Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2020 UDFA Class Tracker

17 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Max guaranteed contract for CFL is 80K. He'll make 9.5x that in one year if he makes the team. If he doesn't make the team, he can go right back to the CFL. It's a no-brainer for him. 

Comparing CFL contracts and the Canadian dollar and a NFL contract and US dollar is i win square peg in a round hole GIF

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hot Rod!    

As the draft comes to a close, the UDFA frenzy begins.   If anyone sees any reports of any Colts signings, please share!   UDFA Signings (unconfirmed): South Alabama CB Travis

As a Blankenship, imma get me a jersey even if he dosnt make the team. Probably the closest imma get lol.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Keep in mind that UDFAs are a different situation all together. Because they didn't get drafted, they control their own destiny, and can easily make more than late round drafted guys. Most agents are prioritizing teams with weak position groups more so than signing bonuses, etc.. A top team with a strong WR position group might have a tough time for instance signing a UDFA WR (and need to pay guarantees and bonuses to attract a guy). Financial situation of player also has impacted UDFA signings. I've seen teams bonus less fortunate guys to help them move and get set up.  

One of the HP guys @bertjones7 mentioned is a Missouri grad 

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

Comparing CFL contracts and the Canadian dollar and a NFL contract and US dollar is i win square peg in a round hole GIF

exchange rate is 1 USD to 1.42 CAD. 

So a $761,667 USD contract is worth $1,081,567.14 CAD. 

A $80,000 max 1st round CFL contract is worth $56,338.02 USD.

$1,081,567.14 CAD NFL contract is 13.5x a CFL max contract.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

exchange rate is 1 USD to 1.42 CAD. 

So a $761,667 USD contract is worth $1,081,567.14 CAD. 

A $80,000 max 1st round CFL contract is worth $56,338.02 USD.

$1,081,567.14 CAD NFL contract is 13.5x a CFL max contract.

The CFL money structure  and Cost of living is much different

The money argument is faulty logic because for many Football and Family is more important that money for many and Canadian Football is much different than American Football

I can only name about 5 U Sports players to make the transition and even less that made a successful one

Seems like teams have a budget of 128K for signing bonuses of UDFAs(that's the grand total sum for all UDFAs a team is allowed). Teams circumvent that limit by guaranteeing more money in their contracts, but that guaranteed money that's not a UDFA signing bonus hits the teams' capspace. 

From what I'm getting, the money that have been announced for Blankenship(20K) and O'Donnell(25K) are signing bonuses. We don't know yet what other money they have guaranteed in their contracts.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The CFL money structure  and Cost of living is much different

The money argument is faulty logic because for many Football and Family is more important that money for many and Canadian Football is much different than American Football

I can only name about 5 U Sports players to make the transition and even less that made a successful one

Dude, come on. CFL players face the same thing (family) that NFL players do. Toronto and Montreal born kids get drafted by Vancouver. That's 2800 miles and the same for a kid born in LA and playing for the Bills. If they are in the draft (CFL or NFL), they've already made their choice.