Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trading Jacoby Brissett

dw49

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I highly doubt Ballard will move Brissett this season. 

If he was interested in moving him he wouldn't have paid him his roster bonus. 

IMO Brissett will be around to be the back up to Rivers this season.

What happens after that is the question? 

He had to pay the bonus...it gtd in September the previous season.

27 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

I don't believe Jacoby is in the future plans for the Colts after drafting Eason. To save face for Jacoby, he needs to get out of Dodge and try to be a legitimate back up elsewhere. The Colts should honor that wish for him.

It really is best for all parties. He should be able to recoup a good portion of that base salary...but more importantly...he gets a shot to play and not enter FA as a backup...who his team signed a FA and drafted a 4th round QB to replace.

Plus, he doesn’t have to answer questions about it.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

The dead hit would of and still does contain the roster bonus. It was guaranteed in 2019. Only way the Colts wouldn't of had to pay it, is if they traded him prior to it paying out. Would of had to pay the roster bonus even if we cut him before it paid out.

Check your facts.

Yep...they would have had to find a team willing to eat that bonus as well.

But I think a post June 1 trade would cut the dead cap somewhat.

Yeah, I don't think we trade Brissett. I don't think Eason should play at all this season. I hope he has a chip on his shoulder because him falling to the 4th is proof that some of the knocks on him were widely shared beliefs across the scouting community. I think that if Rivers got hurt and Eason were asked to step in, then it'd be a bad thing. He needs to earn his chance by putting in at least a full season of hard work developing and learning how to play as a pro. 

32 minutes ago, funktacious2 said:

Yeah, I don't think we trade Brissett. I don't think Eason should play at all this season. I hope he has a chip on his shoulder because him falling to the 4th is proof that some of the knocks on him were widely shared beliefs across the scouting community. I think that if Rivers got hurt and Eason were asked to step in, then it'd be a bad thing. He needs to earn his chance by putting in at least a full season of hard work developing and learning how to play as a pro. 

I don't think that Jacoby, unless some team this year makes an offer will get cut or traded, A lot can happen down the line, depending on a teams desperation on their current injury to there current starting QB. His stock could go up like what happened to the Eagles a couple of years ago with their franchise QB going down, and Jacoby doing close to the same thing. So there is a lot of other things that can play out during the year.  I know that I'm going old school but at the time.

Nobody thought that Earl Morrow would step in and lead the Colts like Unitas to the Super Bowl. Are even more recently , When Trent Green got injured and here you have this Grocery Clerk " Kurt Warner thrust into the starting role to lead the Rams into the Greatest Show on turf role. Hey sometimes history can be made when least expected. 

5 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

I'd rather have Kelly than Brissett - time to move on.

IMO that is not happening this season. 

I just don't think Ballard is going to trust the back up roll with anyone besides JB this season. 

With the drafting of Eason I think it will be Kelly that will be gone. Kelly has been here long enough but has yet to impress the coaches that he is ready to be a back up let alone a starter. 

On 4/25/2020 at 3:41 PM, dgambill said:

Uhh he was mr irrelevant....he has had more opportunities than many many qbs that didn’t have the family tree to keep them in the league. He has done nothing to suggest he is anything but a practice arm.

Then cut him. BTW he never did anything egregious unlike Jameis Winton who was up for sexual assault until he bought off his accuser. Also he was injured at the time of the draft so his stock was way down. 

15 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

Yep. Similar condition to Dalton who was just cut.

Probable June 1 casualty.

Problem is that June 1 only helps you if you have multiple years remaining on the contract.  It basically takes the signing bonus for this year and makes it dead money and puts the remainder against next year's salary cap.  (A pre June 1 cut would put all the guaranteed money against this year's cap)

It seems to me that they intend on keeping Brissett as a extremly highly compensated backup. 

To be fair they could only save just shy of 8 M against the cap by cutting him.  So in terms of the cut vs keep debate you can look at it like this.  Would you sign JB on a 1 year, 8M contract to be your back up QB?  Keeping in mind that JB has familiarity with the playbook, coaching staff and teammates.  

It takes a while for NFL QBs to develop. Brissett seemed to be on an excellent path until the injury hampered his accuracy (and confidence?). Just remember with a bit better place kicking Jacoby could have started 6-1 last year. Unless Jacob Eason proves to be an apparent world beater, I would hang on to JB.

On 4/25/2020 at 5:47 PM, Thunderbolt said:

I don't believe Jacoby is in the future plans for the Colts after drafting Eason. To save face for Jacoby, he needs to get out of Dodge and try to be a legitimate back up elsewhere. The Colts should honor that wish for him.

I think Jacoby is still an option tbh. I really truly think the coaches aren't lying when they say they feel good about him. If Eason still needs to develop and Rivers retires next year, I'd bet that we try and make a deal with Jacoby. And with the way things are shaping up I could see us getting him on another 1 or two year deal. People may hate it, but I'd be for it. Because if there is one thing regarding quarterback I can't agree with Ballard more on it's that we can't force the QB situation. I personally thought Brissett felt like a mid-low range starting QB, meaning I think he's better than your traditional backup. I think he's better than trying to pick up some random veteran like we did Hoyer. We can't rely on next years draft to land us a star at the position and we might not be lucky to have a veteran like Rivers to come available. Obviously this is all contigent upon if Rivers re-ups and if Eason/Kelly show they're ready.

