Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Good Job Ballard

Lucky Colts Fan

OT - Re-signed Anthony Castonzo.

QB - Signed Philip Rivers.

DT - Traded for DeForest Buckner and signed Sheldon Day.

CB - Signed Xavier Rhodes and TJ Carrie.

TE - Signed Trey Burton

FB - Signed Roosevelt Nix

Drafts Michael Pittman at WR and Jonathan Taylor at RB.

Ballard has done a good job so far.  He found answers for the biggest question marks, addressed the biggest weaknesses on the team, and drafted guys that can contribute right away.

27 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

We certainly have a good GM. Can't wait for the press conference tbh.

Exactly. Cant wait for the presser to hear him speak on the rationale. I couldn't see this coming pre-hand. But CB said Give me a Big outside sure hand WR, and the "best" just so happens to be the fastest RB in the draft. (Although I wanted JK Dobbins). He wants to correct the drops from last year, and spell Mack when needed with a RB cut from the "cloth" of Edgerrin James. I think Jim Irsey had something to do with Johnathan Taylor pick.

Yup. Used FA and Trades to address defense which should be top 15 at worst now, and now our offense has a little bit of everything: Speedsters, a jump ball winner, a shifty RB, a pass catching RB, an all around RB, as well as safety blanket tight ends. This year should be fun as long as injuries don't bite us hard.

3 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Exactly. Cant wait for the presser to hear him speak on the rationale. I couldn't see this coming pre-hand. But CB said Give me a Big outside sure hand WR, and the "best" just so happens to be the fastest RB in the draft. (Although I wanted JK Dobbins). He wants to correct the drops from last year, and spell Mack when needed with a RB cut from the "cloth" of Edgerrin James. I think Jim Irsey had something to do with Johnathan Taylor pick.

There was a time taylor would have gone top 5 in the lst but rb are devalued  now

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I liked the trade moving from 75 down to 85.

Hopefully Blackmon ends up being a contributor once he's healthy.

We'll see what Ballard does with his other 5 picks tomorrow.  :thmup:

The trade down was really good value IMO as it accomplished two things. He did a great job with Pittman and Taylor IMO. The trade up 3 spots was good timing as I believe either the Bears or Jags would have grabbed Taylor and both had interest.

The Blackmon pick at 85 seemed bad to me if he did tear his acl, but I'll listen to Ballard explain it. I know he's a very good player otherwise.

2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I liked the trade moving from 75 down to 85.

Hopefully Blackmon ends up being a contributor once he's healthy.

We'll see what Ballard does with his other 5 picks tomorrow.  :thmup:

I’m guessing tomorrow ends with the Colts having 6 picks.    I’d guess we trade down from our 4 to add an additional 5 or 6. 

5 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Irsay

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m guessing tomorrow ends with the Colts having 6 picks.    I’d guess we trade down from our 4 to add an additional 5 or 6. 

Before I went to bed last night, NFL.com had the Colts with 3 picks in the 6th, but now it's only 2.  Apparently they forgot to switch that third one back to the Lions on their website after the trade.

So I was wrong that Ballard has 5 left.  You're right that he's starting the day with 4 left.

I wouldn't be surprised if he does make another move or two and end up with more picks.  :thmup:

5 minutes ago, rayski said:

To be fair, depending on how the QB situation will go down in the next 2-3 years, Ballard is putting a masterpiece out on how to rebuild. 

I am not sure how the QB position will work out after Rivers but Ballard is building this offense to be good no matter who the QB is. 

With this kind of offense we don't have to have a top 5 QB in the league to win games. Add the Buckner trade IMO our defense will be much improved too. 

9 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The trade down was really good value IMO as it accomplished two things. He did a great job with Pittman and Taylor IMO. The trade up 3 spots was good timing as I believe either the Bears or Jags would have grabbed Taylor and both had interest.

The Blackmon pick at 85 seemed bad to me if he did tear his acl, but I'll listen to Ballard explain it. I know he's a very good player otherwise.

Ballard  said he'll be recovered  by August,  but they probably  won't  play him til October 

14 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

8 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Irsay

13 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Or maybe it was just Ballard. You know he did play football at Wisconsin, right?

