Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mack's response to the colts drafting Taylor

CR91

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm sure he want's to think that. He's trying to mean what he said.

He's human though...

6 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Yeah. Mack will play the good soldier but he knows with the way RB’s are valued now, he’ll be looking elsewhere for a longer term deal.  We just drafted one of the greatest career statistical runners in NCAA history...

With how much RBs get low balled, you really think we can't re-sign Mack? 6-9 mil is the best Mack is gonna from any team. That's not breaking the bank. Look at Gordan's deal. He got 8 mil a year and he's been far more productive then Mack.

18 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Mack and Aaron Rodgers this week so far

giphy.gif

Thx for making me laugh.

The “pickin’ Peyton” pic is a classic.  I love it.  However, its starting to gross me out.  
  He’s really got ahold of sonething there.... the dude is six knuckles deep!

Just now, CR91 said:

With how much RBs get low balled, you really think we can't re-sign Mack? 6-9 mil is the best Mack is gonna from any time. That's not breaking the bank. Look at Gordan's deal. He got 8 mil a year and he's been far more productive then Mack.

I just don’t think we’ll want to pay that much for essentially a backup running back because Taylor is a true Lead Back and he’ll take the #1 spot from Mack or he’ll certainly be given the top spot after Mack leaves. Another team will look to give Mack good money.  I expect Taylor to get the same treatment as Mack in 3-4 years unless he just explodes which is a true possibility. 

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

I just don’t think we’ll want to pay that much for essentially a backup running back because Taylor is a true Lead Back and he’ll take the #1 spot from Mack or he’ll certainly be given the top spot after Mack leaves. Another team will look to give Mack good money.  I expect Taylor to get the same treatment as Mack in 3-4 years unless he just explodes which is a true possibility. 

There is such a thing as a two back backfield. Re-signing Mack will not cost us and with the uncertainty at QB, I'd rather not take away the strength of our offense.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

There is such a thing as a two back backfield. Re-signing Mack will not cost us and with the uncertainty at QB, I'd rather not take away the strength of our offense.

It’s pretty clear what kind of team Ballard is building and that’s ball control run it down your throat offense with a defense you can’t run on.  I could easily see them keeping Mack past this year but I could also see them letting him walk.  It also comes down to what the dollar figure is Mack wants.  Ballard isn’t going to way over pay him and not because he has Taylor (although that doesn’t hurt) but because that isn’t his style.  

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s pretty clear what kind of team Ballard is building and that’s ball control run it down your throat offense with a defense you can’t run on.  I could easily see them keeping Mack past this year but I could also see them letting him walk.  It also comes down to what the dollar figure is Mack wants.  Ballard isn’t going to way over pay him and not because he has Taylor (although that doesn’t hurt) but because that isn’t his style.  

This team is primed to take on the Chiefs if they execute the style they're going for. 

23 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I’m not against keeping Mack. I see the 49ers just rotating in home run hitter after home run hitter.  I think CB is going for the same thing.  If Mack will come back and be cool with a timeshare & most likely being the backup, I’m all for it but I can see him looking to go somewhere & still be #1 & try to get as much money as he can.  Wouldn’t be shocked to see Jags or Dolphins interested.  

I have a question for some of our resident experts.  Will the amount of games that Mack starts affect the comp value pick we get for him or is it based on his production with his new team?  So would it be better for us to “start” Mack all season though Taylor may be the one that “finishes” more often?  Kinda like Rhodes & Addai Joe’s rookie year?

10 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I have a question for some of our resident experts.  Will the amount of games that Mack starts affect the comp value pick we get for him or is it based on his production with his new team?  So would it be better for us to “start” Mack all season though Taylor may be the one that “finishes” more often?  Kinda like Rhodes & Addai Joe’s rookie year?

It’s a *proprietary* formula...typically based on the annual contract average. But it can’t be offset by a contract the Colts sign. 

51 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Let’s see how Taylor actually plays in the NFL before we start anointing him the soon to be starter.  He has fumbling problems so he will have to deal with that. I believe Rathman will coach it out of him. I love that we have Taylor and hope he is as good as advertised but he still has to earn it and pay his dues first.  Until then, Mack is the lead back. 

21 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I’m not against keeping Mack. I see the 49ers just rotating in home run hitter after home run hitter.  I think CB is going for the same thing.  If Mack will come back and be cool with a timeshare & most likely being the backup, I’m all for it but I can see him looking to go somewhere & still be #1 & try to get as much money as he can.  Wouldn’t be shocked to see Jags or Dolphins interested.  

I think the 49ers are a good analogy.  In fact, I feel Ballard is modeling the Colts to be a similar team to the 49ers. 

4 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Let’s see how Taylor actually plays in the NFL before we start anointing him the soon to be starter.  He has fumbling problems so he will have to deal with that. I believe Rathman will coach it out of him. I love that we have Taylor and hope he is as good as advertised but he still has to earn it and pay his dues first.  Until then, Mack is the lead back. 

