Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Baffling 3rd Round Pick

I just want to throw that out there.  I hope this a safe space to express non-conventional, against the grain opinions.

It seems with that and adding an RB that we are not all that serious about this season or are banking on it being cancelled.

• Haha 8
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 2
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are you trying to play victim before the thread even gets started?     Baffling thread...     What?  Did you watch the SB?  Besides a few splash plays like that bomb from Mah

I just want to throw that out there.  I hope this a safe space to express non-conventional, against the grain opinions.   It seems with that and adding an RB that we are not all that serious

I actually think that going bpa with Taylor means we are as serious about this season as we can. Look at the AFC South, apart from Titans, Jags and Texans are shambles. Taylor behind our offensive lin

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, rayski said:

I actually think that going bpa with Taylor means we are as serious about this season as we can. Look at the AFC South, apart from Titans, Jags and Texans are shambles. Taylor behind our offensive line will be solid, he ran for 1977 yards as a freshman and that was his worst season :mindblow:

Julian Blackmon is also an all american ballhawk free safety, if we are fine with his injuries, I'm fine with him on our team.

Agreed and this season will not be cancelled the NFL would lose way too much money if they cancelled.

• Thanks 2

Blackmon won’t play for at least half the season.

RBs are unimportant in today’s NFL other than pass pro.  There is not a significant RB on a good team, unless you consider Tennessee good.  

• Haha 7
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

Didn't like it at first as well, but watching the interview with him, I was reminded that Ballard and his staff do their homework and then some on those guys and if they decide he's worth to be picked in round 3, who am I to judge... he seems like a great person - very well spoken (as are Pittman and Taylor) -  good (although not great imo) player - we'll see how he turns out... I don't see how those picks suggest we wouldn't be serious about this season?

3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

RBs are unimportant in today’s NFL other than pass pro.  There is not a significant RB on a good team, unless you consider Tennessee good.  

Massively disagree on how important running backs are. Few are worthy of a 2nd contract but that's why you keep adding cheap talent at that position rather than FA or resigning. 

Running backs are key imo. Especially to a team like us who wants to run the ball lol

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
13 minutes ago, Nickster said:

You dont need a RB to win, but we have seen good/great RB duos that have torn up the league. 

Both Mack and Taylor have the skillset to become great, and if they embrace each other as co-leaders, then the colts run game COULD be elite. 

If that's the case, Rivers couldnt have landed in a better position to make a run at the SB. 

In regards to the seasons cancelation I see them playing without a crowd before canceling. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I hope this a safe space to express non-conventional, against the grain opinions.

I didn't necessarily click the laugh button at the opinion, but rather this.  I'm sure you'll find no shortage of people who want to make you especially comfortable in holding this opinion. lol

I simply don't watch much College ball (I turn it on, but don't pay much attention) to judge a safety from Utah on a few positive clips. I'll defer to the guys who get paid at this point in the draft. 

Time will tell if a safety and RB were good high pick investments. I get some of that line of questioning. 

• Like 1

I understand the pause on the Blackmon pick. I def feel like we could have went elsewhere as opposed to a guy coming off an ACL injury especially with out lackluster safety play.

However, the Taylor pick is great!! See SF last season. We have the only to be just as effective in the run game.

Ballard has done a well with this year draft so far. I just hope he’s not done on offense. Especially with WR or TE

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, Nickster said:

?? Baltimore & KC, the two top teams we are competing with for the next 10 years in the AFC, both just drafted RB's. As did GB. NO, Dallas, Minnesota all have top tier backs. Sorry, but you're wrong on that one. 

• Thanks 3
25 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I just want to throw that out there.  I hope this a safe space to express non-conventional, against the grain opinions.

It seems with that and adding an RB that we are not all that serious about this season or are banking on it being cancelled.

Ryan Tannehill just got a $30M a year contract because he looked so good behind THAT RB.
  Sorry that you don't think we just ugraded our running game enough to make this pick.
   Those that Make the Plan for our success believe in what he will add.
     Blackmon was clearly very well liked and rookies get slowly worked into playing time usually anyway. And teams every year take talented players that may be coming back from injuries.
  You take those guys because of VALUE. And ALL players are drafted for what they MAY become with those nice jumps expected in year two are part of the process.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

In between there being a "normal" season and no season at all is the contingency plan of the NFL,  starting the regular season in November.

