Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rapoport now says Indy never called about trading up for Jordan Love

James

Rapoport now says the same thing that Stephen Holder and Jim Ayello said about the Colts not intending to trade up.

The Colts traded the 13th overall pick, which could be seen as a sign that they didn't love Love.

They also didn't call about trading up to get Love, which also can be seen as a sign that they didn't love Love.

Can we let it go now?

I was intrigued by Love too, but clearly Ballard wasn't to the degree of wanting to trade up to get him. 

If the Colts felt Love was a true franchise QB, they wouldn't have signed Rivers and traded the 13th.  Whatever interest there was from the Colts, it much exaggerated, to the point the Packers felt compelled to move up.

3 minutes ago, #12. said:

If the Colts felt Love was a true franchise QB, they wouldn't have signed Rivers and traded the 13th.  Whatever interest there was from the Colts, it much exaggerated, to the point the Packers felt compelled to move up.

This isn’t  true. He isn’t ready to play so if was the future having Rivers was perfect. They clearly didn’t want him.

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This isn’t  true. He isn’t ready to play so if was the future having Rivers was perfect. They clearly didn’t want him.

If they clearly didn't want Love, what does signing Rivers have to do with anything?

I don't think we ever intended to take Love. That was just something many fans wanted. Ballard would've kept the 13th pick if he thought Love would be great. Ballard and Reich both must've seen something they didn't like about him. Sometimes GM's and coaches get a bad vibe about players. As a fan I have a bad vibe about Herbert and I am one that doesn't think Tua will last long because he is injury prone.

19 minutes ago, #12. said:

If they clearly didn't want Love, what does signing Rivers have to do with anything?

Well having Rivers on the roster did have something to do with the Colts feeling the need for a QB regardless if it was Love or not. 

So yeah, Rivers did have something to do with it. 

23 minutes ago, #12. said:

You said if hey had wanted Love they wouldn’t of signed RIvers. That’s simply isn’t true.  Having Love sit behind Rivers would of been a good situation because Love isn’t ready.  The colts clearly didn’t want Love by their actions last night.

To move up, we’d have likely lost a pick in this year’s draft for QB who will not take a snap next season.  We only have seven picks - and now six with one being basically idle is a high price.  Colts can compete at a high level, and drafting players who can plug holes and contribute Season One is more important than a possible (possible) down the road QB solution. 

3 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Either way Ballard will (and should) be linked to Jordan Love. Colts had a need, had the pick and chose not to take him. Right or wrong its part of Ballards draft record now. 

I am certain we will be in the market for Rodgers in 2 years from now before the 2022 season. From Rivers to Rodgers won't be a bad transition if the Packers want to get rid of Rodgers bad then, they'd rather him go to the AFC for sure, and Danica Patrick will love to be back in Indy too. :) 

OK I can live with this. Along with every other piece of evidence that Ballard has given us this season, this points to us just not liking Love enough. Like I've said before, even though I was probably his biggest fan here, I realize Ballard and co. have much better information about his make up and if they didn't trust him in that respect I'm good with it.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

OK I can live with this. Along with every other piece of evidence that Ballard has given us this season, this points to us just not liking Love enough. Like I've said before, even though I was probably his biggest fan here, I realize Ballard and co. have much better information about his make up and if they didn't trust him in that respect I'm good with it.

I actually liked Love. The 3 QB's I like in this draft were Burrow obviously, Love, and Gordon has me intrigued. Tua's injuries just scare me too much.

I am still puzzled why the Pack would take Love? Rodgers is a top 5 QB in the league, his team just went to the NFC Title Game, and he looks like he is far from done. He is 100% healthy. He looks like he could play another 3 or 4 years, basically until he's 40. I can't picture Love holding a clip board for 3 years lmao 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Talking through both sides of his mouth, at least this one he put it in writing, Ian Rappoport that is. 

I think he was walking back the earlier  statement rather than "talking out of both sides of his mouth."

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am still puzzled why the Pack would take Love? Rodgers is a top 5 QB in the league, his team just went to the NFC Title Game, and he looks like he is far from done. He is 100% healthy. He looks like he could play another 3 or 4 years, basically until he's 40. I can't picture Love holding a clip board for 3 years lmao 

There has to be more going on behind the scenes because it makes no sense to do what they did.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would say it's obvious, if Love shows signs of being able to take over the reigns next year, the Packers will deal Rodgers.  

