Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts take Jonathan Taylor RB

danlhart87

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, IinD said:

Hopefully.

Even though Addai had some good years we were so much more deadly when we had a legit RB type like Edge.

To be fair to Addai, he wasn't asked after his second year to be a traditional RB. 

His job was to block and protect Manning being blitz and then be Manning's dump off target. The dude had a whole bunch of first downs. 

Too many under value him and what he did do for this team. 

Just my two cents. 

Watching Taylor’s tape & your jaw hits the floor.  He’s gonna break many, many long runs.  Can you imagine him following Big Q around the end on that pull play we like to run???  :scoregood:  We’re gonna see some explosive plays outta Taylor.  His balance & ability to cut without losing speed are ridiculous.   He’s got top 5 RB in the league potential with us very soon (like Edge had).

I just hope it’s not gonna end up being an Edge vs Ricky Williams situation, where this time we got it wrong. Ricky was viewed as the best “Running”back in the draft but Edge was just as good a runner and was the better receiver & blocker.  Kinda sounds like Swift & Taylor. I hope it’s flipped this go round & Taylor is the one with the HoF career at the end of it all. 

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

To be fair to Addai, he wasn't asked after his second year to be a traditional RB. 

His job was to block and protect Manning being blitz and then be Manning's dump off target. The dude had a whole bunch of first downs. 

Just my two cents. 

Totally agree. Just envisioning us again with an elite back like was mentioned. I'm rooting for him.

Did love first 2 years of Addai though.

11 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Watching Taylor’s tape & your jaw hits the floor.  He’s gonna break many, many long runs.  Can you imagine him following Big Q around the end on that pull play we like to run???  :scoregood:  We’re gonna see some explosive plays outta Taylor.  His balance & ability to cut without losing speed are ridiculous.   He’s got top 5 RB in the league potential with us very soon (like Edge was).

I just hope it’s not gonna end up being an Edge vs Ricky Williams situation, where this time we got it wrong. Ricky was viewed as the best “Running”back in the draft but Edge was just as good a runner and was the better receiver & blocker.  Kinda sounds like Swift & Taylor. I hope it’s flipped this go round & Taylor is the one with the HoF career at the end of it all. 

He’s not just a runner either he’s a pass catcher too.  I think he could be a really special player.

6 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Don't worry.  People didn't like taking a center and guard with our 1st rd picks and that worked out pretty good.  

Well I suppose it depends on how you measure "pretty good". If it's by wins and Championships then I'm not so sure.

Here are the scouting reports on Jonathan Taylor by 2 of my favorite evaluators:

Greg Cosell:

EVAwUxoXsAM8N-9?format=png&name=900x900

Cosell compares him to Ezekiel Elliot as a runner, says he's the best runner in the draft. 

Here's Dane Brugler's scouting report on Taylor from his draft guide:

87BFrse.png

You guys know I'm against putting this type of resources into a RB, but I have nothing against the player himself, I think he's a great talent. 

If you believe that Tom Rathman will fix the fumbling issue. You basically got a Zeke in the 2nd Round with Marlin Mack splitting time.  Throughout Reich's time he needed to have a running game that he can count on game in and game out. Without having the RB depth that is very difficult, esp with a 17 games schedule. I am very very confident that Marlin will get his money. 

You cannot win championships without a solid, dependable running game. With an average QB like Tannehill, the Titans beat the Patriots.  Taylor and Mack is a tandem that puts the entire NFL on notice. 

Fear not, people. RB workload is a positive. Heavy workload correlates with durability.

Heavy workload in college is a GOOD THING. Workload correlates with durability and nothing else. An actual study demonstrating this:

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/2325967117691941

Also, just do a quick google search. RBs with more than 900+ carries in college are more likely to have longer careers and miss less time for injury than the average RB by a significant margin (over 4 years longer on average and more than 2 less games missed per year).

14 minutes ago, James said:

Fear not, people. RB workload is a positive. Heavy workload correlates with durability.

Heavy workload in college is a GOOD THING. Workload correlates with durability and nothing else. An actual study demonstrating this:

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/2325967117691941

Also, just do a quick google search. RBs with more than 900+ carries in college are more likely to have longer careers and miss less time for injury than the average RB by a significant margin (over 4 years longer on average and more than 2 less games missed per year).

