Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Jacob Eason QB Washington

CR91

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly I think the ‘Rivers will be a great mentor’ idea is overblown. Rivers is here to start, not teach some rookie how to have work ethic. It will be Reich, Sirianni, and Marcus Brady’s job to mold him into our future starting QB. Eason can certainly learn from Rivers and I hope he soaks up everything he can but I’m not going to count Rivers to ‘hold him accountable’, that fire will be reserved for his linemen and receivers. 

1 minute ago, Wyldhorsefan said:

Then why QB here?  Why not go get another wr, or db or lineman build up the depth. Not a fan a QB picked here.

My comment was sarcasm for the complaints that the QB selected has issues. Of course he has issues.....he wouldn't have made it out of the top 10 if he didn't. If those same complaints were that fans didn't want a QB, its all good. But complaining about ANY player in the fourth round about "issues", is silly. They all have issues on day 3. 

4 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

I'll remain open minded about him.  Obviously hoping for the best, and I'm not gonna kill anyone over the pick.  If Ballard and Reich agree his shortcomings, including work ethic, are worth the shot, I'm up for watching it unfold.

With as much as Ballard and Reich talk about character and leadership, I'm confident that they're okay with Eason's attitude and work ethic. I'm not downplaying or dismissing those rumors about him, but they didn't draft a QB with those kind of rumors without doing a ton of research on him.

25 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

He wasn’t my guy but I like his arm talent. My biggest concern for him is the rumors of poor work ethic. I trust Ballard and Reich to have done their homework and get the best out of him. 

Hopefully being a 4th round pick and understanding that everyone around him is working hard or going home to pick up a 9-5 job making much less than a minimum contract football paycheck will. Is he a humbled guy that  thinking he was a lock as a first rounder and 2nd at best, does that motivate him? We are going to at least see. We already know that CB will cut anyone. 

37 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

This is how he’s described on CBS Sports....another big lmao  

Jacob Eason QB, WASH

Height: 6-6, Weight: 231

Play-through-the-whistle mauler in the run game with minimal effectiveness (and experience) in pass protection. Heavy-footed and lacks lateral agility or recovery skill. Very one-dimensional player. (Chris Trapasso)

Chris Landry projected to the Colts in round 4 before the draft. Here's his thought-

4 (122). QB Jacob Eason, Washington – Despite what they say, the Colts’ actions do not point to a team willing to go back to Jacoby Brissett after their year or two with Philip Rivers. Eason has a massive arm, but leaves a lot to be desired in terms of handling disruption and a feel for the play unfolding around him.

Excellent pick and investment, great value for a mid 4th round draft choice.  Lindy's draft magazine has him rated as a 1st round pick.   Experience seems to be one of the issues.  He can sit and learn behind Phillip Rivers for 2 years.  Rivers said he only wants to play 2 more years, so he he can coach his son who will starting high school football.

If we hit the jackpot, we get a top tier NFL QB, at worst, we used a 4th round draft choice on a back-up QB.  

Not sure what this means for Jacoby Brissett.  Could trade him for draft choices for this year or next year and lesson our salary cap, could sign another quality free agent to add what we already got.

4 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

Honestly I think the ‘Rivers will be a great mentor’ idea is overblown. Rivers is here to start, not teach some rookie how to have work ethic. It will be Reich, Sirianni, and Marcus Brady’s job to mold him into our future starting QB. Eason can certainly learn from Rivers and I hope he soaks up everything he can but I’m not going to count Rivers to ‘hold him accountable’, that fire will be reserved for his linemen and receivers. 

I totally agree with u. However, I believe that Rivers will not be afraid to call out Eason if the effort isn't there. Rivers can also serve as a great role model given his own work ethic.  That is all I expect Rivers to do. The development is on Reich and the coaches.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

With as much as Ballard and Reich talk about character and leadership, I'm confident that they're okay with Eason's attitude and work ethic. I'm not downplaying or dismissing those rumors about him, but they didn't draft a QB with those kind of rumors without doing a ton of research on him.

Thank you! 

Not real excited about the pick.  It makes a lot of sense, just a lot of questions.  I guess its always hard for me to get excited about 4th round picks and later.

And I'm still stewing over what NE did in the 3rd.  Got a TE and an H Back.  Look very althletic and play making.  Just get them the ball and they can beat ILBs and Ss.  Wish we could get those kinds of guys.

15 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Well, we would have had to take Eason at the top of round 1 for that to be even close to a comparison. 

I was talking about Eason's combination of arm talent and reported immaturity were similar to George, not the round. Jeff George would not have worked out for us, no matter what round he was selected.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Do these teams send players hats before the draft lol. This is a perfect place for him. He will have a chance to be the future.

So you're OK with eason over Gordon? Genuinely curious :)

Eason was always my favorite outside the top 4

Just now, CR91 said:

There is no way Ballard drafts a guy with work ethic issues. His staff had to have looked into that and found nothing that was concerning. 

It’s possible that with his talent they decided to just take a chance. Fourth round is low risk. This guy has 1st rd talent. Get him in and see if FA true and see if rivers can make him a pro.  If not he will be a backup or be gone. 

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Do these teams send players hats before the draft lol. This is a perfect place for him. He will have a chance to be the future.

They get a draft kit, which includes all the tech for the draft. I assume they also get a hat for every team, maybe some other merch as well.

6 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I would take him or Luton over Herbert

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s ridiculous how long he lasted.

Didn't Chad Kelly have massive arm and highlight throws too, in the SEC?

Maybe competition between the two for future starter? CK has the 'familiarity edge'.

1 minute ago, Orioles22 said:

I hated the idea of reaching for a quarterback, but the fourth round is perfect. I wish we'd move Brissett and get another pick.

Good spot for getting the QB.  With JB's salary, and contract ending, his value in trade is nil at this time.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

There is no way Ballard drafts a guy with work ethic issues. His staff had to have looked into that and found nothing that was concerning. 

Q. Wilson, Z. Banner, T. Lewis are a couple of guys that the coaches have explicitly stated, they needed to practice harder, a.k.a. Work ethic concerns.

Ballard is a good GM, but he’s not without blemishes.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Oh yes. This is a no brainer over Gordon. Eason as 1st rd talent. 

OK I can't help but notice your opinion of eason seems to have changed now that he's been drafted. Pre-draft all I ever saw you say was no to eason because 'he's slow' :P lol

36 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Probably both, ive said before that Kelly has a better future in the XFL. Not sure why so many here were big on a preseason guy. I like the pick. Is he our future? :dunno: 

IMHO he's a project guy, and projects can either be success or bust. So this pick is a little bit gambling, but a GM can gamble in rnd. 4. 

1 minute ago, Flash7 said:

Q. Wilson, Z. Banner, T. Lewis are a couple of guys that the coaches have explicitly stated, they needed to practice harder, a.k.a. Work ethic concerns.

Ballard is a good GM, but he’s not without blemishes.

Were there concerns about work ethic on those players Pre-draft? I don't recall hearing that about any of them. 

Archived