2 minutes ago, funktacious2 said:

I think Jacoby is still an option tbh. I really truly think the coaches aren't lying when they say they feel good about him. If Eason still needs to develop and Rivers retires next year, I'd bet that we try and make a deal with Jacoby. And with the way things are shaping up I could see us getting him on another 1 or two year deal. People may hate it, but I'd be for it. Because if there is one thing regarding quarterback I can't agree with Ballard more on it's that we can't force the QB situation. I personally thought Brissett felt like a mid-low range starting QB, meaning I think he's better than your traditional backup. I think he's better than trying to pick up some random veteran like we did Hoyer. We can't rely on next years draft to land us a star at the position and we might not be lucky to have a veteran like Rivers to come available. Obviously this is all contigent upon if Rivers re-ups and if Eason/Kelly show they're ready.

Signed a 25M old starter to replace him

Drafted a rook.

I expect them to say good things about JB, but it's pretty clear how they view him. Not saying he doesn't come back next year, but it will take some things to fail, and he's a plan-C at best.

All you have to do is look at the colts actions. No matter what they say the actions show they are not happy with his play. The media doesn’t get this either. Even if rivers is a unique situation you don’t go sign him if you are so in love with Jacoby. 

Maybe  Jacoby stays as a backup. Maybe a backup to a young QB after rivers retires. The colts are going to have to realize keeping three QB on the roster is not in the best interest of a young QB. I will give them this year but after that decisions need to be made. Not the best money to spend on him as a backup either when you have a young QB on a cheap deal also.

32 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

All you have to do is look at the colts actions. No matter what they say the actions show they are not happy with his play. The media doesn’t get this either. Even if rivers is a unique situation you don’t go sign him if you are so in love with Jacoby. 

Maybe  Jacoby stays as a backup. Maybe a backup to a young QB after rivers retires. The colts are going to have to realize keeping three QB on the roster is not in the best interest of a young QB. I will give them this year but after that decisions need to be made. Not the best money to spend on him as a backup either when you have a young QB on a cheap deal also.

Alex, I'll take Winston for $1 Million please (as a backup).

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Signed a 25M old starter to replace him

Drafted a rook.

I expect them to say good things about JB, but it's pretty clear how they view him. Not saying he doesn't come back next year, but it will take some things to fail, and he's a plan-C at best.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

No one is saying the Colts are in love with JB. However, the only thing that is clear is that the Colts thought Rivers should be an upgrade to Brissett. I think the same principle can be applied to next offseason. If they don't have someone clearly better than him available, I think we could see him re-signed. Which is why I replied to the OP about JB not being in the future plans for the Colts. Long term? Highly doubtful. But I wouldn't dismiss yet the possibility of him being an option after this season. I do agree, Eaststreet, that this would require some things to fail, such as Eason being a bust or still needing to develop and Rivers retiring, getting hurt or whatever. But I don't think those are huge "ifs". Gotta have a plan. There's going to be some big questions after the season ends and before FA next year.

The only way Jacoby becomes a starter in 2021 is rivers retires and Eason isn’t the guy. So many things would have to go wrong. They can be in love with Jacoby the person but it’s clear by their actions they don’t think he can be a starter. If rivers plays in 2021 and Eason develops and shows enough it would be a huge waste of money to keep 3 QB and keep Jacoby as the backup. Not convinced though the colts will let Jacoby go after 2020. They probably bring him back as a backup.

On 4/25/2020 at 3:23 PM, shastamasta said:

Yep...they would have had to find a team willing to eat that bonus as well.

But I think a post June 1 trade would cut the dead cap somewhat.

But why?   Why would we cut him post June 1?   Who would be the backup?

All of our moves says we’re trying to make a big push this year.   If we cut JB, WHO is the backup?   Kelly?  Eason?

And for what?   To save money we don’t need to save?   Cutting JB would be a HUGE risk.   Sends the exact wrong message to the locker room. 

I don’t see the upside and see only downside to the idea...

On 4/25/2020 at 3:32 PM, Nate! said:

He’s untradeable.  Albatross contract that was terrible the moment Ballard gave it to him.  Just no upside for the franchise to give him that deal.  Good for Jacoby to get the millions he did.  I’m jealous 

Jacoby got paid 14 times what he should have gotten paid.  He was and is a 2 million dollar player.  I wish they'd pay me 14 times my worth.

I love most of what Ballard has done, but there are two things that really make me wonder if the org is ever going to get serious about winning.  

1.  There should bo ZERO discussion about Adam Vinaieri ever playing football for the Colts ever again.  He should have been thanked after the KC playoff blowout loss.  It was farcical keeping him after the incompetence he showed early last year.  If they are really talking to him about actually playing football for the team this year, I don't think the team will ever truly reach its potential because it will be obvious that winning is not the highest priority, and the really important effect is that it makes any claim that everyone has to prove their worth to the team sound ludicrous.  (Just ludicrous in Mike Tyson voice.)  

