Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Rosen

Pointz

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

A guy on his third team in three years and not being able to beat out Fitz magic has bust written all over him.

I agree it’s risky but we wouldn’t have to give up much and could see if Reich could work his magic. Could be low risk with a high reward.

1 minute ago, Pointz said:

I agree it’s risky but we wouldn’t have to give up much and could see if Reich could work his magic. Could be low risk with a high reward.

I just don’t see it.  I think Ballard would be more likely to go forward with a rookie.  Also, I know fans have given up on Jacoby but the Colts have no.  I don’t see them trying revive Rosens career and continue to develop Jacoby but strange things have happened.

Literally I've loved him since he came out of college and I've brought him up on this forum a few times. I definitely think he would do well with our team. Let him sit 2 years behind Rivers and give him something he hasn't had his entire career, an o line that isn't ranked the 32nd every year he's played. 

53 minutes ago, Pointz said:

He has to be available with the Dolphins having a new rookie QB and them keeping a veteran to tutor him. Shouldn’t take more than a late pick and we can use our other picks on weapons for Rivers.

Absolutely not, he would be a waste of a pick and a roster spot. We already have Rivers and Jacoby as the backup where does Rosen fit in there? Also Rosen is awful, he couldn’t even beat out Fitzmagik 

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

A guy on his third team in three years and not being able to beat out Fitz magic has bust written all over him.

How DARE you besmirch Ryan Fitzpatrick?! He's beaten the evil empire with all the rest of the AFC East teams! LOL

But really, I feel bad for Josh kinda.. lol 

If you ever wonder why many other teams have cycled through one starting QB after another....

I saw last night where the Dolphins have had 21 different starters under center since Marino retired.  They’re not alone in that.

The Colts were very fortunate to have Manning and Luck (almost) back-to-back.  Top tier QBs are rare and very hard to come by and, as such, the competition to get them is obviously fierce.  And very few teams become contenders without one.

Moreover, so many of the prospects don’t pan out.

I sure hope we haven’t joined that group of franchises.  I have faith in Chris Ballard.  But even the best front offices have to rely on some measure of good fortune.

7 hours ago, Pointz said:

He's not better than any QB on our roster right now.

14 minutes ago, Myles said:

I wouldn't mind having Rosen on the roster.   

Maybe he’s worth a shot.  It’s not as if we’re brimming with options after Rivers hangs it up.

But, yeah, it says quite a bit that both of the teams that have made big bets on him chose to move on after just one season. 

28 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Maybe he’s worth a shot.  It’s not as if we’re brimming with options after Rivers hangs it up.

But, yeah, it says quite a bit that both of the teams that have made big bets on him chose to move on after just one season. 

He played for 2 very poor teams.   I don't think he is good.   I don't know.   I just think that the buy price is so low that it is worth a shot.  Just a couple years ago, many had him as the best QB in the draft.  For those who like to use the Mel Kiper rankings, Rosen was Kipers first choice at QB.  

Learning behind Rivers for a year or 2 could prove to be worth it.  

When you can take a chance on Jameis Winston or Cam Newton, why would you even consider Josh Rosen unless it is for a backup position? Maybe the Eagles might consider him for a backup position, or the Giants, now that Eli has retired.

Mariota was the smart one, realized he was backup material, and got his $8 million plus, while Winston and Newton still holding out for that big $20 mil. starter money.

3 minutes ago, ThinBlueLineColts said:

He was my favorite QB in the draft. AZ moving him isn’t a big deal cause Kinsbury had history with Murray so no big deal. But Miami choosing to play Fitz over letting Rosen get playing time is concerning. I wouldn’t do it anymore. 

You make good points, but are you sure you wouldn't do it?    I'm thinking if the team wouldn't have to give up much, maybe a 5th round pick.  Not saying we give him the starter role, Rivers has that.  The buy price is so low now that I think it would be worth having him in case he can be groomed.   This will only be his 3rd year in the NFL.  2 years ago many experts had him as the best of the bunch in that draft.   The Arizona grades on this pick were great.  I just fail to believe that 1 season on a bad Cardinal team and 1 season on the worst team in the league means he cannot be salvaged.  

