Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I see Reich offense legitimately having a running game. The OL loves to run, and with this kind of running/Nix and OL and TE's. we can kill the clock and play in bad weather. It will also preserve the life of our light weight receivers.  Rivers is a gunslinger with a quick release and read. If you can impose your will on the other defense than its alot fun and you keep their offense off the field.

• Like 4

I mean he does have similar skills to Zeke and can be just as good in the pros behind Indy's OL for sure. 

I just wonder what we'll do with Marlon Mack. I can't imagine they'll have a dual RB system for the next few years. Might be wise to see what his value is at some point before they simply let him sign elsewhere after his contact is up. 

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I just wonder what we'll do with Marlon Mack. I can't imagine they'll have a dual RB system for the next few years. Might be wise to see what his value is at some point before they simply let him sign elsewhere after his contact is up. 

We spent a 4th Round pick on him, doubt we get anything better than that on a current trade. However, if he signs a solid contract as a free agent we could get a 4th Round compensatory pick though. So I would use him this year and let him walk and roll the dice.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

We got the ground game going, now we need to focus on the defense.  We are a playoff team for sure, no doubt about it.

Our first rounder was a DT. :)

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

We spent a 4th Round pick on him, doubt we get anything better than that on a current trade. However, if he signs a solid contract as a free agent we could get a 4th Round compensatory pick though. So I would use him this year and let him walk and roll the dice.

On what are you basing that the compensatory pick we'd get for Mack would specifically be a 4th Rd pick? 

Lol. I like Taylor. But he  isn't even remotely comparable to where Zeke was

in the passing game (route running and most importantly, protection) coming out of OSU. And Zeke had zero fumbling issues.

As for 'imposing your will', 'killing the clock', etc. if you mean AFTER you've 

used your passing (including play-action) game to score a bunch of points

and build a lead heading into Q4, then I totally agree.

6 hours ago, J@son said:

On what are you basing that the compensatory pick we'd get for Mack would specifically be a 4th Rd pick? 

Not specifically, but it could be based on how lucrative his second contract would be. That would be better than a potential 6th or 7th we'd likely get right now because we have no leverage.

• Like 1

When I saw the title comparing him to Zeke I thought you were going to say he's overrated but gets lots of media love because he runs behind a great O-line and plays for the media darling Cowboys.  

6 hours ago, TrueBlue12 said:

I don't like the Taylor pick at all. I see him as Marlon Mack 2.0. You don't need 2.0 if you have 1.0. Just my opinion. So, Mack loses carries and Wilkens is useless.

Love the pick. Mack taylor 1 to 2 punch is better than mack wilkins. It's like having  james and addai in the same backfield

• Like 4

Hmmm...the list of Wisconsin backs with high mileage in college fizzling out at the NFL is larger than 1 Melvin Gordon. I’m a skeptic. Montee Ball, Ron Dayne etc., I’m sure you can look it up. I still remember Montee Ball coughing up the ball that kick started the Patriots comeback from 0-24 vs the Broncos in 2013 at Foxboro. JT has similar fumbling issues.

I’m rooting for him but he’s not Zeke.

11 hours ago, TrueBlue12 said:

I don't like the Taylor pick at all. I see him as Marlon Mack 2.0. You don't need 2.0 if you have 1.0. Just my opinion. So, Mack loses carries and Wilkens is useless.

You really think he compares to Marlon Mack?  Really?  I don't see that at all.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

You really think he compares to Marlon Mack?  Really?  I don't see that at all.

Yes, I do. They are the same size and have the same explosiveness. Mack in his first couple of years wanted to bounce outside the tackles. He has learned to overcome that tendency. I see them as the same back. Get them a hole in the line and either can outrun the secondary.

1 hour ago, TrueBlue12 said:

Yes, I do. They are the same size and have the same explosiveness. Mack in his first couple of years wanted to bounce outside the tackles. He has learned to overcome that tendency. I see them as the same back. Get them a hole in the line and either can outrun the secondary.

