Trading Jacoby Brissett

dw49

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Signed a 25M old starter to replace him

Drafted a rook.

I expect them to say good things about JB, but it's pretty clear how they view him. Not saying he doesn't come back next year, but it will take some things to fail, and he's a plan-C at best.

I think they view him as a good backup. A really good backup. That's what he is.

I've always said, if the starter gets hurt for a month, I want a backup that gives us a chance to go 2-2. JB can do that. He did that last year. And we've seen some really bad backup QB play over the years in Indy, right? So we know how bad it can get. 

Now, I don't see full time starter potential in JB, but he's in the upper echelon of backups. What makes the situation with the Colts different is that he's being paid like an entrenched starter. 

It's unlikely, I think, but if Rivers is one and done and we want to move on to Eason in 2021, JB would be a good backup option for us. I think he'll want another chance to be a starter, but the NFL isn't desperate for QBs like they were in years past. Jameis Winston led the league in yards and was second in TDs, and he's now basically QB3, making minimum salary. So if he was willing to take a moderate backup contract and stay in the mix for the Colts, I'd be fine with that.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think they view him as a good backup. A really good backup. That's what he is.

I've always said, if the starter gets hurt for a month, I want a backup that gives us a chance to go 2-2. JB can do that. He did that last year. And we've seen some really bad backup QB play over the years in Indy, right? So we know how bad it can get. 

Now, I don't see full time starter potential in JB, but he's in the upper echelon of backups. What makes the situation with the Colts different is that he's being paid like an entrenched starter. 

It's unlikely, I think, but if Rivers is one and done and we want to move on to Eason in 2021, JB would be a good backup option for us. I think he'll want another chance to be a starter, but the NFL isn't desperate for QBs like they were in years past. Jameis Winston led the league in yards and was second in TDs, and he's now basically QB3, making minimum salary. So if he was willing to take a moderate backup contract and stay in the mix for the Colts, I'd be fine with that.

I agree with all of this. I think JB is a good back up too, and would love him to stay, but at back up pay (and his acceptance of the backup role). I do think he wants to try and start somewhere, I just don't see a market for him at all right now. The obvious team (NE) doesn't even seem to have come calling. I think of him simply as a low ceiling and cautious GM that won't lose you many games, but won't win you many either. 

If I had my pick though of backups between JB and Winston, I'd pick Winston though. I think Reich's O scheme and style would be of great benefit to him. Regardless, him signing for 1M has reset the market to some extent. Really strange year for all things QB... 

31 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't know why so many people are convinced that there's something wrong with having three QBs. 

I have no issue with 3 QB. I was thinking more after this year. Paying Jacoby wouldn’t be smart with  guy on a rookie contract. We are stuck this year pretty much. But why pay him in 2021 as a backup. Thinking more of salary cap with the guys we need to pay.

On 4/25/2020 at 2:59 PM, Jdubu said:

I’d still take a 5th round pick for next season or this draft. Just get that contract off our books and let’s move on from JB experience 

I'm not sure you could even get a conditional 7th in 2021 at this time.

30 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

No problem with three quarterbacks. I'd rather use the money for Brissett on a defensive end, or even an offensive lineman. I'd keep Kelly and Eason.

I’d also go Kelly and Eason as the back up. JB, if I were GM, would have to take a pay cut to minimum salary, knowing he had already extracted big cash from us. I’d also give him incentives to allow him to make up some cash if he were to need to become the starter for injury reasons etc... But personally, I’d just cut him altogether, trust that my oline is going to keep Rivers upright all year and develop both CK and Eason for the upcoming season. I’d want to know what we have in the backup department and keeping JB in is going to inhibit time with the ball in hand for those two. JB is a detriment moving forward imho because everyone knows, he has zero chance to be out future. 

20 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I'm not sure you could even get a conditional 7th in 2021 at this time.

I definitely agree, I was being more hopeful and  if someone wanted a QB from the draft this year and they missed, maybe they could see JB as the stop gap to next years draft. 

9 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I’d also go Kelly and Eason as the back up. JB, if I were GM, would have to take a pay cut to minimum salary, knowing he had already extracted big cash from us. I’d also give him incentives to allow him to make up some cash if he were to need to become the starter for injury reasons etc... But personally, I’d just cut him altogether, trust that my oline is going to keep Rivers upright all year and develop both CK and Eason for the upcoming season. I’d want to know what we have in the backup department and keeping JB in is going to inhibit time with the ball in hand for those two. JB is a detriment moving forward imho because everyone knows, he has zero chance to be out future. 

Why waste time on restructuring a contract that is set to expire

CK is not under contract for 2021 either

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Why waste time on restructuring a contract that is set to expire

CK is not under contract for 2021 either

It’s true that CK isn’t under contract next year but if you wanted to hedge your bets on developing a guy further, would it be a young guy like CK or JB who you’ve seen in action extensively? The reason to restructure JB would only be if you felt like he was absolutely QB2 for this year. Look at the years prior that we’ve had Painter and others backing up PM and then what we kept to back up Luck because for the most part, they were always healthy during the season and on the field. More so for PM than with Luck but if the logic applies that Rivers isn’t going to come off the field because he has been an Ironman, you go with youth and see if either has potential as the starter next year. It’s always possible that CK signs an extension if he stays on. It’s quite possible he doesn’t either. Idk, whatever they decide to do, I’ll be fine with.  

