Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eating Crow Thread

WifiGuy

One thing we all should just admit right now....if anyone thinks they know Chris Ballard enough to know what he is going to do in free agency or the draft.....they are just fooling themselves. This guy is playing chess while the rest of us are playing checkers. The only thing predictable about him is that he will prove himself to be unpredictable.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I called into sports talk radio and said you can draft a WR on Day 2 and double dip on Day 3 while JMV said we should go back-to-back WRs, which I said I doubt that will happen. I was right on that front.

However, I did not see the early RB coming. I was hoping for an extra OL on Day 2 and was wrong on that front. Just means that the coaches felt they could get depth later and didn't need starter OL guys in this draft. 

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

One thing we all should just admit right now....if anyone thinks they know Chris Ballard enough to know what he is going to do in free agency or the draft.....they are just fooling themselves. This guy is playing chess while the rest of us are playing checkers. The only thing predictable about him is that he will prove himself to be unpredictable.

Now that is one thing I did predict. :D

I was staunchly convinced and posted repeatedly that we wouldn’t take any QB in this draft.

<<<<game show buzzer!!>>>

My Draft Day masterstroke is still a few years back when I was so enamored with DT Jarron Gilbert jumping out of a swimming pool that I thought we should take him in the 1st round.... pretty much skip the formalities.... and fit him with a HoF gold jacket.

He wasn’t selected until the 3rd round by the Bears and was out of football 3 years later. :facepalm:

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

I didn’t expect them to take a QB either.  Still not crazy about the one they took but I understand it and want him to work out because he’s now a Colt.  

overall I am happy with this draft class on paper.  Now let’s see how it pans out on the field.  

Same here.

1 hour ago, WifiGuy said:

Let me be the first to enter this as a poster that NEVER thought we would take a QB in this draft. 

I have made fun of and bashed anyone who said otherwise (@Chloe6124 sorry neighbor ).  But you gotta admit it was kinda funny at times. 

Anyway. I am hear to take my lumps. 

To all here 

I WAS WRONG!!!!

Bash away. I deserve it and there will be absolutely no rebuttal.

And I just want to add.   Chris Ballard is a damn good poker player

Have at it   Don't pull punches.    

A lot of people think they have the whole thing figured out because they've been fans and have studied the game a long time.  No one here knows what will happen.

That said, I respect you for posting this.  I'd gladly eat crow when it comes to the Colts benefiting and winning.   Some exciting things were done today. 

Cheers. 

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I was correct on Pittman (said we'd take him or Claypool), Pinter (my last mock), and taking a 2nd WR late. I was way wrong on a RB that early, and not taking a TE or OT at all when several good ones were available mid rounds. Oh well. Wonder how Kiper did lol. 

Good job on Pinter!  I can't imagine anyone else predicted that we would take him. 

Save some crow cakes for me @WifiGuy!  I need to feast on it too!

I was absolutely adamant that we would not draft a QB in this draft.  And it's only my sense of social media etiquette that kept me from ridiculing every singer poster who kept pushing for it, after we brought in Rivers.

I deserve a big, BIG helping!

(It'll be ok.  I've eaten haggis, and crow can't be any worse.)

2 hours ago, WifiGuy said:

Let me be the first to enter this as a poster that NEVER thought we would take a QB in this draft. 

I have made fun of and bashed anyone who said otherwise (@Chloe6124 sorry neighbor ).  But you gotta admit it was kinda funny at times. 

To all here 

I WAS WRONG!!!!

Ummmmm....it was a 4th round pick.  It is not like they traded up into the top ten get one. U dont have to apologize.

9 minutes ago, wordofmouth said:

Good job on Pinter!  I can't imagine anyone else predicted that we would take him. 

He was a guy that popped to me as we got closer to the draft and I was researching OL gems in later rounds. He's a kid I was a little familiar with coming out of HS as he lived in South Bend IIRC, and I follow ND recruiting. He was converted from TE to OT. I think he's a project, but could end up decent depth at G/C if he he takes S&C seriously.

8 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Not true . Carried 6 for multiple games.  Care to wager ?

If we are using the list you posted.

And I said those 6 were active for game 1.

Not, we only had 1 game where we had 6 active receivers(different from your list)

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You should buy @Chloe6124 a steak dinner from St Elmo, she would like that more. She got me once when I told her Andrew Luck would be fine not to worry and she was worried about it, Andrew retired so she got me there haha. Andrew fooled most of us though so I don't feel too bad about that prediction I made :thmup:

Did you buy her a steak dinner? You lost first. Cloe should get one from each of you!!

37 minutes ago, dgambill said:

This guy is playing chess while the rest of us are playing checkers.

And some, like myself, are obviously playing tiddly winks.

I didn't get anything even close to right. I definitely don't see the team through the eyes of the front office. :grumpy2:

26 minutes ago, w87r said:

If we are using the list you posted.

And I said those 6 were active for game 1.

Not, we only had 1 game where we had 6 active receivers(different from your list)

Yes , I see that reading your post  again. My point is that we , at least I strongly believe , is that we had 6 WR's on our roster for a good part of 2019 . Really hard and cumbersome to try to find the active players for the individual games. But if you look at what we started with and take Cain (trade)and Funchess (DL) out , then add Johnson and Dullis in , it gives you 6. Plus we had Inman for around the last 3 games. 

So I think it is safe to say the Colts carried 6 WR's last year ? Whatever the case , certainly not worth arguing about.

