Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Questions about the draft.

Kccolts

Hi folks, 

I hope everyone is keeping safe and well in Indy dying this unsettling time. 

We are in lock down in Scotland as well and this has given me a chance to pay more attention to the draft than normal. 

I thought I had a reasonable grasp of what happened during the draft in relation to who gets first pick etc, but the more I have followed discussions on here, I am probably more confused by the finer points of the process 

1 why was the commissioner roundly booed at the start of the draft. 

2 What is the advantage of trading a pick downward as I would have thought that the higher the player position, the better the player. 

3 Are players in say 5th/6th rounds really going to bring anything to improve the team given their position in the draft. 

4 Who has final say in selections, the head coach or General manager. 

Thanks again for taking the time to read and hopefully reply to my post. 

C'mon the Colts. 

9 minutes ago, Kccolts said:

Hi folks, 

We are in lock down in Scotland as well and this has given me a chance to pay more attention to the draft than normal. 

I thought I had a reasonable grasp of what happened during the draft in relation to who gets first pick etc, but the more I have followed discussions on here, I am probably more confused by the finer points of the process 

2 What is the advantage of trading a pick downward as I would have thought that the higher the player position, the better the player. 

3 Are players in say 5th/6th rounds really going to bring anything to improve the team given their position in the draft. 

C'mon the Colts. 

1.  Fans in general don’t like Goodell because he’s the bad guy for the league.

2.  You get more picks by trading back.  At some point people feel guys in a certain range are about equal value it’s just a matter of how you set up your board.  So if you have pick 100 say but the next top guy in your board is say 124 you might as well move back and get more picks and still get your guy.

3.  You can find gems in those later round picks.  For example Tom Brady, Bethea, Mathis, Mack, and Garçon have all been drafted in the fifth or sixth round.

4.  Depends on who runs your team.  In New England for example I am sure hoodie gets the final say.  With the Cowboys it’s Jerry Jones that has the final say.  With the Colts it’s always been a give and take.  Dungy told a story of how he had to talk Polian into drafting Freeny and how Polian had to talk him into Bob Sanders.

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

1.  Fans in general don’t like Goodell because he’s the bad guy for the league.

2.  You get more picks by trading back.  At some point people feel guys in a certain range are about equal value it’s just a matter of how you set up your board.  So if you have pick 100 say but the next top guy in your board is say 124 you might as well move back and get more picks and still get your guy.

3.  You can find gems in those later round picks.  For example Tom Brady, Bethea, Mathis, Mack, and Garçon have all been drafted in the fifth or sixth round.

4.  Depends on who runs your team.  In New England for example I am sure hoodie gets the final say.  With the Cowboys it’s Jerry Jones that has the final say.  With the Colts it’s always been a give and take.  Dungy told a story of how he had to talk Polian into drafting Freeny and how Polian had to talk him into Bob Sanders.

Thanks for the prompt reply, and it makes a bit more sense now, you choose the player you want and if he is not available at the correct time, you negotiate with another team to swap if they have their eye on someone nearer your spot. 

I take it this is commonplace and all teams participate freely? 

As always, there is someone willing to answer my questions. 

Many thanks. 

Gordon. 

2 minutes ago, Kccolts said:

Thanks for the prompt reply, and it makes a bit more sense now, you choose the player you want and if he is not available at the correct time, you negotiate with another team to swap if they have their eye on someone nearer your spot. 

I take it this is commonplace and all teams participate freely? 

As always, there is someone willing to answer my questions. 

Many thanks. 

Gordon. 

Yeah of if you like two guys about the same you move back and let the draft decide for you who you take.  By the same token if you really like someone and you don’t think he will be there when you pick you move up.  That’s what happened with the Colts and Taylor last night.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah of if you like two guys about the same you move back and let the draft decide for you who you take.  By the same token if you really like someone and you don’t think he will be there when you pick you move up.  That’s what happened with the Colts and Taylor last night.

As I said, this was the first time I have followed the draft closely with the TV on and this forum on my laptop, although I don't know any of the players drafted (although I see there is one called Glasgow), most people on here seem happy with how it has gone and that is a positive as the team comes together for the new season. 

Just now, Kccolts said:

As I said, this was the first time I have followed the draft closely with the TV on and this forum on my laptop, although I don't know any of the players drafted (although I see there is one called Glasgow), most people on here seem happy with how it has gone and that is a positive as the team comes together for the new season. 

