Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts take Jonathan Taylor RB

danlhart87

This is fun.  When was the last time we had a back the other team had to worry about?  Mack has good vision, but Taylor is athletically better and can break tackles.  It will now be impossible to stack the box.  Plus, I must add that we won our Super Bowl by running the ball.  I have a feeling this will cure our 3 and out problems.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Coltscrazy said:

This is fun.  When was the last time we had a back the other team had to worry about?  Mack has good vision, but Taylor is athletically better and can break tackles.  It will now be impossible to stack the box.  Plus, I must add that we won our Super Bowl by running the ball.  I have a feeling this will cure our 3 and out problems.

Taylor is a Homerun hitter. 4.39 40 for a 230 lb running back is impressive. 10.4 100 meter dash is more impressive. Dude is fast and can play ball. 

32 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

When Taylor lights it up this season, I want everyone that is complaining to come out and say they were wrong. 

Mack and Wilkins  already do. Wilkins with almost 6ypc.. you know how crazy that is? Mack over a 1000 yard rusher.. 

14 minutes ago, Calmack said:

You keep spewing this but cmon... Barkley is a literal FREAK. He's in another league compared to Taylor. 

16 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Taylor is faster than Barkley and stronger than barkley vs the some competition in Big 10 taylor was better time and again

Both RBs are elite athletic freaks. I dont think its fare to compare one who was a rookie and one who hasnt played yet. But both are the cream of the crop.

48 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I don't think this has anything to do about Mack. I think it effects Wilkins more imo. Mack and Taylor are gonna be an awesome tandam

Mack and Taylor will likely be an awesome random for one year.   Then we likely let Mack go in free agency.   Then in ‘21, Taylor starts and Wilkins backs him up in the last year of his rookie contract. 

31 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

This means they'll cut either Wilkins or Hines. Great pick up though in Taylor.

It doesn’t mean anything right now.   We don’t have to have answers in April.   The season doesn’t start until September.  Long time between now and then. 

Keep your powder dry.   

11 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Taylor is the first player in NCAA history to run for over 6,000 yards in first 3 seasons.....an he was a BIG 10 track and field star,no knock on Barkley but Taylor has a different level of speed...

Not sure how good this is... It means he already has tons of wear and tear. Hopefully he keeps being as durable as he's been.

34 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Mack has an incredible work ethic. Think he has a lot of elite years left in him. Great vision and speed behind an elite offensive line. The best RB we’ve had since Edge. Taylor was good value in the 2nd for another team, but not for us with other blue chip talent on the board. 

Mack will likely want 9 to 10 mill a year on a 3-5 year contract.   That’s not a very safe investment in a RB.  

Life for a RB in the NFL is not fair.  Mack is a good example.  

42 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Hi Ed is the only RB who can catch out of the backfield.... And he's great in open space.

He is which is why he has a place on this team namely in passing downs.  I am not suggesting Hines should be let go.  However if you are talking about him as the backup running back he’s not that.  They have spent two years trying to get Wilkins to lock down the role and outside of one big run vs the Titans he hasn’t done much.  So it’s not like the running back spot couldn’t use an upgrade.

Add into that Mack is going into the last year of his deal and he has had some injury issues and taking a guy who can be the other half of a two headed monster makes sense.  

add into that Taylor could be a really special player I think.  Him and Mack behind this line is going to be nightmare to stop and then oh yeah you have Rivers and the passing game behind that.  

let’s also remember the Colts carried four running backs last year, granted they did not have a full back last year either but it’s not impossible they could keep Mack, Taylor, Hines, and Wilkins.

I heard an interview with Irsay where he said a couple of things.  First that getting Pittman and Taylor was the dream scenario tonight.  The second was they had really good intel another team was going to take Taylor before 44.  That looks to be the Jags.  So not only did you get a good player who can help your team you kept him away from a division rival.  

Also for those upset about giving up the fifth I don’t like it either but the Seahawks gave up a second and third to move up to the Jets pick after the Colts pick.  Giving up a fifth doesn’t look so bad now.

