Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts take Jonathan Taylor RB

7 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

When Taylor lights it up this season, I want everyone that is complaining to come out and say they were wrong. 

Nobody is knocking his talent.

• Like 2
  • Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chris Simms (@CSimmsQB) Tweeted: Chris Ballard got two first rounders in the 2nd Round. Ballard is as good as it gets. https://twitter.com/CSimmsQB/status/1253834232184614912?s=20

CFB - Most Rushing Attempts (Career)   Notable names to have successful NFL careers w more carries than Jonathan Taylor (926)   1. Tony Dorsett (1163) 2. Hershel Walker (994)

I don't think this has anything to do about Mack. I think it effects Wilkins more imo. Mack and Taylor are gonna be an awesome tandam

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, el duderino said:

hooooold on. what did we gave up to move up? 18 fumbles?? can he pass protect, can he catch? 

Tom Rathman will more than take care of the fumbling issues, this kid is a beast in the open field, and hopefully he hasnt been run into the ground like past Wisky RB;s...

• Thanks 2

Call me when Wisconsin actually sends talent to the NFL, rather than just hype, especially at the RB position (cue the non-stop JJ Watt replies)

• Haha 2
9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Neither am I. I don't really get this one.

I like the player. I do. I watched a lot of Wisconsin football the last few years. Every game I expected Taylor to do something just off the charts silly. Much like Saquon Barkley (I’m a big ten guy). I always thought I couldn’t take my eyes off when Penn State had the ball for fear that I’d miss whatever Barkley was about to do next. I felt the same way with Taylor and Wisconsin. I think with the way we have emphasized the running game, we needed a strong 2nd back, and with the talk of Mack not being extended, it was getting to be necessary. I like the pick. I just don’t care for giving a 5th round pick to move up. But they obviously valued it and had insight on the Jags or whatever it was to make the necessary move. 

• Thanks 2
25 minutes ago, ponyboy said:

If you haven't seen his highlight reel on youtube, check it out.  It's amazing.  He's definitely a home run threat and huge number of broken tackles and yards after contact.  The fumbles are troubling and can hopefully be corrected.

He's got legit 4:39 speed to go with all that power.... and his new RB coach was one who knows how to hang onto the Rock.  Rathman never fumbled, and seems to be able to clear up security issues with our guys like Wilkins...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, el duderino said:

hooooold on. what did we gave up to move up? 18 fumbles?? can he pass protect, can he catch? 

Tom Rathman.

• Like 1

i love this pick and still think running backs are pretty important

Its risky to pay them though and that could be a factor in why they did this.  Mack deserves a raise but the team needed some leverage too

We need probably multiple corners, at least 1 safety, another edge rusher wouldn't hurt, some OL, a TE, probably another WR along with Pittman, but RB was the way to go...can't ever find a good RB outside the 1st 2 rounds

• Haha 2
12 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

It was a firm price. 

If Mack signs long term it becomes really steep. Becomes a high price to pay for a RB who won’t be the feature back. 

It seems likely that Mack is allowed to walk after 2020, and I'm fine with that.

• Like 5
14 minutes ago, Superman said:

Neither am I. I don't really get this one.

Win now move. ANOTHER one. Ballard is going all in this year. IMO he thinks we are close. It also avoids giving Mack 10M+. None of those are ideal but IMO if I had to choose to give a RB 10M+ long term contract or take a fresh RB in the 2nd round, I would probably choose taking a 2nd round RB.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

Most second contracts on top RBs end up being crappy... for the team

Mack has an incredible work ethic. Think he has a lot of elite years left in him. Great vision and speed behind an elite offensive line. The best RB we’ve had since Edge. Taylor was good value in the 2nd for another team, but not for us with other blue chip talent on the board. 

• Confused 2

Not cutting Hines ... He's the 3rd down back.  I can't wait to see Taylor and Mack behind Nic and this OL though....m not to mention Pittman is a heckuva a blocking WR

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I’m not huge on giving our 5th round pick up.

Yeah, Because fifth round

draft picks make or break a team.

Now that we gave up this one in 2020......goodbye playoffs.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3
2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

A RB that Ballard traded up for in the second round.. 