I'm gonna respectfully disagree with you on this one.  Mack was listed at 5'11" and 213 lbs in his draft profile while Taylor is 5'10" and a beefy 226.  Mack had a grade of 5.54 while Taylor's grade is 6.41.  Mack can catch and is better running outside the lines IMHO.  He is not what I would call a power runner whereas this is the very definition of what Taylor does best.  Mack is not as good at running through contact as Taylor is.  Again, this is a strength of Taylor.  Both have good top end speed, this is true, but Taylor has another gear.  Mack's 40 time was 4.50 whereas Taylor was 4.39.  Mack catches the ball very well, and Taylor might be able to catch but we really don't know as Wisconsin doesn't really require that of their RB's.  Both are probably adequate at pass blocking and both had a fumbling problem entering the NFL but that's about it as far as the similarities IMHO.

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

Hmmm...the list of Wisconsin backs with high mileage in college fizzling out at the NFL is larger than 1 Melvin Gordon. I’m a skeptic. Montee Ball, Ron Dayne etc., I’m sure you can look it up. I still remember Montee Ball coughing up the ball that kick started the Patriots comeback from 0-24 vs the Broncos in 2013 at Foxboro. JT has similar fumbling issues.

I’m rooting for him but he’s not Zeke.

I don't get the logic behind this. Taylor has a different skill set than the backs you referene. The scouts and coaches at Wisconsin are not the same ones they had 25 years ago. Based on your logic , Patrick Mahomes should never have been drafted..Jerry Rice shouldn't have been drafted...etc...etc.

21 hours ago, AustexColt said:

I see Reich offense legitimately having a running game. The OL loves to run, and with this kind of running/Nix and OL and TE's. we can kill the clock and play in bad weather. It will also preserve the life of our light weight receivers.  Rivers is a gunslinger with a quick release and read. If you can impose your will on the other defense than its alot fun and you keep their offense off the field.

Agreed and I thought going In to this draft we needed to be more consistent with keeping the ball out of the hands of the other team and I think 100% the Pittman and Taylor picks do that. I also think once healthy Blackmon will be a very good player that could be used all over our secondary which is another reason I am happy with the pick overall im happy with the draft too.

15 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I don't get the logic behind this. Taylor has a different skill set than the backs you reference. The scouts and coaches at Wisconsin are not the same ones they had 25 years ago. Based on your logic , Patrick Mahommes should never have been drafted..Jerry Rice shouldn't have been drafted...etc...etc.

I am just skeptical based on history. But that doesn't mean Wisconsin RBs aren't drafted in this league and won't work at all in the NFL. Montee Ball was just 7 years ago, drafted during Peyton's record breaking 2013. Ball, Clement were not that long ago.

In general, I am skeptical of high workload RBs in college translating to the NFL, which a lot of Wisconsin RBs are. 2 recent RBs that did have success had success more due to them as complementary backs with their pass catching prowess, Corey Clement for the Eagles and James White for the Patriots. I hope it works out along the same lines but until it does, I am not getting my hopes up. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

I am just skeptical based on history. But that doesn't mean Wisconsin RBs aren't drafted in this league and won't work at all in the NFL. Montee Ball was just 7 years ago, drafted during Peyton's record breaking 2013. Calhoun, Clement were not that long ago.

In general, I am skeptical of high workload RBs in college translating to the NFL, which a lot of Wisconsin RBs are. 2 recent RBs that did have success had success more due to them as complementary backs with their pass catching prowess, Corey Clement for the Eagles and James White for the Patriots. I hope it works out along the same lines but until it does, I am not getting my hopes up. 

Everyone thought that Derrick Henry was just another typical Alabama running back AKa.. "Trent Richardson"  but you can't always just lump and stereotype every running back because of others who did not make the grade.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Everyone thought that Derrick Henry was just another typical Alabama running back AKa.. "Trent Richardson"  but you can't always just lump and stereotype every running back because of others who did not make the grade.  

Fair enough!!! If that were the case, an Oregon QB named Justin Herbert may not have been drafted early based on Akili Smith, Joey Harrington and Marcus Mariota's lack of success in the NFL.

