Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Jacob Eason QB Washington

CR91

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Also keep in mind, Eason has only played 23 game. 10 at Georgia and 13 this year so there is not a lot of game film on the kid

Great point that I was just about to mention.  Two different teams and systems.  Lot's of upside here with NFL coaching to develop the best in him. 

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

Well as one example, Rotoworld seems to agree with me

Colts selected Washington QB Jacob Eason with the No. 122 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Eason (6’6/231) began his collegiate career at Georgia, but after a rocky 1.5 seasons, he opted to transfer to Washington where he started as a junior. With the Huskies, he only tossed 12 touchdowns to seven interceptions in his nine games against the beatable Pac-12 Conference. He’s always looked the part on the field and certainly has the high-end arm strength scouts look for, but his anticipation, accuracy, and short-area touch must improve to earn a starting job in the NFL because he lacks the athleticism to mask any in-pocket concerns. The former five-star recruit “rushed” for a not so nice -69 yards last season, constantly losing extra yards on sacks while thinking he was more athletic than he is. Eason is best viewed as a project who will undoubtedly receive more chances to develop than other NFL backups given his size, arm strength, and pedigree. Philip Rivers is only under contract for the 2020 season.

Waste of a pick.

Hmm you found one site that agrees with you and suddenly it's no longer the minority opinion? I could find 10 sites without trying (more reputable than rotoworld) that not only disagree that he's 'a cannon arm and nothing else' but that actually love the pick and his potential. So either you just hate the pick (which is fine) or you're unclear on what the word 'minority' means. 

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

Where in that post did I mention Eason?

Ok, well that's been my particular point the entire time. Kelly has never gotten a REAL shot to be considered potentially good or not. That's why I didn't personally want another QB in the fold. Kelly needs a clear shot and im not sure that would ever truly come to pass in this outcome. Im hoping im wrong, time will tell

6 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Well as one example, Rotoworld seems to agree with me

Colts selected Washington QB Jacob Eason with the No. 122 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Eason (6’6/231) began his collegiate career at Georgia, but after a rocky 1.5 seasons, he opted to transfer to Washington where he started as a junior. With the Huskies, he only tossed 12 touchdowns to seven interceptions in his nine games against the beatable Pac-12 Conference. He’s always looked the part on the field and certainly has the high-end arm strength scouts look for, but his anticipation, accuracy, and short-area touch must improve to earn a starting job in the NFL because he lacks the athleticism to mask any in-pocket concerns. The former five-star recruit “rushed” for a not so nice -69 yards last season, constantly losing extra yards on sacks while thinking he was more athletic than he is. Eason is best viewed as a project who will undoubtedly receive more chances to develop than other NFL backups given his size, arm strength, and pedigree. Philip Rivers is only under contract for the 2020 season.

Waste of a pick.

CBS Sports...

Grade: A

Jacob Eason QB, WASH

Height: 6-6, Weight: 231

Perfect landing spot for the ultra-talented but raw Eason. Will have one of the strongest arms in the NFL instantly. Accurate too. Just absolutely crumbles under pressure and is a lower-level athlete for the position. Some progression-reading but needs to get better in that area. Awesome value here for Indianapolis. (Chris Trapasso)

In my humble opinion a 4th Round draft pick is not worth a great deal. So, why not?

Take a chance.

I just looked it up on the unreliable internet. 4th Round picks on average only start 6.3% of their team's first 80 games of their careers. 

I did not develop that stat. But, I can't dispute it either.

So, my contention is that after the 3rd Round it's a roll of the dice.

Every athlete at that point has a question mark or more than one question mark.

So, take a chance.

