Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Draft grades

Four2itus

Chad Reuter is someone that I consider to be fair in his opinions some of the time. However, I was interested in how he graded the Colts trade of the 13th pick for Dbuck. As I was reading his comments (see below), I got to the part where he said (bolded) that there was no guarantee..... and I just knew he was going to say, "...be as good as Buckner".....but no. It was that there was no guarantee that he would be available. He did point out that Kinlaw would be cheaper, but failed to mentioned that a cheap failure or lesser player is not a better deal. 

Indianapolis Colts

Draft pick: None

Day 1 grade and analysis: B
Indianapolis acquired a known commodity in former 49ers defensive lineman DeForest Buckner when it traded the 13th overall pick for him earlier this offseason. However, the Colts could have kept their pick and selected interior defensive lineman Javon Kinlaw to be a similar difference-maker at that spot -- at a much lower price. That said, there was no guarantee Kinlaw would be available, and the team's relatively short window with new quarterback Philip Rivers makes it an understandable trade.

Chad Reuter's reasoning is like the casual fan, IMO. His opinions may be fair but here are my issues with his reasoning.

Things he did not think about/mention:

1. No guarantee Ballard picks Kinlaw, even if available, is glossed over.

2. No mention of possible medical red flags regarding Kinlaw, and a team like the Colts with no marquee interior presence not being able to afford that risk like the 49ers.

3. Plus, the time it takes for a very good rookie DT prospect to get seasoned, which is typically 2-3 years. 

5 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Indianapolis Colts

Draft pick: None

Day 1 grade and analysis: B
Indianapolis acquired a known commodity in former 49ers defensive lineman DeForest Buckner when it traded the 13th overall pick for him earlier this offseason. However, the Colts could have kept their pick and selected interior defensive lineman Javon Kinlaw to be a similar difference-maker at that spot -- at a much lower price. That said, there was no guarantee Kinlaw would be available, and the team's relatively short window with new quarterback Philip Rivers makes it an understandable trade.

Besides no guarantee he would be available, there is no guarantee on his questionable health or that he would prove to be good in the NFL.  

2 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Nobody knows for sure Kinlaw would be "a  similar difference maker" as he puts it.

My least favorite thing about draft season (and the immediate reactions) is people acting like they know what these players are going to become. 

Then out of the other side of their mouths, they say things like 'the draft is a total crap shoot.' 

This Kinlaw analysis assumes that he'll turn out to be even a good player, let alone an All Pro level player like Buckner has been. Statistically, there's like a 40/60 chance that Kinlaw even winds up being good, let alone worthy of the 13th pick. 

Every 9ers fan would rather have Buckner over Kinlaw everyday.  I’m a former Chargers fan and consensus everyone is pretty bummed with Herbert pick.  They’d rather have Rivers any day over Herbert (Oregon #6 pick who could blossom) or Tyrod Taylor.

I think so far this offseason is an A+.  I think Ballard seems like a good GM and excited about the rest of this draft!

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

My least favorite thing about draft season (and the immediate reactions) is people acting like they know what these players are going to become. 

Then out of the other side of their mouths, they say things like 'the draft is a total crap shoot.' 

This Kinlaw analysis assumes that he'll turn out to be even a good player, let alone an All Pro level player like Buckner has been. Statistically, there's like a 40/60 chance that Kinlaw even winds up being good, let alone worthy of the 13th pick. 

We basically traded Kinlaw for Buckner I would do that 100 out of 100 times.

35 minutes ago, Beardog said:

Every 9ers fan would rather have Buckner over Kinlaw everyday.  I’m a former Chargers fan and consensus everyone is pretty bummed with Herbert pick.  They’d rather have Rivers any day over Herbert (Oregon #6 pick who could blossom) or Tyrod Taylor.

I think so far this offseason is an A+.  I think Ballard seems like a good GM and excited about the rest of this draft!

From Niners nation, "I'd rather catch the corona than lose Buckner"

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Chad Reuter's reasoning is like the casual fan, IMO. His opinions may be fair but here are my issues with his reasoning.

2. No mention of possible medical red flags regarding Kinlaw, and a team like the Colts with no marquee interior presence not being able to afford that risk like the 49ers.