7 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

It’s true that CK isn’t under contract next year but if you wanted to hedge your bets on developing a guy further, would it be a young guy like CK or JB who you’ve seen in action extensively? The reason to restructure JB would only be if you felt like he was absolutely QB2 for this year. Look at the years prior that we’ve had Painter and others backing up PM and then what we kept to back up Luck because for the most part, they were always healthy during the season and on the field. More so for PM than with Luck but if the logic applies that Rivers isn’t going to come off the field because he has been an Ironman, you go with youth and see if either has potential as the starter next year. It’s always possible that CK signs an extension if he stays on. It’s quite possible he doesn’t either. Idk, whatever they decide to do, I’ll be fine with.  

Jim Sorgi was PM backup and was good at his job

The Colts have the money to keep JB 

3 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

That's interesting. How many times did we make the playoffs with Peyton and basically no backup? Do I need to find the Tom Moore quote to prove it?

Sorry.

Why don't you check with the team's current general manager.    His name is Chris Ballard.   He's widely quoted all over this website.

Good luck.

3 hours ago, rayski said:

100%, worst WR group in the league last year. Only completing 6 passes deep is insane. 

It didn't help matters any that Funchess, our #2 WR got hurt in week one.

It didn't help that Campbell,  was hurt throughout the season.

It didn't help that both Fountain and Cain were not ready due to injuries.

This wasn't the worst WR group in the league when the season started.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

It didn't help matters any that Funchess, our #2 WR got hurt in week one.

It didn't help that Campbell,  was hurt throughout the season.

It didn't help that both Fountain and Cain were not ready due to injuries.

This wasn't the worst WR group in the league when the season started.

It wasn’t but it quickly got there because of injuries and inconsistencies 

3 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

That's interesting. How many times did we make the playoffs with Peyton and basically no backup? Do I need to find the Tom Moore quote to prove it?

Sorry.

Peyton Manning if not the GOAT, is top 3 ever and not ever got injured in 13 years. Nobody is like him anymore, it is always good to have a solid backup in today's game.

10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

What part of Ballard saying he wants an experienced QB to be Rivers back up do you not understand? Geez, it's not rocket science. 

Well, when GM’s are 100% of the time honest in every quote they provide, I guess at that time. You also may have missed my line at the end that said whatever they do, I’m fine. 

this is a message board where differences appear. Until I or others are listed as an NFL GM, nobody’s opinions matter here. What part of that statement do YOU not understand? 

I’ll never understand why people posting on a message board have to feel like they either know it all, can evaluate talent better than the teams, or feel 100% confident that their opinions are more fact than anyone else here so they try and belittle any other poster that has a different viewpoint. Dear god! 

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Sorgi was a quality backup

Indeed, he was but not really ever called upon. And Curtis Painter was not.  And Bill Polian knew it and convinced Kerry Collins to 'un-retire to fill in for Peyton; and the whole Collins. Painter, Orlovsky fiasco got him fired.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Brissett is a lot better than he was, our team was confident that Peyton would stay healthy and luckily he did. Sorgi would've got us no where, I like the guy but truth.

I agree but as I said earlier he role was to help prepare PM and even defense for each week

I consider someone quality when they know their role and do it to a + job

13 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Indeed, he was but not ever called upon. And Curtis Painter was not.  And Bill Polian knew it and convinced Kerry Collins to 'un-retire to fill in for Peyton; and the whole Collins. Painter, Orlovsky fiasco got him fired.

At least in my book it was the last nail in his coffin

The first is when he cut Ken Dilger 

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

I agree but as I said earlier he role was to help prepare PM and even defense for each week

I consider someone quality when they now their role and do it to a + job

He had the best job in the world for years no doubt. Made a few mill, got a ring, and could coach a little. That is the life.

17 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Well, when GM’s are 100% of the time honest in every quote they provide, I guess at that time. You also may have missed my line at the end that said whatever they do, I’m fine. 

this is a message board where differences appear. Until I or others are listed as an NFL GM, nobody’s opinions matter here. What part of that statement do YOU not understand? 

I’ll never understand why people posting on a message board have to feel like they either know it all, can evaluate talent better than the teams, or feel 100% confident that their opinions are more fact than anyone else here so they try and belittle any other poster that has a different viewpoint. Dear god! 

Evidently the shoe must have fit. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Peyton Manning if not the GOAT, is top 3 ever and not ever got injured in 13 years. Nobody is like him anymore, it is always good to have a solid backup in today's game.

Not many, I agree.

My argument, and that of others, is that Brissett isn't any better than others we could have in that role. He had two chances, and it didn't work.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He had the best job in the world for years no doubt. Made a few mill, got a ring, and could coach a little. That is the life.

Not really. Peyton made sure every QB on the team prepared as hard and tirelessly as himself. And everyone the knew Peyton knew it was thorough and gruesome. Manning never took for granted being an NFL QB, and his work ethic year after year demonstrated it.

Sorgi always said he had prepared to, and was expected to, win if called upon.  He just knew Peyton was better at executing, but was just as prepared each and every week, because Manning demanded it.  Jim's career stats aren't shabby, either-

CMP  ATT       %       YDS     TD    INT

99      156     63.5      929        6       1

Highlights-

I think JB is as good as JS was, but much more expensive.

10 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

Not many, I agree.

My argument, and that of others, is that Brissett isn't any better than others we could have in that role. He had two chances, and it didn't work.

Brissett's first year he came in with no training camp and had to play in Pagano's offense.

Last year he had the team at a 5-2 record before he had the MCL injury, and that affected his mechanics over the second half of the season. I don't understand why people are acting like Jacoby is the worst quarterback ever or something. 

He isn't and never was going to be our future at quarterback. He will be gone next year. I don't know why people are so against him being on the team this year, he has proven he can win games when healthy. 

The way people talk about him on here, I don't understand how you guys think we would get anything for trading him.

Archived