Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Jacob Eason QB Washington

Just now, The Peytonator said:

Kenny Moore is an such a great Colt 

I am so proud of the leader he has turned into.

Just now, The Peytonator said:

Kenny Moore is an such a great Colt 

I am so proud of the leader he has turned into.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Goodbye Brissett 

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

They aren’t close. Eason has confidence in his arm and will throw it down field. He isn’t lacking in confidence. The nfl is trending to more mobile QB so that might be another reason he dropped. But with this oline he should be fine. Rivers is very similar so it’s a great mentor. He seems really excited to be landing here. 

Any QB taken in the 4th round is a roll.of the dice.

GMs passed on the guy 121 times.

Kid has a rocket of an arm... that is it!  He does have pedigree, his dad Tony Eason led the Patriots under Parcell to the SB which the Bears just ate them up.  I am not sure how much he got from his dad because his films show poor mechanics and undisciplined reads. This throws have no touch. 

Jacob Eason should count his blessing to come to the Colts. If he seriously takes his coaching and gets mentoring, he does have the physical attributes to be a top QB.  He needs to really write off his UGA experience and totally dedicate himself for this Colt opportunity. 

He has to beat out Chad Kelly during training camp. That is not an easy feat.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
Just now, TrueBlue12 said:

Any QB taken in the 4th round is a roll.of the dice.

GMs passed on the guy 121 times.

Without question guys taken in fourth round have flaws.  However in the case of Eason the tools are there minus so mobility to be a starter in the NFL.  It’s a question of can you develop him.  If the Colts can they may have gotten a steal.  No he’s not going to be a Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck but if developed right he could be a good starter.  So it’s low risk chance at high reward and this coming from someone who isn’t a big fan of Eason but I understand the pick.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, AustexColt said:

Kid has a rocket of an arm... that is it!  He does have pedigree, his dad Tony Eason led the Patriots under Parcell to the SB which the Bears just ate them up.  I am not sure how much he got from his dad because his films show poor mechanics and undisciplined reads. This throws have no touch. 

Jacob Eason should count his blessing to come to the Colts. If he seriously takes his coaching and gets mentoring, he does have the physical attributes to be a top QB.  He needs to really write off his UGA experience and totally dedicate himself for this Colt opportunity. 

The Colts didn’t take him if the fourth round if they thought there was a real chance he couldn’t beat out Chad Kelly.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s ridiculous how long he lasted.

I’d be curious to see what many people know about this Washington team. What type of receivers or running game did he have to compliment his skills? Was his oline any good? Did his defense give him the ball back or force the team into being one dimensional as a passing team to catch up? I’ve never watched that team. 

55 minutes ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

IMHO he's a project guy, and projects can either be success or bust. So this pick is a little bit gambling, but a GM can gamble in rnd. 4. 

I’m certain the Pats never picked Brady and said some day, this skinny kid is going to be a goat candidate. Sometimes, a team and a player just match up and click, often times they don’t. Eason will definitely have an opportunity to learn and then succeed if he wants it bad enough. Great structure in place for his success. 

44 minutes ago, James said:

Wow. What a cannon.

Gotta be a top 5 arm in the NFL even now.

I recall Jamarcus Russell and that cannon arm. It amounted to nothing because his head didn’t match the arm. Let’s hope Eason’s head matches the arm better. What was his wonderlick score?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Mort isn’t the only guy saying these things.   EVERYONE IS.   Why do you think someone with his physical tools lasts until the middle of R4?   The kid has issues. 

Yeah well  be that as it may, he’s not being taken to start tomorrow. Most 4th round picks are not immediate starters. 

Just now, AustexColt said:

So now the Colts have two QBs with "pedigrees". Jim Kelly's nephew and Tony Eason's offspring. That and about 2 dollars will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

3 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

Kid has a rocket of an arm... that is it!  He does have pedigree, his dad Tony Eason led the Patriots under Parcell to the SB which the Bears just ate them up.  I am not sure how much he got from his dad...

Wrong Tony Eason.

