Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Jacob Eason QB Washington

CR91

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The biggest problem is he lacks mobility and does not do well under pressure.  So the Colts will have some work to do.  The good news is that he has some good teachers in Reich and Rivers.

I'm not concerned about his perceived lack of mobility. I think it's highly overblown. I am concerned about how he handles pressure but hopefully they can coach him up in that regard. He was my favorite QB prospect outside the top 4.  I like this pick :)

A year to develop under a veteran like Phillip Rivers? Sign me up! What I didn’t like to hear was Chris Mortensen saying his work ethic is questionable. If he has problems working, he won’t be here long. 

I’m hopeful! I’m on any draft pick of ours side so can’t wait to see him in training camp and the preseason

Just now, J@son said:

I'm not concerned about his perceived lack of mobility. I think it's highly overblown. I am concerned about how he handles pressure but hopefully they can coach him up in that regard. He was my favorite QB prospect outside the top 4.  I like this pick :)

Peyton never had mobility either does Brady and there still hall of famers. 

15 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

This is how he’s described on CBS Sports....another big lmao  

Jacob Eason QB, WASH

Height: 6-6, Weight: 231

Play-through-the-whistle mauler in the run game with minimal effectiveness (and experience) in pass protection. Heavy-footed and lacks lateral agility or recovery skill. Very one-dimensional player. (Chris Trapasso)

A

Clearly there’s been a glitch there.  That is NOT the profile for Jacob Eason.  
That’s the profile for some offensive lineman. 

8 minutes ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

We will see how far can he go here. I wonder what it means for other QBs on the roster. Kelly  will more likely be cut, or Jacoby traded?

Probably both, ive said before that Kelly has a better future in the XFL. Not sure why so many here were big on a preseason guy. I like the pick. Is he our future? :dunno: 

1 minute ago, The Peytonator said:

My biggest concern for him is the rumors of poor work ethic. I trust Ballard and Reich to have done their homework and get the best out of him. 

That’s what I heard too from ESPN, hopefully he takes advantage of his opportunity here. If he loves football, he will  make the best of his time here. Glad we brought in Rivers now more than ever

1 minute ago, ColtsBlitz said:

A year to develop under a veteran like Phillip Rivers? Sign me up! What I didn’t like to hear was Chris Mortensen saying his work ethic is questionable. If he has problems working, he won’t be here long. 

I’m hopeful! I’m on any draft pick of ours side so can’t wait to see him in training camp and the preseason

The work ethic is a concern if true. What made Brady and Peyton so great they out worked everyone. 

As Colts fans, we of all fan bases, after watching Manning’s prolific career, should understand that arm strength is very low on the important traits a QB should have.

First and foremost should be the QB’s work ethic, ability to learn, improve, and make split second decisions.

Jacoby Brissett has great arm strength but lacks where it really matters. Let’s hope Eason is more than a guy who throws a fast ball.

From the little I've read it seems like he has many of Jacobys shortcomings. Poor field vision, lack of anticipation, one read and run.

After last year I'd rather have the guy with the mental aspects in place and work on the physical.  I think I'd have gone with Fromm if I HAD to go qb this year.  But obviously hope the best for the kid.  Welcome to Indy.

1 minute ago, ColtsBlitz said:

That’s what I heard too from ESPN, hopefully he takes advantage of his opportunity here. If he loves football, he will  make the best of his time here. Glad we brought in Rivers now more than ever

I believe this was the plan all along to bring in Rivers and also make him sort of a coach to our draft pick. 

6' 5 7/8" & 231 lbs. Strong arm "Rocket arm" per ESPN

Played 12 games as a freshman, hurt his sophomore year,  sat his third year and played 13 games  @ Washington in his senior year. Chris Mortenson he has issues with work ethic and accountability (not good). With the HC and Rivers to  teach him for 1-2 years maybe he will improve. Brissett has one year on his contract so will he be traded this year? My 02, I don't like Mortenson's comment about his issues but I know zero about the guy. I hope he's wrong.

