Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Jacob Eason QB Washington


Recommended Posts

So other than the stories floating about, can someone point to documented incidents that question his personality.  Did he get into a fight, suspension, pull a moss, booze it up on instagram, anything? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Goodbye Brissett 

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Also keep in mind, Eason has only played 23 game. 10 at Georgia and 13 this year so there is not a lot of game film on the kid

Great point that I was just about to mention.  Two different teams and systems.  Lot's of upside here with NFL coaching to develop the best in him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Indeee said:

Well as one example, Rotoworld seems to agree with me

 

Colts selected Washington QB Jacob Eason with the No. 122 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Eason (6’6/231) began his collegiate career at Georgia, but after a rocky 1.5 seasons, he opted to transfer to Washington where he started as a junior. With the Huskies, he only tossed 12 touchdowns to seven interceptions in his nine games against the beatable Pac-12 Conference. He’s always looked the part on the field and certainly has the high-end arm strength scouts look for, but his anticipation, accuracy, and short-area touch must improve to earn a starting job in the NFL because he lacks the athleticism to mask any in-pocket concerns. The former five-star recruit “rushed” for a not so nice -69 yards last season, constantly losing extra yards on sacks while thinking he was more athletic than he is. Eason is best viewed as a project who will undoubtedly receive more chances to develop than other NFL backups given his size, arm strength, and pedigree. Philip Rivers is only under contract for the 2020 season.

 

Waste of a pick.

 

Hmm you found one site that agrees with you and suddenly it's no longer the minority opinion? I could find 10 sites without trying (more reputable than rotoworld) that not only disagree that he's 'a cannon arm and nothing else' but that actually love the pick and his potential. So either you just hate the pick (which is fine) or you're unclear on what the word 'minority' means. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Where in that post did I mention Eason?

Ok, well that's been my particular point the entire time. Kelly has never gotten a REAL shot to be considered potentially good or not. That's why I didn't personally want another QB in the fold. Kelly needs a clear shot and im not sure that would ever truly come to pass in this outcome. Im hoping im wrong, time will tell

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Well as one example, Rotoworld seems to agree with me

 

Colts selected Washington QB Jacob Eason with the No. 122 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Eason (6’6/231) began his collegiate career at Georgia, but after a rocky 1.5 seasons, he opted to transfer to Washington where he started as a junior. With the Huskies, he only tossed 12 touchdowns to seven interceptions in his nine games against the beatable Pac-12 Conference. He’s always looked the part on the field and certainly has the high-end arm strength scouts look for, but his anticipation, accuracy, and short-area touch must improve to earn a starting job in the NFL because he lacks the athleticism to mask any in-pocket concerns. The former five-star recruit “rushed” for a not so nice -69 yards last season, constantly losing extra yards on sacks while thinking he was more athletic than he is. Eason is best viewed as a project who will undoubtedly receive more chances to develop than other NFL backups given his size, arm strength, and pedigree. Philip Rivers is only under contract for the 2020 season.

 

Waste of a pick.

 

CBS Sports...

 

Grade: A

Jacob Eason QB, WASH

Height: 6-6, Weight: 231

Perfect landing spot for the ultra-talented but raw Eason. Will have one of the strongest arms in the NFL instantly. Accurate too. Just absolutely crumbles under pressure and is a lower-level athlete for the position. Some progression-reading but needs to get better in that area. Awesome value here for Indianapolis. (Chris Trapasso)

Link to post
Share on other sites

In my humble opinion a 4th Round draft pick is not worth a great deal. So, why not?

 

Take a chance.

 

I just looked it up on the unreliable internet. 4th Round picks on average only start 6.3% of their team's first 80 games of their careers. 

 

I did not develop that stat. But, I can't dispute it either.

 

 

So, my contention is that after the 3rd Round it's a roll of the dice.

 

Every athlete at that point has a question mark or more than one question mark.