If NFL owners/insiders think this scenario is possible, or even likely, the Blackmon pick/timeline makes a bit more sense.  As he would likely be able to contribute in some meaningful capacity by then.

I personally suspect (just an opinion) the season will be delayed due to an overabundance of caution, but will be played.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

I understand the pause on the Blackmon pick. I def feel like we could have went elsewhere as opposed to a guy coming off an ACL injury especially with out lackluster safety play.

However, the Taylor pick is great!! See SF last season. We have the only to be just as effective in the run game.

Ballard has done a well with this year draft so far. I just hope he’s not done on offense. Especially with WR or TE

Right now we again have a loaded WR core. A blocking/pass catching TE in Doyle, a blocker in Mo, and an H over the middle type in Burton. Another Burton type seem attacker sounds good.
 There are one or two good such prospects still on the board today. lol

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, Nickster said:

adding an RB that we are not all that serious about this season or are banking on it being cancelled.

adding a running back is a win now move.  people need to get over the notion that you dont draft them high too, happens all the time 

53 minutes ago, Nickster said:

RBs are unimportant in today’s NFL other than pass pro.  

this is just wrong. you know that real GMs disagree with you, a random fan 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Nickster said:

I jokingly said this as well. Blackmon won’t even be able to play until October (best case). 

And if they don’t play...and contracts move along like they normally would...then Mack and Hooker are FAs. Having Taylor and Blackmon ready to take over is very convenient.

• Thanks 2
24 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Right now we again have a loaded WR core. A blocking/pass catching TE in Doyle, a blocker in Mo, and an H over the middle type in Burton. Another Burton type seem attacker sounds good.
 There are one or two good such prospects still on the board today. lol

I'll disagree with loaded. I know ppl are counting on Campbell but I am not in that party until the health situation improves. TY is TY of course but seems to get nicked up regularly now. Pascal flashed this season and hopefully he continues to improve. That is where is stops IMO talent wise. Too many unproven guys outside of that. 

Burton is okay but guys like Harrison Bryant or  Hunter Byrant or the kid from Mizzou I think are still there.

2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Are you trying to play victim before the thread even gets started?  :scratch:

Baffling thread...

What?  Did you watch the SB?  Besides a few splash plays like that bomb from Mahomes to Hill, that was a RBs game.

NFCCG?  SF RBs won that game.  How did the Titans go into Foxborough and beat NE?  RBs.

RBs are definitely important in todays' NFL.

what were the names of the RBs that were in the SB?

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

I have no problem with you not liking the pick but your second paragraph makes no sense and I highly disagree 

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

I jokingly said this as well. Blackmon won’t even be able to play until October (best case). 

And if they don’t play...and contracts move along like they normally would...then Mack and Hooker are FAs. Having Taylor and Blackmon ready to take over is very convenient.

that’s one of the main points of my post.  Makes sense e if there is no season more than trying to win now IMO.

i mean Blackmon obviously fits that bill since he has a torn ACL

7 hours ago, Nickster said:

This narrative that we are all-in for the season was created by fans and the media. Ballard has said on numerous occasions that he thinks about now and the future when he makes decisions. And honestly? Removing WRs from the equation after Pittman was drafted, I can't really think of any player we could have drafted who has a bigger chance to have an impact this year than Taylor. None of the TEs were going to start right away, nor probably the corners, o-lineman, or d-lineman. We have a solid roster now. We're reaching that point where it takes 1st through 3rd round selections to find actual upgrades to our starters. And between Pittman and Taylor we got two late 1st round talents. Blackmon is indeed a question mark, but I can certainly see why they would be willing to wait until he is healthy. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, funktacious2 said:

This narrative that we are all-in for the season was created by fans and the media. Ballard has said on numerous occasions that he thinks about now and the future when he makes decisions. And honestly? Removing WRs from the equation after Pittman was drafted, I can't really think of any player we could have drafted who has a bigger chance to have an impact this year than Taylor. None of the TEs were going to start right away, nor probably the corners, o-lineman, or d-lineman. We have a solid roster now. We're reaching that point where it takes 1st through 3rd round selections to find actual upgrades to our starters. And between Pittman and Taylor we got two late 1st round talents. Blackmon is indeed a question mark, but I can certainly see why they would be willing to wait until he is healthy. 

