Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Jacob Eason QB Washington

CR91

33 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I’ve gone on record saying I wasn’t a fan of this pick.  With that said I understand it and I also trust Ballard.  I am sure he was aware of the personality concerns and I am also sure he did his homework on them.  I am not saying they don’t exist because I honestly don’t know.  What I do know is that they got a kid who has late first round / early second round talent in the fourth round.  I also know the Colts have some really good teachers in Reich, Rivers, and yes Brissett (Luck mentioned several times how Jacoby helped him see things.). When you combine those two things he’s worth the risk in the fourth round because if he pans out they might have just gotten their future QB in the Fourth round.  

If he doesn’t work out it will stink to have missed on a fourth round pick but it’s better than missing on a first or second rounder or worse yet trading up and giving up more to get a QB and missing.  

This is a low risk even with the red flags with the chance for a high reward.  If you aren’t going to force a QB pick high and you aren’t in position to get one of the top two or three QBs in the draft this is the kind of risk you have to take.  

Personally I am concerned about the lack of mobility and the fact he struggles badly under pressure.  With that said I am going to hope for the best because he’s now a Colt.  What else can I do?  I can’t go back and undo the pick even if I don’t like it.  

I hope you didn't respond here because you thought I was talking about you.   I absolutely was not.    You have nothing to defend with me.

I'm good with the pick.    I''ve said that in a good number of posts.    I think it was smart.   Lots of potential upside at a modest cost.    If we can get his flaws corrected,  we might have a franchise QB.    If not,  we only lost a 4th round pick.    Well worth the investment.

My comments are only about those who wish not to believe views that have widely been published on websites like ESPN, NFL.com and PFF as well as others,  for months.   Now that he's a Colt,  a number here don't want to believe these views of Eason.    Their choice.   I happen to strongly disagree.   

For the record,  the issue of struggling badly under pressure is one of my biggest red flags for the kid.   You don't want that quality in your quarterback.    Not sure it can be coached out of him.   But Reich and his staff think they can -- so I wish them the best.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I hope you didn't respond here because you thought I was talking about you.   I absolutely was not.    You have nothing to defend with me.

I'm good with the pick.    I''ve said that in a good number of posts.    I think it was smart.   Lots of potential upside at a modest cost.    If we can get his flaws corrected,  we might have a franchise QB.    If not,  we only lost a 4th round pick.    Well worth the investment.

My comments are only about those who wish not to believe views that have widely been published on websites like ESPN, NFL.com and PFF as well as others,  for months.   Now that he's a Colt,  a number here don't want to believe these views of Eason.    Their choice.   I happen to strongly disagree.   

For the record,  the issue of struggling badly under pressure is one of my biggest red flags for the kid.   You don't want that quality in your quarterback.    Not sure it can be coached out of him.   But Reich and his staff think they can -- so I wish them the best.

The boy doesn't have enough experience in college , game wise to see if he is capable of progressing yet. 

6 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

The boy doesn't have enough experience in college , game wise to see if he is capable of progressing yet. 

I think he started more than 20 games in college.   That's not perfect,  but it's not terrible either. 

EDIT:  Just double checked.   Eason started 25 games in college.   12 as a freshman at Georgia.   And 13 his last year at Washington.   25 is a decent number.

Either way,  you may be right.    As I've said in a number of posts,  I like the pick.   Glad we took him.   Little risk,  high reward.    The upside is we get a franchise QB for the a ht4 round pick.   The downside is he flames out and we only lost a 4th round pick.   Worth the investment.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He certainly has some big question marks. My hope is this experience will humble him. He’s got a long journey ahead and I agree with you that he has got to figure out gaining poise under pressure. Even with our highly rate line, he’s going to get hit and bumped around. 

I’m glad we took him later rather than earlier. 

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not at all.  I was just explaining why I am not overly concerned about the personality issues.  I trust Ballard to have done his home work and I think the Colts have good teachers around him to help him.  If it doesn’t work out like I said before it will stink but it’s not the end of the world.

