Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Jacob Eason QB Washington

CR91

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eason's dad said his son is a life-long Colts fan and often wore his Manning jersey everywhere. He has a collection of Colts items. Whatever the so-called issues are may be a thing of the past now that he has a chance to play for his favorite team. Kind of a dream come true I would say.

On 4/25/2020 at 12:20 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Mort isn’t the only guy saying these things.   EVERYONE IS.   Why do you think someone with his physical tools lasts until the middle of R4?   The kid has issues. 

Could be his lack of play time is the reason he went when he did.

2 minutes ago, King Colt said:

He started 25 games in college.   I’m sure he needs more time.   I think we’re the perfect team for Eason.  I’m glad we drafted him where we did.  I’m only saying the kid had issues in college.  I hope he outgrows them with us.  

48 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I think teams this year were less inclined to take on a project because there were so many FA QB this year. They went out and got bridge QB and concentrated on other needs. Look at Carolina. Going out and getting Teddy allowed them to build that defense instead of taking a QB In the first round.  Teams weren’t as needy at the QB position as usual. 

Eason basically admitted the reports were from earlier in his career. He says you don’t see things behind the scenes and he has grown and matured. I think he seems to have a competitive spirit like rivers. At least that is what I got from his interviews.

All though 4th rd QB typically don’t become stars. There is a lot more to that then just being 4th rd. How many of them were drafted to just be a backup. What kind of situation are they drafted into. I like how Eason seemed very grateful to be drafted into this situation. The colts were the perfect team. They have no long term future QB. You have a coach that played QB. A Veteran QB that has the same playing styling. I don’t think Eason is quite the statue Rivers is. I think he can roll out just fine.  Rivers is very smart. Eason needs to follow him around and become a sponge. Because he was a 4th rd pick he might only have this season to make a impression. Ballard won’t hold back next draft if he doesn’t see something there and the work ethic. If he sees something this year he might be willing to hold off using draft picks to move way up in the draft. Eason has one year to make a first impression.

2 hours ago, coming on strong said:

jordon love will be the best QB in this draft followed by eason .  i dont like burrow or tua or herbert

Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning. Ryan Leaf will be the best QB in that draft, not sure on that Manning guy.

The pick makes sense in the fact that this team is being built right now to win it all.  Rivers is an non mobile   pocket passer and so is Eason.    So Eason will learn a ton from Rivers.    

Then again Eason needs to beat out Kelly which I don't think is going to be easy, and I am not on the  Kelly bandwagon, but hes not a slouch

I see where some said Eason "had issues in college that's why he lasted until the 4th round". Huh, didn't Kelly "have issues in college"? People are going to find out there isn't much difference between Eason and Kelly, the biggest difference is that Kelly didn't cost us a 4th round draft pick. Eason vs. Kelly for the starting job in 2021 will be interesting, on the field that is, I'm not talking about this forum exploding on a daily basis! I'm fine with Eason, Fromm would have been ok. Someone took a shot at Jack Trudeau earlier in this thread, Trudeau got us to the playoffs in '87 and kept us very competitive for 3-4 years. He was a solid qb. In every generation there are only a handful of truly outstanding qb's you are not going to have one all the time. How many years passed between Bert Jones and Peyton? If you don't like that example how about Johnny Unitas and Peyton? A very talented team without a qb had to play like an expansion team for us to get Luck.

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

Ballard really downplayed Eason as the heir apparent to Rivers. Makes me question how much faith they have in the kid.

They just want him to come in and work without all the extra pressure.  He down played him on purpose.   He is a 4th rounder so nothing is guaranteed.   I'm sure they have faith in him but there are some questions to be answered.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

They just want him to come in and work without all the extra pressure.  He down played him on purpose.   He is a 4th rounder so nothing is guaranteed.   I'm sure they have faith in him but there are some questions to be answered.

I agree.   Personally I don't have lots of faith that he will be a great QB for the Colts future.  That's just based on the odds of QB's drafted that late have become great.  I'm hoping though.  I'm more hoping that it allows us to get rid of JB.

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I agree.   Personally I don't have lots of faith that he will be a great QB for the Colts future.  That's just based on the odds of QB's drafted that late have become great.  I'm hoping though.  I'm more hoping that it allows us to get rid of JB.

He's a 4th rounder but I think he's got really great tools.   I like the way he runs and operates within the offense from what I could see.  His problems are mostly handling pressure.  If they can break him out of some of that wild stuff he does when the pressure is on he's got really good upside.  I think he's got a decent shot.

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

In a lot of other years he would of been drafted in the first or second round.  To many teams didn’t need QB this year. If he gets a real chance we most likely got a steal.

What's a real chance?

If he is good, he'll get a real chance otherwise he'll be a backup or worse like most QB's drafted that far back. 

23 minutes ago, Myles said:

What's a real chance?

If he is good, he'll get a real chance otherwise he'll be a backup or worse like most QB's drafted that far back. 

If they treat him and look at him as a possible next franchise guy and not just some 4th round pick. It’s all up to him to come in and work hard. I just hope their mind is open enough to give a fair chance and will keep their mind open to the possibility.

