Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trading Jacoby Brissett

dw49

Many seem to be clamoring to move him now. I don't think you will see him traded during this draft. He is not really a development player that might develop into a good starting QB. New England IMO is not going to give us their 5th today.

That said , to me , he is a bridge guy that might have some value in August. Some team might have an injury or decide they need a better back up QB. Jacoby's value is providing QB insurance for a contending team .

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brisset camp/pre season arm and Seasonal insurance in case old man rivers gets hurt....Eason, developmental (at least competent back up on the low end/found lightning in a bottle franchise QB of the future) flash forward 2021....Brisset no longer needed Eason back up to Old man Rivers, and or competing for starting spot/ competent back up to drafted Franchise guy.....

Qb's will get hurt in preseason and the colts may get a decent draft pick for  then, if not, cut him and save money. rivers doesnt miss games, so I don't want to have a high dollar backup qb. Kelley would be on the practice squad like last year and the colts will be fine. Love taking this qb chance with upside in the 4th round!

Just now, husker61 said:

Qb's will get hurt in preseason and the colts may get a decent draft pick for  then, if not, cut him and save money. rivers doesnt miss games, so I don't want to have a high dollar backup qb. Kelley would be on the practice squad like last year and the colts will be fine. Love taking this qb chance with upside in the 4th round!

I’d still take a 5th round pick for next season or this draft. Just get that contract off our books and let’s move on from JB experience 

Truth is, and this is not a joke and something to be considered that affects Rivers and Jacoby having one year contracts.

If there is NO season based on Covid, then technically both Rivers and Jacoby are without a contract when football resumes next year. Rivers we would probably resign, but Jacoby would be FA meaning the QB's for 2021 would be Rivers(if resigned), Kelly, and Eason.

53 minutes ago, Indeee said:

If there is NO season based on Covid, then technically both Rivers and Jacoby are without a contract when football resumes next year. 

If Brissett is traded, I'm sure there's a provision stating, no football in 2020, no draft pick.  

9 minutes ago, #12. said:

If Brissett is traded, I'm sure there's a provision stating, no football in 2020, no draft pick.  

What I meant was that JBs contract expires after this season. If there is no season, JB wouldn't need to be traded or released, he will just become a FA next season when football resumes if there is no football this fall

We’d probably almost have to give up a pick just to move him for cap relief. There is zero market for him now. If the Pats won’t even take a late round QB flyer and are taking kickers then they aren’t gonna trade for our overpaid backup. I can’t really think of any team with a more bleak QB situation. If Cam can’t even find a team yet without needing to be traded then Brisket is gonna have negative value. 

I think the Colts will try and remove all of the drama of having him on the team as quickly as they can manage it.  You add more cap space and at the same time remove a potential distraction from an overcrowded QB room that the team doesn't need.  Think about his feelings right now.  He's taken quite a fall.  If they can't find a trade partner they might just cut him quicker than we think.  Ballard will also try to do what's right for Brissett and he just might cut him and get him in the market quickly.  I can see him doing that.  

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think there's a market for him, and that's kind of it, IMO. Either he stays or we cut him, and I think he still has value to the team so it's not likely we cut him. 

This could turn out where after rivers Eason battles it out with Jacoby for the job. Of course that depends on if Ballard doesn’t up grade at QB even more in the next couple of years.  It’s clear this year they were going to do everything in the draft first to upgrade the team for rivers. I am sure they never expected Eason to fall that far. Maybe Eason wins the job and Jacoby ends up being the backup eventually.

28 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I highly doubt Ballard will move Brissett this season. 

If he was interested in moving him he wouldn't have paid him his roster bonus. 

IMO Brissett will be around to be the back up to Rivers this season.

What happens after that is the question? 

The Roster Bonus was guaranteed last year. He didn't have a choice to not pay it, unless he was traded before it paid out. Then other team would have to pay it. 

Just now, w87r said:

The Roster Bonus was guaranteed last year. He didn't have a choice to not pay it, unless he was traded before it paid out. Then other team would have to pay it. 

Yes he did have a choice. He could have cut him and took the dead hit. 

Instead Ballard paid him both the guarantee and the salary. 

This narrative some fans have about Brissett is apparently not shared by Ballard. 

Like it or not Brissett is still listed as a team captain and is valued by Ballard. 

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yes he did have a choice. He could have cut him and took the dead hit. 

Instead Ballard paid him both the guarantee and the salary. 

This narrative some fans have about Brissett is apparently not shared by Ballard. 

Like it or not Brissett is still listed as a team captain and is valued by Ballard. 

The dead hit would of and still does contain the roster bonus. It was guaranteed in 2019. Only way the Colts wouldn't of had to pay it, is if they traded him prior to it paying out. Would of had to pay the roster bonus even if we cut him before it paid out.

Check your facts.

He’s untradeable.  Albatross contract that was terrible the moment Ballard gave it to him.  Just no upside for the franchise to give him that deal.  Good for Jacoby to get the millions he did.  I’m jealous 

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Like I said. IMO Ballard is going to keep Brissett this season to be the back up to Rivers.  If you don't agree that's your prerogative. 

I didn't say that I didn't agree about keeping Brissett.

I disagreed with your reasoning which was based off a false statement.

I'm fine with it either way. Keeping/Trade/Cut

We have what...a 38-39 year old qb...and a 4th rd rookie who is at least 2-3 years away from playing....we need a good backup. You can’t roll the dice on Rivers staying healthy. I think you have to be realistic about that. His value as a back up to us is more than what he likely would fetch.

1 minute ago, blackcoffeeguy said:

Please cut or trade Kelly.  You have 4 QBs now,  one needs to go, I just hope it's Kelly so he can get a real opportunity because he sure isn't going to get one with the Colts. 

Uhh he was mr irrelevant....he has had more opportunities than many many qbs that didn’t have the family tree to keep them in the league. He has done nothing to suggest he is anything but a practice arm.

2 hours ago, rayski said:

Even if we trade him, the value I reckon would be so low. Just too expensive. He would be a good mentor to Eason and highly valued in the locker room so even if it's for one year, so  I'd rather  have him around. 

I agree. With his current contract and the fact that the Colts have given up on him as a possible starter, he will be very difficult to move.

51 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This could turn out where after rivers Eason battles it out with Jacoby for the job. Of course that depends on if Ballard doesn’t up grade at QB even more in the next couple of years.  It’s clear this year they were going to do everything in the draft first to upgrade the team for rivers. I am sure they never expected Eason to fall that far. Maybe Eason wins the job and Jacoby ends up being the backup eventually.

Trust me. There will.be no battle. Rivers is our QB in 2020.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

I never said that. I was talking after rivers retires.

OK. That wasn't clear to me. Then, I will say that Jacoby seems to have lost the trust of the Colts' front office. Once that happens it is very, very hard to get it back. Even Jacoby must know that by now. If I were he I would be looking for a new team. It would only be natural.

1 minute ago, AustexColt said:

I believe that Ballard will trade Brissett if Brissett asks to be traded.  I hope he doesn't. We need him and I think he will improve to be the QB that we think he can be.  

Hold onto that wish. The Colts' front office just brought in both Rivers and Eason. I think your wish is nothing more than a pipe dream.

Jacoby, knows that he is not  a full season QB. He could be an excellent back up for a team. There is no shame in excepting that role as a QB in the NFL. There have been life savors at back up QB for decades ,A lot have become hero's in saving teams that made it all the way. Just check you history in the NFL.  But to make it, pride withstanding , " A man has to know his limitations" 

Archived