 

So, take a chance.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Indeee said:

Ok, well that's been my particular point the entire time. Kelly has never gotten a REAL shot to be considered potentially good or not. That's why I didn't personally want another QB in the fold. Kelly needs a clear shot and im not sure that would ever truly come to pass in this outcome. Im hoping im wrong, time will tell

 

And Ballard still drafted eason. What does that tell you about how much Ballard values Kelly? Besides, I'm sure Kelly will still get his shot in TC and preseason to try to stay above eason on the depth chart. You're acting as if Kelly has already been cut

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, J@son said:

 

Hmm you found one site that agrees with you and suddenly it's no longer the minority opinion? I could find 10 sites without trying (more reputable than rotoworld) that not only disagree that he's 'a cannon arm and nothing else' but that actually love the pick and his potential. So either you just hate the pick (which is fine) or you're unclear on what the word 'minority' means. 

Im indifferent to the pick. Another project QB with potential as the majority sees it, does not make sense when this team already has that type of player on the roster being Kelly. That's why it's a wasted pick imo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, J@son said:

 

And Ballard still drafted eason. What does that tell you about how much Ballard values Kelly? Besides, I'm sure Kelly will still get his shot in TC and preseason to try to stay above eason on the depth chart. You're acting as if Kelly has already been cut

Not sure what Ballard is thinking except maybe value of the player in that spot vs. Who was left on their board. I just really find it hard to believe it was based on talent and potential alone vs. What Kelly already possesses. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Ok, well that's been my particular point the entire time. Kelly has never gotten a REAL shot to be considered potentially good or not. That's why I didn't personally want another QB in the fold. Kelly needs a clear shot and im not sure that would ever truly come to pass in this outcome. Im hoping im wrong, time will tell

 

It's clear that you'd like to see Kelly get a shot. I'm not sure why you think he needs a clear shot. The Colts staff doesn't seem interested in clearing the deck to give Kelly a path to the field. He'll have to earn it. 

 

And in no situation should a team hold off on drafting a talented QB because they have someone stashed on the end of the roster who has never thrown a pass in a real game before. 

  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Indeee said:

Im indifferent to the pick. Another project QB with potential as the majority sees it, does not make sense when this team already has that type of player on the roster being Kelly. That's why it's a wasted pick imo.

The one thing you nor anyone else knows is what Ballard and all the coaches really think of Kelly and his future here. 

They are not going to discuss it with the media or the fans. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, crazycolt1 said:

The one thing you nor anyone else knows is what Ballard and all the coaches really think of Kelly and his future here. 

They are not going to discuss it with the media or the fans. 

What you say is certainly true.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Im indifferent to the pick. Another project QB with potential as the majority sees it, does not make sense when this team already has that type of player on the roster being Kelly. That's why it's a wasted pick imo.

 

I have no problem with any of this. I don't agree but that doesn't even matter. But none of this has amything to do with the first post of mine that you replied to lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Four2itus said:

I wanted Luton or Eason. All I can say now is.......

 

YEAAAAA BABY!

Yeah, you've been talking about him for a while.  Both here and on other forums.  I personally think he's jeff George 2.0 but at least the Colts didn't spend the #1 pick on him.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, cbear said:

So other than the stories floating about, can someone point to documented incidents that question his personality.  Did he get into a fight, suspension, pull a moss, booze it up on instagram, anything? 

He mentioned in his soon interview today a lot of those stories came from early on his career and he has grown and matured. So he didn’t come deny them just said things have changed. This guy isn’t a loose cannon. I just think he needs someone to show him the way.  I don’t worry about his character at all.  Just needs a mentor. His interviews today were very impressive.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He mentioned in his soon interview today a lot of those stories came from early on his career and he has grown and matured. So he didn’t come deny them just said things have changed. This guy isn’t a loose cannon. I just think he needs someone to show him the way.  I don’t worry about his character at all.  Just needs a mentor. His interviews today were very impressive.

What I would want to know is his mental state when he was starting for UGA, then after leaving UGA.  He was highly recruited, I think played pretty well at UGA, then lost his job to Fromm after an injury.  Then transferred and had to sit out a year.  You know, that crash and change can have a mental impact on a young person.  Kind of lost and depressed, which can impact how much energy you can put into things.  Its easy to say these kids and football players need to just suck it up, be positive and such, but major let down and change like that can take a couple of years to truly get over.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Kelly has never gotten a REAL shot to be considered potentially good or not.

