Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Danny Pinter OG Ball ST

Matthew Gilbert

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Braden Smith was also one of the strongest in that draft class. He's also a couple inches taller than Pinter.

Either way, I doubt the Colts intend to pigeon hole him at guard if he shows himself capable of playing tackle. He'll probably be allowed to compete at every position.

I like what little I've seen of Pinter. He's a smooth mover and I like his hands.

ABC seemed to think he could be a center too.  The Colts don’t really have a backup center so it wouldn’t shock me if they kick him inside too.  More likely you are right he’s going to be the Haeg that can’t play most if not all positions on the line.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

ABC seemed to think he could be a center too.  The Colts don’t really have a backup center so it wouldn’t shock me if they kick him inside too.  More likely you are right he’s going to be the Haeg that can’t play most if not all positions on the line.

That's probably dependent on his mental grasp, and whether he can handle snapping the ball. But that makes sense. 

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

Braden Smith was also one of the strongest in that draft class. He's also a couple inches taller than Pinter.

Either way, I doubt the Colts intend to pigeon hole him at guard if he shows himself capable of playing tackle. He'll probably be allowed to compete at every position.

I like what little I've seen of Pinter. He's a smooth mover and I like his hands.

Yeah didn’t want to make it sound like he should be a starting tackle...just that he can be a Swiss Army knife for us and play any position if he works at the technique given his size and quickness.

2 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

Danny Pinter has an unbelievable RAS (Relative Athletic Score) of 9.61 out of 10!

Elite speed grade and great explosion grade, but he has shorter than desirable arm length at 31.875 inches. 

He is a longshot at being a quality starter someday. Gonna have to add some serious power to his core and that arm length is a big problem. 

45 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

ABC says he will play guard or center in the NFL because of his short arms.  They did say he could play some emergency tackle.  They also said he could be developed into a starter and has some nasty to him.  He’s very athletic.  

The more I learn about this kid the more I like him.

didnt they say the same about braden smith our starting tackle who was drafted as a guard?

1 hour ago, Dr. T said:

Danny Pinter has an unbelievable RAS (Relative Athletic Score) of 9.61 out of 10!

Elite speed grade and great explosion grade, but he has shorter than desirable arm length at 31.875 inches. 

Good thing Staff has him as an interior guy rather than on the outside???  LOL, arm length

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Sounds like a good depth guy who can play every position but center.  He also played some tight end at ball state.  Could be a trick play guy too.  Add him to Paterson who missed last year with the injury and the Colts should have a little depth on the line that’s good.  Could probably use another tackle though.

I'd keep him on the oline. 

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

31.5 inch arms is going to limit what he can do at T, and against NFL competition in general.

Its okay, its round 5. 

Did you listen to the Ballard presser today ? Sounded like this may have been his favorite pick. He said they tried for an hour to trade up for him. 

8 hours ago, Superman said:

That's probably dependent on his mental grasp, and whether he can handle snapping the ball. But that makes sense. 

Just listened to all the pressers on Colts.com. They love this guy and they did mention watching him making snaps and feel he's a guard -center. Said he could probably play some tackle in a pinch. 

Anyone else notice....?

The kid’s arms were measured at 31.875.  That’s 7/8ths.

Then, as the thread continued, suddenly they were magically shortened to 31.5.    Thats 3/8ths shorter.   Hmm?

Who knows....  in a year or two they will get shorter and shorter.  Then ESPN will want to do a feature on the O-lineman who was born without arms!       :funny:

On 4/25/2020 at 1:43 PM, GoColts8818 said:

ABC says he will play guard or center in the NFL because of his short arms.  They did say he could play some emergency tackle.  They also said he could be developed into a starter and has some nasty to him.  He’s very athletic.  

The more I learn about this kid the more I like him.

Unless his hands are attached directly to his shoulders, his arms are long enough for him to be (by default) the 6th best OL man the Colts have.

15 minutes ago, egg said:

Ballard said they tried to move UP to get him, but couldn't.

I was looking to see if anyone else had mentioned this. He said they tried for 30 minutes to move up and get him because they wanted him that badly. Luckily for us he was still there (as unsurprising as that may seem), but it shows a lot obviously about what the team things of him as has me excited. It's also worth noting he specifically pegged him as a OG/C type but did say that briefly before acknowledging he can play tackle.

