a back isn't something I have a problem with. 

I have it as a B as some were great picks and others, we will see how they do. 

My favorite pick is Taylor, I think we got great value there. While it wasn’t a a position of need it allows us not to have to pay Mack a ton of money if he has a contract great year. Like you see happen a lot around the league. 

the head scratcher for me was Glasgow, since he is a special teamer and I thought there were better choices out there. 

Gave it a solid B, and not higher for minor issues - preferred Dobbins to Taylor, like Pinter but preferred a little better, and have some doubt about whether or not Windsor will ever make any impact at all. But as I said, those are minor gripes.

I really like the possibility that Patmon could prove to be an eventual playmaker for them down the road, and for just a 6th round pick. And I almost love the 2 DBs picked, because they were both highly athletic and productive in college, with the only reservation being the injury in one case and competition level in the other. But man, they can both move.

Eason is intriguing. Have absolutely no clue at this point what he'll end up being. Flip a coin. But it's going to be interesting to see.

The big prizes were, of course, Pittman and Taylor. I can't wait to see how quickly each one becomes a consistent part of his unit's rotation. They both have all the talent and ability needed. Now it's just a matter of watching what happens.

It’s a solid B+ for me right now. We made some needed improvements, found competition for all levels across the board, and took some chances. 

We were a lot more active than I was expecting. Wasn’t sure about taking a RB in the 2nd, but he’s such a talent I’m not bothered by it. 

If Blackmon recovers the right way he could be a major player for us. 

And Eason? There’s some risk there but at the 4th round it’s worth it. When I watch his tape I see some similarities to Carson Palmer and Tom Brady. He’s got a long way to go to make it in this league. Luckily for him he’s got plenty of time. 

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

I gave it a preliminary B. I'll be going through a watch of each player and giving my grades, probably over the next month or so. 

Going to do the same in the next week or so. Already did some digging on Blackmon, but need to do more.

Favorite pick is Pittman. He makes a ton of sense, he'll have a chance to contribute right away, and he has a ton of upside.

Same here. I think he has some work to do vs the press, but he should be a big part of the passing O on day 1. I like him a lot better than Funch at X.

Biggest head scratcher is Blackmon. I see why they liked him, but most of what they've done so far this offseason has shown an effort to get guys who don't have major injury concerns. Blackmon just tore his ACL and quite possibly won't play this season. 

I've watched a little film on him already. Not a bunch out there though, but hopefully will find more. If you find stuff, please post. That goes for everyone outside of Pittman/Taylor/Eason, not just Blackmon.

I would have gone with Taylor because of the trade up, but it's not really a head scratcher, just a difference in philosophy. But not only is he a stud, they explained why they traded up, and they still wound up with nine total picks. And I think some of my "why trade up for a RB" is influenced by my preconceptions of what they'd do in the second round. Overall, using a mid second rounder on a back isn't something I have a problem with. 

I'm happy to have Taylor (agree he's a stud, just hope he can catch), but still scratching a bit on the trade up, overall timing, and forgoing an early/mid OT and TE.

Initial reaction is a B+ for me, and I think I'm a hard grader.  We got Pittman, Taylor wasn't as much of a need as more of a BPA deal, so I'm OK with that and I think he'll be a stud here, and Eason was a terrific value if you realize he was getting mocked late 1st/early 2nd, so 4th was pretty good.

What kept it from getting an A from me is we didn't fill two areas I was hoping to address: OT and TE.  Bu the players we did get I think will be pretty good.  The DB area should be MUCH improved, specifically when Blackmon is ready to go.

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

It’s a solid B+ for me right now. We made some needed improvements, found competition for all levels across the board, and took some chances. 

We were a lot more active than I was expecting. Wasn’t sure about taking a RB in the 2nd, but he’s such a talent I’m not bothered by it. 

Pros - great production, fast, and durable. 

Cons - high mileage

Questions - can he catch

I love the leverage it gives us though going into the contract year with Mack. Also love having a legit 1-2 punch in a year it seems we're going all in.

If Blackmon recovers the right way he could be a major player for us. 

I'm likely him more than when picked. Just wish he wasn't coming off injury. We needed someone that can contribute early if we're not resigning Geathers. 

And Eason? There’s some risk there but at the 4th round it’s worth it. When I watch his tape is see some similarities to Carson Palmer and Tom Brady. He’s got a long way to go to make it in this league. Luckily for him he’s got plenty of time. 

Right now, he's got one year. Not sure if that's plenty though lol.

