Indianapolis Colts
CR91

Colts select Jacob Eason QB Washington

Waste of a pick unless you’re going to carry 3QB’s and guarantee him the 3rd spot.  JB shouldn’t be dealt anywhere.  If Glowinski gets our 39 year old statue of a QB killed the season would be over.  Who knows how much training camp work rookies will get this year.  The Colts already have a devo QB.  I like Kelly but I highly doubt he’s ready to be the #2 since he primarily ran the scout team so moving JB would be dumb unless they need the cap space to sign someone.  At this point JB’s cap hit means nothing unless they want to sign someone else to the roster and his cap hit is prohibiting that from happening. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

I was talking about Eason's combination of arm talent and reported immaturity were similar to George, not the round. Jeff George would not have worked out for us, no matter what round he was selected.

True, but had JG been drafted in the 4th round, your comparison would have likely never been made, because he wouldn't have even been remembered. It's all good. 

• Thanks 1

The Colts brought Decker in to 'skull' check these picks. He passed that hurdle, so I'm going to go ahead like our odds!

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, CR91 said:

There is no way Ballard drafts a guy with work ethic issues. His staff had to have looked into that and found nothing that was concerning. 

See below-

1 minute ago, Douzer said:

The Colts brought Decker in to 'skull' check these picks. He passed that hurdle, so I'm going to go ahead like our odds!

As pointed out, Brian Decker's input is involved in all draft and FA selections.

I think if you set your expectations to be realistic, it will all be good.  How many QBs in the like the 35 years drafted below round 2 amount to a good NFL QB? I can think of Montana, Brady, and Russell Wilson. There's a few guys like Kirk Cousins.  So my point is, if Eason never amounts to anything, that is to almost expected.  But if he is developed, he could be a steal.

Wow. What a cannon.

Gotta be a top 5 arm in the NFL even now.

• Like 1

Just now, James said:

Wow. What a cannon.

Gotta be a top 5 arm in the NFL even now.

Yea he's got a cannon. We should stuff him in it and shoot him back to Washington State. :rock:

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, J@son said:

I mean... Prove it.  You can't. It wouldn't be the first time evaluators questioned work ethic and/or charachter in a prospect and were proven wrong. 

Huh?    Why do you think the QB with the best arm and the best body lasted until the middle of the 4th round. 

Everyone is saying the same thing.   It’s not a secret.   The proof is being drafted as late as he was.   

Million dollar arm.  10 cent head.  Sorry. 

And I’m fine with picking him where we did.   He’s worth the investment.  I’m only saying there’s a reason he went this late.   Let’s not sugar coat them because he’s now a Colt.  

50 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Probably both, ive said before that Kelly has a better future in the XFL. Not sure why so many here were big on a preseason guy. I like the pick. Is he our future? :dunno: 

XFL folded!

Jacoby is still the best QB on this team

At handing the ball off and not throwing more than 10 yards

• Like 1

LOL, Now we have our QB of the future and what's better to be tutored from.  Success long term for this team....Way to go Ballard.

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?    Why do you think the QB with the best arm and the best body lasted until the middle of the 4th round. 

Everyone is saying the same thing.   It’s not a secret.   The proof is being drafted as late as he was.   

And I’m fine with picking him where we did.   He’s worth the investment.  I’m only saying there’s a reason he went this late.   Let’s not sugar coat them because he’s now a Colt.  

Look at the end of the day, it's a fourth round pick. The colts obviously see something they feel they can develop. Worst comes to worst, he's our backup. No one is handing the kid the keys to the franchise.

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't be surprised if this pick took so long to come in (all of our others were immediate "the pick is in") because Frank & CB were deciding between Fromm & Eason.  Frank probably wanted Fromm and CB & majority of staff wanted Eason. 

When you look at his college career it's kinda odd.  He was the top QB in the country by many rankings coming out of high school.  Plays decent as a true freshman in the SEC.  Then gets hurt sophomore year.  Then has to sit a year in transfer.  Then finally plays again this past season and plays better than his freshman year (as he should I suppose) but doesn't light it up.

CB thinks that top prospect might still be in there somewhere...  I hope the work ethic and accountability concerns don't prove to be true.  Hope he was just frustrated at the circumstances of not being able to play for a couple years and not skyrocketing into the NFL like many figured he would after his Junior season.  