Ok, well that's been my particular point the entire time. Kelly has never gotten a REAL shot to be considered potentially good or not. That's why I didn't personally want another QB in the fold. Kelly needs a clear shot and im not sure that would ever truly come to pass in this outcome. Im hoping im wrong, time will tell

And Ballard still drafted eason. What does that tell you about how much Ballard values Kelly? Besides, I'm sure Kelly will still get his shot in TC and preseason to try to stay above eason on the depth chart. You're acting as if Kelly has already been cut

13 minutes ago, J@son said:

Hmm you found one site that agrees with you and suddenly it's no longer the minority opinion? I could find 10 sites without trying (more reputable than rotoworld) that not only disagree that he's 'a cannon arm and nothing else' but that actually love the pick and his potential. So either you just hate the pick (which is fine) or you're unclear on what the word 'minority' means. 

Im indifferent to the pick. Another project QB with potential as the majority sees it, does not make sense when this team already has that type of player on the roster being Kelly. That's why it's a wasted pick imo.

10 minutes ago, J@son said:

And Ballard still drafted eason. What does that tell you about how much Ballard values Kelly? Besides, I'm sure Kelly will still get his shot in TC and preseason to try to stay above eason on the depth chart. You're acting as if Kelly has already been cut

Not sure what Ballard is thinking except maybe value of the player in that spot vs. Who was left on their board. I just really find it hard to believe it was based on talent and potential alone vs. What Kelly already possesses. 

2 minutes ago, Indeee said:

It's clear that you'd like to see Kelly get a shot. I'm not sure why you think he needs a clear shot. The Colts staff doesn't seem interested in clearing the deck to give Kelly a path to the field. He'll have to earn it. 

And in no situation should a team hold off on drafting a talented QB because they have someone stashed on the end of the roster who has never thrown a pass in a real game before. 

Im indifferent to the pick. Another project QB with potential as the majority sees it, does not make sense when this team already has that type of player on the roster being Kelly. That's why it's a wasted pick imo.

The one thing you nor anyone else knows is what Ballard and all the coaches really think of Kelly and his future here. 

They are not going to discuss it with the media or the fans. 

8 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I have no problem with any of this. I don't agree but that doesn't even matter. But none of this has amything to do with the first post of mine that you replied to lol

2 hours ago, Four2itus said:

I wanted Luton or Eason. All I can say now is.......

YEAAAAA BABY!

Yeah, you've been talking about him for a while.  Both here and on other forums.  I personally think he's jeff George 2.0 but at least the Colts didn't spend the #1 pick on him.

37 minutes ago, cbear said:

So other than the stories floating about, can someone point to documented incidents that question his personality.  Did he get into a fight, suspension, pull a moss, booze it up on instagram, anything? 

He mentioned in his soon interview today a lot of those stories came from early on his career and he has grown and matured. So he didn’t come deny them just said things have changed. This guy isn’t a loose cannon. I just think he needs someone to show him the way.  I don’t worry about his character at all.  Just needs a mentor. His interviews today were very impressive.

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He mentioned in his soon interview today a lot of those stories came from early on his career and he has grown and matured. So he didn’t come deny them just said things have changed. This guy isn’t a loose cannon. I just think he needs someone to show him the way.  I don’t worry about his character at all.  Just needs a mentor. His interviews today were very impressive.

What I would want to know is his mental state when he was starting for UGA, then after leaving UGA.  He was highly recruited, I think played pretty well at UGA, then lost his job to Fromm after an injury.  Then transferred and had to sit out a year.  You know, that crash and change can have a mental impact on a young person.  Kind of lost and depressed, which can impact how much energy you can put into things.  Its easy to say these kids and football players need to just suck it up, be positive and such, but major let down and change like that can take a couple of years to truly get over.

45 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Kelly has never gotten a REAL shot to be considered potentially good or not.

Curious, how do you know what kind of shot he has been given? He may have been given many shots over the season to be prepared for practices that he did not do well at. Just because you didn't witness the opportunity, doesn't mean it hasn't occurred. 

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

Curious, how do you know what kind of shot he has been given? He may have been given many shots over the season to be prepared for practices that he did not do well at. Just because you didn't witness the opportunity, doesn't mean it hasn't occurred. 

No one knows really but common sense says that didn't happen, only because Hoyer would have to second rep just because of moment that JB got hurt. Based on monetary contract and depth chart, my guess he didn't get much more than mental aspect of things

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But let’s not pretend he doesn’t have issues simply because he’s now a Colt. 