Well what do you know.. After listening to the first CB media interview, CB mentioned that JIM IRSEY told him to GO AND GET HIM!

https://www.colts.com/video/chris-ballard-on-day-2-of-2020-nfl-draft

Just as I suspected.

31 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Well what do you know.. After listening to the first CB media interview, CB mentioned that JIM IRSEY told him to GO AND GET HIM!

Just as I suspected.

he told them to go get him now, instead of waiting on him. “You guys have been talking about how much you love him, so what are you waiting on.” 

that’s not Irsay micro managing like you insinuated. That’s Irsay being a reasonable owner and asking his GM and scouts why they would risk him going elsewhere 3 picks away. 

I am liking what CB is doing this draft. He finally got us a big WR and RB. TY is in the last year of his deal and has had injury concerns and Mack is a walking injury concern. We just got tougher on the field and at the negotiation table.

16 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Man, i’m glad you said it first about Taylor flashing EJ esque traits. Because when I watched the vid, I thought the same thing, but didn’t want to take flack for the comparison! lol

16 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

OT - Re-signed Anthony Castonzo.

QB - Signed Philip Rivers.

DT - Traded for DeForest Buckner and signed Sheldon Day.

CB - Signed Xavier Rhodes and TJ Carrie.

TE - Signed Trey Burton

FB - Signed Roosevelt Nix

Drafts Michael Pittman at WR and Jonathan Taylor at RB.

Ballard has done a good job so far.  He found answers for the biggest question marks, addressed the biggest weaknesses on the team, and drafted guys that can contribute right away.

16 hours ago, CheezyColt said:

We certainly have a good GM. Can't wait for the press conference tbh.

Looks like Tony Dungy approves.

1416385239_ScreenShot2020-04-25at2_22_27PM.png.7cbe16fd1da956e3f27f2db26fa072e6.png

On 4/25/2020 at 10:34 AM, crazycolt1 said:

I am not sure how the QB position will work out after Rivers but Ballard is building this offense to be good no matter who the QB is.

This was probably the best landing spot for Eason.  He's already got the arm.  Now he has Reich/Rivers/Brissett to learn from.  If he can't figure out how to be a pro from that trio, he doesn't deserve to be in the league.

On top of that, Ballard drafted probably the best returner in the class in Isaiah Rodgers, a special teams ace in Jordan Glasgow, AND added Blankenship the kicker as an UDFA to compete with Chase in camp.  Special teams might be a strength for this team going forward.  :thmup:

Good Job Ballard.  :scoregood:

On 4/25/2020 at 12:23 PM, Rackeen305 said:

Just as I suspected.

I encourage you to go watch chapter 4 of “with the next pick”... You couldn’t have been more off on this, just as I said you would be. Irsay was in agreement with Ballard and his team of scouts that they needed to go get Taylor... while the phone calls were already being made. The discussions of this pick were months in the making. Irsay looked like he was just happy to be one of the boys in the know, all tucked away in his theatre watching Mayweather box and the Patriots/falcons super bowl. 

6 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

Rivers may not have to put the ball in the air as much. I'll bet in some games Taylor will rush more yards than River's passing yards . Ex. Taylor 205 rush yards. Rivers 195 passing yards.

I'd take that bet.    I think Taylor will split carries with Mack and Hines will get many of the short passes out of the backfield.  

15 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I encourage you to go watch chapter 4 of “with the next pick”... You couldn’t have been more off on this, just as I said you would be. Irsay was in agreement with Ballard and his team of scouts that they needed to go get Taylor... while the phone calls were already being made. The discussions of this pick were months in the making. Irsay looked like he was just happy to be one of the boys in the know, all tucked away in his theatre watching Mayweather box and the Patriots/falcons super bowl. 

So you think Ballard was lying when he said Irsay said you guys been talking about Taylor so go get him?

I think you are forgetting that With This Pick is edited and is not in real time. 

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

So you think Ballard was lying when he said Irsay said you guys been talking about Taylor so go get him?

I think you are forgetting that With This Pick is edited and is not in real time. 

I think he was referring to that moment in the episode, knowing it would be released on film. Ballard knows how to stroke Irsay’s ego.