He's a Colt now.  So I'll be cheering for him and hope that top prospect coming out of high school is ready to become the pro stud that many envisioned him being 4 years ago.

• Like 1

There seems to be some confusion... We took him in the 4th round. Not 4th overall. The first round was Thursday.... At least that's my assumption as to why people are mad we didn't take a day one Hall of famer in the 4th... Lol 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Superman said:

With as much as Ballard and Reich talk about character and leadership, I'm confident that they're okay with Eason's attitude and work ethic. I'm not downplaying or dismissing those rumors about him, but they didn't draft a QB with those kind of rumors without doing a ton of research on him.

Here's something that I don't see mentioned in the thread...

The Colts are the betting favorite to win the AFC South . Also about the 12th favorite to win the SB. They really do have a nice roster . Chances are they should be a 9 win team if they can avoid major injuries. 

That said , if this happens , where do we stand next year ? Rivers will be a 39 year old free agent. Kelly ... ehh ... ehhh ... they waived him a couple times and resigned to the practice squad last year. Do you really think this might be our QB of the future. So now you can resign an old guy that might be in his last year and go into the 2021 draft picking around 20th. To move to say 3rd or 4th ii order to select a really highly touted guy , you will be giving up P 20 , plus your second and probably your 2022 first. 

IMO... the pick makes so much sense as Eason has the size and arm talent to be a franchise QB. Plus you gain a year of grooming your next QB . If he actually has a poor work ethic and can't hack it in the NFL , you lost very little draft capital.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

From the little I've read it seems like he has many of Jacobys shortcomings. Poor field vision, lack of anticipation, one read and run.

After last year I'd rather have the guy with the mental aspects in place and work on the physical.  I think I'd have gone with Fromm if I HAD to go qb this year.  But obviously hope the best for the kid.  Welcome to Indy.

I agree here, from the little I recall, Fromm has most all skills except a strong arm but it’s not a noodle arm. Brains over Braun for me. I trust that our team really dug deep into every aspect of these guys and felt they had a better chance of going with who they picked. Fromm is still available. 

47 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

I don't see any way Brissett stays on the team.  Colts aren't going to carry 3 QBs on active roster.  So one has to go.  Rivers and Eason are safe.  I think they need to trade Brissett today.

Rivers is safe, none of the others should be buying a house in Indy or signing a long lease. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Douzer said:

Good point!

The pick doesn’t really excite me nor does it mean Jacoby is gone imo. Jacoby was a third rd pick...and while not a great qb is borderline startable but certainly top level back up in this league. Eason has a ton of work to do to even get to that level...good thing for him...he has a good organization and coach to learn under. Personally I was hoping to trade the pick to GB for Rodgers since they seem to respect him so little. But what do I know.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The pick doesn’t really excite me nor does it mean Jacoby is gone imo. Jacoby was a third rd pick...and while not a great qb is borderline startable but certainly top level back up in this league. Eason has a ton of work to do to even get to that level...good thing for him...he has a good organization and coach to learn under. Personally I was hoping to trade the pick to GB for Rodgers since they seem to respect him so little. But what do I know.

Not much if the last bit about GB isn't a Dumb joke.....

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And I've already mentioned the other reasons for his slide that had nothing to do with questionable work ethic. 

• Sad 1

As high as Herbert was taken if Eason turns out to be better then we really dug up a jewel. They dont look that much different when you cut on the tape

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

As high as Herbert was taken if Eason turns out to be better then we really dug up a jewel. They dont look that much different when you cut on the tape

Herbert is far more athletic, in and out of the pocket.

• Like 1

If you read Eason's scouting report and you read Brissett's scouting report from several years ago, they are vey similar. Big arm. Can make every throw. Big stature. Limited mobility. Questionable reads especially under pressure.

Brissett was picked #91 in the 3rd round by the Pats. Eason #122 in the 4th round.

It's a roll of the dice.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He is saying so many great things in his interview. 

"Compete my nuts off" lmao

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lennymoore24 said:

I don't see any way Brissett stays on the team.  Colts aren't going to carry 3 QBs on active roster.  So one has to go.  Rivers and Eason are safe.  I think they need to trade Brissett today.