Curious, how do you know what kind of shot he has been given? He may have been given many shots over the season to be prepared for practices that he did not do well at. Just because you didn't witness the opportunity, doesn't mean it hasn't occurred. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

Curious, how do you know what kind of shot he has been given? He may have been given many shots over the season to be prepared for practices that he did not do well at. Just because you didn't witness the opportunity, doesn't mean it hasn't occurred. 

No one knows really but common sense says that didn't happen, only because Hoyer would have to second rep just because of moment that JB got hurt. Based on monetary contract and depth chart, my guess he didn't get much more than mental aspect of things

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But let’s not pretend he doesn’t have issues simply because he’s now a Colt. 

I too have not seen this "pretending there are no issues" crap. What I have seen is the "He has all these issues...therefore he is a bad pick" crap. 

 

"You just don’t like being told you’re wrong, even when you are.  Deal with it.  You’re wrong.   Get over yourself.

 

No, that isn't me saying this to you, just showing that you are going a bit overboard.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, J@son said:

 

And Ballard still drafted eason. What does that tell you about how much Ballard values Kelly? Besides, I'm sure Kelly will still get his shot in TC and preseason to try to stay above eason on the depth chart. You're acting as if Kelly has already been cut


It’ll bring competition, but there is no way Chad Kelly makes this team over Eason. Zero. If he stays on, it’s because JB is traded or cut. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

39 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He mentioned in his soon interview today a lot of those stories came from early on his career and he has grown and matured. So he didn’t come deny them just said things have changed. This guy isn’t a loose cannon. I just think he needs someone to show him the way.  I don’t worry about his character at all.  Just needs a mentor. His interviews today were very impressive.

 

Agreed, I taught he came across very well on the interview posted up online by the Colts. Seemed very genuine and grateful for the opportunity. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

 

 

Agreed, I taught he came across very well on the interview posted up online by the Colts. Seemed very genuine and grateful for the opportunity. 

Just a gut feeling i have after checking his Instagram and stuff. I think mentally he is actually more mature then Love.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I suggest everyone go listen for the culture podcast. He talks about his processing speed, can throw with anticipation and touch. Also says he processes things quick and manipulates defenses with his eyes. Needs to work on pocket awareness and know when the pressure is coming. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

To be clear...   I didn’t mean to broadly say posters are saying he doesn’t have issues.   But a number of them are pushing back hard on Eason’s attitude, work ethic, and off field issues.   They refuse to accept it.   They argue it’s overblown or overstated.   They argue Ballard would not draft such a player.  
They don’t want to believe it’s true. 
 

It’s not one poster...   there are a decent number of posters saying this in various threads. 
 

At some point, there’s a level if denial here.  And they’re disbelieving because Eason is now a Colt. 

I’ve gone on record saying I wasn’t a fan of this pick.  With that said I understand it and I also trust Ballard.  I am sure he was aware of the personality concerns and I am also sure he did his homework on them.  I am not saying they don’t exist because I honestly don’t know.  What I do know is that they got a kid who has late first round / early second round talent in the fourth round.  I also know the Colts have some really good teachers in Reich, Rivers, and yes Brissett (Luck mentioned several times how Jacoby helped him see things.). When you combine those two things he’s worth the risk in the fourth round because if he pans out they might have just gotten their future QB in the Fourth round.  
 

If he doesn’t work out it will stink to have missed on a fourth round pick but it’s better than missing on a first or second rounder or worse yet trading up and giving up more to get a QB and missing.  
 

This is a low risk even with the red flags with the chance for a high reward.  If you aren’t going to force a QB pick high and you aren’t in position to get one of the top two or three QBs in the draft this is the kind of risk you have to take.  
 

Personally I am concerned about the lack of mobility and the fact he struggles badly under pressure.  With that said I am going to hope for the best because he’s now a Colt.  What else can I do?  I can’t go back and undo the pick even if I don’t like it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I’ve gone on record saying I wasn’t a fan of this pick.  With that said I understand it and I also trust Ballard.  I am sure he was aware of the personality concerns and I am also sure he did his homework on them.  I am not saying they don’t exist because I honestly don’t know.  What I do know is that they got a kid who has late first round / early second round talent in the fourth round.  I also know the Colts have some really good teachers in Reich, Rivers, and yes Brissett (Luck mentioned several times how Jacoby helped him see things.). When you combine those two things he’s worth the risk in the fourth round because if he pans out they might have just gotten their future QB in the Fourth round.  
 