I am with you I am much more concerned about him not doing well under pressure.  You can teach a little bit of pocket presence but for the most part that’s normally something QBs have or don’t have.

I think he started at Georgia, got hurt lost his job to Fromm, transferred  to Washington set out  a year red shirted play briefly after that an forwent his senor year to inter the draft. So he really is a raw maybe talent that could be developed  at 6'6 231 pounds  a big guy. 

For what it's worth:

Here are a list of Eason's strengths and negatives as written up by Lance Zierlein.   I've put certain things into BOLD so you know the emphasis is mine....   And those qualities are not good for a quarterback.

Strengths:

-Strapping pocket-passer prototype

-Has frame and arm strength to excite evaluators

-Accuracy is his working default on most throws

-Can step and rip it between two levels of defenders

-Velocity helps mitigate average anticipation

-Arm strength to challenge secondary anywhere on field

-Deep-ball accuracy on play-action shots

-Alters trajectory to outpace trailing coverage deep

-Big hands secure the football through contact

-Willing to hold and throw through edge pressure

-Disguises screen intentions

Weaknesses:

-Deep dropbacks hurt his pass protection

-Setup for quick outs and slants takes too long

-Inconsistent timing on intermediate throws

-Needs to trust the route runner and avert gaze early on

-Was highly ineffective under duress

-Fails to expedite his process when pressure mounts

-Shows tendency to drop eyes and panic against the interior blitz

-Below-average escapability and running talent

-Takes sacks rather than getting rid of the ball

-Needs to improve footwork and discipline for full-field reads

-Circles up and out of the pocket if half-field reads aren't open

9 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

I think he started at Georgia, got hurt lost his job to Fromm, transferred  to Washington set out  a year red shirted play briefly after that an forwent his senor year to inter the draft. So he really is a raw maybe talent that could be developed  at 6'6 231 pounds  a big guy. 

Was somewhat over recruited at UGa

3 hours ago, Indeee said:

Ok, well that's been my particular point the entire time. Kelly has never gotten a REAL shot to be considered potentially good or not. That's why I didn't personally want another QB in the fold. Kelly needs a clear shot and im not sure that would ever truly come to pass in this outcome. Im hoping im wrong, time will tell

What do you consider a "clear shot"? Kelly will never be gifted a starting spot on a team. He will always have to outplay the other QBs on the roster (or rely on luck to get on the field because of injuries of the other QBs). The reality is - very few QBs get starting spot gifted to them to show what they can do(mainly 1st round picks or other high picks). The rest have to fight and claw their way into a starting position. This is especially true for 7th round picks with history of off-the-field issues. 

You also assume that he's not getting a shot now. The coaching staff and management see him every day. Every day for him is a chance to prove that he deserves a starting spot. Is there a higher burden of proof that he needs to clear? Probably, but again - this is normal for the type of prospect he is with the type of history he has. This is not abnormal, the majority of QBs in the league are in the same spot every year.

Plus, IMO he has to first win a back up job, before he can think about going for a starting job. Right now, the coaching staff prefered to give Brian Hoyer the emergency starting spot rather than to him. This has to change first before he can go for a starting job.

16 minutes ago, stitches said:

What do you consider a "clear shot"? Kelly will never be gifted a starting spot on a team. He will always have to outplay the other QBs on the roster (or rely on luck to get on the field because of injuries of the other QBs). The reality is - very few QBs get starting spot gifted to them to show what they can do(mainly 1st round picks or other high picks). The rest have to fight and claw their way into a starting position. This is especially true for 7th round picks with history of off-the-field issues. 

You also assume that he's not getting a shot now. The coaching staff and management see him every day. Every day for him is a chance to prove that he deserves a starting spot. Is there a higher burden of proof that he needs to clear? Probably, but again - this is normal for the type of prospect he is with the type of history he has. This is not abnormal, the majority of QBs in the league are in the same spot every year.