I am a little superstitious, so that plays into this too. :) 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AZColt11 said:

I'm gonna respectfully disagree with you on this one.  Mack was listed at 5'11" and 213 lbs in his draft profile while Taylor is 5'10" and a beefy 226.  Mack had a grade of 5.54 while Taylor's grade is 6.41.  Mack can catch and is better running outside the lines IMHO.  He is not what I would call a power runner whereas this is the very definition of what Taylor does best.  Mack is not as good at running through contact as Taylor is.  Again, this is a strength of Taylor.  Both have good top end speed, this is true, but Taylor has another gear.  Mack's 40 time was 4.50 whereas Taylor was 4.39.  Mack catches the ball very well, and Taylor might be able to catch but we really don't know as Wisconsin doesn't really require that of their RB's.  Both are probably adequate at pass blocking and both had a fumbling problem entering the NFL but that's about it as far as the similarities IMHO.

The 4.39 was unconfirmed.  That is what the little u by the number means by the way. Even then, they are the very same player after Mack learned to run between the tackles.

1 hour ago, AZColt11 said:

I am going to repectfully disagree with you. You say Marlon Mack fumbles. I have not seen any indication of that anywhere.

If you don't believe Tom Rathman, you don't believe anyone:

https://www.colts.com/news/tom-rathman-marlon-mack-nyheim-hines-colts-podcast

47 minutes ago, TrueBlue12 said:

I continue to believe that Mack is the same back. Is an unconfimed 4.39 one bit different from a confimed 4.50. I don't think so.

Trent Richardson was in there too. Woo. Hoo.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trent_Richardson

How is 4.39 in the NFL Combine "unconfirmed"?  As for Mack's fumbling issues, I'm speaking of his college career where he had an issue just like Taylor has.  He has definitely shored that up since his NFL career started.  But I can only compare these two as draftees because Taylor has not had any opportunity to improve in the NFL yet.

I'll check out what Tom has to say but when I watched them in college they didn't seem like comparable players to me.

1 hour ago, TrueBlue12 said:

The 4.39 was unconfirmed.  That is what the little u by the number means by the way. Even then, they are the very same player after Mack learned to run between the tackles.

I've seen several places though that says the unofficial time was 4.41 but the official WAS 4.39.  But you know what?  I'm in too good a mood to argue.  I'll go with whatever you say.  I just want this team to get better and IMHO I think they did.  We can agree to disagree, that's OK.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

I am just skeptical based on history. But that doesn't mean Wisconsin RBs aren't drafted in this league and won't work at all in the NFL. Montee Ball was just 7 years ago, drafted during Peyton's record breaking 2013. Ball, Clement were not that long ago.

I think Melvin Gordon would have been an elite guy had he not had some significant injury issues.  But when healthy he was highly productive.

3 hours ago, TrueBlue12 said:

I continue to believe that Mack is the same back. Is an unconfimed 4.39 one bit different from a confimed 4.50. I don't think so.

Trent Richardson was in there too. Woo. Hoo.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trent_Richardson

C'mon now. I love Marlon and he's been a reallly good player for us. But as prospects they're not the same. Marlon got a 5.54 grade from NFL.com; Taylor got a 6.41 grade. Taylor's bigger, faster and ran for more yards than anybody else in college football history over three seasons.

The future is unwritten bu the past is undeniable.

• Like 1

I just happen to disagree with you. The backs are pretty much the same size and pretty much the same speed. Taylor played in a bigger program, therefore the higher grade. But, in my opinion, draft pundit grades of 6.41 vs. 5.54 aren't worth the paper they are printed on. The 6.41 vs. 5.54 is because Taylor played for Wisconsin and Mack played for South Florida.

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, TrueBlue12 said:

Look up their combine results they are essentially identical.

Taylor fumbles more.

That's  not true. Mack fumbled  at a rate of once every 48 touches coming  out of college.  Taylor  fumbled  at a rate of once every 50 touches so Taylor is better than  than mack in practically  every  area coming out  of college.