Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts take Jonathan Taylor RB

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chris Simms (@CSimmsQB) Tweeted: Chris Ballard got two first rounders in the 2nd Round. Ballard is as good as it gets. https://twitter.com/CSimmsQB/status/1253834232184614912?s=20

CFB - Most Rushing Attempts (Career)   Notable names to have successful NFL careers w more carries than Jonathan Taylor (926)   1. Tony Dorsett (1163) 2. Hershel Walker (994)

I don't think this has anything to do about Mack. I think it effects Wilkins more imo. Mack and Taylor are gonna be an awesome tandam

Posted Images

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

With his talent, he should be elite in the NFL. 

Hopefully.

Even though Addai had some good years we were so much more deadly when we had a legit RB type like Edge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you haven't seen his highlight reel on youtube, check it out.  It's amazing.  He's definitely a home run threat and huge number of broken tackles and yards after contact.  The fumbles are troubling and can hopefully be corrected.

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Or it gives the colts leverage when it comes time to do a contract. 

That too. If they have great success with the two, and they value it, it could work out. Mack might not get what he’s looking for elsewhere, and Ballard is the type that will encourage him to test free agency and then try to match what he gets. I doubt very seriously he’ll play behind a better line going forward...

The other great thing about taking a truly talented running back is that they can usually produce right away, unlike most receivers. It will be interesting to see which of Pittman and Taylor becomes a more consistent producer earlier.

Although, hopefully both :D.

5 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Mack was going to want big $$$

I wonder if Ballard will try and see what Marlon Mack's trade value is now. We don't really need him with getting Taylor and having Hines and Wilkins. 

• Like 2
Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

That too. If they have great success with the two, and they value it, it could work out. Mack might not get what he’s looking for elsewhere, and Ballard is the type that will encourage him to test free agency and then try to match what he gets. I doubt very seriously he’ll play behind a better line going forward...

Bc Mack has been doing well clearly regardless of injuries so ofc ppl seem confused but then you look at the contract aspect and now you’re like hmmm haha 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Neither am I. I don't really get this one.

It was a firm price. 

If Mack signs long term it becomes really steep. Becomes a high price to pay for a RB who won’t be the feature back. 

• Confused 1
7 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Ballard can easily get back a pick around there by trading down slightly with their 3rd or 4th rounder. 

we also have 2 6th

I certainly didn't think we needed a running back, but now we don't need Mack if Ballard likes Taylor better. I wonder if we could get a third-round pick for him to help us get help at corner or defensive end.

2 minutes ago, esmort said:

We will look back at this pick and realize we missed out on a better player at a more important position and we payed a 5th to do it. 

We're talking bout a 5th here... 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

You have to remember that the lifespan for RB in the NFL is pretty short (Gore is an exception).  Although I would have moved up for Kmet, I can see the sense behind this pick.  If we leave Mack to carry the load , he's only got a year or 2 left.  This way we extend Mack, and we gain the best RB out of College.  I can see them working brilliantly in tandem for a few more years.

1 minute ago, Indyfan4life said:

When Taylor lights it up this season, I want everyone that is complaining to come out and say they were wrong. 

I agree with you!!

1 minute ago, Calmack said:

whatever!!glass half empty 

• Like 1

I’m stoked about this pick.  I salivated at the idea of the Colts drafting JT but I just thought it would never even come close to happening.  Wow, Hilton, Mack, Pittman and JT....... Omg Rivers has to be in high heaven.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Calmack said:

Its not just the 5th ... its who we chose in the 2nd round ... moving up and paying a fifth just adds insult to injury.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Neither am I. I don't really get this one.

Please it's a 5th rd pick. 

3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

called it in Colts next pick 3 thread 

Me too.  I thought Dodds was talking about a RB.  

• Like 1

I like mack BUT Taylor is a whole other level, was better then Barkley in college and will be as a pro. This guys starts day 1 and goes for over 1,300 rushing yards...fast and big best college back for 3 years running

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Not a huge fan of drafting RBs high in the draft. Not a huge fan of trading up for a RB... especially since I thought we had good RB stable. To a certain degree this pick is not shocking though - it continues the theme of WIN NOW moves by Ballard. 

I cannot quibble with the player himself though. Taylor was quite possibly the best runner in the draft. He runs strong, and he has explosive traits. I've said before that I like Mack but he leaves some yards on the field... I don't think Taylor will leave many yards on the field, he gets what's there and then some more. Greg Cosell compares him to Ezekiel Elliot as a runner and I can see that comparison. He has some fumbling issues but Mack had similar issues coming in, but they largely got fixed by our coaching staff. Taylor has worked on his receiving in the last year and made some improvements there, still not dynamic as a receiver though, IMO.

1 minute ago, Kangaroo said:

You have to remember that the lifespan for RB in the NFL is pretty short (Gore is an exception).  Although I would have moved up for Kmet, I can see the sense behind this pick.  If we leave Mack to carry the load , he's only got a year or 2 left.  This way we extend Mack, and we gain the best RB out of College.  I can see them working brilliantly in tandem for a few more years.

I don't think we need them both - Wllkins and Hines are plenty good enough to fill the backup role.

Now we know who Dodds was talking about when he said he took a body shot and still kept going

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Would Mack have asked for that much money?  This was a good business move as we have a running back on the cheap for 4 years, but unless Mack were to get hurt, I can't see how it makes us better now.  

10 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Wow really good pick actually even though I don't like going RB early. He is arguable the top RB in this draft, and could be the next elite RB in the NFL, especially behind this OL.

Wonder when Ballard and the coaching staff soured on Marlon Mack. Possibly could be because of his numerous injuries. RB room will be super deep and talented this year for sure!

Because we have a QB that can go deep now, they won’t be able to stack the box...

This guy is very tough to bring down, and should have open holes to run thru

At WI EVERYONE knew he was getting the ball.... If the safeties come up to stop the run.... Campbell, Hilton, Burton, and frickin Pittman will be open all day

I like this draft

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

I like mack BUT Taylor is a whole other level, was better then Barkley in college and will be as a pro. This guys starts day 1 and goes for over 1,300 rushing yards...fast and big best college back for 3 years running

Barkley is the perfect back. Taylor is good be he is no Barkley 

• Like 1
Just now, coltsfanatic24 said:

Mack has been great for us so far and is only 24. He’s earned a big contract. Better options available imo. 

Most second contracts on top RBs end up being crappy... for the team