Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Jacob Eason QB Washington

CR91

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it's worth:

Here are a list of Eason's strengths and negatives as written up by Lance Zierlein.   I've put certain things into BOLD so you know the emphasis is mine....   And those qualities are not good for a quarterback.

Strengths:

-Strapping pocket-passer prototype

-Has frame and arm strength to excite evaluators

-Accuracy is his working default on most throws

-Can step and rip it between two levels of defenders

-Velocity helps mitigate average anticipation

-Arm strength to challenge secondary anywhere on field

-Deep-ball accuracy on play-action shots

-Alters trajectory to outpace trailing coverage deep

-Big hands secure the football through contact

-Willing to hold and throw through edge pressure

-Disguises screen intentions

Weaknesses:

-Deep dropbacks hurt his pass protection

-Setup for quick outs and slants takes too long

-Inconsistent timing on intermediate throws

-Needs to trust the route runner and avert gaze early on

-Was highly ineffective under duress

-Fails to expedite his process when pressure mounts

-Shows tendency to drop eyes and panic against the interior blitz

-Below-average escapability and running talent

-Takes sacks rather than getting rid of the ball

-Needs to improve footwork and discipline for full-field reads

-Circles up and out of the pocket if half-field reads aren't open

Most of those are no big deal and easily correctable. Unfortunately those first three bolded ones are serious. If they didn't exist , he would appear to be a franchise QB with just normal development . Also he would have been a top 5 pick....That said , I like the pick.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's apparent us Colts fans are not used to a project pick as our next QB!  In the last 20 yrs, we had the number one overall pick in Peyton Manning then Andrew Luck!  Both players were able to step in from day 1 and be a General, unlike most teams that were forced to take a project later.  Nobody is saying Eason is a starter in 2020 and will need to take the Mahomes route and sit a yr or two before coming into his own!  The Colts took Eason in the 4th and most here seems to think he was drafted to start day 1 which he was not.  Again, maybe thats because its what were used to but it's time to get with the norm of the NFL.  Steve Young sat behind Joe Montana, Aaron Rodgers sat behind Bret Farve, It's okay to have to develop and sit a yr to become great!

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

He was brought up after Brissett got hurt and he stayed on the roster for the rest of the season.

Shame he wasn't called upon in the Miami game as we just might have been a wildcard team!  I love this staff but I hope they get these type decisions under control in the future.  Tells me this staff has zero confidence in Chad K.

9 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Shame he wasn't called upon in the Miami game as we just might have been a wildcard team!  I love this staff but I hope they get these type decisions under control in the future.  Tells me this staff has zero confidence in Chad K.

I’m sorry, but no.   All feedback is that the staff likes Chad.   Ballard said Kelly was not going to play barring an emergency.  The plan was to have him sit, observe and learn all season long.  They were not going to give him an NFL start.  That’s why they signed Hoyer and paid him good money to be the backup.  That’s why Hoyer started when JB got hurt. 

Ballard shared this when he cut Kelly in the middle of the season and then, when CK went unclaimed, Ballard brought him back.  

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m sorry, but no.   All feedback is that the staff likes Chad.   Ballard said Kelly was not going to play barring an emergency.  The plan was to have him sit, observe and learn all season long.  They were not going to give him an NFL start.  That’s why they signed Hoyer and paid him good money to be the backup.  That’s why Hoyer started when JB got hurt. 

Ballard shared this when he cut Kelly in the middle of the season and then, when CK went unclaimed, Ballard brought him back.  

You may be correct which is where I disagree with the decision but not gonna lose sleep over the backup position.  Chad was on this roster before Hoyer and actually got game experience in the system during the preseason!  Chad even looked good enough that the fanbase was actually calling for him to be the starter.  It didn't happen naturally but with the state of the Colts at the time, why not see what you have vs starters?  Hind sight is 20/20 I get that but we had nothing to lose with TY inactive.  I think if the Colts lost that game with CK as the starter that the fanbase would've chilled a bit on the second coming.  Now, fans still have hope that CK is the answer over anybody and will so until proven otherwise. 

11 hours ago, Superman said:

Herbert is far more athletic, in and out of the pocket.

I agree but Eason does have a little bit of mobility when  he scrambles.  He's not a total dead duck like Joe Flacco or Osweiler from what I could see.  What I don't like is he tends to get wild under pressure and make some questionable throws. He's got a lot of tools though if our staff can help him get that under control.

So I watched a few clips of Eason and this is my impression.

- Natural thrower with a beautiful tight spiral

- Huge arm. Maybe not Mahomes huge, but let's just say he can get Hilton and Campbell the ball.

- Has a gun slinger mentality. Similar to Luck where you question where the heck was he throwing it.

- His feet is not bad, but it's not good either.

- He trust his arm way too much and when pressured will make off balance passes.

If I had to compare Eason. I'd say he's a better version of Cutler.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Eason played at the University of Washington for HC Chris Peterson.  He’s one of the best offensive minds in football.   Has been his entire career.