2.  Giving $28 to Jacoby to play another year of football was a goofy, unnecessary terrible move that effects what the club can do this year and effected what it did last year.  JB should have been benched at some point last year, but the money kept him on the field.   I understand wanting to show the team that it was serious after the Luck disaster, but that was ridiculous.  If we would have waited and saw, we would have see that he's no good and is simply a back up that doesn't need a bunch of salary.  The arguments many gave were that he might turn out to be  great and get paid a huge contract.  That never should have been a concern.  There is a lot of salary taken up by this guy.  

We should sign Clowney for two years.  There is no risk there.  If we had JBs contract available (ie. 20+ guaranteed), we could've signed him for 30 or so for two years with Brissett's salary guaranteed.    Some people were talking about Clowney's attitude.  I haven't followed him that closely. What is the problem with it?

The amazing thing about Ballard is that he competed without a real QB.  But professionals who see the de-emphasis on on field production demonstrated by the the AV and JB fiascos, can't help but be skeptical about the actual committment the org has to winning.  There is a tipping point to where goodwill towards veteran players becomes counerproductive and seen as sentimental.

The enticement of vet FAs coming is not going to help the club much.  Young men, not old men (except QB) win football games.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

All of our moves says we’re trying to make a big push this year.   If we cut JB, WHO is the backup?   Kelly?  Eason?

And for what?   To save money we don’t need to save?   Cutting JB would be a HUGE risk.   Sends the exact wrong message to the locker room. 

I guarantee you that none of the offensive players want JB to ever take another snap.  At least the ones who aren't generationally rich.  You can't make no money with JB as the QB.  He makes everyone on the offense worse.

On 4/25/2020 at 4:12 PM, AustexColt said:

I believe that Ballard will trade Brissett if Brissett asks to be traded.  I hope he doesn't. We need him and I think he will improve to be the QB that we think he can be.  

I am starting to believe this as well.......

It will be an interesting camp

In the off chance that both Eason and CK do fantastic in camp.....  it will be an uneasy situation in regards to JB

But.......

My prediction is CK will be out of football in Sept and we will have Eason as 3rd string

In 2021, the $$ commitment to JB is over... he will get a salary that fits with the backup position..... I don’t think it’s with the Colts

But... I don’t really know why, maybe it’s an underdog thing

but I am rooting for CK

4 hours ago, Nickster said:

I guarantee you that none of the offensive players want JB to ever take another snap.  At least the ones who aren't generationally rich.  You can't make no money with JB as the QB.  He makes everyone on the offense worse.

Even if what you say is true — and it’s not, not even a little — it still wouldn’t  matter.   Because JB is STILL the BEST backup on the team.   Period. 

And that’s all that matters.   And the players know it.  

You can’t be a team with aspirations of reaching the playoffs and not have a quality backup.  And that player is Brissett.  Ballard, Reich and Irsay know it.  Even if some if the fans here do not. 

Sorry. 

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Even if what you say is true — and it’s not, not even a little — it still wouldn’t  matter.   Because JB is STILL the BEST backup on the team.   Period. 

You can’t be a team with aspirations of reaching the playoffs and not have a quality backup.  And that player is Brissett.  Ballard, Reich and Irsay know it.  Even if some if the fans here do not. 

Sorry. 

Unitas had Morrall

Griese had Morrall

Montana had Young

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry. 

That's interesting. How many times did we make the playoffs with Peyton and basically no backup? Do I need to find the Tom Moore quote to prove it?

Sorry.

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I tend to agree.  With Jacoby as the back up the Colts may be able to weather a few games if Rivers gets hurt.  

The downside is that Eason (or Kelly) will suffer in their development a little.  

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

I tend to agree.  With Jacoby as the back up the Colts may be able to weather a few games if Rivers gets hurt.  

The downside is that Eason (or Kelly) will suffer in their development a little.  

It will probably help Eason since he will have a year to prepare 

The 3rd QB will probably get the same time as the 2nd during the week and hopefully on game day 

18 hours ago, bleevit said:

It takes a while for NFL QBs to develop. Brissett seemed to be on an excellent path until the injury hampered his accuracy (and confidence?). Just remember with a bit better place kicking Jacoby could have started 6-1 last year. Unless Jacob Eason proves to be an apparent world beater, I would hang on to JB.

To be fair the playcalling wasn't great either, I'm not convinced he can't be better.

10 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

That's interesting. How many times did we make the playoffs with Peyton and basically no backup? Do I need to find the Tom Moore quote to prove it?

Sorry.

Jim Sorgi did his job which was help PM and the defense prepare for every game

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

With no off season work this year we pretty much have to keep Jacoby. They haven’t even got to get Eason in the building and probably won’t until training camp. So we are kind of stuck with 3 QB this year. 

I don't know why so many people are convinced that there's something wrong with having three QBs. 

2 minutes ago, rayski said:

To be fair the playcalling wasn't great either, I'm not convinced he can't be better.

I believe the play calling was a byproduct of the QB play, not the other way around. Reich had a bad game or two, but it was pretty obvious that they were trying to keep JB on track and not ask too much of him.

Archived