Plus, IMO he has to first win a back up job, before he can think about going for a starting job. Right now, the coaching staff prefered to give Brian Hoyer the emergency starting spot rather than to him. This has to change first before he can go for a starting job.

All of that is fair, and if Eason was a 6th-7th round pick I would feel better, but he was a fourth meaning he will at least get a garaunteed couple of years or at least length of rook deal. So unless Colts dump JB as post June 1st cut, Kelly seems odd man out. If there is no NFL season this year though it would favor Kelly more as JBs contract is good through this year. If NFL cancels season,  JB would be FA next year and not resigned making it Rivers(they would resign him in no season scenario), Kelly, and Eason. Then I would be fine as Kelly would outplay Eason then. But no way they keep 4 QBs if season goes on as usual and I'm not sure I trust Colts dumping JB even if Kelly has great offseason or not. That was why I didn't want a QB drafted,  to eliminate this scenario the Colts now face

6 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

Same here.  After watching jet O’Sullivans breakdown he was one qb I didn’t want but I am sure that I’m wrong

O'Sullivan's stuff isn't my favorite, he gets fixated on things and simply looks at one game.  If that game is a poor (or great) showing it totally skews the analysis.  I like some of it and other times I'm like "you need to do better."  For instance, he kills Fromm for an entire video then ranks him the third best QB in the draft.  That type of analysis doesn't square with me.  

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it's worth:

Here are a list of Eason's strengths and negatives as written up by Lance Zierlein.   I've put certain things into BOLD so you know the emphasis is mine....   And those qualities are not good for a quarterback.

Strengths:

-Strapping pocket-passer prototype

-Has frame and arm strength to excite evaluators

-Accuracy is his working default on most throws

-Can step and rip it between two levels of defenders

-Velocity helps mitigate average anticipation

-Arm strength to challenge secondary anywhere on field

-Deep-ball accuracy on play-action shots

-Alters trajectory to outpace trailing coverage deep

-Big hands secure the football through contact

-Willing to hold and throw through edge pressure

-Disguises screen intentions

Weaknesses:

-Deep dropbacks hurt his pass protection

-Setup for quick outs and slants takes too long

-Inconsistent timing on intermediate throws

-Needs to trust the route runner and avert gaze early on

-Was highly ineffective under duress

-Fails to expedite his process when pressure mounts

-Shows tendency to drop eyes and panic against the interior blitz

-Below-average escapability and running talent

-Takes sacks rather than getting rid of the ball

-Needs to improve footwork and discipline for full-field reads

-Circles up and out of the pocket if half-field reads aren't open

A few adds: Strength 6'6', calm feet.  Weakness: references his nuts in Colts.com post draft interview.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think he started more than 20 games in college.   That's not perfect,  but it's not terrible either. 

EDIT:  Just double checked.   Eason started 25 games in college.   12 as a freshman at Georgia.   And 13 his last year at Washington.   25 is a decent number.

Either way,  you may be right.    As I've said in a number of posts,  I like the pick.   Glad we took him.   Little risk,  high reward.    The upside is we get a franchise QB for the a ht4 round pick.   The downside is he flames out and we only lost a 4th round pick.   Worth the investment.

I personally am not a fan, watched his entire freshman season...to his credit, he's improved a lot, good fourth round pick, glad it wasn't higher.

How many QBs have the Patriots drafted over the years with Tom Brady on the roster? 

2014 - Jimmy G - 2nd Rd 62

2016 - Jacoby Brissett - 3rd Rd 91 

2019 - Jarrett Stidham - 4th Rd 133

How many QBs have the Colts drafted over the same period?

Zero.

Here we are collectively questioning the QB we selected with our 4th rd pick 122 overall. No where near the investment a lot of other teams put in at the position. 

Like any position when largely rolling the dice on kids coming out of college, it takes patience and investment over time to get it right. 