I'm not unhappy with him, just not really happy with the pick. Still not sure how I feel.

My grade is meaningless because I am not too aware of most of the players we drafted - especially in the later rounds, but I give it a solid C+/B-.

Offense got more playmakers in Pittman and Taylor. I'm intrigued by Pintor and Patmon. 

I don't know if Eason will be the QB of the future, but what I do know is that getting him in the 4th round was great value.

Think Blackmon was a reach, but could provide solid depth behind Willis and Hooker. Windsor and Rogers could be solid depth.

3 minutes ago, MTC said:

My grade is meaningless because I am not too aware of most of the players we drafted - especially in the later rounds, but I give it a solid C+/B-.

Offense got more playmakers in Pittman and Taylor. I'm intrigued by Pintor and Patmon. 

I don't know if Eason will be the QB of the future, but what I do know is that getting him in the 4th round was great value.

Think Blackmon was a reach, but could provide solid depth behind Willis and Hooker. Windsor and Rogers could be solid depth.

I agree with most of what you said here, and I would echo the intrigue for both Pinter and his ferocity and Patmon with his size.  I think the Blackmon thing is potential.  When he was healthy it is said people were looking at him as a potential 1st/2nd rounder but then the injury hit which caused his slide.  I'm sure there are about 30 or 40 guys in every draft you could say the same thing about "If only they hadn't been injured......", and he is no different.  The Colts though are hoping he IS different and I am as well.

I picked Glasgow as the biggest head scratcher only because I didn't feel that way about any of our picks.  My knee jerk was about Blackmon like everyone else, but the more I looked into it, the more I liked it. 

Thought Ballard moved up and down the draft reasonably so I never really got the impression we were drafting guys we had no business taking.   

I tend not to grade or judge for that matter but there was a couple of surprises for sure.

With the need at wide receiver Pittman was really not a surprise and I am happy we picked him.

Taylor was a surprise but a very nice surprise. He is a beast. He should do very well with Dix as a blocker and following Big Q and company. While thinking RB was not a need getting a player of his caliber makes it OK by me.

Drafting  Dezmon Patmon may end up being a very great pick IMO. Had this draft not been so receiver heavy he would have gone a lot earlier.

To be honest I don't know a lot about the others and will trust Ballard and crew till something makes me question it. Only time will have those answers. 

Loved the first day, the second day was a lot of head scratching for me, though I’ve come around to a few of the guys.  Blackmon, who seems to be many people’s least favorite pick, was probably my favorite.  He was in a lot of my mocks, although usually in Round 4 or 5.

Not happy about Eason at all, but at least it was in Round 4 and not 2.  I don’t think he’ll ever be a starting QB, but I’m everyone’s greatest fan when they get drafted by the Colts!  For me, the only other one I don’t like is Windsor.  Not athletic enough to get it done in the pros at that 3T position.

I give us a B+

Had Josh Jones eecked his way down to #75 and Ballard selected him.... it would be an A draft. Not coming away with a prospect to groom in for ACs replacement is my only real complaint with this draft.

Hopefully Blackmon heals up well and we have a top notch Safety who can snag some INTs.

So B+ for me.

20 minutes ago, Archer said:

Loved the first day, the second day was a lot of head scratching for me, though I’ve come around to a few of the guys.  Blackmon, who seems to be many people’s least favorite pick, was probably my favorite.  He was in a lot of my mocks, although usually in Round 4 or 5.

Not happy about Eason at all, but at least it was in Round 4 and not 2.  I don’t think he’ll ever be a starting QB, but I’m everyone’s greatest fan when they get drafted by the Colts!  For me, the only other one I don’t like is Windsor.  Not athletic enough to get it done in the pros at that 3T position.

I'm just not sure Windsor even makes the team or PS. That's definitely my least favorite pick. I'll research more on him, but have found nothing thus far that makes me understand the pick lol.. 

At least Glasgow has special teams value. Really doubt he makes the 53 though.

B- for me. Happy with Pittman, I was at first confused at the Taylor pick but I did have Taylor as the best RB in the draft because simply put he is a beast and I’ve come around to that decision by Ballard. Don’t think Blackmon was a good pick personally. Eason was a good pickup in the 4th as he has a huge arm and high upside. After that we signed a few positions of need but I’ve never heard of them so 3/9 good picks the rest are an unknown although intrigued by Dezmon Patton Based on his size alone lol

I didn’t think there were any real head scratchers.  “None” should’ve been an option.

i graded it a B, although, if I factor in the 13th pick in the 1st round for a young All-Pro / ProBowl DT, that would bump my grade to an A.