That's an interesting study. They seem to suggest that high number of college carries doesn't correlate with higher injury risk in the pros, but higher number of NFL carries correlates to higher injury risk in the pros. Not sure how exactly to interpret that... I guess it just measn if you weren't injured in the past(thus the high number of carries in college), that don't seem to affect your future success. But the higher number of carries you get in the pros the more of a chance you have to get injured. This seems intuitive and almost trivial, since this might be the case for any player at any position - the more you are put in a situation to get punishment the more likely you are to get punished.

12 hours ago, jlid said:

Call me when Wisconsin actually sends talent to the NFL, rather than just hype, especially at the RB position (cue the non-stop JJ Watt replies)

Russel Wilson is pretty talented and wasnt hyped at all

I feel confident the reasons why Ballard moved up to 41 from 44 was not only because he wanted Taylor, but he also wanted to keep the Jacksonville Jaguars from drafting him at 42.  The Jags are not happy with Leonard Fournette, and looking to trade him. He hasn't lived up to his draft position as the 4th overall pick in the 2017 draft, and is a bit of a distraction at times.

I think Ballard new exactly what he was doing. Wanted Taylor, and didn't want to face him two times a year in the division.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

But as a backup I think he’s above average.   If he goes out the door I don’t think we replace him all that easily.   Not at 5.9 yards a carry from a backup.

you dont think the 5.9 is a little inflated?  thats better than the best rbs ever

he only plays against tired defenses when hes fresh, makes a run or two then comes out of the game.  a couple big runs boosted his ypc.  that could be macks job now

12 hours ago, richard pallo said:

LOVE IT!  LOVE IT!  MADE MY DAY.  AND THEY TRADED UP!  NO HESITATION.  GREAT AND DURABLE BACK.  SO HAPPY!  TWO NEW IMMEDIATE PLAYMAKERS ON OFFENSE. 

Yeah I did not expect this pick but it is a good one with O.Line we have. Taylor is a stronger version of Mack. Mack is good but injury prone, now we have 2 solid backs assuming Taylor does pan out, also with Hines as a 3rd back that can catch well. We might lead the league in rushing, that isn't a stretch saying that.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We might lead the league in rushing, that isn't a stretch saying that.

they should be top 5 at least. the ravens are coming off the most rushing yards ever though and they drafted a back and oline 

Just now, aaron11 said:

they should be top 5 at least. the ravens are coming off the most rushing yards ever though and they drafted a back and oline 

Definitely top 5 IMO. Rivers loves to throw a lot too so top 5 is about right. I give the Pittman pick an A, Taylor pick an A-, not sure what to think of Blackmon? I never watched him in college.

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

i have never heard of blackmon, seems like most people here have not either

taylor is from big 10 country and beat up on Purdue, i love this pick

would give pittman an A too 

Yeah I know nothing about Blackmon either, I have seen Taylor play. Taylor is explosive, he is an A- at worse. I gave him a - because he does tend to fumble at times.

4 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

horrible pick we need a tight end we have wilkins running 5 yards per carry and mack is a beast you can sign running backs for very cheap

I don't think you realize how good Taylor is, Mack is good but injury prone. This wasn't a great pick but I consider it good. Taylor is like a stronger version of Mack.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't think you realize how good Taylor is, Mack is good but injury prone. This wasn't a great pick but I consider it good. Taylor is like a stronger version of Mack.

mack is a beast he an be banged up but he still plays at least 15 games a year.  then we got wilkins averaging 5 yards a carry and hines is very good and last year i forgot the other running back who filled in when they were banged up but he averaged 5 yards a carry too.  running back is our strongest position .  sf  had late round picks and guys cut running for them . you dont need to take a running back this high . people are overrated ballard i am concerned with a old rivers who threw 22 picks and struggled to make the playoffs his whole career .

3 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

you dont need to take a running back this high .

thats only something that fans say, real teams do not go by that philosophy

4 other teams took backs in the second.  they still go in the first and second pretty much every year

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

mack is a beast he an be banged up but he still plays at least 15 games a year.  then we got wilkins averaging 5 yards a carry and hines is very good and last year i forgot the other running back who filled in when they were banged up but he averaged 5 yards a carry too.  running back is our strongest position .  sf  had late round picks and guys cut running for them . you dont need to take a running back this high . people are overrated ballard i am concerned with a old rivers who threw 22 picks and struggled to make the playoffs his whole career .