I, like most, was not big on Eason, but can see the intriguing traits and can appreciate the investment at a key position. It’s going to take time folks.

Ideally we get a potential starter down the road or a quality back up. Worst case we wasted a 4th Rd pick. Much better than the Jags and Browns draft history in the first round. 

We’re going to be ok folks. Go Colts!

Do many here realize that Eason only has two yrs of experience??  If he was to remain in College we would have no shot at drafting this kid believe me!  Imagine Eason on a GA, Bama, Clemson, ND or Okalahoma team with all that talent and no question he's a fist rounder!  He had a first to second rd grade so to get him in the 4th is a blessing.

3 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

For the record, Eason is the #2 qb on this team regardless of what smoke screen Ballard or Reich may say!  Believe their actions over their words if you want the truth!

I think ballard doesn’t want to put pressure on the kid. What he said is true.  He is a 4th rd pick so easy to cut him. I think he just wants him to come in and arm it.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

“pressure is what you feel when you don’t know what the hell you are doing.” - Peyton Manning

Sometimes that’s on coaching as much as a certain player. Just food for thought. I’ve seen 5 star quarterbacks out of high school that had all the intangibles look like they didn’t have a clue what they were doing in college, and it was in large part because they were in a bad offense, bad play calling and a bad fit in general.

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

“pressure is what you feel when you don’t know what the hell you are doing.” - Peyton Manning

Sometimes that’s on coaching as much as a certain player. Just food for thought. I’ve seen 5 star quarterbacks out of high school that had all the intangibles look like they didn’t have a clue what they were doing in college, and it was in large part because they were in a bad offense, bad play calling and a bad fit in general.

Eason played at the University of Washington for HC Chris Peterson.  He’s one of the best offensive minds in football.   Has been his entire career.

Just saying....

36 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Do many here realize that Eason only has two yrs of experience??  If he was to remain in College we would have no shot at drafting this kid believe me!  Imagine Eason on a GA, Bama, Clemson, ND or Okalahoma team with all that talent and no question he's a fist rounder!  He had a first to second rd grade so to get him in the 4th is a blessing.

I keep thinking along these lines.  It’s possible he’s the number 2 pick next year behind TLaw if he remains in school.  Instead, we get him in the 4th and he spends the year learning from Rivers and an excellent coaching staff.  Potential low risk, high reward pick.

I see a rich man's Christian Hackenberg. The Osweiler comparisons don't make sense to me. Eason's a guy with a rocket for an arm and flashes of accuracy with mediocre-to-bad timing, reads, and pressure tendencies. Will be interesting to see if Rivers will help him develop.

1 hour ago, Breeze said:

I keep thinking along these lines.  It’s possible he’s the number 2 pick next year behind TLaw if he remains in school.  Instead, we get him in the 4th and he spends the year learning from Rivers and an excellent coaching staff.  Potential low risk, high reward pick.

I'm gonna go one step further and ask how many teams carry 3 qb's on their 53 man roster??  Eason will not last on the practice squad so what do the numbers tell you all?  Forget what Frank or Chris says and do the math for ourselves.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think ballard doesn’t want to put pressure on the kid. What he said is true.  He is a 4th rd pick so easy to cut him. I think he just wants him to come in and arm it.

Only two spots on the 53 man roster = two will be cut or stashed on the practice squad!  Eason will not last on the practice squad so I will let you all do the math!

1 hour ago, BornHoosier said:

I'm gonna go one step further and ask how many teams carry 3 qb's on their 53 man roster??  Eason will not last on the practice squad so what do the numbers tell you all?  Forget what Frank or Chris says and do the math for ourselves.

we carried Brissett, Hoyer, and Kelly for most of the season

7 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Kelly was on the practice squad was he not?  I know that no team carries 3 qbs which is very odd.

He was brought up after Brissett got hurt and he stayed on the roster for the rest of the season.

Archived