Pittman is filling my perception of the biggest need, but I am most intrigued by Taylor.  Voted best RB in college football two years in a row?  THIS could end up being the most impactful get in the draft.

A lot of people were mocking Eason to the Colts in the 2nd.  Getting him mid round is such a better value / a good flier.  If Brissett isn’t traded, Colts roll with Rivers, Brissett, & Eason.  Chad Kelly might get another year on the practice squad.

If you are a asking solely about this draft haul, I was happy with the first pick. I don't like tbe RB or QB picks. I don't see what is  wrong with current backfield. I think these picks could have been better served elsewhere. Also, pick #3 just off major injury. The other low round picks may not even make the team. Every team is always trying to find the "199Th TOM BRADY GOAT pick." You hear it all the time when brady's name comes up about his draft, but this rarely happens. Usually these guys are 2nd tier special teamers at best. I usually don't put much stock into. draft picks past the late 4th or early 5th round anyhow. Sure there will be some but usually not many.  So we got 1 day one starter, 1 back up RB. A CB who may not play. A project QB. Then got a lineman who has,  not my words,  but has Underwhelming physical traits,Technique in pass protection is way behind Inconsistent distribution of weight in pass sets, Deposited into pocket too often by speed-to-power. Windsor the De has a great motor but also not my words

Missing NFL mass and will get pushed around, Not much jolt into initial contact, Struggles to maintain gap integrity against extra blockers, Allowed himself to be reached and stacked, Needs feet in closer contact with the ground,Doesn't have quick-win hands or control point of attack consistently, Rush production often occurred well after initial snap, then the rest are trading camp guys and probably not much else. Would of liked one more early round wr at least. I feel this was one of Ballards worst drafts. I think there are a lot of reaches here. But this is all just from what these player have done in the past. I hope I'm way off and they all turn out to be gems. Until then, we all will wait to see.

I gave it an A-/B+. I didn’t really have a head scratcher per say but I think I put Glasgow when upon hindsight I wish I hadn’t . I watched the Question and Answer videos with our scouts and felt really good with our picks after hearing their viewpoints. The only issue I had was  everyone’s take, including GM Ballard, on Eason. I didn’t hear the overall exuberance like I heard for Pinter or Pittman, etc. They seemed to keep their opinions vague regarding him. I might be misreading it.  It might be a Jacoby thing where they don’t want to put Eason over him at this point.  Personally, I am excited about his chances.  If Blackmon overcomes his injury and plays well,  I think this draft is a real game changer. Pittman is going to ball, I’m sure of it. 

I get people not liking the Blackmon pick and I didn’t at first either. But god his tape is GOOOD. If he can bounce back from the injury, which ACL tears haven’t been as severe in today’s medical world, he could be a stud for us 

3 hours ago, TheMose said:

I get people not liking the Blackmon pick and I didn’t at first either. But god his tape is GOOOD. If he can bounce back from the injury, which ACL tears haven’t been as severe in today’s medical world, he could be a stud for us 

Blackmon is interesting. Didn't convert to S until last year. Played pretty bad as a CB before 2019. Played pretty darn good as a S (PFF coverage grade of 85) in 2019. Getting injured your first year at S (while likely still learning the position) really stinks, so it's a flag to me, along with the injury in general. Rule on ACLs are one year to heal, another year to trust. I think they said he woudn't likely be back on the field until Oct or Nov.

I will avoid giving a grade until I've watched the players I haven't seen yet. My initial thoughts are that this is a typical Ballard draft. He's targeting athletic long players in the later rounds and highly skilled culture setters in the early rounds. 

I loved the Eason pickup as a flyer on a QB to groom for a year or two, to get him in the building and monitor how he handles his business, how he takes in coaching and if the reports about his attitude have any truth to them. I thought if you are not going to get Love in the 1-2 round range, Eason in the 4th is close to perfect case situation. You get a player with high level arm talent and high end pedigree, and at the same time you haven't invested a ton on him so you can more easily move on if he doesn't look like the answer. Low risk, high reward move in my books. 

You know I loved Pittman so that pick will be an A from me.