I agree with this and I am very high on Taylor.  See Trent Richardson as an example of a can’t miss college prospect that bombed in the NFL.

36 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

The company value puck we get back is based on a formula that is based mostly (but not entirely) the size of the contract they sign with their new team.  
So IF Mack leaves we are all pulling for him to get as big a contract as he can.  

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

I agree with this and I am very high on Taylor.  See Trent Richardson as an example of a can’t miss college prospect that bombed in the NFL.

To be fair, Trent’s production paled in comparison to Taylor’s though.   Taylor is in the conversation of the best running backs in NCAA history.  And Jim Brown said from day 1 that he was unimpressed with Trent and viewed him as just a guy...  The RB Goat saw the bust potential in Trent.  I get what you’re saying though.  I though Kijana Carter was gonna take over the league...

Good on him. Great even if he truly feels like this. Even if he doesn't feel like this, it's smart for him and better for the Colts if he doesn't become malcontent. Maybe he doesn't get paid by the Colts but showing yourself to be a good teammate and team player is more likely to get you paid elsewhere if he indeed has to leave after this year(btw... one more possible comp pick). Ballard is setting up a huge comp pick year after next year(tons of players with only 1 year left on contract).

7 hours ago, CR91 said:

With how much RBs get low balled, you really think we can't re-sign Mack? 6-9 mil is the best Mack is gonna from any team. That's not breaking the bank. Look at Gordan's deal. He got 8 mil a year and he's been far more productive then Mack.

Still that is a few Mil Ballard will use else where. Mack will be gone. Patriots have donenit for years, dicounts RBs behind good lines is thrifty.

6 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Let’s put this in perspective when you call it a fumbling problem. He had over 900 touches, fumbled 18 times. 

2 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Let’s put this in perspective when you call it a fumbling problem. He had over 900 touches, fumbled 18 times. 

Marlon has 567 carries, 3 fumbles. Or 1 fumble in every 189 carries. So Taylor’s fumble rate is 10 times that of Mack’s 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Marlon has 567 carries, 3 fumbles. Or 1 fumble in every 189 carries. So Taylor’s fumble rate is 10 times that of Mack’s 

It’s still a fixable issue.  I’m not worried.  We have one of the best running back coaches in the league and he’ll get coached on that from him and Mack. 

Just now, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

It’s still a fixable issue.  I’m not worried.  We have one of the best running back coaches in the league and he’ll get coached on that from him and Mack. 

I’m not worried either and I actually like the pick. That said, since we were talking about perspectives, figured it was good to compare to make sure the perspective was complete 

He also retweeted the colts twitter post of drafting Taylor. This will make Mack stronger and keep him fresher. I still won’t rule our a contract ext after the season. There was timss last year where we were driving for the win and Mack would’ve taken himself out to get a breather. This should make him stronger and the team.

First: Mack isn’t going anywhere this year and as long as he isn’t looking for top tier money I believe the Colts will re-sign him.

Second: I believe the Colts want two solid backs for this offense. Mack hasn’t been able to stay healthy a whole season and this will help him with wear and tear and also bring a fresh set of legs in the backfield without HOPEFULLY losing much skill.

Third: No one has seen Taylor play in the NFL yet, let’s chill out on “he is better than Mack” “He is our new #1” talk for a while. Lol

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2888600-report-colts-wont-trade-marlon-mack-feel-jonathan-taylor-will-help-rb

Thomas still has to learn and demonstrate that learning of pass protect in the NFL to see more snaps than Mack, otherwise every time we trot him out there, we are keying the defense we are gonna run the ball....so I think Mack's reaction is legit....Thomas "could" develop into #1/replacement over Mack, but if Mack is  a competitor and I believe he is, he would welcome the challenge to get better and let the chips fall where they may. 

I don't think Mack is too bothered.  First keeping Mack and Taylor long term would be far from unheard of.  RB is a high injury position where few take a big bite of the cap.  It's a good idea to have multiple good RBs.

Besides even if we let him go, he will sign someplace else.

47 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Mack covers up the ball with two arms a lot, giving up the stiff arm and then gets tackled.  He left yards on the field.  Better to leave yard on the field than the ball, but just pointing out what contributed to ball security.  From what I saw.

Its not like he had few fumbles by also trying to maximize yardage, like most RBs will try to do.  Taylor needs to adjust in the other direction, IMO.

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Mack covers up the ball with two arms a lot, giving up the stiff arm and then gets tackled.  He left yards on the field.  Better to leave yard on the field than the ball, but just pointing out what contributed to ball security.  From what I saw.

Its not like he had few fumbles by also trying to maximize yardage, like most RBs will try to do.  Taylor needs to adjust in the other direction, IMO.

Ask Clowney how good Macks stiff arm is.

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

That theory will be tested when we face lamar Jackson/ dobbins combo, Henry /evans combo, swift and other backs.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Mack fumbled at a higher rate than taylor coming in from college  and he didn't  get near as many carries

Archived