NFL.com: A

Chad Reuter writes: "Rosen is the best pure pocket passer in the draft. The Cardinals need to protect him, but if they do, he'll be a Pro Bowler. Giving up third- and fifth-round picks was more than reasonable for a player of his caliber."

CBS Sports: A

Pete Prisco writes: "They make the smart move to go up and get the guy who might be the most NFL-ready passer."

SB Nation: A

Dan Kadar writes: "Josh Rosen is the best quarterback in this draft. Arizona was smart to go up from the 15th pick and get him. After Carson Palmer retired, the Cardinals brought in Sam Bradford, but he’s merely a stop gap for Rosen. He’s the most pure passer in this class, and he can pick apart all areas of the field. If you like the classic quarterback — which Palmer and Bradford are — Rosen is your guy. The problem for Arizona is keeping the pocket clean for Rosen. He can get rattled at times when the pocket collapses, and Arizona’s line is shaky. This grade might go up if they can put some players in front of him."

SI.com: A-

Andy Benoit writes: "The Cardinals reportedly decided near draft time that they wouldn’t be trading up for a quarterback, but that was before they knew the most polished QB in this draft would still be available this late in the draft. Rosen was an acute field-reader at UCLA and plays a timing-and-rhythm brand of football, which usually translates well to the pros. It’s one reason he’s known for his ability to throw receivers open. He is a great fit for offensive coordinator Mike McCoy’s multifaceted passing game."

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

When you can take a chance on Jameis Winston or Cam Newton, why would you even consider Josh Rosen unless it is for a backup position? Maybe the Eagles might consider him for a backup position, or the Giants, now that Eli has retired.

Rosen would come cheap and could just compete for the back up role.  He's young.  

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

Rosen would come cheap and could just compete for the back up role.  He's young.  

Rosen strikes me as simply an unlikable guy because of his statements and an entitled attitude that compromised his work ethic. He doesn't get any breaks, and gets piled on.

When he grows up, he could put it all together. 

I don't think he's tried real hard yet, maybe doesn't even know how to work hard.  That's the problem with entitlement, even if a person wants to work, they don't really know how to since they've never done it.

18 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Rosen strikes me as simply an unlikable guy because of his statements and an entitled attitude that compromised his work ethic. He doesn't get any breaks, and gets piled on.

When he grows up, he could put it all together. 

I don't think he's tried real hard yet, maybe doesn't even know how to work hard.  That's the problem with entitlement, even if a person wants to work, they don't really know how to since they've never done it.

Good points.   I think he has probably been humbled a bit.  Bringing him in to compete for a back up role would humble him even more.  

I see where many people are glad the "Love" story is over since he got drafted by the Packers.  I'd be happy when the Rosen story is over...  What is it with this guy that so many people make so many excuses for him and want to give him a 3rd chance when he has shown nothing on the NFL level that should garner him so much praise? 

Is he any better than Paxton Lynch, Geno Smith, or Blake Bortles?  If he gets a 3rd chance and busts again, will that be the end of the "Rosen" story?  I feel like the NFL has a good old boys club thing going on with QB's where they keep certain ones in the league to get checks as backups for a decade when most of them aren't deserving at all.

He's played 2 seasons in the NFL with 2 bad teams. 

The only reasons I would give him a chance:

He's young and was the best QB in the 2018 draft according to many of the top experts

He would be cheap

He wouldn't be competing for the starter role, just the back up

12 hours ago, Pointz said:

Conditional 7th round pick in the 2021 draft. If he isn’t a starter for the colts in 1/4 of the season, they get nothing. 

28 minutes ago, Myles said:

He's played 2 seasons in the NFL with 2 bad teams. 

The only reasons I would give him a chance:

He's young and was the best QB in the 2018 draft according to many of the top experts

He would be cheap

He wouldn't be competing for the starter role, just the back up

If we're going to find somewhere to send JB, and could get Rosen for a future 5th/6th, I'd consider it.