I too have not seen this "pretending there are no issues" crap. What I have seen is the "He has all these issues...therefore he is a bad pick" crap. 

"You just don’t like being told you’re wrong, even when you are.  Deal with it.  You’re wrong.   Get over yourself.

No, that isn't me saying this to you, just showing that you are going a bit overboard.  

54 minutes ago, J@son said:

It’ll bring competition, but there is no way Chad Kelly makes this team over Eason. Zero. If he stays on, it’s because JB is traded or cut. 

39 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Agreed, I taught he came across very well on the interview posted up online by the Colts. Seemed very genuine and grateful for the opportunity. 

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

To be clear...   I didn’t mean to broadly say posters are saying he doesn’t have issues.   But a number of them are pushing back hard on Eason’s attitude, work ethic, and off field issues.   They refuse to accept it.   They argue it’s overblown or overstated.   They argue Ballard would not draft such a player.  
They don’t want to believe it’s true. 

It’s not one poster...   there are a decent number of posters saying this in various threads. 

At some point, there’s a level if denial here.  And they’re disbelieving because Eason is now a Colt. 

I’ve gone on record saying I wasn’t a fan of this pick.  With that said I understand it and I also trust Ballard.  I am sure he was aware of the personality concerns and I am also sure he did his homework on them.  I am not saying they don’t exist because I honestly don’t know.  What I do know is that they got a kid who has late first round / early second round talent in the fourth round.  I also know the Colts have some really good teachers in Reich, Rivers, and yes Brissett (Luck mentioned several times how Jacoby helped him see things.). When you combine those two things he’s worth the risk in the fourth round because if he pans out they might have just gotten their future QB in the Fourth round.  

If he doesn’t work out it will stink to have missed on a fourth round pick but it’s better than missing on a first or second rounder or worse yet trading up and giving up more to get a QB and missing.  

This is a low risk even with the red flags with the chance for a high reward.  If you aren’t going to force a QB pick high and you aren’t in position to get one of the top two or three QBs in the draft this is the kind of risk you have to take.  

Personally I am concerned about the lack of mobility and the fact he struggles badly under pressure.  With that said I am going to hope for the best because he’s now a Colt.  What else can I do?  I can’t go back and undo the pick even if I don’t like it.  

14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I’ve gone on record saying I wasn’t a fan of this pick.  With that said I understand it and I also trust Ballard.  I am sure he was aware of the personality concerns and I am also sure he did his homework on them.  I am not saying they don’t exist because I honestly don’t know.  What I do know is that they got a kid who has late first round / early second round talent in the fourth round.  I also know the Colts have some really good teachers in Reich, Rivers, and yes Brissett (Luck mentioned several times how Jacoby helped him see things.). When you combine those two things he’s worth the risk in the fourth round because if he pans out they might have just gotten their future QB in the Fourth round.  

If he doesn’t work out it will stink to have missed on a fourth round pick but it’s better than missing on a first or second rounder or worse yet trading up and giving up more to get a QB and missing.  

This is a low risk even with the red flags with the chance for a high reward.  If you aren’t going to force a QB pick high and you aren’t in position to get one of the top two or three QBs in the draft this is the kind of risk you have to take.  

Personally I am concerned about the lack of mobility and the fact he struggles badly under pressure.  With that said I am going to hope for the best because he’s now a Colt.  What else can I do?  I can’t go back and undo the pick even if I don’t like it.  

Well said. Imagine what will happen with the Packers if Love isn’t the Patrick Mahomes 2.0 people are making him out to be.

I don't know what we can expect from Eason. If I'm honest, outside of my top 3, Burrow/Tua/Hurts, nobody else excited me enough to draft at all, not surprised that the Patriots didn't draft a qb for instance. 

We'll see what happens, for now, he is insurance we have someone under contract next year who is familiar w our system, but I trust Reich and Ballard to get the best out of him, what that is, is remained to be seen. 

Archived