2 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

The work ethic is a concern if true. What made Brady and Peyton so great they out worked everyone. 

I'd read about his work ethic concerns as well. I was much higher on eason before that. However I think there are a lot of concerns or shortcomings that Ballard & Co could overlook in a prospect, but questionable work ethic is not one of them so hopefully them drafting him means those concerns were unfounded or overblown. :)

I was wrong about one thing.  I thought Fromm was their guy if they went qb. I was wrong. However , I think I was right bout one thing. I never thought Love was their type of guy. I said numerous times, I think Reich is old school when it comes to the type of qb he is looking for. Eason is old school. I  think it is a very good pick at this position in the draft. Rivers won't take s..t from Eason and will call him out if the effort isn't there.  If they keep Brissett, he will also challenge Eason if the effort isn't there. I believe they will know very quickly if he is the future. If not, they will move on very quickly.  Fromm is still on the board and his arm strength must be scaring the hell out of teams.

4 minutes ago, King Colt said:

6' 5 7/8" & 231 lbs. Strong arm "Rocket arm" per ESPN

Played 12 games as a freshman, hurt his sophomore year,  sat his third year and played 13 games  @ Washington in his senior year. Chris Mortenson he has issues with work ethic and accountability (not good). With the HC and Rivers to  teach him for 1-2 years maybe he will improve. Brissett has one year on his contract so will he be traded this year? My 02, I don't like Mortenson's comment about his issues but I know zero about the guy. I hope he's wrong.

Mort isn’t the only guy saying these things.   EVERYONE IS.   Why do you think someone with his physical tools lasts until the middle of R4?   The kid has issues. 

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Clearly there’s been a glitch there.  That is NOT the profile for Jacob Eason.  
That’s the profile for some offensive lineman. 

Are you sure about that?  (J/K). Obvious glitch, that’s why I posted it.  

They fixed it since.  

I like it, he’s got all the talent in the world but has some character/work ethic concerns. He gets to come and learn under Frank Reich and Philip Rivers and develop. If he works out, great, if not, it’s not a massive miss in the 4th round. He’s got the talent to be our QB of the future, and Rivers is as good as anyone to be his mentor.

1 minute ago, lennymoore24 said:

I don't see any way Brissett stays on the team.  Colts aren't going to carry 3 QBs on active roster.  So one has to go.  Rivers and Eason are safe.  I think they need to trade Brissett today.

So if Rivers gets hurt, who do u turn the ball over to?  Both Kelly and Eason have big question marks. Eason won't b ready this year.  I am not sure I see the Colts going into the season with Rivers, Eason and Kelly. Honestly, if Eason showed no signs of growth, I could see him being cut before the season begins. I think the Colts will throw a lot at him early to see how he responds.

8 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

From the little I've read it seems like he has many of Jacobys shortcomings. Poor field vision, lack of anticipation, one read and run.

After last year I'd rather have the guy with the mental aspects in place and work on the physical.  I think I'd have gone with Fromm if I HAD to go qb this year.  But obviously hope the best for the kid.  Welcome to Indy.

A guy like JB at 22 years old, on a rookie contract, makes sense as a backup and developmental guy. That same guy at 27, with a large cap hit, who has shown little improvement over three seasons, is a different story.

Just saying I wouldn't have a problem with young JB sitting behind Rivers for a year or two and seeing what he becomes. 

He will either come in and learn to work hard and be a pro or he will be a backup Rhis is the perfect situation for him. This is a steal in the 4th if this works out. At worst we have a future backup. If he doesn’t come in and work hard and doesn’t take to coaching and has a attitude he will be gone. Low risk here with crazy high potential.