But at a certain point you have to throw out two year old evaluations and wonder what the problem is with Rosen. Even bad teams aren't eagerly getting rid of cheap, promising young QBs. He's not had ideal situations, for sure, but he's also not doing anything to make his teams think he can be a starting caliber QB.

Ten years ago, a guy like Rosen would be given a serious chance to start. Right now, there's an excess of QBs that teams feel like they can win with. 

I was a big Rosen fan in the draft, but you have to consider new information when it comes your way. The new information is not very good on Rosen - two team with need at QB have given up on him two years in a row. And one of them was Miami who didn't even give him 5 games before they put in the journeyman of the NFL Ryan Fitzpatrick.

He wasn't put in the best situation to succeed, but it seems like he didn't do much with both his chances either. I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him if he came extremely cheap, but I wouldn't be giving up anything of value for him. 

12 hours ago, Pointz said:

I like Reich a lot but what magic r u referring to? What qb has Reich developed?  I think people throw around the term qb whisper without providing any evidence.

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

If we're going to find somewhere to send JB, and could get Rosen for a future 5th/6th, I'd consider it.

But at a certain point you have to throw out two year old evaluations and wonder what the problem is with Rosen. Even bad teams aren't eagerly getting rid of cheap, promising young QBs. He's not had ideal situations, for sure, but he's also not doing anything to make his teams think he can be a starting caliber QB.

Ten years ago, a guy like Rosen would be given a serious chance to start. Right now, there's an excess of QBs that teams feel like they can win with. 

That's why I think getting him to groom would be good if he could be had cheap.   It's just a low risk/high reward option for me.  Could cut him at anytime if the coaching crew don't like what they see in practice.  

15 minutes ago, stitches said:

I was a big Rosen fan in the draft, but you have to consider new information when it comes your way. The new information is not very good on Rosen - two team with need at QB have given up on him two years in a row. And one of them was Miami who didn't even give him 5 games before they put in the journeyman of the NFL Ryan Fitzpatrick.

He wasn't put in the best situation to succeed, but it seems like he didn't do much with both his chances either. I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him if he came extremely cheap, but I wouldn't be giving up anything of value for him. 

I feel the same.   

Any chance they just flat out release him?  I have no problem bringing him in to compete.  I would just hate to give up anything more than a LATE round pick for him though.  I say that because I  wouldn't be shocked at all to see both JB & Kelly beat him out in a competition. They would have the inside track with more time in Frank's playbook.  If we can somehow move JB today, I would rather go after Hurts or Fromm. 

I wasn't very high on Fromm because of some of his traits (like smaller hands and not the biggest arm) but then I started to remember that we we play at least 9 games a year in a controlled environment...  So weather wouldn't be a great hindrance for him for the majority of the time (unless we had to go to KC or Baltimore in January)... 

Him being our pick is starting to grow on me more though.  His mobility in the pocket and some other things need work but a year watching behind Rivers could help him out.  I'd rather try to get Hurts or Fromm with our second 2nd or 3rd round pick than spend a pick on Rosen.

31 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I like Reich a lot but what magic r u referring to? What qb has Reich developed?  I think people throw around the term qb whisper without providing any evidence.

Reich reignited Foles’ career in Philadelphia and also helped Andrew Luck make strides in his game.

9 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Any chance they just flat out release him?  I have no problem bringing him in to compete.  I would just hate to give up anything more than a LATE round pick for him though. 

That's how I feel.   I am NOT in favor of the Colts getting him because I'm convinced he could be the QB of the future.   I am in favor of getting him if it didn't take much to get him and he competed for a back up role.  

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

That's how I feel.   I am NOT in favor of the Colts getting him because I'm convinced he could be the QB of the future.   I am in favor of getting him if it didn't take much to get him and he competed for a back up role.  

Strange thing is, I think whoever is the backup is very likely to play this year or next.  I can envision a scenario where Rivers gets Bledsoe'd...  Guy has a solid team around him.  Gets hurt.  The backup comes in and leads the team to the mountaintop...  Rivers seems like that kind of guy (cursed to be a bridesmaid & never the bride) that will never win the big one.  While his draft classmates have 2 each.

Archived