The Taylor trade and pick were less than ideal IMO. I don't think I will ever be a huge fan of spending premier assets on RBs. But with that said as a playr Taylor is a high level running talent and IMO he will improve our run game. One of the few bad things in Mack's game is that he sometimes leaves yards on the field by not being a strong and assertive runner, I don't think you will ever have that problem with Taylor. He will get what's there and then some more. I would probably grade it as C... but again this is more about the positional value of RB combined with us already having a solid RB room

Blackmon - haven't watched him... looks intriguing on highlights and reading his story. Taking his injury into account, this felt like a reach, but again - I will give a grade when I see several of his games.

Eason - already wrote about him - A

Pinter - haven't watched him... again looks like a good project for a confident OLine coaching staff

Isaiah Rodgers - this is where I get super excited by a highlight tape. Can't wait to see his full game tape. He looks absolutely electric... something you don't often say about a DB

Dezmon Patmon - haven't watched his tape. Big, athletic WR... Pittman & Patmon. Sounds like a law firm :D 

Jordan Glasgow - haven't watched his tape. Looks like a productive player who fills the stat sheet

Overall this draft will probably end up around B - B+ range. Unless there are some surprises either way from the players I haven't watched so far.

48 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Blackmon is interesting. Didn't convert to S until last year. Played pretty bad as a CB before 2019. Played pretty darn good as a S (PFF coverage grade of 85) in 2019. Getting injured your first year at S (while likely still learning the position) really stinks, so it's a flag to me, along with the injury in general. Rule on ACLs are one year to heal, another year to trust. I think they said he woudn't likely be back on the field until Oct or Nov.

They said they are shooting for him to be back in Augusta, but it could reasonably be October. I agree though on the “another year to trust.” It’s a mental barrier for the player too, and one that sometimes doesn’t go away. I had a baseball buddy that tore his and heavily favored his good knee the rest of his career. He was still a fine player, but always had that subconscious protection of the knee, which changed the way he played. 

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

OK, the more I read about Blackmon, the more I'm warming up. 

Guessing this is bad news for Geathers being resigned (has he ended up in the news at all). 

I like that he came from Utah who had a good backfield for the PAC, and also like his speed (4.46 if accurate). A little concerned with the late/December injury, and weight. I still think he could have been had a bit later, but warming up. 

Anyway, should be good comp for Willis. I think Blackmon could end up more well rounded than Willis, and be the primary SS, limiting Willis to box play. That won't happen early though.

I’d think that Blackmon is going to be more of the FS not the strong safety. Unless I’m thinking about this wrong, the SS is the guy usually more up towards the line and helps support the run more. The FS is the guy over the middle to deep part of the field and is more of a coverage guy for the pass? Just wondering why you think he would be lined up in a SS instead of a FS? I see this kid taking over for Hooker and Willis taking over for Geathers. 

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I'm liking Blackmon a bit more now that I've read up, and watched some film. Not sure yet how I feel about Eason to be honest. 

I gave a C+/B- as I thought we really needed TE and OT. I think we could have gotten more impact from the middle rounds for 2020. Not a fan at all of late round picks Windsor (DT) or Glasgow (LB). The rest I'm Ok with for the most part. 

I really fully expected us to get a OT in the 2nd, in fact, I assumed instead of WR, we would take the best OT left on the board. Maybe Pinter replaces our valuable swing type Swiss Army knife guy but can he or will he ever be able to take over for the RG spot and be better than the current guy? 

as you, I’m really pretty surprised we didn’t take a TE anywhere in the draft at all. I don’t know what CB seen in the DT he took vs any of the TE’s that were still present but that is a spot that makes me scratch my head. 

7 hours ago, Archer said:

I know the combine tests are not perfect encapsulation of athleticism, but Windsor actually tested like an above average athlete for his position. He got RAS(relative athletic score) of 8.68(average is 5.0) and measured and tested similarly but better than Ross Blacklock who went in R2 for example.

C for 2020 season.  Maybe higher for 2021.  Seems to me draft geared for long term and possibly cancelled season.  

1. Needed a WR.  Like size.  Dislike speed.  Most WR don’t produce as. Rookies.  Last year, there were a couple of exceptions.

2. don’t think we needed an an RB.  Taylor will allow franchise to avoid paying Mack in 2021.  Seems like a move with a team with area  more settled Future rather than one that will have a 4th rounder on the roster at QB.  Don’t think this improves the team much next year since they already have good backs.  If we didn’t have Mack seems like it would be more of a win now move.

3.  Since the guy has a torn ACL obviously this is a move for the future.

4.  Has no impact on 2020.

5 to 7.  No opinion.

so I definitely see this as a win later draft overall.  Not saying that’s bad.  Lucks departure set the franchise back 2-3 years.