He's raising my eyebrow this year... some of this is pretty counter to his stated philosophy. 

Does it though?

Given the fact that Ballard stated he goes BPA, and given the fact they traded UP for Taylor it must mean they consider him a special talent and clearly BPA at that point.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

I don't think we need them both - Wllkins and Hines are plenty good enough to fill the backup role.

Hines has not proven to be that good of a runner.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jlid said:

We need probably multiple corners, at least 1 safety, another edge rusher wouldn't hurt, some OL, a TE, probably another WR along with Pittman, but RB was the way to go...can't ever find a good RB outside the 1st 2 rounds

I don't think they need a safety, I think they are happy with Hooker, Odum, Willis, and either a Wilson or Tell flex there....some OL depth would be nice.... Do we still have Ross Travis at TE?

Although we didn't get swift, I'm happy with this top tier RB.  No doubt he is a good runner, his production speaks for itself.  It's good to have 2 good RB's we can count on and is not a clone to Mack,  Has more physicality with very good speed.  Needs to be coached up on receiving and blocking and the big concern is cutting down on fumbles.  Keep 2 hands/arms on the ball in traffic.  

We have good back to replace Mack for a breather or if he gets hurt.  Also Hines is a smaller quicker back, good receiver and Taylor is a more powerful back which gives us versatility and another dimension for RB/offense. 

Ballard/Reich must have targeted WR Pittman and RB Taylor on the 2nd round dream sheet and they got'em.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Hines has not proven to be that good of a runner.

Hi Ed is the only RB who can catch out of the backfield.... And he's great in open space.

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

It was a firm price. 

If Mack signs long term it becomes really steep. Becomes a high price to pay for a RB who won’t be the feature back. 

it’s was a gd 5th round pick, not a first round pick.  A firm price?!  Get a grip.

• Thanks 1

Its pretty simple, he'll take carries with mack this year, so they'll both have juice every run this year. With us sticking to the run game identity, we won't be running less. Mack isn't the most durable back either, so havent a solid back up there wont be a drop off. Then let mack walk after his contract.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, holeymoley99 said:

Taylor is faster than Barkley and stronger than barkley vs the some competition in Big 10 taylor was better time and again

You keep spewing this but cmon... Barkley is a literal FREAK. He's in another league compared to Taylor. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, stitches said:

Win now move. ANOTHER one. Ballard is going all in this year. IMO he thinks we are close. It also avoids giving Mack 10M+. None of those are ideal but IMO if I had to choose to give a RB 10M+ long term contract or take a fresh RB in the 2nd round, I would probably choose taking a 2nd round RB.

It's not just your opinion that Ballard thinks we're close. He literally said exactly that :)

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, jtrester said:

Hopefully this means we are moving Hines to the slot

This is an idea I've been onboard with for 2 years.....

Having a true bell cow back plus Mack and Wilkins behind him makes that more viable now!

A bit conflicted with this one.

Don't love taking a running back this early and I don't see his tape as being particularly remarkable although he does have amazing speed for his size.

You have to love his production though, just hoping he hasn't been run into the ground.

Definitely not complaining and should probably feel a bit more positive having got one of the apparent best 2 running backs in the draft.

Looks like the Colts won't need to sink much money in the RB position for the foreseeable future (assuming Mack walks and Colts get comp pick).  Seems like a pretty good plan since we'll have some big second contracts to deal with in next couple years.

I do feel bad for the RBs though.  They kind of get shafted by the reality of rookie contract rules.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, esmort said:

We will look back at this pick and realize we missed out on a better player at a more important position and we payed a 5th to do it. 

Fair enough.  But try to pick that one person right now that we'll regret passing on.  Don't wait for three years to look back and cherry pick one that emerged as a star.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

A bit conflicted with this one.

Don't love taking a running back this early and I don't see his tape as being particularly remarkable although he does have amazing speed for his size.

You have to love his production though, just hoping he hasn't been run into the ground.

Definitely not complaining and should probably feel a bit more positive having got one of the apparent best 2 running backs in the draft.

Don't worry.  People didn't like taking a center and guard with our 1st rd picks and that worked out pretty good.