Just saying....

doesn’t mean it wasn’t a bad fit. There’s also an aspect of maturity that has to happen from college to the pros. Obviously Quincy Wilson was just traded because he lacked that. Eason is what, 22? A few years of development could make a big difference. You know what also could? When he realizes he can make more money than his grandchildren’s grandchildren will need if he can perform and be this teams quarterback for 10 plus years. 

no pressure though. :D

There is absolutely no way people are really thinking this guy is our QB of the future. Right?  I like the kid and watched him play multiple times at Georgia.  But come on...he is a 4th round pick and there is a super long history of most QBs picked this late never sniffing the starting line up. It “could” happen bc I love our coaching staff but he most likely won’t even be in the league in 6yrs let alone starting games. 

7 hours ago, dw49 said:

Most of those are no big deal and easily correctable. Unfortunately those first three bolded ones are serious. If they didn't exist , he would appear to be a franchise QB with just normal development . Also he would have been a top 5 pick....That said , I like the pick.

Yeah, I fear that those first three bolded ones require the kind of experience that you will only get with real NFL games so that is tricky as that would be learn-as-you go with a lot of lost games. Does he miss tactical awareness or the ability to process fast enough? Does anybody know?  

7 hours ago, CR91 said:

So I watched a few clips of Eason and this is my impression.

- Natural thrower with a beautiful tight spiral

- Huge arm. Maybe not Mahomes huge, but let's just say he can get Hilton and Campbell the ball.

- Has a gun slinger mentality. Similar to Luck where you question where the heck was he throwing it.

- His feet is not bad, but it's not good either.

- He trust his arm way too much and when pressured will make off balance passes.

If I had to compare Eason. I'd say he's a better version of Cutler.

FWIW, Eason threw 59 mph at the combine and Mahomes only 55 at his.  4mph is a big difference when its a game of inches.

Mahomes' velocity isn't anything special, pretty mid pack, which might explain why he's not an elite QB when stationary in the pocket but gets out and finds open spaces.

Eason's 59 is right there with Baker Mayfield, who at 59/60, is a bit surprising given his size. 

Josh Allen threw 62 which is flat out nuts, but Eason's ball velocity is in the top three of all Combine ball velocities since about 2012 (not top 3 QBs....several have thrown 59 over the years).

He should be able to get Campbell and Hilton the ball down the field better than just about any QB coming out in recent history.

10 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

I'm gonna go one step further and ask how many teams carry 3 qb's on their 53 man roster??  Eason will not last on the practice squad so what do the numbers tell you all?  Forget what Frank or Chris says and do the math for ourselves.

i think the colts will keep 3 QBs  just for next year.   I think they will not want jacob to play next year even if rivers gets hurt. they would want jB  .  i think chad kelly is gone and jacob is gonna work with the QB coach and reich next season a lot in practice .

the sad part for jacoby is jacob is already a better QB then him .    I watched about 8 games so far of all his throws last year .   jacoby could not throw guys open with 3 years college and 2 full nfl seasons . jacob already can .    jacob can make every single throw on the field , jacoby can not at all only good on slant routes .   Also i see people questioning his field vision but i saw plenty of tape of jacob looking one way then throwing it the other tricking the DB.  where jacoby was a one read QB then would scramble with a clean pocket and cause a sack .  Jacob can at least go to his second read , but after that he struggles to go to his third read .  biggest issue is sliding up in the pocket like manning or brady so edge rushers can get to him easily.

The biggest factor to me is jacob had horrible weapons last year . Plus i feel the system he was in did not suit him best.   jacob would do best in a bruce arians   type of system , as i feel like he plays exactly like big ben .

19 hours ago, Superman said:

I don't know if there's any reasonable landing spot for JB right now, at least not in a trade. If my team is remotely interested in JB, wouldn't I also be interested in Cam Newton and Jameis Winston? 

I think he'll be cut, or traded for a late conditional pick. Or sit on our bench for a year, which is good as insurance, but bad for value. 

May not be that bad of value. Although delayed, he'd likely be signed as an expensive backup and at QB that's a nice comp pick. 

14 hours ago, coming on strong said:

he does remind me of josh allen i think that is his ceiling

They seriously couldn't be more different aside from arm strength. Eason is a great passer given time, Allen is plain inaccurate. Eason is a statue that crumbles with pressure, Allen excels under duress. 

5 minutes ago, wig said:

May not be that bad of value. Although delayed, he'd likely be signed as an expensive backup and at QB that's a nice comp pick. 

They seriously couldn't be more different aside from arm strength. Eason is a great passer given time, Allen is plain inaccurate. Eason is a statue that crumbles with pressure, Allen excels under duress. 

i really like josh allen .  both can make all the throws on the field both big arms .   i think eason lack of experience is the cause of how he handles his pressure .  Handling pressure is one the the last things QBs learn to deal with , it comes with experience .

i love that eason played in a pro system like luck .  We need that because we are a heavy run team that loves using play action .  If he only could play from shotgun it would hurt the run game .   Our system will help him so much.  Power run team and throw off of play action will help him with pressure and open up throwing lanes and give chances for deep shots to our speeding wrs.

