Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts take Jonathan Taylor RB

1 minute ago, Colt Overseas said:

Jonathon Taylor reminds me alot of Nick Chubb, if not a better prospect. 

Maybe Taylor had fumbling issues, But at his size 5'11'' 215 lbs+ you cant teach 4.39 40 speed. Thumbs all the way up

• Like 1
  • Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chris Simms (@CSimmsQB) Tweeted: Chris Ballard got two first rounders in the 2nd Round. Ballard is as good as it gets. https://twitter.com/CSimmsQB/status/1253834232184614912?s=20

CFB - Most Rushing Attempts (Career)   Notable names to have successful NFL careers w more carries than Jonathan Taylor (926)   1. Tony Dorsett (1163) 2. Hershel Walker (994)

I don't think this has anything to do about Mack. I think it effects Wilkins more imo. Mack and Taylor are gonna be an awesome tandam

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TrueBlue12 said:

Taylor is a good player, but I think Marlon Mack and Wilkins are too. I'm not sure Taylor is that much of an upgrade. So, is Mack going to get 8 carries per game now?

Wilkins is average  at best. Mack is good  Taylor  is a monster 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Mack has an incredible work ethic. Think he has a lot of elite years left in him. Great vision and speed behind an elite offensive line. The best RB we’ve had since Edge. Taylor was good value in the 2nd for another team, but not for us with other blue chip talent on the board. 

Taylor was excellent  value. In fact he may be on james level

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I'm just saying. The kid was only drafted an hour ago. Let's actually see what we have before we start pushing Mack out of Indy

I love Mack.   I’d love to see him stay.  I’m not looking to shove him out the door.  

But the reality is the next contract for Mack is his best shot at getting a really good contract.   So odds are Mack leaves because he will get a better offer from another team than he will from the Colts.   And the Colts will get a good comp pick.   Win-win for both sides. 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Wilkins is average  at best. Mack is good  Taylor  is a monster 

Average at best?   Follow football much? 

Find me a backup who averages nearly 6 yards a carry as Wilkins has in his two seasons.  

Find me that guy.   I’ll wait.  Good luck. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Wow really good pick actually even though I don't like going RB early. He is arguable the top RB in this draft, and could be the next elite RB in the NFL, especially behind this OL.

Wonder when Ballard and the coaching staff soured on Marlon Mack. Possibly could be because of his numerous injuries. RB room will be super deep and talented this year for sure!

See comment below :cash:

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Mack was going to want big $$$

Yeppers 

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Find me a backup who averages nearly 6 yards a carry as Wilkins has in his two seasons.  

I know we gush over his YPC but he honestly looks really average when he runs... 

There's a reason he isn't the starter. He's just been really effective as a change of pace back. 

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That is the definition of average.

Good backup, not a player you want to start for majority of reps.

Average as in MIDDLE OF THE PACK, above mediocre, above bad/poor; not average as in bleh.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Superman said:

It seems likely that Mack is allowed to walk after 2020, and I'm fine with that.

We were trying to get him locked up long term earlier this off season. Wonder if something on that front prompted this move. 

1 hour ago, MacDee1975 said:

it’s was a gd 5th round pick, not a first round pick.  A firm price?!  Get a grip.

Go take a look at Ballard’s work in the 5th. 

Clearly you don’t understand draft capital and why giving up a pick in a round where Ballard finds contributors annually is an odd move for a RB who may never be anything more than a timeshare with Mack depending on whether they keep him or not. 

1 hour ago, jlid said:

We need probably multiple corners, at least 1 safety, another edge rusher wouldn't hurt, some OL, a TE, probably another WR along with Pittman, but RB was the way to go...can't ever find a good RB outside the 1st 2 rounds

Good Christ.  We have nowhere near that many needs.

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wilkins  is not a bellcow or elite back. He doesn't  have elite speed. He is solid, but not on Mack's  level either.  If he was Mack wouldn't  have regained his starting  job after coming off injury.  Infact the coaching  staff like Williams  more than wilkins  and he isn't  on the team no more. Why settle  for an average  back when you can draft an elite one.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Calmack said:

I know we gush over his YPC but he honestly looks really average when he runs... 

There's a reason he isn't the starter. He's just been really effective as a change of pace back. 

I’m not promoting him to be the starter — only the backup.  

And while you want to sniff at nearly 6 yards a carry — not me, the kid did it two years in a row.   That should tell you he’s a solid guy.  A a gain, not the starter, but a solid guy and worthy of not getting cut. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

We were trying to get him locked up long term earlier this off season. Wonder if something on that front prompted this move. 

Clearly you don’t understand draft capital and why giving up a pick in a round where Ballard finds contributors annually is an odd move for a RB who may never be anything more than a timeshare with Mack depending on whether they keep him or not. 

Thanks for the insight Kreskin.

Losing the next Nate Daurice Fountain or EJ Speed isn’t a “firm price” to land an elite skill position player that our GM is obviously very very high on, so cut the hyperbole, m’kay?

• Haha 2
14 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

That is the definition of average.

Good backup, not a player you want to start for majority of reps.

Average as in MIDDLE OF THE PACK, above mediocre, above bad/poor; not average as in bleh.

Thanks.   Confirmed.   You don’t follow football much.    You’re trying to defend a silly and incorrect comment.

We’re going to have to agree to disagree.   