This reminds me a little bit of when Dallas had Demarco Murray. The Cowboys had a great oline and Murray won a rushing title in his 4th season. Dallas didn't want to give him a big contract and ended up replacing him with Ezekiel Elliott. Murray never matched that level of production again and was out of football three years later. And we all know what Elliott has done.

I didn’t expect us to move up for a RB in the 2nd round. With that said, this guy is a B E A S T! We haven’t had a flashy RB like this since Edge. We’re going to have 1 hell of a 2 headed running back monster this season. I think Mack could walk in FA but if this plays out, we have his replacement on the cheap. 

27 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Hmmmmmm......has Irsay taken over the GM reigns this year?  Not disagreeing with what Ballard has done this offseason. In fact, I like a lotvof his moves.  Just seems so unlike him.

A blind man could see this O lacked playmakers.  We had TY, that's it.  Our RBs are JAGS.  Doyle is a nice TE but he's really just a chain mover.

Ballard woke up.  And its nice to see that he traded up to get a player rather than down to get more depth/devlopmental guys.

Now all we need is Jake Fromm at 75 and Harrison Bryant at 122 and we'll have a perfect draft.

LOL

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

A blind man could see this O lacked playmakers.  We had TY, that's it.  Our RBs are JAGS.  Doyle is a nice TE but he's really just a chain mover.

Ballard woke up.  And its nice to see that he traded up to get a player rather than down to get more depth/devlopmental guys.

Now all we need is Jake Fromm at 75 and Harrison Bryant at 122 and we'll have a perfect draft.

LOL

The Taylor picked floored me. I am not thr critiquing the pick.  I just thought it would come next year.  However, Reich really wants a punishing running game and Mack just can't be trusted with his injury history. I would also like Fromm, but I am not sure he is drafting a qb this year.

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Mack and Taylor will likely be an awesome random for one year.   Then we likely let Mack go in free agency.   Then in ‘21, Taylor starts and Wilkins backs him up in the last year of his rookie contract. 

Unless Taylor comes in a completely balls out, I can't see the colts just giving the backfield to just Taylor after one year

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Unless Taylor comes in a completely balls out, I can't see the colts just giving the backfield to just Taylor after one year

Probably minority opinion, but if could get a third or fourth rounder right now for Mack, I’d do it.  

7 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

The Taylor picked floored me. I am not thr critiquing the pick.  I just thought it would come next year.  However, Reich really wants a punishing running game and Mack just can't be trusted with his injury history. I would also like Fromm, but I am not sure he is drafting a qb this year.

I'm half-kidding about Fromm.  I mean, if we draft him then I'm confident Ballard and Reich don't see him having as many limitations as everybody else sees.  That's in the weeds of QB evaluation and I really have no idea about that.

I think we're going TE and OT.  Give Rivers as much help and protection as possible.  Its the usual play that GMs do when they hire an expensive QB, so that's on my expectations list.

BTW.......

image.png.7c0dc2ae16e9b9647488ae80a95aab98.png

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

We just traded UP to take a top running back, and you don’t think he will start in year two?!?

What the....?

You don’t remember we started Marlon Mack in his second year (2018) after his rookie deal?   And Mack didn’t have much of a rookie year.  And you don’t think we’d do the same with Jonathon Taylor?!?  

Really?   Seriously?  

This is all recent history. 

1 hour ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Any decent RB can rush for over 1,000 yard behind this elite offensive line. We still have Mack and Hines. Taylor is obviously a good player but there were much better options available. 

Why have a decent  player when you can have an elite player!

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

We just traded UP to take a top running back, and you don’t think he will start in year two?!?

What the....?

You don’t remember we started Marlon Mack in his second year (2018) after his rookie deal?   And Mack didn’t have much of a rookie year.  And you don’t think we’d do the same with Jonathon Taylor?!?  

Really?   Seriously?  

This is all recent history. 

I'm just saying. The kid was only drafted an hour ago. Let's actually see what we have before we start pushing Mack out of Indy

Archived