No problem that’s the great thing about the forum lots of people who know things and can explain things.

most teams are happy on draft day, well except for Bill O’Brien (funny video of him having a melt down last night).  Check back in a year or two to see how it turned out lol.

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The draft is often one big chess game for the GMs.  It would be interesting if we got a behind the scenes idea of what is going on.

Just now, Valpo2004 said:

The draft is often one big chess game for the GMs.  It would be interesting if we got a behind the scenes idea of what is going on.

I think Ballard has given us as close as we will ever get to that.  He’s pretty open with the media and even brought them in one year to show them how they do it.

42 minutes ago, Kccolts said:

Hi folks, 

C'mon the Colts. 

Good post.   If you don't know ask    

44 minutes ago, Kccolts said:

Because most fans are whiny. The commissioner is chosen by the owners, and for the most part, he does what the owners want. He takes the heat for the owners, and fans misplace their anger at him. He is not, IMO, a bad guy, nor is he a detriment to the league. 

14 minutes ago, Kccolts said:

I highly recommend you watch last year's With The Next Pick video series. It takes you through the draft preparation process as well as some behind the scenes video from the Colts draft room on draft day. Pretty cool and very informative!!

55 minutes ago, Kccolts said:

Hi folks, 

C'mon the Colts. 

I’ll just talk about #1.  Booing Goodell started a few years back because of some of his unpopular decisions, including suspending Brady.  Then it gained a life of its own and now people do it as a tradition.

This year, the League decided to embrace it and invited it.

Love hearing from fans from other countries!

8 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I’ll just talk about #1.  Booing Goodell started a few years back because of some of his unpopular decisions, including suspending Brady.  Then it gained a life of its own and now people do it as a tradition.

This year, the League decided to embrace it and invited it.

Love hearing from fans from other countries!

That makes a bit more sense as he appeared to be embracing the boos from what I saw. 

8 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

I highly recommend you watch last year's With The Next Pick video series. It takes you through the draft preparation process as well as some behind the scenes video from the Colts draft room on draft day. Pretty cool and very informative!!

Thanks, this could be my lock down viewing this week. 

8 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

Thanks, this could be my lock down viewing next week 

8 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Because most fans are whiny. The commissioner is chosen by the owners, and for the most part, he does what the owners want. He takes the heat for the owners, and fans misplace their anger at him. He is not, IMO, a bad guy, nor is he a detriment to the league. 

Thanks for the reply, there always seems to be someone that is chosen as the bad guy even though he is not. 

20 hours ago, Kccolts said:

oh man, there isnt really a simple way to answer this.  people boo him because of various decisions hes made over the years.  he got a lot heat for the ray rice and tom brady incidents.

hes dont many, many things and for pretty much every one of them somebody out there feels like they lost the deal 

On 4/26/2020 at 8:00 PM, crazycolt1 said:

One good thing Goodell has done is make the Patriots the most fined team in league history. He can't be all that bad. :spit:

Thanks got the info, I also saw a report over here saying the patriots were not Hest pleased with how they performed in the draft, if this is true, it must make pleasant reading for colts fans. 

22 minutes ago, Kccolts said:

Thanks got the info, I also saw a report over here saying the patriots were not Hest pleased with how they performed in the draft, if this is true, it must make pleasant reading for colts fans. 

Well we all have opinions but in reality it's hard to judge a draft for a couple of years. 

With that said with the trading for Buckner we already know we have an impact player.

Personally I think Pittman and Taylor will also make an impact their first year.

Welcome to our forum, it's always cool to see our brand of football be interesting for other fans in different countries. We all have more in common than some might think. 

Regarding your number one...

In addition to all other comments there us this....  the draft used to always be in New York.   A few years ago, the league started moving the location every year.

With hundreds if thousands in attendance fans (mostly) playfully booed the Commish.  And to his credit, Goodell goes along with it, even encourages it.   The booing this year was not real or live.  It was canned audio — tape from past years.  Done at Goodell’s suggestion.   I read about this weeks ago.

All done in fun. 

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Regarding your number one...

In addition to all other comments there us this....  the draft used to always be in New York.   A few years ago, the league started moving the location every year.

With hundreds if thousands in attendance fans (mostly) playfully booed the Commish.  And to his credit, Goodell goes along with it, even encourages it.   The booing this year was not real or live.  It was canned audio — tape from past years.  Done at Goodell’s suggestion.   I read about this weeks ago.

All done in fun. 

From what I saw(without knowing the background) I was thinking that I could not see the chairman of the Scottish Football Association acting the way he did, so fair play to him. 

Archived