• Thanks 2
31 minutes ago, krunk said:

As high as Herbert was taken if Eason turns out to be better then we really dug up a jewel. They dont look that much different when you cut on the tape

eason reminds me of big ben .  i think he will end up being like dak prescott not great  but good enough to franchise

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Without question guys taken in fourth round have flaws.  However in the case of Eason the tools are there minus so mobility to be a starter in the NFL.  It’s a question of can you develop him.  If the Colts can they may have gotten a steal.  No he’s not going to be a Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck but if developed right he could be a good starter.  So it’s low risk chance at high reward and this coming from someone who isn’t a big fan of Eason but I understand the pick.

I agree. I mentioned the Zach Banner pick in the 4th round for a reason. By the time you get to the 4th round all.the athletes have flaws. You win some. You lose some. Its' a roll.of the dice.

57 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Yea he's got a cannon. We should stuff him in it and shoot him back to Washington State. :rock:

I’m glad to see your thread got locked. You’ve made your opinion clear in here. That’s enough.

Thankfully Ballard and co. disagree with you. 

• Like 1

Also keep in mind, Eason has only played 23 game. 10 at Georgia and 13 this year so there is not a lot of game film on the kid

13 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

You are in the minority with this opinion

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Also keep in mind, Eason has only played 23 game. 10 at Georgia and 13 this year so there is not a lot of game film on the kid

This. He is as much of a project as Love is. Love actually has more college games.  

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yeah well  be that as it may, he’s not being taken to start tomorrow. Most 4th round picks are not immediate starters. 

I understand that.   I am NOT complaining about the pick.   Taking Eason with a 4th round pick is a safe investment.

im only trying to explain to some posters who are in complete denial about JE.   They refuse to believe the problems that have been widely reported for months.   Eason’s problems aren’t not a secret.   The whole NFL passed on him for three and a half rounds.   

ESPN raved about the Colts taking Eason.   Said it was the perfect team, perfect culture and perfect head coach.  Great fit.   I’m on board.  

I’m just saying the kids issues are real and not overblown it unfounded, which have been tossed about here. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
24 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't know if there's any reasonable landing spot for JB right now, at least not in a trade. If my team is remotely interested in JB, wouldn't I also be interested in Cam Newton and Jameis Winston? 

I think he'll be cut, or traded for a late conditional pick. Or sit on our bench for a year, which is good as insurance, but bad for value. 

Agree...but JB if traded would come much much cheaper since we would probably foot most of the bill on the contract for this year and isn’t going to come with any baggage. That said I do think he stays.

Watching the Chad Kelley video, coming fro Ole Miss, looks like his 2 WR's may been underclassman A.J Brown and D.K Metcalf.  He did have some nice throws though, after all it is highlights.

I'm OK going with Phillip Rivers, Jacob Eason, and Chad Kelley.

Nothing personal against Brissett but it is a business and he is taking a lot of salary cap space for which he could sign another free agent.  It looks like Irsay, Ballard, and Reich is going all in this year and I like it. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Without question guys taken in fourth round have flaws.  However in the case of Eason the tools are there minus so mobility to be a starter in the NFL.  

Chris Landry (scout/consultant) has his grade as mid 2nd round, yet still projected him to the Colts in round 4 pre-draft.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This. He is as much of a project as Love is. Love actually has more college games.  

Mid rd picks...they all have weaknesses and things they have to work on....it’s on them whether they do the work and have the intangibles that will lead them to success. Whether it’s Eason or someone else..it’s now on him to do the work...he has a great organization to learn in...could have ended up in no mans land like Jacksonville or the Jets etc.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, J@son said:

Watch his tape analysis of Washington vs Oregon.  He missed scoring 14 points on misreads and took a sack losing the game.  

Just now, AustexColt said:

Watch his tape analysis of Washington vs Oregon.  He missed scoring 14 points on misreads and took a sack losing the game.  

I forgot eason only played one game in college 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
38 minutes ago, TrueBlue12 said:

If you read Eason's scouting report and you read Brissett's scouting report from several years ago, they are vey similar. Big arm. Can make every throw. Big stature. Limited mobility. Questionable reads especially under pressure.

Brissett was picked #91 in the 3rd round by the Pats. Eason #122 in the 4th round.

It's a roll of the dice.

1 BIG difference in there scouting reports is the WILLINGNESS to press the field and throw deep. looking at tape Eason's arm is much stronger than JB's. If Eason has anything going for himself its a cannon of an arm.

