Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Danny Pinter OG Ball ST

Matthew Gilbert

Here is the scouting report from the DraftBible

DANNY    PINTER    |    Ball    State    |    OT    |    #75    |    rSR    |    6042    |    306    |    0948    |    3178    |    7778    |    4.91    |    South    Bend,    IN    |    John    Adams    HS    |    06.19.96    |    NFLPAB    |    NIC    |    7.5/8.8    |    Rd3    

Overview:    The    transformation    of    Danny    Pinter    has    an    intriguing    back    story.    Arriving    at    Ball    State    as    a    tight    end,    Pinter    quickly    earned    the    starting    job    and    was    off    to    a    fast    start    until    a    left    foot    
injury    ended    his    season    prematurely    in    2017.    Over    Christmas    break    that    year,    Pinter    would    gain    50    pounds    while    living    back    home    with    his    folks.    When    he    returned    the    following    season,    he    
would    find    himself    atop    the    depth    chart,    at    right    tackle.    Since    then,    the    South    Bend    native    has    started    the    past    two    seasons    (24    games)    at    tackle,    while    garnering    the    attention    of    NFL    scouts    
with    his    footwork,    hand    usage    and    ability    to    finish.    Self    admittedly    struggled    with    the    pass    protection    responsibilities    of    his    position    and    needs    to    learn    how    to    use    his    hands    better.    
Extremely    smart    according    to    coaches    (graduated    with    a    3.71    GPA    in    business    administration    and    has    a    similar    GPA    in    his    quest    for    an    MBA)    and    possesses    the    kind    of    work    ethic    gets    
people’s    attention    —    coaches    and    professors.    He    departed    Pasadena    creating    a    buzz    with    his    fancy,    fluid    footwork,    quick    hips    and    bend.    He    quietly    had    one    of    the    more    impressive    combine    
performasnces    in    Indy,    expect    to    hear    Pinters    name    called    somewhere    in    the    mid-late    rounds.        

Medical:    On    first    play    of    seventh    game    during    2017    season,    Pinter    suffered    a    ligament    injury    in    his    left    foot.    It    necessitated    surgery    and    cost    him    the    rest    of    that    year    and    following    offseason.    

Background:    Arriving    at    Ball    State    as    a    tight    end,    Pinter    quickly    earned    the    starting    job    and    was    off    to    a    fast    start    until    a    left    foot    injury    ended    his    season    prematurely    in    2017.    Over    Christmas    
break    that    year,    Pinter    would    gain    50    pounds    (including    27    pounds    in    23    days    during    the    winter    of    2017).    Full    name    is    Daniel    James    Pinter;    son    of    John    and    Laurie    Pinter,    has    one    brother    and    
one    sister.    Earned    three    letters    in    football    for    coach    Craig    Redman    at    John    Adams    High;    team    captain    as    a    senior.    Registered    27    catches    for    492    yards    with    two    touchdowns    as    a    senior    plus    
tallied    66    tackles,    22    tackles    for    loss,    eight    sacks    and    three    blocked    kicks.    Also    played    basketball    at    Adams,    winning    back-to-back    sectional    titles.    Earned    his    bachelor's    degree    with    a    3.71    GPA.    

Career:    Played    in    43    games,    making    35    starts.    Had    nine    receptions    for    56    receiving    yards    and    one    touchdown;    ran    for    eight    yards    on    two    carries,    two    kick    returns    for    25    yards,    three    tackles.        

Q&A:    When    a    NFL    scout    pops    in    your    game    film,    what    type    of    player    should    he    expect    to    see    (provide    a    self-scouting    report)?    They    should    see    a    high-motor    and    strong    effort    for    all    four    
quarters.    I    pride    myself    on    playing    to    the    whistle    every    play,    and    it    is    something    we    as    a    team    put    a    strong    emphasis    on.    I    try    and    play    the    game    as    physically    as    I    can,    and    my    goal    is    to    always    
be    more    physical    than    my    opponent.    I    believe    I    have    good    athleticism    for    being    a    lineman,    and    try    to    use    that    to    my    advantage.    I    know    I    have    plenty    of    areas    to    improve    in    my    game.    

Q&A:    Who    has    been    the    toughest    opponent    you    have    faced    thus    far    in    your    career,    either    overall    team    or    an    individual?    How    did    you    fare?    We    actually    played    Notre    Dame    in    South    Bend    in    
2018.    It    was    the    second    game    of    the    year    and    they    were    ranked    No.8    in    the    country,    coming    off    a    win    against    Michigan.    I    also    went    against    Julian    Okwara    and    Khalid    Kareem    the    whole    game.    
I    think    I    fared    pretty    well    and    held    my    own.    It    was    only    my    second    ever    game    playing    tackle,    so    I    would    have    loved    the    opportunity    to    play    them    again    with    more    experience    under    my    belt.    
As    a    team,    we    took    them    down    to    the    wire    and    ended    up    losing    24-16.    It’s    still    frustrating    to    look    back    on    because    we    played    our    hearts    out    and    feel    like    we    were    close    to    winning    the    game.        

Q&A:    What    is    something    people    might    not    know    about    you    or    something    that    separates    you    from    other    players?    I    think    my    path    to    and    through    Ball    State    is    unique.    Ball    State    was    my    only    D-1
offer    and    it    came    two    weeks    before    signing    day    because    one    of    their    tight    ends    had    quit.    I    was    committed    to    a    D2    school    before.    In    addition,    I    came    in    as    a    tight    end    and    played    it    for    three    
years,    being    a    starter    as    well.    The    next    year    my    coaches    asked    me    to    transition    to    tackle    and    I    added    50    pounds    to    do    so.    I    also    will    have    earned    a    Master’s    degree    by    the    end    of    the    spring.    

I hope everyone can read it. 

Let me try again, that first was unreadable.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From his scouting report

Career:    Played    in    43    games,    making    35    starts.    Had    nine    receptions    for    56    receiving    yards    and    one    touchdown;    ran    for    eight    yards    on    two    carries,    two    kick    returns    for    25    yards,    three    tackles.    

So the Colts have a backup punter in Q. Nelson and now a backup returner in Pinter.

4 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

From his scouting report

So the Colts have a backup punter in Q. Nelson and now a backup returner in Pinter.

Off topic but I really want to see Q punt.  Or fake punt and just steamroll an unlucky CB trying to block the punt.

5 minutes ago, Catloaf said:

Off topic but I really want to see Q punt.  Or fake punt and just steamroll an unlucky CB trying to block the punt.

There was a video last year, the Jags (I think it was Jags), almost hit Q with a punt. The 2nd time it happened, he just punted it back.  Looked like a good kick.

I was able to find two videos.

Ball State vs NC State 2019

Ball State vs Notre Dame 2018

The Notre Dame game was Pinter's 2nd game as a tackle.  But watching these two games, you can see why the Colts were interested in him.

One you can see him struggle a bit vs ND. But you can also see the movement, the feet and the balance that just seems to come natural too him.  Then in the NC State game you can see how much he improved in just over a year of playing.

Most people know, I kind of geek out on lineman, but I am really looking forward to watching this kid in preseason.  But watching these two games, the former Colt he reminds me of is Ryan Lilja, he's just so fluid and natural in his movement it almost look effortless.  He needs to learn to get his hands up faster and to lock onto the defender and get strong enough to lock out his arms.  But he appears to be a great zone blocking iOL prospect.

Archived