If he doesn’t work out it will stink to have missed on a fourth round pick but it’s better than missing on a first or second rounder or worse yet trading up and giving up more to get a QB and missing.  
 

This is a low risk even with the red flags with the chance for a high reward.  If you aren’t going to force a QB pick high and you aren’t in position to get one of the top two or three QBs in the draft this is the kind of risk you have to take.  
 

Personally I am concerned about the lack of mobility and the fact he struggles badly under pressure.  With that said I am going to hope for the best because he’s now a Colt.  What else can I do?  I can’t go back and undo the pick even if I don’t like it.  

Well said. Imagine what will happen with the Packers if Love isn’t the Patrick Mahomes 2.0 people are making him out to be.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know what we can expect from Eason. If I'm honest, outside of my top 3, Burrow/Tua/Hurts, nobody else excited me enough to draft at all, not surprised that the Patriots didn't draft a qb for instance. 

 

We'll see what happens, for now, he is insurance we have someone under contract next year who is familiar w our system, but I trust Reich and Ballard to get the best out of him, what that is, is remained to be seen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MTC said:

I have my concerns with Eason, but he will really benefit from learning from Rivers.

I just hope it isn’t wasted on someone who won’t make the most of that opportunity through hard work.  You can lead a colt to water....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • In reality they are probably right to point out that most GMs in the league don't have long enough track record to be free of small sample bias one way or the other. It's very likely if you gave every GM 100 drafts, their draft success will tend to converge toward the average. BTW, I wonder where Grigson would be on those graphs. I would guess pretty high thanks to drafting Luck and TY Hilton(similar to HOU in this graph thanks to Deshaun Watson). Just another reminder that even though those graphs might be useful in some cases you have to keep in mind their limitations and biases.
    • Doug...  these anti-Watson rants have gone from bad to worse.   Other posters here have noted you make it sound personal.   You have mischaracterized most everything that has happened.   Watson has a lot of support around the NFL.   I’d say far more support than dont.   I don’t pretend to know how this is going to finish?   But I hope you can lower the temperature here...   I don’t think it’s helpful.   Just my two cents...     
    • Yeah, if Miller or Haeg had the WHOLE resume and the talent of Godwin maybe we should. Worth pointing out that this was probably the worst stretch of Godwin's career (and it was mainly thanks to drops). I think he had like 7 drops in the playoffs while never having more than 2 in a whole season previously. I would personally consider that a freaky happenstance, and trust the much bigger sample of him being a very reliable catcher of the football. Also, it's not me that's taken it here. YOU just did.   I've already pointed out several times that this is NOT my 'take', but rather a guess on part of the explanation on the Bucs place in those graphs. So why do you keep going with this? At this point I am considering this bad faith exchange on your part. On the second part - yes, it would have to be taken in consideration(if they were up for trade and tied in similar contracts, rather than Godwin being a FA). BTW Godwin is one of the players we should consider breaking Ballard's bank on this FA. Insert Whynothaveboth.gif Agree with this. Evans is both better and more valuable than Godwin. Worth pointing out that both Superbowl teams had premier pass catching weapons as it relates to our discussion on the value of the position.  
    • Without contact?   I don’t think that’s true.   His knee injury this year was a helmet to his knee while his foot was planted.   He had 3-4 injuries his rookie year, I think only the foot injury was non contact.     Campbell had no significant injuries in college.  Think he played 38-39 games in three years.  
    • I haven't payed a lot of attention to CBs yet, but Trill seems to check almost all of the boxes for what we look for in a corner (haven't seen any arm length figures yet, but length is a common positive I've seen for him, so im3 assuming he hits the marks). I'm really intrigued and need to check out some more film of him.
  • Members

    • colts89

      colts89 61

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • bertjones7

      bertjones7 110

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • BillHill

      BillHill 6

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • thexilla

      thexilla 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • EastStreet

      EastStreet 9,207

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • StlColt

      StlColt 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Nesjan3

      Nesjan3 674

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • stitches

      stitches 8,003

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NFLfan

      NFLfan 8,288

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • life long

      life long 185

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...