My first post was in response to Rackeen. I simply said or maybe it was just Ballard, and asked if he realized Ballard played football at Wisconsin (which he didn’t answer to, so I’m assuming he didn’t.) Ballard touted the fact to Taylor that he was his first Wisconsin pick in his career. He’s damn proud of this pick and it shows. I don’t think Jim Irsay has much to do aside from offering small input like in this case. Frank Reich probably had more to do with this than Irsay did. 

On 4/24/2020 at 10:23 PM, ColtStrong2013 said:
  On 4/24/2020 at 9:58 PM, Rackeen305 said:

I think Jim Irsey had something to do with Johnathan Taylor pick.

8 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I think he was referring to that moment in the episode, knowing it would be released on film. Ballard knows how to stroke Irsay’s ego.

My first post was in response to Rackeen. I simply said or maybe it was just Ballard, and asked if he realized Ballard played football at Wisconsin (which he didn’t answer to, so I’m assuming he didn’t.) Ballard touted the fact to Taylor that he was his first Wisconsin pick in his career. He’s damn proud of this pick and it shows. I don’t think Jim Irsay has much to do aside from offering small input like in this case. Frank Reich probably had more to do with this than Irsay did. 

:facepalm: I think Irsay has a little more input than you want to give credit to. 

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

:facepalm: I think Irsay has a little more input than you want to give credit to. 

I agree with that,g but in this situation I bet Ballard informed Irsay of his intentions and Irsay gave it a thumbs up.  I think Irsay would only veto a selection if is a very questionable, but he let Grigson draft crap so who knows.  

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don’t think Ballard takes this job if Irsay was going to micromanage. Irsay was never in scouting meetings and in the latest episode, he was simply involved in some conversation but staying out of the way. He’s smart enough to let the professionals he pays big money to work.

12 minutes ago, Myles said:

I agree with that,g but in this situation I bet Ballard informed Irsay of his intentions and Irsay gave it a thumbs up.  I think Irsay would only veto a selection if is a very questionable, but he let Grigson draft crap so who knows.  

This... If Irsay had input during the Grigson years, he’s learned to stay the hell out of the way because of it. I just don’t think he micromanages. He bought into Ballard and his philosophy. Ballard doesn’t seem like the kind that is going to pass up input from anyone but isn’t going to be railroaded by anyone either. 

1 minute ago, Myles said:

Yeah, I was referring to the comment that Ballard made about Irsay. 

He said Irsay said you guys been talking about Taylor so go get him now. 

IMO it was Irsay who is the one who instigated the trade up.

He pretty much made up Ballard's mind to pull the trigger. 

That was what I concurred from Ballard presser. 

As far as the With The Next Pick that is all edited and no one knows what was said in real time at the time it was said. (if that makes sense?) :edit:

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don’t think Ballard takes this job if Irsay was going to micromanage. Irsay was never in scouting meetings and in the latest episode, he was simply involved in some conversation but staying out of the way. He’s smart enough to let the professionals he pays big money to work.

This... If Irsay had input during the Grigson years, he’s learned to stay the hell out of the way because of it. I just don’t think he micromanages. He bought into Ballard and his philosophy. Ballard doesn’t seem like the kind that is going to pass up input from anyone but isn’t going to be railroaded by anyone either. 

Ballard said Irsay said go ahead and get Taylor now. I wouldn't call that micromanaging. It is input. 

Irsay is not a fly on the wall. 

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ballard said Irsay said go ahead and get Taylor now. I wouldn't call that micromanaging. It is input. 

Irsay is not a fly on the wall. 

And again, it’s on video... It’s validation more than input, IMO (which is what this whole thing started as). It was the owner of the franchise telling him it’s ok to take the risk of moving up in the 2nd to get a running back that the entire scouting department wanted to get. It’s not Irsay saying I want Taylor and you are going to do whatever we have to do to get him. And that was my point from the get go. 

good day. Go blue

2 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

And again, it’s on video... It’s validation more than input, IMO (which is what this whole thing started as). It was the owner of the franchise telling him it’s ok to take the risk of moving up in the 2nd to get a running back that the entire scouting department wanted to get. It’s not Irsay saying I want Taylor and you are going to do whatever we have to do to get him. And that was my point from the get go. 

good day. Go blue

For one thing that is not what I said. 

There is no need to put words and your own meanings to what I did say. 

Archived