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If they treat him and look at him as a possible next franchise guy and not just some 4th round pick. It’s all up to him to come in and work hard. I just hope their mind is open enough to give a fair chance and will keep their mind open to the possibility.

Well, they drafted him, so I assume he'll be given the chance to earn the backup role.  I don't think "open mind" has anything to do with it.  If he proves himself he'll get a shot.   I assume he pushes Kelly back in the order and maybe off the team altogether.   

Hard for me to envision Eason improving how he handles pressure, at least as drastically as he needs to improve it. It’s possible though. Although that’s not nearly the only thing he has to fix to become a franchise guy.

Not putting too much hope into him panning out but it’s possible. Pulling for him.

7 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Hard for me to envision Eason improving how he handles pressure, at least as drastically as he needs to improve it. It’s possible though. Although that’s not nearly the only thing he has to fix to become a franchise guy.

Not putting too much hope into him panning out but it’s possible. Pulling for him.

I think because he has so few games under his belt it can be improved. But it’s going to be hard to simulate that in practice.  He is going to have to be a sponge and watch rivers during games and take what he can from that.   He isn’t quite the statue Rivers is.   If he doesn’t have success here with watching Rivers and having Reich he won’t succeed anywhere.

22 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Some good things here about Eason and what they saw in him. 

I just want to repost this portion for a bit of emphasis

Jacob Eason, quarterback, Washington, chosen 122nd overall in the fourth round

Terpening: I actually saw him as a freshman, he was at Georgia, and he actually played against Drew Lock at Missouri; I think he threw for 300 yards and two or three touchdowns. You guys will see him up close, he’s got all the physical tools, he’s got size, he’s got excellent arm strength, he can make every throw. There’s just a lot of things going for him that drew us to the player. We spent a lot of time at the combine and kind of this whole Zoom thing with our coaching staff (the last few months). He’s got a lot of things that we’re really excited about.

We have really high standards for the players we bring in. That’s a testament to Mr. Irsay, to Chris, to Frank. For those guys to make our board, they have to have good football character, they have to have good personal character, they have to have good work ethic, they have to have good football intelligence. That’s something we really investigate, and we felt really good taking the player.

49 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, it will be interesting to watch.  Watching some of the condensed games on youtube, it seemed either he sees ghosts or he didn't trust his oline.  Because he would have an NFL clean pocket but rather than moving in the pocket he would do that maddening spin and run to the left.

Our scouts said he can process and go through 1st, 2nd and 3rd reads.  That’s what I was waiting to hear. I think they are  cautiously optimistic about him. 

For those who doubt Eason, keep remembering that all of Ballard’s picks stay in the league. He isn’t a typical flier or statical gamble because of how Ballard works his board and uses Decker. This is an NFL guy who will play QB in this league either for us or someone else. Ballard’s history shows this to be true.

3 hours ago, Myles said:

Eason at best is a 3 to 4 year project. He has no mobility and when he does leave the pocket his accuracy plummets. This video clip is all you need to see. 

16 hours ago, King Colt said:

Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning. Ryan Leaf will be the best QB in that draft, not sure on that Manning guy.

I know too bad we didn't have this site back in 1998 with the same posters. I would've been curious to see how many people would've hated the Manning pick and were drooling over Leaf because of his strong arm. Talk about eating a ton of crow haha 

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Yeah, it will be interesting to watch.  Watching some of the condensed games on youtube, it seemed either he sees ghosts or he didn't trust his oline.  Because he would have an NFL clean pocket but rather than moving in the pocket he would do that maddening spin and run to the left.

yeah I'd love to watch those practices.  I'd have him line up behind the 2nd string OL against the first team defense and run everything plus the kitchen sink at him until he starts getting it right lol

47 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Our scouts said he can process and go through 1st, 2nd and 3rd reads.  That’s what I was waiting to hear. I think they are  cautiously optimistic about him. 

For those who doubt Eason, keep remembering that all of Ballard’s picks stay in the league. He isn’t a typical flier or statical gamble because of how Ballard works his board and uses Decker. This is an NFL guy who will play QB in this league either for us or someone else. Ballard’s history shows this to be true.

I think you are exactly right about this not being the typical flier. A flier would of been Anthony Gordon or James Morgan. 

23 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think you are exactly right about this not being the typical flier. A flier would of been Anthony Gordon or James Morgan. 

...and I like hearing what the scouts were thinking. Their livelihood depends on it. 

2 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

That’s a fair point. Brissett, for all his faults, did improve his ability to navigate the pocket. Hopefully Eason, who has at least shown he’s not afraid to step into pressure at times, can improve there.

That's my biggest hope with Eason. If he doesn't he won't be a starting QB in the league.

14 minutes ago, stitches said:

That's my biggest hope with Eason. If he doesn't he won't be a starting QB in the league.

Virtually all running or athletic QBs don’t navigate the pocket.  They run out of it. So, it’s the Manning, Brady and Rivers of the world that need it. Luck could do both and was unique in that way. 

Archived