5 minutes ago, J@son said:

I'd read about his work ethic concerns as well. I was much higher on eason before that. However I think there are a lot of concerns or shortcomings that Ballard & Co could overlook in a prospect, but questionable work ethic is not one of them so hopefully them drafting him means those concerns were unfounded or overblown. :)

Sorry...   but not unfounded or overblown.   That’s why the kid lasted until the middle if the 4th round.   The whole NFL passed on him repeatedly. 

Can the problems be coached out of him?   Maybe.  But a 4th round pick is a safe investment even if the kid doesn’t pan out.  

15 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Frank and the rest of the offense crew will have their job cut out for them teaching him up, but there is hope! I like hope! 

Yeah, this kid going to really need to be coached up no doubt. But Ballard and co must see something they like. It may be two years until we see him start a regular season game. 

It took a very long time for the pick to come in.  To me it says he likes our current roster and decided to take a chance on a developmental QB.  Lets face it 5th rd and back are depth players for the most part if we are lucky.  He will probably get calls on Jacoby now and will most likely move him now that he can afford to.  I wouldn't be afraid to go with Kelly and Eason as our backups at all.  

8 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

Cannon arm. No doubt. But why pick a QB with a reported work ethic problem?

I hope he isn't Jeff George #2 ... :peek:

Well, we would have had to take Eason at the top of round 1 for that to be even close to a comparison. 

Typical of Ballard.......lots of chatter of talking with Love, Morgan, etc., with no mention of Eason at all. Smoke screens.

Prototypical size with an arm that can hit every spot on the field.

Whatever his blemishes are I'm sure the coaching staff has identified them and will have a plan to correct them (Rivers and Brissett's assistance notwithstanding).

As far as on the field....he was successful his freshman year at Georgia and successful at Washington. Two different schools. Two different offenses. I see that as a plus.

At this spot in the draft you are looking for upside and he has extreme upside.....let's see how it turns out.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Mort isn’t the only guy saying these things.   EVERYONE IS.   Why do you think someone with his physical tools lasts until the middle of R4?   The kid has issues. 

He does have issues. He has a tendency to crap the bed against pressure and he's not as fast as some would like. But I really don't think Ballard would draft a player with questionable work ethic regardless of the amount of talent. So my assumption/hope Is that the work ethic concerns were either overblown or outright false. 

9 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

he was my favorite qb after the first round, but thats not saying a lot.  didnt think much of the others like fromm or hurts

i would cut jacoby next and keep chad.  JB makes too much, chad hardly anything 

I’m really indifferent about this group of QB’s that were left. He definitely looks every bit the part of a QB in regardless to size and arm strength. Everything else concerns me but something hopefully the team can teach and build on over the next two years. I’d doubt he would make it to the PS if we ended up making him a last cut because of his position and his traits. 

I fully agree, if there were any chances that we carry 3 guys at QB again, I’d say let CK and Eason battle it out for the back up spot and potential replacement for Rivers in 1-2 years. JB I could see getting traded for a 2021 pick while we go through TC this year and PS and some team loses a QB to injury. 

12 minutes ago, Nate! said:

Who gets cut in the summer?  Jacoby, Kelly, or Eason?

I say JB. He isn’t a future here and his salary could be used elsewhere. 

Just now, Superman said:

A guy like JB at 22 years old, on a rookie contract, makes sense as a backup and developmental guy. That same guy at 27, with a large cap hit, who has shown little improvement over three seasons, is a different story.

Just saying I wouldn't have a problem with young JB sitting behind Rivers for a year or two and seeing what he becomes. 

I'll remain open minded about him.  Obviously hoping for the best, and I'm not gonna kill anyone over the pick.  If Ballard and Reich agree his shortcomings, including work ethic, are worth the shot, I'm up for watching it unfold.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry...   but not unfounded or overblown.   That’s why the kid lasted until the middle if the 4th round.   The whole NFL passed on him repeatedly. 

I mean... Prove it.  You can't. It wouldn't be the first time evaluators questioned work ethic and/or charachter in a prospect and were proven wrong. 

Archived