Rivers will be fine IMO, will he be Rivers of 2018 again, probably not but I think he will bounce back from last season. He did throw for 4600 yards last year, doesn't seem like it but he did. So the arm is still there. He has a much better Line here too, that will help and should cut down on the INT's. The Pittman pick was outstanding, that will help Rivers too.

It may take a few games for people to warm up to Taylor but once he breaks a big run or 2, people will love him.

8 hours ago, krunk said:

Im sure at some point im going to hear Reich use Michael Burner Turner as a comparison for Taylor. He moves like Michael Turner to me.

I think Taylor reminds me of Frank Gore.  Kind of a straight ahead guy but with TD speed and probably better pass catching.  I think he's been drafted to run between the tackles or just off tackle like Gore.

I liked Gore when he was here.  Just wished he was younger and faster, which is what Taylor is...and durable, like Gore.

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just my two cents. 

I felt Addai and Rhodes should have been co-MVPs of the Super Bowl, but of course they gave it to Manning.

Rhodes ran for 112 yards and Addai ran for 77. However, Addai was also the Colts leading receiver that night too with 10 receptions for 66 yards. Not bad overall production in that quagmire against that Bears D.

8 hours ago, ScotColt said:

Don't think we really needed another RB but this guy is a BEAST so I can come to terms with it. We surely don't need him and Mack though... hmm.

I would keep  both. If one gets hurt you have a beast backup. Not to mention  if we give mack a few carries  and then bring taylor  in nobody  is going to  want to tackle  him.

13 hours ago, jlid said:

We need probably multiple corners, at least 1 safety, another edge rusher wouldn't hurt, some OL, a TE, probably another WR along with Pittman, but RB was the way to go...can't ever find a good RB outside the 1st 2 rounds

Carrie, Rhodes, Rock, Tell, Moore.....that's five.  How many more Corners you have making the team?  One?

1 hour ago, BrickHead said:

I feel confident the reasons why Ballard moved up to 41 from 44 was not only because he wanted Taylor, but he also wanted to keep the Jacksonville Jaguars from drafting him at 42.  The Jags are not happy with Leonard Fournette, and looking to trade him. He hasn't lived up to his draft position as the 4th overall pick in the 2017 draft, and is a bit of a distraction at times.

I think Ballard new exactly what he was doing. Wanted Taylor, and didn't want to face him two times a year in the division.

I heard an interview with Irsay right after the pick where he said they had really good intel that another team was going to take Taylor before 44.  The Jags were most likely to be that team.  So not only do the Colts get a really good player but you kept him from division rival.  

Irsay also said getting Pittman and Taylor in the second round was the dream scenario.  That could be spin but if it’s not then yes Ballard knew exactly what he was doing,  

it’s interesting late last night it came out that Ballard and Reich were talking so much about how much they liked Taylor that Irsay finally said if you like him so much then why don’t you go get him?  I think that’s a rare look into how the Colts brain trust works.  Ballard and Reich drive the ship but Irsay wants to know what’s going on but will offer suggestions.

While Ballard drafting Taylor surprised me, I like the pick. 

Ballard has said all along that he is always looking to add competition to every position when he can. He sure did that with this pick. 

I like Mack because I am familiar with him but Taylor may be the best RB coming out of college this season. 

For Ballard to trade up to get him in front of the Jags was a very smart move IMO. I would rather have Taylor on my team than have to play against him two times a year. He is that good. 

"it’s interesting late last night it came out that Ballard and Reich were talking so much about how much they liked Taylor that Irsay finally said if you like him so much then why don’t you go get him?"

I didn't hear that, but greatly appreciate it.

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

Double-check your numbers before posting.

Mack averages 13 games/season, not "at least 15".

Rivers threw 20 picks last year, not 22.

"Struggled to make the playoffs his whole career" ?!? Where were you from 2006-2009???  :funny:

10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just my two cents. 

Believe it or not, of all Indianapolis Colt running backs including Dickerson, Faulk, and James, Addai had more TDs in his first 4 years than all of them. (Yes, James got hurt his 3rd year, but still)

Archived