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I am not surprised by the Easton pick.  O am surprised they got him on the 4th

I think that was partly a function of how poorly Eason apparently did in his interviews.

I hope he grasps that falling to Indy in the 4th w/ the Colts' QB situation could be the best thing that's happened to him in a while. It's largely up to him going forward as to whether he becomes something like Joe Flacco 2.0........or Ryan Leaf 2.0.

Call me a liar but I had spoke with a coworker and called both Pittman and Taylor in the 2nd. Admittedly in opposite order and was wrong about everyone else besides Eason. Eat your crow. I'll rejoice in my moment to shine lmao... That said if no one pans out... :ninja:

Just now, CelticColt said:

sounds like he and Fountain may essentially be competing for the same spot on the roster

Well the first four are locks and I don’t see the Colts carry more than 5 WR’s.

Hilton

Campbell

Pascal

Pittman

5th WR candidates 

Johnson

Fountain

Patmon

I didn't do to well either. I said repeatedly we would not draft a qb(so glad we did not take Love). I wish we would have taken another OL. Loved the Windsor pick. The dbs will add depth. Taylor will be great, but I believe Mack will not be back in2021. All in all another great draft, Ballard outsmarts me hahaha.

7 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I am not surprised by the Easton pick.  O am surprised they got him on the 4th

I think  the corona virus  had more to do with the fall of the qbs because  teams couldn't  evaluate  them as much in person

7 hours ago, WifiGuy said:

To all here 

I WAS WRONG!!!!

Overall  I'm happy. We addressed wr, rb, and took a qb. We even added another kicker to compete  with chase. The only thing  I'm  not happy  about is Ballard  saying  they still had to talk to vinatieri.  Let the young guys compete  and vinatieri  retire. 

17 hours ago, dw49 said:

Even if we keep Fountain , it's possible we keep 6. I think he's a cinch to earn a roster spot.

14 hours ago, CelticColt said:

sounds like he and Fountain may essentially be competing for the same spot on the roster

Fountain is doomed because his #10 is destined to go to Eason! :lol:

Where I was right:  Had a feeling if Taylor were there the Colts would take him, albeit I thought it would be 34 instead of 44.  

Where I was wrong:  About everything else.  I thought Gordon would be drafted.  I thought one of either Notre Dame guy Claypool or Kmet would be a Colt.  I thought they would draft an OT.  I thought they could potentially trade that 44 pick.  I didn't see so many late round trades coming.

Great draft overall though.  I slept well last night.

11 hours ago, Stephen said:

I think  the corona virus  had more to do with the fall of the qbs because  teams couldn't  evaluate  them as much in person

Only thing they missed was the pro days and some interviews had to happen online.

I wouldn't think the online interviews would be a big loss.

15 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Where I was right:  Had a feeling if Taylor were there the Colts would take him, albeit I thought it would be 34 instead of 44.  

Where I was wrong: 

Just before the draft it dawned on me that Ballard is probably thinking that neither Hooker or Mack are long term core players for the Colts, so I became interested in looking at both RB and FS positions.

I was right from a 30,000 foot view of the situation (at least I think I am), but I was dead wrong in that I didn't think he would actually draft a RB or a FS very high at all this year.

On the other side of the QB predictions, I was dead set that the Patriots would draft a QB. Was fully expecting them to grab Jordan Love or at least Jake Fromm. 

But one by one Bill declined to use his picks. And kept trading back. So I was therefore wrong on pretty much everything in this draft except getting a WR. 

4 hours ago, stitches said:

Yep, I literally wrote something to that effect the day before we drafted Taylor. I was so certain... :scratch:

I knew they might take one, but I thought  it was going to be evans. To get taylor  was quite the surprise. 

On 4/25/2020 at 6:27 PM, stitches said:

I posted this the day before day 2:

Then I posted this in my predictions for day 2:

So yeah... this was a spectacular crow eating worthy prediction from me - first we didn't trade back - we traded up, second we did trade up for a RB, and third we didn't take CB or and EDGE until the very end of R6(Isaiah Rodgers).

Us picking a RB was about the only thing I predicted right. Never thought it would be a trade up in the 2nd, though. But Itheorized Ballard doesnt strike me as the type to overpay a RB the money it would likely cost to resign Mack. That was the logic anyway. Certainly didn't think itd be a top 2 RB though...

23 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

And some, like myself, are obviously playing tiddly winks.

I didn't get anything even close to right. I definitely don't see the team through the eyes of the front office. :grumpy2:

At least you're playing!

I'm over here watching grass grow, hoping there's going to be a season this fall...

nteqqsOg8YnVivgvtq9ZbbGuxj251d0GTioiHr6B

I will eat crow if Pittman and Taylor start day one over Mack

and the bevy of vet receivers in our stable.

After watching videos of Ballard and Reich gushing about them,

now I'm thinking I may have to search in the fridge for some

A-1 sauce in a few months.

17 hours ago, dodsworth said:

I will eat crow if Pittman and Taylor start day one over Mack

and the bevy of vet receivers in our stable.

After watching videos of Ballard and Reich gushing about them,

now I'm thinking I may have to search in the fridge for some

A-1 sauce in a few months.

Remember these guys may not even have a training camp...or very limited offseason. Reich is going to go with guys he trusts and knows the offense. Taylor might have a bit of an advantage because running the Ball is probably one of the simplest and more instinctual parts of football but even there you need to know your protections etc. I expect both to be worked in slowly.

Archived