Indianapolis Colts
horseshoecrabs

Ballard trades up for a running Back? Unusal, but the right call.

The trade up for a running back like Jonathan Taylor is a great choice to add to the type of offensive line that we have, That puts our running backs at the elite level of play for now and the future. We also got a great wide  receiver in Michael Pittman. so far we have had a good draft, even trading  the 13th pick for the 49's Deforest Buckner, a proven great defensive tackle at age 26. I am impressed so far in the draft selections.  This might even bring back into our fold  "Bott" that can not stand trading up for any running back lol. but seriously I think that so far if we do have a NFL season this year , that we can be competitive, with Rivers even though we still need to see what future franchise QB we could  have. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

This might even bring back into our fold  "Bott" that can not stand trading up for any running back lol.

I miss Bott. 

yea me too.. he went missing last year but surfaced for awhile and then went dormant again. I hope he is well!

I don’t know there are a lot of people who seem to think that since the Colts have Wilkins Taylor wasn’t needed...

• Haha 1

I think Ballard nailed getting Taylor. The dude is a stud at running back. And with Mack's contract  coming up next year, he needs the motive to sink or swim if he wants to stay on our roster.  Remember Running backs are a dime a dozen and Macks longevity record is not the best in the league 

Its still an important position.  i see a lot of fans that are against taking them early but real teams dont think that way.

5 of them went in the second round last night 

• Like 1

In 2018 our first 3 picks, thru pick 37, were immediate starters and good players since.

It looks like this will be the same.  We needed to find three immediate starters with these high picks.

Clearly Ballard is working to win now. Pittman and Taylor will help us in the near term. They both seem NFL ready, or close to it, and will take the pressure off of Rivers.  Even trading #13 for Buckner plays into that win now mindset. 

Taylor will certain jack up our running game and Pittman is the big body receiver that is well suited for quick routes and the possession game, as well as competing on 50/50 balls. 

Consider the Burton and Nix additions, along with one of the best o-lines in the league, and you can see how they want to bully the opposing defenses.  It seems the offense is being designed so that Rivers doesn’t have to carry the offense on his physicals skills, but instead play smart, consistent and make the right decisions by letting the supporting cast do there thing. 

Very excited. Hope the season happens. 

• Like 2

I'm not a huge fan of the trade up.  I'm not a huge Jonathon Taylor fan.  But I think the Colts need playmakers who can be a threat. 

I don't see where drafting another RB later in the rounds is going to get us that big play threat and with enough size to not be a durability threat.  Rb by committee is okay, but not when you're only big play scoring threat on offense is TY Hilton's deep routes.

we have zero depth at offensive line and our ot wanting to retire last year.  we needed a ot in the second round and a tight end in the 3rd round . 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I don't see where drafting another RB later in the rounds is going to get us that big play threat and with enough size to not be a durability threat.  Rb by committee is okay, but not when you're only big play scoring threat on offense is TY Hilton's deep routes.

What?  Taylor is a big threat in himself. He has a better chance of having a huge play than TY will. Matter of fact by Taylor being on the field it will help TY make plays so I don't get your point of view? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1