3. Plus, the time it takes for a very good rookie DT prospect to get seasoned, which is typically 2-3 years. 

I truly beleive that the main reason they traded out of the 13th pick is this. They wanted a 3 technique badly this year . This D is ineffective without one. They knew Brown and Kinlaw would need a trade up. Brown was drafted at #7 and that could have been expensive. I thought Kinlaw was gone at 9 and when he got to 14, I was like oh wow.  Remember, he sat out the combine and senior bowl. Therefore, Brown was to pricey and Kinlaw scared the Colts. 

From Bleacher Report....

Indianapolis Colts: A- 

Indianapolis has had the best draft of any team without a first-round pick.

The Colts were aggressive from the start Friday by adding USC wide receiver Michael Pittman Jr. at No. 34 and trading up to No. 41 to take Wisconsin running back Jonathan Taylor. 

In the third round, they brought in Utah safety Julian Blackmon, who was a stalwart for one of the best defenses in college football. 

Taylor could be the most important pick of the three, especially if the Colts do not hold on to Marlon Mack. Although Taylor carried the ball 320 times in his junior season, he does not have any injury issues and will not wear himself down alongside Mack in his rookie campaign.

Well...if it was that good without counting Dbuck?

On 4/24/2020 at 1:15 PM, Superman said:

IMO . this was a great trade as we have no salary cap issues. When we have to pay Q , Leonard and Smith , the cap will be higher . Plus Castonzo , Houston and probably Hilton will be off the books. Plus Doyle will be expendable if room is needed. So the only issue if Buckner being 4 years older . No big deal as Buckner has probably 5 great years left. Considering our cap , now and the next few years , it was a no-brainer. 

On paper I love this draft but that’s on paper.  How it plays out on the field will be the real test.

They got two impact starters in Pittman and Taylor that can be playmakers that the offense needed badly.

Blackmon can be groomed to replace Hooker and could be a starter one day.

They might have gotten their QB of the future.  

From there they added needed depth.  The more I learned about the Ball State kid the more I liked him.

They shipped off Wilson a kid they had clearly given up on and added another corner to start over with who could be a kick returner.

they added another big body WR which coming into this draft they had none of and now have two.

they also added a kid from Michigan that will probably help on special teams and could be a reserve at either safety or linebacker.  Reminds me a little of Cato June.

On 4/24/2020 at 4:15 PM, Superman said:

Starting to sound like me now! :)

2 hours ago, dw49 said:

IMO . this was a great trade as we have no salary cap issues. When we have to pay Q , Leonard and Smith , the cap will be higher . Plus Castonzo , Houston and probably Hilton will be off the books. Plus Doyle will be expendable if room is needed. So the only issue if Buckner being 4 years older . No big deal as Buckner has probably 5 great years left. Considering our cap , now and the next few years , it was a no-brainer. 

We have a ton of free agents next year, but we only have $86m committed. Let's call it $100m, once we include the rookie class. We'll be okay on the cap.

Is Eason > Nate Sudfeld? meh
   We added 2 Extremely good difference makers for next season.
   Blackmon might be an upgrade someday. His slight frame bodes poorly re: health risk.

Little Isaiah looks promising. 
    Pinter has a ceiling South of Glow who is a jag.

And a few practice squad maybe types.
   A good draft.

On 4/24/2020 at 5:05 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

I truly beleive that the main reason they traded out of the 13th pick is this. They wanted a 3 technique badly this year . This D is ineffective without one. They knew Brown and Kinlaw would need a trade up. Brown was drafted at #7 and that could have been expensive. I thought Kinlaw was gone at 9 and when he got to 14, I was like oh wow.  Remember, he sat out the combine and senior bowl. Therefore, Brown was to pricey and Kinlaw scared the Colts. 

Yes, they finally realized the importance of the 3Tech and wanted a probowl or All American at the position instead of drafting a rookie!  Remember, Kinlaw;s knees are a concern and at that position what is the #1 most important part?  Leverage my friends and what do you not have with bad knees?  Leverage my friends!  Why not go with a known commodity and known Probowler/All American for a 13th pick?  

On 4/24/2020 at 12:38 PM, chad72 said:

Yeah.... Reuter lost me when he had us taking a Kicker in the 5th round.

But I think the Buckner deal could be a win-win trade.... and I actually hope Kinlaw has a nice career.

Given those medical red flags though, Ballard absolutely made the right move trading #13 for Buckner... and regardless of the cost he’s a damn sight better than any Colts DT that I can remember.

Archived