Well who was the last impact running back on one of the contending teams?

Now BTW, I think the running game is important just not the individual running back so much.  

23 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Well who was the last impact running back on one of the contending teams?

Now BTW, I think the running game is important just not the individual running back so much.  

Derrick Henry? Dalvin Cook? It happens all the time. You do know that the chiefs took a RB at the end of the 1st this year don't you? Just because they didn't need one to win a championships doesn't mean they don't think upgrading the position is important and can help the get better.

• Like 2

Well the chiefs are probably in a better position to use draft capital on a running back than the Colts and Marlon Mack is a much better player than Williams.

• Like 1

I think it’s a stretch to call Tennessee or Minnesota contenders despite Tenn backing into the playoffs and winning those two games. Tennessee has been heavily invested in RB and lacking in other skill players and it holds them down IMO.

• Confused 1
8 hours ago, Nickster said:

what were the names of the RBs that were in the SB?

I'm guessing you're just trying to make a point?

Fun fact:  SF had RBs from both IU and Purdue.

If you honestly don't know their names, I'll let you google that.  :hat:

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Nickster said:

RBs are unimportant in today’s NFL other than pass pro.  

If RBs were not important then why are they on the roster? 

Make a backfield full of TEs and WRs. 

Look, the Colts would not have won a super bowl without two RBs. 

You think a QB would have the success they do without the threat of a running game? 

The Ravens were the best team in the AFC and got beat by a running back. 

Sorry, you are wrong in this opinion. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

If RBs were not important then why are they on the roster? 

Make a backfield full of TEs and WRs. 

Look, the Colts would not have won a super bowl without two RBs. 

You think a QB would have the success they do without the threat of a running game? 

The Ravens were the best team in the AFC and got beat by a running back. 

Sorry, you are wrong in this opinion. 

The Colts won an SB in a different era when individual RBs were much more important.  

That said, even then, Addai’s best attribute might have been pass pro.  I didn’t say that the running game was unimportant just that individual running backs were not as important and probably the most important thing about RBs which distinguish them from other RBs is pass pro.

Obvious league data proves this.  There are few if any teams not using a committee approach.  Rbs along with TE and S are lowest paid field players on average.  Few RBs are drafted high.

i think the argument might be little more nuanced than just me being wrong.  Other than Henry what individual back has been impactful for a playoff franchise game after game the last few years?

• Confused 1
8 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I'm guessing you're just trying to make a point?

Fun fact:  SF had RBs from both IU and Purdue.

If you honestly don't know their names, I'll let you google that.  :hat:

pretty unimpressive list of has beens and never wasses isn’t it?

10 hours ago, Nickster said:

pretty unimpressive list of has beens and never wasses isn’t it?

I thought Mosterts' performance in the NFCCG was pretty impressive, was it not?

29 carries for 220 yds and 4 TDs.

Everyone ends up as a "has been" eventually, but Mostert (the former Boilermaker RB, btw) put his name in the history books with that performance.  :hat:

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Nickster said:

Well the chiefs are probably in a better position to use draft capital on a running back than the Colts and Marlon Mack is a much better player than Williams.

Mack is better than Williams when healthy.  Mack cannot stay healthy to be a lead RB for a whole regular season, let alone still be healthy at the end of the year for the playoffs.  Adding Taylor will keep Mack healthy and better than Williams.  We could be the top running team in the NFL... never thought I'd say that lol  

51 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I thought Mosterts' performance in the NFCCG was pretty impressive, was it not?

29 carries for 220 yds and 4 TDs.

Everyone ends up as a "has been" eventually, but Mostert (the former Boilermaker RB, btw) put his name in the history books with that performance.  :hat:

Another way to say it is that the 49ers ran for 220 yds with a 5 year journeyman running back that they have invested no capital in.  To me, this bolsters my point about RBs being relatively unimportant in today's NFL.  

Raheem Mostert=Interchangeable Part 

• Like 1