My grades 

1. Buckner- A+ definite day 1 stud starter, makes the entire defense better 

2. Pittman-A Our true X WR who can wall off and stab a ball in the air. He will make teams pay one way or the other by choosing to double him or TY. He should be what Funchess was supposed to be but cheaper and for at least 4 years. He makes this offense become “wide open” imho. 

3. Taylor-A- many experts call him the best of the RB group. If nothing else, he sounds like a consensus 1-2 top RB in this draft. To get that value in the 2nd rd, I’ll take it and it does give this team options to handle a potentially large contract ask for Mack next year. There is the concern of having all those miles but honestly, if he balls out for 4 years, franchise him for the 5th and then move on, you’ve got good value from that spot if he plays like predictions. 

4. Blackmon- C So this appears to be a succession planning here. A great looking young talent at the FS spot. Is he going to play this year or not, that’s the question and does CB even care? If he plans accurately, Hooker balls out this season, he leaves for bigger money, we get a comp and his replacement steps right in. I give a C because it could go either way on this kid. 

5. Eason- B+ A QB of this level at the 4th rd who was mocked at the late first or into the 2nd rd by almost every major mock there is, that is just great value for a QB. He really could be a franchise guy. He could also bust out and be gone in a year or two if he doesn’t put real, full effort into his craft. This is where you would like to see Peyton Manning come into play as a gold jacket holding Colts icon. Get a hold of this guy and show him how you poured yourself into the game to become a GOAT!! Don’t allow him to start off guessing how to start preparing as an NFL guy, give him a blueprint and who better to do that from? The nice thing here with Eason, you aren’t pinning your franchise hope on this kid. He is a 4th round, low expectations guy who you have ultra high expectations for, if that makes sense. I think they know the high potential he could bring but also doesn’t have the extreme weight of being a #13 pick. He has room and space to breathe while learning, failing and succeeding...or failing and moving on. Perfectly placed spot for this kid imho. 

6. Pinter-C+ I don’t know him. Short arms concern me but we aren’t asking him to be the LT. Most of what I read here about him are mostly positive and stuff he can improve with nfl level teaching and training. He could turn into a starter in a couple seasons or be gone. Coin flip. Most of these kids past this point have little expectations from me. I’m more of a 1-4 rounds thinker. Anything from anyone past 4th is just gravy and good luck. 

7. Windsor- C don’t know a thing about him. 

8. Rodgers-B From what little I’ve read and seen on him, he has very solid value at this point of the draft. ST player while he learns and sounds like a player who will always have a chip on his shoulder. Wished he was 6’ 2” lol

9. Patmon- B Another very good value and with the right attitude and ability to absorb NFL quality training, this guy could be another big body player we’ve looked for. Has great potential to become a player. Question will be, can he stick on the 53?  can he get to and stay on the PS if he doesn’t make the 53? Is this kid going to be our next internet/fan obsession like Cain/Fountain had been (full disclosure, I was on the Cain train and am really pulling for Fountain lol) because of his size? It would be awesome to have 2 quality X style wr’s on the team. 

10. Glasgow- C Meh, at this area of the draft, throw a dart and select the player. ST guy and maybe lucky lightening in the bottle types. Likely will never see a role on this team. 

overall, I’ll give this draft a Solid B. Had we gotten a potential next year starting quality LT in the draft somewhere, I’d have given it an A. I hope to god AC can stay healthy 100% of the season because who would step into that spot if we had to fill in for 1 play or 1 game? Clark? Yikes!!

A-/B+ from me. I had really hoped we'd spent a pick in either round 2 or 3 on an OT/OG. I'm hopeful on Burton, but still thought a TE in the 3rd/4th would have been nice. That said, I think we got 3 first round talents with our first 3 picks (including Buckner). That's a big win. I had already really wanted Pittman, and Reich got me really excited for Taylor. Blackmon was who I voted for as the biggest head-scratcher but It's not like it's clear the talent he has, but the injury does scare me a bit for a 3rd round guy when there were plenty of other players available who could help us be better. But if he heals fine (which most times players do with ACLs when they're young), and he becomes the player we hope is can be then great. The rest of the guys make sense. We waited on O-line depth, but we did get some eventually, and I feel a lot better after hearing Ballard talk about him. Apparently we tried for 30 minutes or so to find a trade partner to trade up and get him. Luckily(?) he fell to us anyways. I do still wish we'd gotten someone who suited for OT. The remaining guys seem like solid depth/ST guys.

Archived