GB has a young head coach and it was no secret that he and Rodgers butted heads last year at the beginning of the season.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

AR is the same age and level as BF was when GB drafted him

Just now, Coffeedrinker said:

I would say it's obvious, if Love shows signs of being able to take over the reigns next year, the Packers will deal Rodgers.  

GB has a young head coach and it was no secret that he and Rodgers butted heads last year at the beginning of the season.

Like I said in another thread, natural transition from Rivers to Rodgers (who the Packers would be glad to send to the AFC) in a couple of years bringing Danica Patrick back to Indy in 2022. You heard it here first. :) 

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

AR is the same age and level as BF was when GB drafted him

I get that but he is healthy and is a top 5 QB in the league. 36 isn't old now days, great QB's play until they are 40. Unless he is having a problem with management or the coach, the pick makes no sense to me. 

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Like I said in another thread, natural transition from Rivers to Rodgers (who the Packers would be glad to send to the AFC) in a couple of years bringing Danica Patrick back to Indy in 2022. You heard it here first. :) 

I would love getting Rodgers next year, he is a top 10 QB of all-time and still could give us 2 or 3 great years. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Talking through both sides of his mouth, at least this one he put it in writing, Ian Rappoport that is. 

He’s not. People misrepresented what he said last night.  I watched the video and he pretty much said the same thing there as he did here which is the Packers traded up because of fears that the Colts might be trying to move up.  He never said for a fact they were.  My guess is that he was going on what the Packers told him not the Colts and the Packers have no way of knowing if the Colts were trying to move up or not they just knew the same reports that we did that the Colts could very well be interested in Love and might want to move up to get him.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I get that but he is healthy and is a top 5 QB in the league. 36 isn't old now days, great QB's play until they are 40. Unless he is having a problem with management or the coach, the pick makes no sense to me. 

He almost pulled a Buddy Ryan last year

1 hour ago, #12. said:

Having two QBs on the roster the Colts feel can be starters (and yes while most fans  have given up on Brissett it’s pretty clear the Colts have not) would really decrease the need to take a QB high, especially when you have as many other areas of need as the Colts do.

23 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

If they deal Rodgers they are complete fools, JMO. He is healthy. This isn't a Peyton situation where Peyton had neck issues and we had Luck coming out. 

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If they deal Rodgers they are complete fools, JMO. He is healthy. This isn't a Peyton situation where Peyton had neck issues and we had Luck coming out. 

He will force his way out. I think after this year, and I think we will have a good chance at bringing him in.

Not a big fan of his personally, think hes a *, but I would let him end his career here.

8 hours ago, #12. said:

If the Colts felt Love was a true franchise QB, hey wouldn't have signed Rivers and traded the 13th.  Whatever interest there was from the Colts, it much exaggerated, to the point the Packers felt compelled to move up.

well see if love turns into a hall of fame QB you will feel sick to your stomach missing 20 years of elite QB . the colts could be without a franchise QB for 20 years.  teams are still looking for a franchise Qb 20 years later after they had a hall of fame QB.    ballard watched love in person so much last year.  ballard did like love he just thought he would fall to him later which almost happened only about 7 picks away .  ballard is not gonna trade multiple picks that is not him . If love fell into the second round ballard would of taken him no doubt .   AT least james morgan is still available . i just want at least one draft pick to be a young QB rivers is washed up lost his arm strength and threw 22 picks last year .

And to top it off...

Tonight Ballard was asked specifically about it.   Did he try to trade up for Love?

And Ballard said from roughly pick 19 he was sitting back relaxing eating popcorn.    Said they didn’t make one single call.   Not one.    Was happy to do nothing and let the first round play out.    And Ballard said he noticed stories about the Colts trying to move up and other teams moving up to beat them.   Said it never happened. 

21 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree, I was fully expecting them to take a WR. Maybe Rodgers and management aren't getting a long. 

Maybe this helped us get Pittman (who we really wanted). 

Smokescreen! haha

Archived