I love the pick i am very happy with the draft now .  I understand ballards picks better now , we needed a win now wr and a elite running back to pair with mack .  The only issue i have is not drafting a tight end we are gonna struggle unless one of our young guys step up like ross or cox .

You gotta take in Jacob Eason's history as a whole.  He was the top rated QB in the country coming out of high school. He was recruited by Alabama, Notre Dame amongst many.  He went to Georgia because he liked the coached.  Unfortunately, once he got there, the coach was fired.  He started as a true freshman and played well.  We know as a sophomore he got hurt, Fromm lead them to title game, and he wasn't allowed to get his job back.  Their coach is a defensive coach who preferred the game management of Fromm over Eason's gunslinger mentality.  That is not to take anything from Fromm, who was fantastic at Georgia.  So he transfers to Washington to play near home with Chris Peterson, who is a very innovative coach.  Had to sit out a year and when he played, he played pretty good.  Not perfect.  But keep in mind all of his receivers are pretty small and not exactly NFL picks.  Peterson stepped down at the end of the year.  Otherwise, he might have stayed another year.

So what we are getting is a guy who had to take a winding road to get here.  Had he not been hurt at Georgia or played at Washington the whole time, we likely wouldn't be getting him in the 4th round.  Or had he played another year at Washington, we wouldn't get him in the 4th.

Eason has a rocket arm and can get rid of the ball quickly and accurately.  He is not as immobile as they say. I think he ran like a 4.89 40. Brady was like 5.1.  He does try to run away from the rush and that doesn't work well.  But he can thread the needle at any time from any spot on the field.  So it is a roll of the dice.  If they can essentially red shirt him for a year or two, he could be fantastic.  Again, I would take this pick over some of you wanting the inaccurate project Jordan Love any day.  Low risk/high reward.

I do think it is funny how some of you, after 7 weeks last year were calling a 3rd around pick that was traded after one year, Jacoby Brissett, a franchise QB.  But now you say a 4th round QB can't possibly be the QB of the future.

Eason could be special. Or he could be another physical freak at QB who simply doesn't have it mentally.  We will see.  But worth the risk.  He is better than Brissett right now, I will tell  you that.

10 hours ago, dw49 said:

Robert Griffin 3 had a couple of those issues and was not able to overcome. "Ghost in the pocket ?"

31 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Robert Griffin 3 had a couple of those issues and was not able to overcome. "Ghost in the pocket ?"

robert griffin could not throw from under center he was a gimmick QB  that could only throw from the run option into wide open throwing lanes .  He had no anticipation throw , only could throw the ball if the wr was wide open like lamar jackson. eason is a pure pocket passer that can do back should fades .eason can  throw guys open and make every throw on the field. Most of his pressure issues are from foot work he takes longer to make short throws because he takes long to set his feet  . eason has trouble throwing if his feet are not set perfectly  which is so much easier to work on then a QB who cant make all the throws .  most of eason problems are due to lack of experience , he will be big ben 2.0

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Josh Allen threw 62 which is flat out nuts, but Eason's ball velocity is in the top three of all Combine ball velocities since about 2012 (not top 3 QBs....several have thrown 59 over the years).

I know I saw or read somewhere that the colts clocked Eason at 62 mph.   I’ll try to find it but I think it was in the post draft interviews 

edit:   I’ll try to find it but did see this:

18 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I know I saw or read somewhere that the colts clocked Eason at 62 mph.   I’ll try to find it but I think it was in the post draft interviews 

edit:   I’ll try to find it but did see this:

Im pretty sure as well that I saw the same thing, that Eason threw 62 mph or something crazy like that.  

10 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Im pretty sure as well that I saw the same thing, that Eason threw 62 mph or something crazy like that.  

Yeah, the combine stats just post one number each for throwing left and throwing right.  I assume its an average of several/many throws.

Hopefully, the throwing patterns at the combine are consistent from QB to QB and year to year.  An individual pro day can showcase the good.

5 hours ago, wig said:

Let's say he signs elsewhere for $9-10m/year, that's a 4th/5th round comp pick in 2022. 

Add in what we're paying him this year, and I don't think it's good value at all. I'll take the future comp pick, but I think I'd rather have a normal 6th in 2021 and save the extra $6m. 

Of course, if Rivers were to miss a month, JB will make a good spot starter. I understand why they want to keep him, and I'm fine with him as a backup, just would like to get something back for him. I guess that will just be delayed by a season.

2 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

I’ll just leave this here. This video explains how Eason gets so much power behind his passes.  It’s in his throwing mechanics. Take note of who they compare him with. 

https://youtu.be/-rqvcKOYcJM

Archived