I agree 100%.  Brissett will not be on the roster this year.  He had to absorb the Rivers signing and now this.  That's a lot for the player and the team to deal with.  I'm thinking Ballard will try to move him and try to recoup something in a trade.  If that fails I think he will be cut and we will incur a 12.5M dead cap hit but save 9M on the cap.  Kelly was the backup in Denver before  his problems there.  He is capable enough to be our backup here while Eason develops. We going to lose JB at the end of the year regardless.  This pick just forces it to happen sooner.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Here's something that I don't see mentioned in the thread...

The Colts are the betting favorite to win the AFC South . Also about the 12th favorite to win the SB. They really do have a nice roster . Chances are they should be a 9 win team if they can avoid major injuries. 

That said , if this happens , where do we stand next year ? Rivers will be a 39 year old free agent. Kelly ... ehh ... ehhh ... they waived him a couple times and resigned to the practice squad last year. Do you really think this might be our QB of the future. So now you can resign an old guy that might be in his last year and go into the 2021 draft picking around 20th. To move to say 3rd or 4th ii order to select a really highly touted guy , you will be giving up P 20 , plus your second and probably your 2022 first. 

IMO... the pick makes so much sense as Eason has the size and arm talent to be a franchise QB. Plus you gain a year of grooming your next QB . If he actually has a poor work ethic and can't hack it in the NFL , you lost very little draft capital.

Yup. I always try to keep in mind that the draft is for the future, not the present. So having a guy with obvious talent that might have a chance at starting in a year or two works for me, especially at QB. And because we didn't commit major resources to him, it's not like having him will prevent the team from pulling the trigger on a better prospect in the future, if they feel it's appropriate to do so.

I'm totally fine with this pick. Guys who throw like him aren't common, and getting him in the fourth and allowing him to sit on the bench for a while could be very valuable for us moving forward.

If you read Eason's scouting report and you read Brissett's scouting report from several years ago, they are vey similar. Big arm. Can make every throw. Big stature. Limited mobility. Questionable reads especially under pressure.

Brissett was picked #91 in the 3rd round by the Pats. Eason #122 in the 4th round.

It's a roll of the dice.

1 hour ago, J@son said:

I'm not concerned about his perceived lack of mobility. I think it's highly overblown. I am concerned about how he handles pressure but hopefully they can coach him up in that regard. He was my favorite QB prospect outside the top 4.  I like this pick :)

people over estimate mobility    patrick mahomes runs a 4.80 40 time   he has peyton manning speed  and still can run and throw on the move .    when your out running 300 lbs   guys  it makes you look mobile .   jacob eason runs a 4.89 40 time

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I agree 100%.  Brissett will not be on the roster this year.  He had to absorb the Rivers signing and now this.  That's a lot for the player and the team to deal with.  I'm thinking Ballard will try to move him and try to recoup something in a trade.  If that fails I think he will be cut and we will incur a 12.5M dead cap hit but save 9M on the cap.  Kelly was the backup in Denver before  his problems there.  He is capable enough to be our backup here while Eason develops. We going to lose JB at the end of the year regardless.  This pick just forces it to happen sooner.  

I don't know if there's any reasonable landing spot for JB right now, at least not in a trade. If my team is remotely interested in JB, wouldn't I also be interested in Cam Newton and Jameis Winston? 

I think he'll be cut, or traded for a late conditional pick. Or sit on our bench for a year, which is good as insurance, but bad for value. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrueBlue12 said:

It's a roll of the dice.

They aren’t close. Eason has confidence in his arm and will throw it down field. He isn’t lacking in confidence. The nfl is trending to more mobile QB so that might be another reason he dropped. But with this oline he should be fine. Rivers is very similar so it’s a great mentor. He seems really excited to be landing here. 

2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

people over estimate mobility    patrick mahomes runs a 4.80 40 time   he has peyton manning speed  and still can run and throw on the move .    when your out running 300 lbs   guys  it makes you look mobile .   jacob eason runs a 4.89 40 time

Mobility for a QB has little to do with forty time.

Seeing Morgan went right after we picked Eason I wonder if they were debating the two QB.

Eason is probably a better value pick than Zach Banner in the 4th round. Of course, that is a bit of humor.