Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Danny Pinter OG Ball ST

Matthew Gilbert

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pinter was a two-time All-State selection as a tight end/defender at South Bend's John Adams High School, but Notre Dame did not come calling for his services. He redshirted for Ball State in 2015 before starting five of 12 games played the following year at tight end (three receptions, 10 yards). Pinter started six of seven games played at tight end as a junior (six receptions, 46 yards, 7.7 average, one touchdown) but was injured on the first play of the game against Central Michigan and missed the rest of the year. Coaches moved Pinter to right tackle for 2018 and he played well enough to earn the team's Dave McClain Leadership Award, named after the former head coach at Ball State and Wisconsin who passed away from heart failure. He completed his career as a first-team All-MAC pick, team Most Outstanding Player, and 12-game starter on the right side.

Sounds like a good depth guy who can play every position but center.  He also played some tight end at ball state.  Could be a trick play guy too.  Add him to Paterson who missed last year with the injury and the Colts should have a little depth on the line that’s good.  Could probably use another tackle though.

Provides depth at OG and OT.  Since he has decent speed for an OL and has a TE background, would be a good tackle eligible option on short yardage plays.  

I can imagine that, with Nix, our new big FB, Johnathan Taylor at RB, and WR Pittman split out wide.  Plus he is local boy from Ball St.

ABC says he will play guard or center in the NFL because of his short arms.  They did say he could play some emergency tackle.  They also said he could be developed into a starter and has some nasty to him.  He’s very athletic.  

The more I learn about this kid the more I like him.

19 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Yea no idea who that is, but hey we needed oline depth.

!

18 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Solid backup with good potential to develop potentially to a starter. Has a lot to work on, but a very smart player. At worst he is good depth!

!

15 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Ran a 4.91 40......holy smokes. Guess he can pull and reach the second level - something Glo struggled with last year.....

Height: 6-4, Weight: 306

Supreme athlete who played tackle in college. Bound for guard in NFL. Stellar balance, lateral recovery against inside moves. Needs to get stronger. Colts continue to strengthen their elite offensive line. (Chris Trapasso)

16 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Would this guy not have been available later?

Possibly, but I doubt he would last another another 33 picks.  I feel CB is killing it so far.
But we have to how the guys can learn and get involved in a very different NFL season.

9 minutes ago, dw49 said:

So we should have traded down ?

From 149 to where? To get who? With who?

You trade to get more picks only if you know you can get guys you target at later slots. If a guy you want is there, your next pick is another 33 slots away, and team don't want to trade up (or driving a hard bargain) then you take the guy and move on.

6 minutes ago, MrPreGame said:

Louis Riddick just said nothing but good things about Pinter. Said if he had longer arms he would be a great T prospect.

Wasn’t that what they said about Braden Smith..and he is doing ok at RT. If the kid has good feet and technique he can make up for it.

Pinter seems like an athletic and explosive player, who played RT in college, but will have to transition to the inside of the line in the pros because of lack of length. Haven't watched him, but he seems like a good project for a team that trusts its OL coaching:

For whatever it's worth PFF has him ranked as their 125th player in the draft:

https://www.pff.com/draft/big-board

Pinter is the perfect tackle-guard/center convert for a zone-heavy scheme. He has all the athleticism you could want but just needs to continue to add to his play strength to hold up against NFL defensive tackles.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Wasn’t that what they said about Braden Smith..and he is doing ok at RT. If the kid has good feet and technique he can make up for it.

Braden Smith was also one of the strongest in that draft class. He's also a couple inches taller than Pinter.

Either way, I doubt the Colts intend to pigeon hole him at guard if he shows himself capable of playing tackle. He'll probably be allowed to compete at every position.

I like what little I've seen of Pinter. He's a smooth mover and I like his hands.

Archived