Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anthony Gordon not drafted?

He is still a good QB, it is just hard to project a 1 year player that played in an Air Raid system to the NFL. Even Minshew was a late round draft pick by the Jaguars but Minshew had more years of starting experience under his belt (2 with East Carolina, 1 with Washington State while Gordon had 1 year at City College of San Francisco in 2015 and then waited his turn for 1 year in 2019 at Washington State).

However, this QB class was weak after Burrow and Tua to begin with. Plus, the off season QBs available also messed things up for potential draftees coming out. I mean, Jameis Winston and Cam Newton are still unsigned out there. 

Just like Tim Tebow was ousted for Peyton Manning in Denver, Jameis Winston was ousted for Tom Brady in Tampa. Hard for fans to say much and complain. I am sure the notorious "Shaun King" is waiting to make a race based article for all of this. 

14 hours ago, Gigc said:

I'm shocked.

I would have sworn 4th, 5th round.

who signs him?

I posted a long write up on the guy, his mechanics are a disaster, he's not just a project, he's a massive project with limited upside.  I just think people who were big on him didn't know what they were looking at, all I saw was a mess.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I over valued all of the second tier QBs, but feel a bit comforted in seeing that Gordon was ranked last among the GMs apparently.

Same here. Gordon being undrafted is still weird to me, though. I knew there is a chance the NFL doesn't like him as much as online analysts, but this is way out of range of what I expected.

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

Same here. Gordon being undrafted is still weird to me, though. I knew there is a chance the NFL doesn't like him as much as online analysts, but this is way out of range of what I expected.

Kurt Warner said that the NFL is actually pretty full of talented QBs and there just wasn't much room for the second tier guys.  The top tier guys are viewed as immediate starters and teams already have developmental guys on the rosters.  Just a bad year for the second tier guys.

Gordon clearly wasn’t as good as I and others thought.....

Kevin Bowen, who I listen to and seems to have a good football mind, mocked him to the Colts at 75

99.9% of us on the board don’t have direct access to any of these players.... we will be wrong more than we are right. 

At this point, not my first choice, but I’m moving on and hoping that Eason has grown up and is the Colts QB of the future

I wish the best for Gordon in Seattle.....  

13 hours ago, stitches said:

The NFL never liked him. People on this board liked him. He was created as the anti-Jordan Love and that’s how the hype around him was created. He was the least talked about by all of the respected draft analysts out of all the QBs. Every ranking I saw had him as the 12th ranked QB at best. He probably popped up in the 3rd round of some way too early mock one time and someone ran with it.

Tommy Stevens and Ben Denucci were the last and 2nd to last Ranked QBs on Lance Zerlein’s rankings and even they got drafted. There was never any legit media hype behind Gordon. His hype was created off of two things:

1. People on this board stat watching

2. The success of Gardner Minshew 

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

The NFL never liked him. People on this board liked him. He was created as the anti-Jordan Love and that’s how the hype around him was created. He was the least talked about by all of the respected draft analysts out of all the QBs. Every ranking I saw had him as the 12th ranked QB at best. He probably popped up in the 3rd round of some way too early mock one time and someone ran with it.

Tommy Stevens and Ben Denucci were the last and 2nd to last Ranked QBs on Lance Zerlein’s rankings and even they got drafted. There was never any legit media hype behind Gordon. His hype was created off of two things:

PFF liked him a lot. They had him ranked in their top 100(R3). 

The draft network had him ranked between at the following position(different evaluators there): 124-132-148-167-202 which is between R4 and R6. He was ranked between QB6 and QB11 on their QB rankings. Mel Kiper had him as his QB10. Todd McShay had him as his QB8...

He was consistently ranked in the top 10 of QBs and projected between rounds 3 and 6.

4 hours ago, stitches said:

PFF liked him a lot. They had him ranked in their top 100(R3). 

The draft network had him ranked between at the following position(different evaluators there): 124-132-148-167-202 which is between R4 and R6. He was ranked between QB6 and QB11 on their QB rankings. Mel Kiper had him as his QB10. Todd McShay had him as his QB8...

He was consistently ranked in the top 10 of QBs and projected between rounds 3 and 6.

No surprised PFF liked him based on his insane numbers. They are mainly stats based.

Those other rankings are about the same. He wasn’t a consistent 3rd/4th rounder. Bottom line is that his stock was never as high as people made it seem.

27 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

No surprised PFF liked him based on his insane numbers. They are mainly stats based.

Those other rankings are about the same. He wasn’t a consistent 3rd/4th rounder. Bottom line is that his stock was never as high as people made it seem.

That last part was probably true. The NFL never viewed him as highly as even the average online evaluators, let alone the ones that had him early in the draft.

On 4/26/2020 at 8:24 AM, Rally5 said:

I posted a long write up on the guy, his mechanics are a disaster, he's not just a project, he's a massive project with limited upside.  I just think people who were big on him didn't know what they were looking at, all I saw was a mess.

I think Gordon was the best pure passer in the draft.  But I posted a while ago, that I think he is at least two years away from being a viable candidate to start in the NFL.  He has to unlearn several things before he can start to learn the correct way.  But I think his upside is pretty high if he has the ability and mental make up to work hard at it for a couple of years to get his shot.

It doesn't happen often but Romo was undrafted and was on the PS for a year and then 3rd and 2nd on the depth chart for a couple more years before getting the chance to start.  I see a similar path for Gordon... again assuming he is willing to put in the time and effort.

9 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

Seattle picked him up.  But Russel Wilson still young and he'll be with Seattle for many years, so this is a head scratcher as to what his role is in Seattle.  Be a back up for the next ten years perhaps?

He's gotta be concerned with making the team, not where his place is for the next 10 years 

20 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don't care for him all that much, but the analyst covering the combine did talk highly about him immediately after. Can't remember if it was ESPN or NFL.com, but I recall two of them saying he improved his stock as much as anyone. They still said he was a project but were pretty kind in their words. IIRC one of them said he might overcome Fromm given Fromm's poor throwing performance at the combine.

Simply my opinion, but I think he's a project with decent upside. Certainly enough to use a 7th on him and PS slot. Low floor though. One of the things most are concerned with is arm strength, but I think the kid will grow into his skinny frame and the arm strength will improve. The footwork is the other big thing, and that's simply coaching.

Folks forget he was a juco/comm college kid, and came to WSU late. He didn't have a lot of big game experience at all until taking over when Minshew left. I think he'd be talked about differently had he went to a bigger school and ended up starting a few years (having better coaching those years). And anyway you look at it, 70% completion % is good regardless of what scheme you're in.

In short, I do look at stats, but there's plenty of context to look at here too.

I'm not surprised at all that he went undrafted. I really liked Gardner Minshew last year and allowed everything I was hearing from other places (air raid, lack of size, immobility) to push him down my draft board.

So I went into this year really wanting to study Gordon. I just saw arm strength that was even worse than Minshew's, and Minshew was much better at reading defenses and going through his progressions. Plus he does not handle pressure in the pocket well at all.

I like Gordon's touch and anticipatory throwing, but I just don't think he has the natural traits to stick around this league.

Archived