1 hour ago, egg said:

Unless his hands are attached directly to his shoulders, his arms are long enough for him to be (by default) the 6th best OL man the Colts have.

I think even in his most private moments, Ballard would dispute your view of the backup OL on the roster.   You may be right a year or two from now,  I just don’t think you’re right today.  

Just my two cents. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think even in his most private moments, Ballard would dispute your view of the backup OL on the roster.   You may be right a year or two from now,  I just don’t think you’re right today.  

Just my two cents. 

What non-starting  OL men now on the Colts' roster do you think are good players?

3 hours ago, egg said:

What non-starting  OL men now on the Colts' roster do you think are good players?

I think the OL that end up as our backup OL will be decent BACKUP linemen.   And that’s what most teams have.  Quality backup lineman.  Don’t think any are ready to start.   Let’s hope it doesn’t get to that. 

On 4/25/2020 at 2:56 PM, GoColts8818 said:

He’s everything you want in a backup lineman which is what the Colts need.  Could be developed for the future as well as some of the starters contracts come up.

If he improves everything he needs to improve he could be a starter somewhere in the next year to 2 years.

22 hours ago, dw49 said:

Did you listen to the Ballard presser today ? Sounded like this may have been his favorite pick. He said they tried for an hour to trade up for him. 

After that interview I was very curious who this player was Ballard got gitty just talking about him.

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the OL that end up as our backup OL will be decent BACKUP linemen.   And that’s what most teams have.  Quality backup lineman.  Don’t think any are ready to start.   Let’s hope it doesn’t get to that. 

If you look at the current roster, it doesn't look good as far as proven players go.

There are 5 guys that are 1st year practice squad types who have never been on a 53 man roster.

Then there are 2 "veterans" ; Donnel (T) drafted by the Rams in 2015 then cut in 2017. He was signed by the Ravens, then cut in 2017. Signed and cut by the Lions in 2018. Signed and cut by the Dolphins in 2019.

Chaz Green (G); drafted by the Cowboys in 2015 and cut in 2017. Signed and cut by the Saints in 2018. Signed and cut by the Raiders in 2018. Out of the NFL in 2019.

Yes there is L. Clark. who has plenty of NFL game experience with the Colts. In my opinion he is not a good back-up. 

I'm hoping when teams trim there rosters the Colts will be able to sign one or two vets who are on the downside of their careers, but still serviceable.

59 minutes ago, egg said:

If you look at the current roster, it doesn't look good as far as proven players go.

There are 5 guys that are 1st year practice squad types who have never been on a 53 man roster.

Then there are 2 "veterans" ; Donnel (T) drafted by the Rams in 2015 then cut in 2017. He was signed by the Ravens, then cut in 2017. Signed and cut by the Lions in 2018. Signed and cut by the Dolphins in 2019.

Chaz Green (G); drafted by the Cowboys in 2015 and cut in 2017. Signed and cut by the Saints in 2018. Signed and cut by the Raiders in 2018. Out of the NFL in 2019.

Yes there is L. Clark. who has plenty of NFL game experience with the Colts. In my opinion he is not a good back-up. 

I'm hoping when teams trim there rosters the Colts will be able to sign one or two vets who are on the downside of their careers, but still serviceable.

I agree. We definitely need to bring in a solid backup Lineman. Whether it’s a T or G. Hopefully they’ll be one available like you said. 

3 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I agree. We definitely need to bring in a solid backup Lineman. Whether it’s a T or G. Hopefully they’ll be one available like you said. 

In Pinter's Colts.com chat, he mentioned in his report he was listed as a 3rd to 5th round prospect (and this is the official report that all draft eligible players receive, not some website grade for him).  Coming from a school like Ball state, that means he has a 2nd round skill set, but he loses a round because of level of competition and perhaps another round because of technique, someone like that, with the lesser competition can get away without proper technique because of their physical traits.

I know nothing about Pinter other than what I've read and heard since he was drafted, so I have no idea how good or bad he is.  Just talking about how the NFL draft views players like that.

Archived