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Wilkins  is not a bellcow or elite back. He doesn't  have elite speed. He is solid, but not on Mack's  level either.  If he was Mack wouldn't  have regained his starting  job after coming off injury.  Infact the coaching  staff like Williams  more than wilkins  and he isn't  on the team no more. Why settle  for an average  back when you can draft an elite one.

because we need that fifth rounder to bring in impact players like Nate Hairston.

• Sad 1
15 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

That rumor was disputed, so I'm not sure. My preferred strategy is run the heck out of Mack this year, then let someone else pay him. 

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Of course, now your changing the argument.   You listed him as a guy to be cut. 

As I’ve been saying to other posters, I’m not saying Wilkins is anything more than a good backup.  He’s not a starter.   But he’s good for what he is.  
I don’t see average at best. 

We can agree to disagree. 

2 hours ago, TrueBlue12 said:

Taylor is a good player, but I think Marlon Mack and Wilkins are too. I'm not sure Taylor is that much of an upgrade. So, is Mack going to get 8 carries per game now?

we're gonna be a run heavy offense. I can see Mack and Taylor splitting 15 carries each with one being more or less depending on who's hot.

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks.   Confirmed.   You don’t follow football much.    You’re trying to defend a silly and incorrect comment.

We’re going to have to agree to disagree.  

I agree with your posts 97% of the time, but right now, we're just arguing semantics.

Average is oftentimes slang for "he sucks."

I'm just using average in the standard meaning...not good, not great, but not * either.

5 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

For those complaining about losing a 5th rounder, we just picked up an  extra 4th and a 5th. Does this make the Taylor choice more appealing?

Giving up a 5th is nothing. But not for nothing , there was nothing in the trade that involved a 4th

1 minute ago, rock8591 said:

I agree with your posts 97% of the time, but right now, we're just arguing semantics.

Average is oftentimes slang for "he sucks."

I'm just using average in the standard meaning...not good, not great, but not * either.

Let me see if I can out this another way...  

Judging Wilkins against ALL running backs calling him average is fair.

But as a backup I think he’s above average.   If he goes out the door I don’t think we replace him all that easily.   Not at 5.9 yards a carry from a backup.

I owe you an apology.   I got personal.  That’s my fault.   Shouldn’t have done that.   The draft can get prickly and I pushed it too far.   Sorry.  

41 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

And clearly you don’t understand the stages of building a team.  We are well beyond the “hoarding middle to late rounders to build depth” stage and are now at the “acquiring impact players stage”.  Which is what Ballard did with his first 2 picks.

plus we just got back your coveted fifth rounder anyways, so maybe we’ll draft  the next Marvell Tell and guarantee  a spot in the Super Bowl in 2020.

8 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

For those complaining about losing a 5th rounder, we just picked up an  extra 4th and a 5th. Does this make the Taylor choice more appealing?

We actually picked up a high 5 and a high 6.   But not a 4.    Still...   we did fine.  

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

Giving up a 5th is nothing. But not for nothing , there was nothing in the trade that involved a 4th

We traded back from 75 to 85 and received a 4th and a 5th.

41 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Thus is not an either/or situation.  It’s not one or the other.   I’m not against Taylor.  Other than being surprised, I haven’t said a negative word about Taylor.   

All I’m saying is drafting Taylor doesn’t mean Wilkins is getting cut.   We can keep both if we want to.   That’s all.

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

I don't think this has anything to do about Mack. I think it effects Wilkins more imo. Mack and Taylor are gonna be an awesome tandam

Mack will want paid, this guy will be just as good for cheaper and longer. In todays NFL most successful teams dont pay RBs anymore.

Just now, TimetobringDfence! said:

Mack will want paid, this guy will be just as good for cheaper and longer. In todays NFL most successful teams dont pay RBs anymore.

Mack is not gonna break the bank. Gordon couldn't even get a big contract and he's been way more productive then Mack

3 hours ago, ponyboy said:

If you haven't seen his highlight reel on youtube, check it out.  It's amazing.  He's definitely a home run threat and huge number of broken tackles and yards after contact.  The fumbles are troubling and can hopefully be corrected.

This guy can break it at anytime it appears I like it. 

LOVE it. I was HOPING we could land Dobbins/Taylor/Swift on top of whichever WR we took. Mack goes down (which is not unlikely) and all of a sudden, our biggest strength is a weakness. Not to mention Taylor is just better. There are runs that Mack takes for 7, that Taylor would bust for 26. Love it.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Mack was going to want big $$$

This is the way of life in the NFL when it comes to running backs.  They are used and abused and then let go when due more money from a second contract in favor of a younger runner to run into the ground.  The Colts are no different from any other team.  It sucks to be a running back in the NFL.  But I understand why the Colts are making this move. 

3 hours ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Mack has an incredible work ethic. Think he has a lot of elite years left in him. Great vision and speed behind an elite offensive line. The best RB we’ve had since Edge. Taylor was good value in the 2nd for another team, but not for us with other blue chip talent on the board. 

I think Addai was a better overall running back than Mack is. Addai could nearly block anyone, and could catch out of the back field, along with all the things Mack does behind arguably a much worse running oline. At the very least Addai was just as good as Mack is. 

• Like 2

The  commentators said the Colts will teach him to stop fumbling ( 15 fumbles in 3 years). That's like teaching a fighter to have power. I think I read he has the dropsies at pass catching as well.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Weird decision to move up for a RB. Even to take a RB here...

But great prospect. Taylor is a better version of every back we have on our roster right now, assuming he translates to the NFL. 

ballard just got a game changer , not weird at all

• Like 1