16 minutes ago, J@son said:

Actually he is not. Eason has terrible intangibles. For some reason a lot on here can't stand Kelly, which is a complete head scratcher.

• Haha 1
21 minutes ago, James said:

I’m glad to see your thread got locked. You’ve made your opinion clear in here. That’s enough.

Thankfully Ballard and co. disagree with you. 

Yea and thankfully you have a great sense of Humor :sarcasm:

3 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Actually he is not. Eason has terrible intangibles. For some reason a lot on here can't stand Kelly, which is a complete head scratcher.

I'm entirely indifferent on Chad Kelly. The head scratcher is anyone acting like they know whether he's good or not.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Indeee said:

I’d bet more people than not think a fourth round pick Eason isn’t going to have a problem beating out Chad Kelly for a roster spot so I agree with Jason those that feel otherwise are in the minority.  

That doesn’t mean Eason doesn’t have flaws.  He does but I don’t see the Colts drafting him in the fourth round if they didn’t think he could beat out Chad Kelly.  

32 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I recall Jamarcus Russell and that cannon arm. It amounted to nothing because his head didn’t match the arm. Let’s hope Eason’s head matches the arm better. What was his wonderlick score?

NFL Draft Wonderlic Scores by QB 2020

12. Tua Tagovailoa (13)

11. Jalen Hurts (18)

10. James Morgan (23)

9. Jacob Eason (23)

8. Justin Herbert (25)

7. Brian Lewerke (25)

6. Anthony Gordon (25)

5. Jordan Love (27)

4. Jake Luton (29)

3. Joe Burrow (34)

2. Jake Fromm (35)

1. Nate Stanley (40)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm entirely indifferent on Chad Kelly. The head scratcher is anyone acting like they know whether he's good or not.

He being who? Eason or Kelly?

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well if nothing else he will replace Andrew Luck’s role for terrible facial hair on the roster.

Isn't that the truth. Either have a decent moustache or none at all...lol

34 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I understand that.   I am NOT complaining about the pick.   Taking Eason with a 4th round pick is a safe investment.

im only trying to explain to some posters who are in complete denial about JE.   They refuse to believe the problems that have been widely reported for months.   Eason’s problems aren’t not a secret.   The whole NFL passed on him for three and a half rounds.   

ESPN raved about the Colts taking Eason.   Said it was the perfect team, perfect culture and perfect head coach.  Great fit.   I’m on board.  

I’m just saying the kids issues are real and not overblown it unfounded, which have been tossed about here. 

Man, seriously please save the pretentious crap. No one is 'in complete denial' of anything. Yes there were reports that questioned easons work ethic, but that has happened before with other prospects and been proven false. It's also happened with other prospects and proven to be true. I'm not saying that its definitelvely false in this case though you are saying it is definitely true because 'a lot of people said it'. 

My point as well as the point of others who've said similar things is that there are other documented and proven issues with eason that explain his slide that have nothing to do with work ethic. He has a tendency to crap the bed against pressure. His footwork is inconsistent.  Etc. 

I simply do not believe that Ballard, of all gms, would take eason no matter how much talent was there if Ballard thought there was any substance to the speculation about easons questionable work ethic. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
8 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Yes he is. Eason has issues yes but to say he has a cannon arm and nothing else is hilariously false

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, J@son said:

Yes he is. Eason has issues yes but to say he has a cannon arm and nothing else is hilariously false

Well as one example, Rotoworld seems to agree with me

Colts selected Washington QB Jacob Eason with the No. 122 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Eason (6’6/231) began his collegiate career at Georgia, but after a rocky 1.5 seasons, he opted to transfer to Washington where he started as a junior. With the Huskies, he only tossed 12 touchdowns to seven interceptions in his nine games against the beatable Pac-12 Conference. He’s always looked the part on the field and certainly has the high-end arm strength scouts look for, but his anticipation, accuracy, and short-area touch must improve to earn a starting job in the NFL because he lacks the athleticism to mask any in-pocket concerns. The former five-star recruit “rushed” for a not so nice -69 yards last season, constantly losing extra yards on sacks while thinking he was more athletic than he is. Eason is best viewed as a project who will undoubtedly receive more chances to develop than other NFL backups given his size, arm strength, and pedigree. Philip Rivers is only under contract for the 2020 season.

Waste of a pick.